By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for T.B

Here is a list of all the postings T.B has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Lathe Identification
29/11/2020 16:13:15

Hi

As other have said , its a Myford ML7

It also has a clutch which is quite desireable , this was an additional extra on the ML7 and they only ever offered one type of clutch for the ML7

I would also say it appears to be a relatively late model unless parts have been changed , I say this because it has the later type ML7 tailstock and later type apron more similar to a Super 7 apron.

Thread: Myford Hammered Green Paint
27/11/2020 20:57:49
Posted by old mart on 27/11/2020 20:17:34:

I don't remember seeing a Myford with a hammered paint finish.

ML10's and there variants are in hammered grey / silver or green

Thread: Ideal Dimensions of Vice Clamps
27/09/2020 12:38:24

I think i have the same Arceurotrade 90mm vice you describe !

Here's the clamps i made for it , they allow clamping from the sides and the ends of the vice as i often want to clamp the vice in both the X and Y axis for different purposes.

Although the contact area with the vice looks very small i have never had it move in use.

img_4684.jpg

img_4685.jpg

img_4686.jpg

Thread: Cast Iron Grade 500-14
01/08/2020 00:57:37

I can think of a good reason for Aluminium - cast iron would be 2 1/2 - 3 times as heavy as Aluminium! But I suppose you could machine away a few kilos of surplus metal, or settle for a thinner riser.

Gary made a very good job with the ally ones.

Does that matter though once its in position ?

Part of the point of this for me is not needing to remove and replace it on a regular basis.

Is it not more mass the better on a relatively small mill like the Centec 2B ?

31/07/2020 21:22:58
Posted by Dave Halford on 31/07/2020 20:53:50:

Have you considered -

The the risk of hard spots, a big 25mm dovetail cutter in carbide won't be cheap.

The weight, I've seen short ones in steel but all the long have been alloy.

Hi

both good points , i can't order anything now until next week so i'll mull it over for a few days.

thank you for your input.

31/07/2020 21:08:49
Posted by Paul Lousick on 31/07/2020 14:24:18:

I'm not familiar with that grade of cast iron but I entered " cast iron grade 500-14" into Google and it came up with dozens of reports.

Paul.

Hi

Yes you are correct . My apologies i should not have said "any information"

More that everything was in depth chemical analysis and papers directed more at industry.

Apart from going mostly over my head , it bears little relation to a man in his shed ! At least to me anyway.

Not done it yet :

Yes it will be a long version as i want to avoid having to remove the vertical head for horizontal milling, as much if not more than i need the extra daylight in vertical mode.

I can't give you a good reason why i want to use cast iron as opposed to aluminium , it just feels right to me i guess !

Edited By T.B on 31/07/2020 21:09:10

31/07/2020 14:04:30

Hi all

I have finally decided to make a rising block for the head of my Centec 2B mill

and have been getting quotes for a suitable piece of cast iron to use.

I have found one supplier who is offering cast iron grade 500-14

at approximately half the price of everything else i have been quoted for ( most other quotes where for grade 250 or 350)

I am finding it hard to find any information on 500-14 though and do not want to buy this, still at quite considerable outlay and then find out it is not suitable.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of 500-14 grade cast iron , i guess my main concern is will it be ok to machine on a relatively small mill and achieve a respectable surface finish while also being relatively hard wearing.

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Thread: Myford clutch
10/06/2020 13:48:31
Posted by Bootlegger Blacky on 10/06/2020 12:50:32:

Hi, I have just removed this pin to measure for you,and it is round hard bar,rounded at both ends,and is...29.1mm. Long and 3.16mm.width. Thanks

Thank you !

07/06/2020 17:05:40

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the pin that you can see sitting under the cranked arm in the 2nd photo ?

Thread: Machines and equipment sourcing chronology...
01/06/2020 15:35:46
Posted by Chris Walter on 01/06/2020 12:58:07:

Thanks for the responses all.

Where would people look for second hand mills of a Centec 2A size? ~£1k mark?

I've looked on lathes.co.uk and obviously the classifieds here, Gumtree and ebay...

Going to respond later to your (exceptionally useful!) list Dave. I may have broken the order a tad...

Chris.

There's a Centec 2B on gumtree at the moment , located in SE.

Nothing to do with me , i noticed it this morning !

Thread: How to strip a Centec 2A Vertical Milling Head
17/05/2020 21:15:25

If you screw a nut onto the threaded part of the spindle where the draw bar is poking out.

You can use this with a pulley puller to push on the draw bar and hopefully pop the chuck out of its mating taper

This will avoid putting any strain on the spindle bearings.

From memory you will need a 3/4" UNF nut

Thread: Centroid Acorn experience
13/04/2020 22:05:55
Posted by Andrew Evans on 13/04/2020 21:27:47:

Thanks, that is encouraging. Did y purchase direct from the state

The 1st one , yes , i paid around £70 on import fee's etc and it arrived within 10 days.

The second one someone brought over from the US for me !

Lathes don't seem to be nearly as well catered for or popular in the DIY CNC world as mills and routers etc.

Apart from Linux and Mesa cards there is nothing else i am aware of that i would have been tempted to use at the moment with my lathe

Edited By T.B on 13/04/2020 22:06:17

Edited By T.B on 13/04/2020 22:22:50

13/04/2020 14:30:31

First off i'm a relative newbe to CNC with only 2 - 3 years experience having had absolutely no experience of CAD CAM and CNC etc prior to this and was pretty computer illiterate apart from surfing the web etc.

But yes , i have been running a small cnc lathe on a Centroid Acorn for about a year.

Prior to this I was using a good quality ethernet motion controller and Mach3 Turn.

The Acorn and CNC12 software are a joy to use compared to Mach3 Turn which i found somewhat unpredictable and some features such as CSS i never managed to get to work with Mach3 Turn all work fine with the Acorn ( i think Mach3 Mill is probably much better than Mach3 turn)

I wasn't keen on the Forum based info resource that Centroid use at first but it has proved very useful and when i have had issues the people at Centroid and other users have been very quick and helpful to reply to any of my queries.

My one reservation with the Acorn is you are somewhat buying into their product line , if you want to expand I/O , use an MPG , digitizing software etc you are tied to Centroid products (although i'm sure if you where sufficiently technically minded you could get round this ) ,

I have a friend who uses Linux cnc and this is relatively cheap even with Mesa cards , very powerful and hugely adaptable . But i'm simply not computer techie or interested enough to want to learn , i wanted my lathe to run reliably as quickly and as simply as possible so i could get on with making parts.

Overall i'm happy enough with the Acorn to have bought a second one to fit to a Mill conversion i am doing when i get the time.

Thread: Sharpening Coventry die chasers
31/03/2020 22:37:32
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 31/03/2020 22:24:40:

You could try Wiseman Threading Tools:

**LINK**

I've bought spares and chaser sets from them. They will grind specials although they don't mention standard resharpening. I've got the wherewithal to sharpen some sizes of chaser, but have never had the need to try it.

Andrew

Andrew that's brilliant thank you.

I have just had a look at their website and in the chaser price list PDF's it has prices for sharpening chasers.

£10 + vat for a set of 5/16 chasers certainly beats around £55 for a new set !

I'll call them in the morning

Thanks again

Edited By T.B on 31/03/2020 22:38:07

Edited By T.B on 31/03/2020 22:39:19

31/03/2020 22:10:20

Hi all

Can anyone tell me somewhere that i could get some small ( 5/16) Coventry die chasers sharpened in the UK ?

I have searched online without success for a company doing this , is it a case of do it yourself or buy new ones nowadays ?

Thread: Centec 2a Gear Box Oil
21/01/2020 17:15:11
Posted by Dave Halford on 21/01/2020 16:08:34:

There are no bronze bushes in the Centec smiley

I can't remember about the main column gear box , but the MK3 vertical head certainly has bronze parts and the VH requires the same type of thick oil as the column gear box , so it would make sense to have one oil to use on both !

Thread: Breaking bandsaw blades
02/12/2019 18:24:17

I too had the same problem and was getting frustrated enough that i was considering buying a new bandsaw as i was getting through blades at an alarming rate

In the end i found these people online **LINK** and after a quick phone conversation they recommended i try one of their M42 series bi-metal blades and to be honest i've not looked back since.

Usual disclaimer : i have no connection with the above company , just a satisfied customer !

Thread: Myford boring bar help
31/05/2019 00:00:45

The 2 holes should just intersect each other .

One of those pieces of tool steel should then have a flat on the side.

This is used to act as a wedge against the cutting tool in the adjacent hole !

I have one the same and don't really like it as i find it difficult to adjust finely, its much easier to adjust and clamp with a couple of screws

Thread: Poor finish using indexable lathe tools on steel
15/04/2019 21:15:40

Looks like a CCMT insert from the photo , If it where me i would double the spindle speed and depth of cut.

On my S7 with CCMT inserts the best finish is with at least a 20thou depth of cut and a fairly fast feed to get a decent chip.

Thread: myford leadscrew
08/04/2019 21:09:49

If you move the selector lever on the top of the gear box and leave it between two normal settings this will disengage the gearbox gear train and the leadscrew should be free to turn with the handwheel , a bit like a car in neutral !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest