By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for IRT

Here is a list of all the postings IRT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: varifocals
31/08/2020 15:59:16

I find they are great for normal use. I have probably been wearing them now for about 10 years, and to be honest I do not know I have them on. I do however stub my toe on things much more than I used to. Probably better to start early with them when the difference between the two lenses may not be very much. It may be easier to get used to them then.

If you do any carpentry you won't be able to trust yours eyes any more and will have to check everything against a straight edge.

My safety glasses are still single lens. I do a bit of TIG welding, and had problems trying to focus on the weld because I found I was not always able to adjust my head to get the focus.

Thread: Chinese LCD DRO
12/08/2020 21:14:58

I have been watching and re-watching videos. One chap called ADE recently posted a very good series of 4 videos fitting a DRO to a Warco WM16. At the moment I am considering following his approach.

Anyone with any advice/pictures/links that may help would be appreciated.

12/08/2020 16:42:37

As nobody has come back with any horror stories, I decided to take the gamble.

An LCD display and 3 scales have arrived over the last few days.

All seem to work okay and look to be reasonable quality.

I have fitted the easy bit:20200812_162152.jpg

Thread: Anyone made Myfordboy's powered hacksaw?
07/08/2020 18:47:46

I then tried some 2 1/4" aluminium.

This took 17 minutes to get through. I appreciate it is much slower than a bandsaw, but it is much quicker than me - I have been thinking about cutting a bit off for weeks and have got nowhere.

hsaw_5.jpg

I need to look up the duty cycle of the motor. It reached 60 deg C and it is baking hot in the garage today.

The cut is not quite square, but again far better than I could do by hand.

hsaw_6.jpg

07/08/2020 16:24:57

We finally had some decent weather last weekend so I could rub off the worst of the paint and try again. A bit better this time.

The saw is finally finished:

hsaw_1.jpg

hsaw_2.jpg

It cuts square and true:

hsaw_3.jpg

hsaw_4.jpg

The display can't be seen in the last picture, but I posted it to show it cuts parallel. I think it was about 0.5mm with no special attempt to cut really thin.

As for the spreed of cut - it took 2 minutes and 15 seconds to go through a 20 mm round bar on EN3. Probably quicker than I could do it be hand.

I put a video up on YouTube to show it running:

**LINK**

It sounds much louder in the video than it really is.

Thread: Chinese LCD DRO
28/07/2020 17:35:33

One of the models is a ToAuto DRO-3VA.

Others look to be the seem thing but re-badged.

28/07/2020 17:24:32

Ooops! Sorry. I will rework the question...

I was considering the higher end options with the magnetic scales, but it is a lot of money for a hobby machine.

I have seen some budget LCD DROs with optical scales from the usual Chinese suppliers. These look more intuitive to use than the older LED ones, but I cannot find much in the way of reviews as they seem to be a fairly new offering.

Has anyone had any experience of these?

27/07/2020 22:35:00

I want to fit a DRO to my mill. Has anyone any experience of these?

Link removed see Code of Conduct

Edited By JasonB on 28/07/2020 07:08:32

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
20/07/2020 13:31:14

I finally got around to making a lathe carriage stop:

a.jpg

I still need to replace the bolt with some threaded rod.

11/07/2020 10:05:47

So much for making it pretty.

I know as soon as I pick up a paint brush or aerosol things are going to go downhill. This morning was no exception.

I have runs, bubbles, and insufficient coverage in the space of a few inches.

The damage has been limited as I have run out of paint.

I suppose trying to spray outside in a breeze is asking for problems.

So now I have to decide: do I rub it all down only to make the same mistakes and use up expensive paint, or do I accept that it is only a tool that is going to get bashed about so cut my losses and leave it?

I have a small compressor - maybe I could get a cheap air gun and try that - or maybe try applying it with a brush (that always goes badly wrong).

I will let it dry for a couple of days before I make up my mind.

30/06/2020 17:47:05

The big driving force for me in making the decision is space. This will hang on a wall. I agree, a bandsaw would be far more effective, but I just can't fit one in.

I was also looking for an interesting project that may be useful in the future.

I do have concerns about how well it will actually cut using only part of the blade. Other people who have made it seem to be pleased with the performance. I will report back in a few weeks once it is finished.

One final advantage I can think of, is that the hacksaw can be left to perform its task with no supervision. It doesn't matter if it takes 10 times as long to cut a steel bar, because I can be doing something else.

Thread: Ring rollers
28/06/2020 11:27:43

I hadn't realised that there are two different configurations for the rollers. Thanks.

28/06/2020 11:22:40

The motor is smaller than the original used. The plans describe using a 1/3hp motor, but state a smaller one would provide plenty of power.

This one is 1/4hp, 1400rpm. with the gearing about 6.25:1 this does indeed have a theoretical speed of about 220rpm.

Surprisingly, it does not appear scary fast - at least when only cutting fresh air.

I have not worked out what cutting speed this equates to.

Clearance is not an issue. It is a way off the motor. It does get close to the crank - but again nothing to worry about.

9 months elapsed time so far. I did have a break of a couple of months when the garage was too cold.

It is my first 'proper' project, involving milling, turning, silver soldering, casting, welding, etc. I have learnt a lot.

I will put a video up once it is finished, but I need some better weather before I can paint it.

27/06/2020 23:19:19

I finally finished the build today.

Now I just have to make it pretty.

5.jpg

6.jpg

It runs lovely and smoothly.

I will wait until the final assembly before making a cut with it at this will put a slot in the plate at the front.

Thread: What filament material do you use on your 3D printer?
27/06/2020 09:59:14

I moved over to PETG about 18 months ago.

It does not shrink and warp on the bed.

On the downside, it is stringy.

I get mine from Fillaprint.

20181215_124120.jpg.

Edited By IRT on 27/06/2020 09:59:45

Thread: Ring rollers
27/06/2020 00:11:53

That is the video that got me thinking about building one in the first place.

26/06/2020 18:49:03

I think it is a ring roller I am looking for. I recently wanted to bend some 1.5mm flat bar into a ring and can see the need to do this again in the future.

25/06/2020 22:56:24

I am looking for plans for a proven design of ring roller.

Does anyone have a link to the George H Thompson design? I can't find anything.

Thread: GH600 feeds have died.(Not)
19/06/2020 22:37:07

Problem solved - pure operator error!

Very embarrassing to admit, but at east it does not cost anything.

I had knocked the lathe speed to the slowest. At this speed, it takes the lathe a significant number of seconds to take up the backlash.

I panicked because of the earlier unexplained noise, and rushing to get ready for tea too, I thought the worse.

After walking the dog and calming down a bit, I went to check Jed's suggestion, and all was obvious.

I still can't explain the noise I heard. Probably something fell off the table.

Sorry.

... Right, how do I delete posts???

19/06/2020 20:39:03

I did not realise there was a shear pin in the saddle.

I will go and have another look at the drawing.

I hope it is that simple. As there are no nasty noises this indicates that nothing major is broken (I hope).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest