By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Van Staalduinen

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Van Staalduinen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo Digital Callipers on eBay
28/03/2015 11:08:30

I agree John, If you hunt for a bargain, be prepared to take a risk and dont cry if you got ripped. Why push for a refund and then keep the product?

I use AliExpress website all the time and get direct from china, from DROs, metric reamers and dovetail cutters, to bluetooth speakers and I have not had a problem with anything yet. I did however have one linear scale out of 5 not function correctly and a replacement was sent under warranty. I do spend a long time finding suppliers with good feedback remarks.

The reason I shop in China is because New Zealand has a small economy and most tooling is rather overpriced. I look and buy local all the time, but certain things are much cheaper from overseas. 2xDRO's for my lathe and mill would have cost NZ$2400 locally and I paid $800 landed on my doorstep...

28/03/2015 10:22:16
Posted by Jesse Hancock 1 on 28/03/2015 09:30:14:

When is a fake not a fake?

Mitutoyo have given up trying to police fakes as one assumes there are so many. Other people report it's hard to tell the difference in look and use between Mitutoyo and a fake. Fake only in name then?

Hang on Jesse,

There is a clear difference between look and feel of the real vs fake. I compared the fakes to my boss' new caliper of the same model 500-196-20, and genuine is hands down better. The reputation they have is dependable accuracy (provided they are not abused) and this is what they have earned. Where many branded companies aim to meet DIN and ANSI standards, Mitutoyo sought to exceed them.

Dealing with fakes is just something that has to be decided on when you are on top of your game. Simple things like zippers is another area of high counterfeits, look down at your pants zip and chances are its a a YKK brand, but is it a real or a fake? From my wife who is in QC of a department store, the YKK zip is a desirable standard to demand from clothing companies and they have a BIG folder on how to identify fakes during pre production samples, and they try to pass them off all the time...

The fakes work, they do the job just fine, but for how long before sub standard materials and processes cause them to fail?

I will still gladly use these calipers, I have mics to check critical measurments, but I wouldnt recommend others buy the fakes and use them for important stuff.

27/03/2015 10:34:27

Well, I just purchased 3 of these fake calipers for the price of one genuine when on special (NZ$60ea) using AliExpress. I was sent a message from the supplier before they were shipped and he said that they were made in china but very good product...

So, they turned up today and aside from a few things out of place, it is a very good caliper, not a geniuine mitutoyo, but a good fake. Internet searching has shown 2 distinct types of fake and I seem to have this type **LINK**

It is easily distinguishable by having a small 4th decimal when in Imperial mode. The plastic casing doesn't fit the best and the gib adjuster screws are not central to the plastic casing holes. All 3 had a broken tab on battery cover, apparently another tell tale sign. The certificates had matching serial numbers (all 3 were different) but the rest of the inspection certificate is a straight copy, from the issue number to the errors in readout at set lengths.

I tested these calipers against 2 different micrometers and another caliper all Insize brand. My test piece was a Harold Hall inspired cylindrical square I made, Measuring 24.964 digital mic, 24.97 std mic and 24.97 on the caliper.

The 3 fake Mitutoyo calipers measured the piece at either 24.96 or 24.97 depending which one it was, they repeated their measurement everytime without any numbers dancing, only really hard pressure would cause it to change and they returned to 0.00 every single time. I then performed speed slide test for a long time and yet again it returned to zero every single time, so they might actually be 'absolute' workings. Oh yeah and the slide action is very smooth, but not quite as good as genuine.

I will be checking them against my 25-150mm micrometer standards, and 5mm & 25mm I.D. standards I have at work. That will give a better overall indication.

Conclusion:

While disappointed they are not genuine items, as I kinda knew they wouldn't be. I wanted a set for home, a set for work and the 3rd set was to get a 20% price break and maybe sell to a coworker (with full disclosure). I am happy with the product, happy with the price. Far better than any other made in china caliper I have ever used.

My coworker apprentice has a hand me down genuine mitutoyo digimatic, he was upset to find they were out by a mile (0.2mm per 50mm Jaws still good) when we were comparing things. So even genuine gear needs checking once in a while.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Sept 5
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest