By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for IRT

Here is a list of all the postings IRT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Correct use of slitting saw for deep cut.
05/01/2020 19:04:48

A new saw and arbor arrived from Arc this week.

I used the vertical mill, and made the cuts in one pass.

Two 1/32" slots, 0.875" deep cut without any issue.#

Thanks.

29/12/2019 23:11:37

I am trying to cut a deep (0.875" slot in 5/8" steel. The slot needs to hold a hacksaw blade.

My first attempt with a slitting saw ended with the slot wandering off. Not a great surprise as the saw had a pronounced dish to it before I started.

I have just ordered a new saw and arbor from ARC (not the supplier of the original).

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on how to use a slitting saw.

What approach should I take to have the best chance of achieving an accurate slot? Plunge from the end, plunge from the side a full depth or multiple small depth cuts from the side?

I suppose there is a 4th approach: the hack saw. This is the last resort.

Thread: Warco GH600
04/12/2019 14:39:04

I purchased the 125mm collet chuck from ARC and it arrived today. It dropped straight onto the GH600 spindle flange without the need for a back plate. Measuring on some ground stock where it leaves the chuck, I can only measure 0.01mm deflection when I turn the spindle. This measurement is repeatable if I remove the chuck and refit it in the same position. The other two possible orientations are not as accurate, but still only show up to 0.02mm deflection.

I was only half expecting it to fit without a plate, and I wasn't expecting it to be that accurate.

Nice when things go right!

Thread: Breaking bandsaw blades
03/12/2019 12:40:39

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the biggest cause of breaking blades was over-tensioning them.

Thread: Precision Tool Vice Type 2
25/11/2019 20:25:17

Bolt shortened and vice bolted on and re-aligned.

I will keep a close eye to make sure no more damaged is done.

Thanks Phil for highlighting the issue before I done any more damage.

Thanks also to the people who gave constructive advice.

25/11/2019 20:21:16

The red ball on mine is 4" above the tray when the lathe is running.

Have you got something else wrong that allows the lever to drop so low?

Thread: Precision Tool Vice Type 2
25/11/2019 14:02:18

I did only say 'tempted'. I only found the problem late last night after reading this thread. I will have a proper look at the vice when I get home tonight. Appeciate the advice and pictures Jason. Ta.

25/11/2019 12:38:53

I have the same model as you Lofty. It is a shame as I have found the vice very accurate, but I am tempted to move to another vice to ensure it cannot happen again. Off to search the old 'which milling voce posts now.

Edited By Ian Thomson 2 on 25/11/2019 12:40:05

24/11/2019 22:16:20

Not happy though. I was not aware when I was doing it that anything was wrong. I will have a better look tomorrow, but if it is this easy to use wrong it will probably happen again.20191124_220556.jpg

Edited By Ian Thomson 2 on 24/11/2019 22:18:11

24/11/2019 22:00:38

I have only had my mill a couple of months. I noticed a mark on the table when I moved my vice a few weeks ago.

I just had another look after reading this thread, and I can see a number of marks.

I suppose I should be pleased that now I am aware of the issue.

19/10/2019 20:49:09

I too am happy with mine.

I have had the gears jump out a couple of times - 800rpm seem to be the problem one. It is very hard to know when it is properly engaged. Position 5 can be a bit difficult when selecting the lead screw too. I think it is a knack that needs to be learnt.

Yesterday I fitted a QCTP I got from RDG tools at the show.

I took a different approach to fitting it to you Brian - I bored out the body to fit the existing post.

This allows me to use the old tool post too if I have to, and should not effect any Warco warranty.

I have been using the lathe all day today. So much faster and easier to change tools now. More time spent doing the fun stuff.

I have kept the chuck guard, but the light does need moving.

I suppose I should be thinking about an oil change soon?

19/10/2019 14:50:09
Posted by Ian Thomson 2 on 18/10/2019 20:46:05:

I asked the same question on this thread on 11/8. I still havn't found a lock.

It hasn't caused me any problems yet, but I would happier if it could be locked solid when not in use..

Sorry - I did not ask the same question at all. I previously asked about the cross slide that I cannot lock.

The saddle is locked as Jed has explained.

Howard, do you have a picture of the leaf screw you talk about so that I can see if the GH600 has the same?

18/10/2019 20:46:05

I asked the same question on this thread on 11/8. I still havn't found a lock.

It hasn't caused me any problems yet, but I would happier if it could be locked solid when not in use..

Thread: Bearing fit
18/10/2019 17:02:11

I will start you off easy - they will get harder.

18/10/2019 16:51:56

That was fast!

Thanks.

18/10/2019 16:41:29

I am staring to build the Myfordboy's hacksaw.

My first proper project. Expect quite a few questions to come...

My first one regards the fit of a bearing - both into a housing and onto a shaft.

I far as I can understand, the published tolerances are in a few um for small bearings. I cannot even measure down that small.

Would an acceptable approach be to machine to allow an easy press fit by hand then fit with a retaining compound like Loctite 641 or is there a better way?

Thread: TCT show at the NEC 24-26 September
12/09/2019 20:24:10

Well worth a visit to this one in a couple of weeks if you are interested in 3D printing. Free to get in too.

Thread: Anyone made Myfordboy's powered hacksaw?
12/09/2019 19:40:20

It looks good!

Are you please with the accuracy of it?

I am expecting to take far more than 2 weeks with my build.

08/09/2019 22:35:06

I need to cut metal, am short of workshop space, and am looking for a project... Myfordboy's powered hacksaw looks ideal.

I have found a few references to it on this forum, and a few YouTube videos.

As far as I can see, those who have made it seem pleased with it.

How many people on here have made it?

Are you pleased with the result?

What are the difficulties I will encounter?

(Progress to date: I have purchased the plans and 3D printed a pattern to cast the pulley.)

Thread: How hot does the motor on your mill/lathe run?
27/08/2019 12:50:31

I spoke to Warco today, and they confirmed that the motors do indeed run hot.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest