By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Hulett

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Hulett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unknown tools
22/05/2016 10:25:17

Thanks Bill davies2. There is only a few tenths of thou difference in taper on these. Why would some of them have a turned down section and flat at only one end and the others at both ends ?

21/05/2016 10:45:59

Thanks "Bill Davies 2". That is exactly what they are. Tapered mandrels. Some do have a + sign stamped on them.

As it happens I have to cut some small gears and these will be just what I want. I am pleased now that I bought those "scrap" rods100_6097.jpg

20/05/2016 12:32:33

I have recently acquired a small quantity of scrap steel rods,or so I thought. Upon examining them closely I found that 12 of them were some kind of measuring rod. The rods were of various sizes ranging from 6" long to 4" long. Four of these rods were turned down at one end the others were turned down at both ends. The turned down sections had a flat ground on to them,and on the flat was stamped the imperial diameter of the rod. Two of the rods were wrapped in greased paper, perhaps indicating they were a manufactured item as opposed to home made. I guess they were made to measure holes so that the appropriate drill size could be selected,however there might be a more interesting explanation. Any thoughts ?

Thread: Too simple ?
06/04/2016 17:01:48

The lugs connect to a cush hub in a flywheel,so the alignment of the dogs to the gear teeth is irrelevant.

JasonB.....I have a small horizontal mill....what recommendations would you make for that?

Thanks for all the comments.

Thread: Cam-Gear
05/04/2016 14:39:58

100_6044.jpgI have to make a gear wheel with a cam attached.Is it better to form the cam first and then cut the gear or vice-versa.

Thread: Too simple ?
05/04/2016 13:21:48

Attached photo shows a gear wheel together with its unfinished copy.

My question is how do I cut the two lugs/dogs accurately, should I bore the centre hole to size first ?

Photo added by JasonB

Edited By JasonB on 05/04/2016 13:26:37

Thread: How to post a P.M.
26/03/2016 18:37:04

How does one post a private message to another member ?

Thread: Sharpening gear cutters
23/03/2016 14:06:40

Does anyone know of a company that will sharpen a one off gear cutter. I have Googled this with no success as the people who advertise are industrial. I do not want to risk doing it myself. Any help will be appreciated.

Thread: Removing bearing housing
08/02/2016 12:20:13

THANKYOU to all who contributed. The suggestions were most useful.Success was achieved by repeated heating to 200c and then placing on a steel rod with the same diameter as the bearing.The contraction of the bearing soon released it from the housing. There was some type of insulation between the two parts. No damage to either part.

05/02/2016 13:14:32

It is in fact the end casing of a Runbaken magneto. The reason I need to extract it is so that I can cast a new end casing for another mag, I could of course cast it whole as it is and then machine out the surplus aluminium to fit the new bearing housing,but I had hoped that someone might have an idea that would save the extra work. I am only a novice at engineering work and if I were to stuff it up it means starting the whole casting process again.

04/02/2016 13:29:37

Herewith photo of bearing housing. I did try the boiling water method,but to no avail. The dimensions are 60mm x 60mm x 35mm. It is from a 1919 motorcycle and neither part can be destroyed.100_6003 forum.jpg

03/02/2016 14:06:24

Any tips on removing a steel bearing housing from a rather fragile aluminium casing ??? Thanks

Thread: Xmas present
10/01/2016 13:13:23

I am in the fortunate situation of having a few RDG Gift vouchers given to me for Xmas,the question is....what to buy ?

I have a nice 9" Southbend.A small horizontal mill. A Warco rotary table,chuck & tailstock. A good drill press.3jaw & 4jaw. plus all the little bits.

I am not a trained engineer and do most things by trial and error until I get it right, You Tube etc so I don't know what I need or what I want.

I haven't got a vertical slide,nor any collets or collet holders.

I would appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Many Thanks

Thread: Thread cutting and Change gears
05/01/2016 16:01:21

Thanks everyone. The screwcutting program is excellent.

05/01/2016 12:59:23

I have a S.B. 9" and I am about to commence some screw thread cutting. I find that some of my change gears are duplicated.I have studied the SB screw cutting chart and there is no indication that I would ever need to use two similar gears at the same time.

My question is....Should I keep the duplicates or should I sell them or should I try to swap them with someone for gears that I do not have (and may well never use) ?????

Thread: Strong Arm Fluid
24/12/2015 11:23:46

Has anyone come across this USA product. Is it sold in UK ? Is it any good? Is there a UK alternative ?

Thread: South Bend Screw Cutting chart
19/12/2015 12:07:32

I have a 1939 9" Workshop Model C. On the change gears cover is a screw cutting chart. Unfortunately due to the restrictions in the layout of my workshop I cannot read the screw cutting chart without opening up a severe rupture of the macro median transverse thingy in my back. I want to print out a chart so I can refer to it on my bench.The problem is that this chart does not seem to exist. I have scoured Google,Webbs,Lathes.com, but no trace.

The chart is headed SCREW THREADS POWER FEEDS

ENGLISH LEAD SCREW

and at the bottom below all the gear specs...

Cat No 15-ZBC Chart No7

Can anyone point me in the right direction to print this chart. Thankyou

Thread: TaeguTec Inserts?
03/12/2015 17:04:14

Has anyone used these "gold rush coating" inserts. Advertised on Fleabay.

Very cheap. Seller has Zero rating.

Sounds a bit dodgy.....any comments???

Thread: What did I do wrong (Part 2)
06/11/2015 12:19:34

I have discovered how to lock the table,it was quite simple really.

Again,thanks for these advices (is that good grammar ?) I had not been locking the x and y axis nor had I been locking the chuck prior to each cut.

I am now going to embark on cutting my next gear,hopefully following all this advice will make my effort more acceptable.

Roger

05/11/2015 20:41:26

It is a 1956 Pools horizontal milling machine. Very nice and easy to use.

I have just reread the Lathes.com article on this machine and it says "the x and y axis can be locked" !!!!!!

Investigation tomorrow.

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest