By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Hulett

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Hulett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gear cuting
07/08/2015 17:17:27

Thankyou very much for such a prompt reply. Will take your advice.

07/08/2015 17:07:42

I need to make 4 small identical spur gears. Is it better to mount each blank separately on the mandrel (it is a horizontal mill) between the rotary table and tailstock, or, mount a sufficient length of material to cut all four in one go and then part off ? Thankyou

Thread: Gear cutters
26/07/2015 12:47:48

Thankyou to all contributors to this thread. not having a planing machine leads me toward the fly cutter solution. However that gives me another problem. I only have a horizontal mill.I cannot see a supplier of fly cutters for horizontal mills in UK. Also the articles on gear cutting with a fly cutter indicate that the cutting tools are at right angles to the holder, so, not only have I to find a fly cutter for a horizontal mill it has to have a right angle tool !!!

24/07/2015 15:45:58

Do gear cutters come in different sizes?. This is not a silly question. For example I have a gear cutter No 3 12DP 14.5pa. It has an outside diameter of 62.5mm.

Are all gear cutters of the above spec 62.5mm or is it possible to get for example a No3 12DP 14.5pa with an od of 35.00mm ??

The reason I ask is that I have to copy a gear set up which consists of one gear 92.5mm od and one gear 37.5mm separated by a shaft 20mm long. (This is all one piece of metal) With the gear cutter having a radius of 31.25mm it will not cut the smaller gear wheel without fouling the large one.

The original gear set up was made in 1921,and appears to have been turned on a lathe judging by the tooling marks and not cast as a whole.

Thread: making spacers from one piece of steel
22/07/2015 18:19:10

O.K. mm in future. I am only learning. Thanks to everyone who participated,it did at least lead to a lively discussion. Following the general consensus,I shall be purchasing more steel. The main reason for the query was to try and learn a new technique if one was available.

Once again,Thankyou everyone.

21/07/2015 12:47:00

I need 2 spacers, 9cm outside diam 1.5cm thick with a 5cm diam centre hole, and 2spacers 4.5cm od, 1.5cm thick with a 1.5cm centre hole. I have a piece of round steel bar 10cm od and 4.0cm thick. Can I use this one piece of steel to make all four spacers and if so,how ? or do I need to get some more steel. I have a 9" South Bend. Thankyou

Thread: Gear cutting
23/05/2015 11:26:37

I phoned them last week to order two gear cutters,they supplied one but were out of stock with the other and didn't know when new stock would arrive. Same with RDG, 12 weeks until new stock arrives.

22/05/2015 15:27:10

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Very interesting.It was not so much about how to do a particular task,but why a product for doing that task is not readily available in UK wheras in USA they are cheap and widely available. Tubal Cain did make the point that when milling or gear cutting using one of these mandrels,because they were mounted against the cutting action,the tendency was to drive the gear further on to the mandrel,thus tightening it further. I take the point of unavailability further, Dave Gingery's book re dividing heads can be obtained in UK at a grossly inflated price , a 20DP,14.5PA,No 4 Involute gear cutter is rarer than hens teeth in UK,but 2 a penny (I exaggerate) in USA. What has happened to the great British engineering tradition ?? I suppose it has moved to Taiwan,China and India. Sorry Rant over

19/05/2015 21:35:25

When Tubal Cain describes the principles of gear cutting, he makes use of a "lathe mandrel". This is a slightly tapered mandrel. Does anyone know where these can be purchased, short of ordering from USA.I have looked at the regular Engineering suppliers,but to no avail.

Thread: Hoover electric motor/Denford Educator
08/05/2014 10:36:44

Thankyou for your replies. I looked inside the end casing,there were three terminals. Two terminals led to the capacitor,two to the motor. The blue went to earth. RED and WHITE were the "working" cables. I wired them up to a 16amp socket and perfect. Thankyou.

07/05/2014 11:00:36

I have just bought a Denford Educator in order to learn how to use a lathe for making parts for my vintage m/bikes. If successful I will progress to a bigger lathe. The problem I have is that the Denford came in large lumps. The Hoover 3/4 hp single phase motor has one cable coming out of the side of the motor. There are no other cables. The wires in this cable are RED WHITE & BLUE.

Very patriotic,but what is their designation ? Any advice will be appreciated.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest