By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Hulett

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Hulett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Micro drilling
10/10/2018 14:50:39

I need to drill a wire gauge hole in a piece of brass rod. I have faced off the rod and polished with 300 emery to ensure there are no blemishes. How do I accurately "spot" the rod to ensure the drill bit drills true,and are there any other tips around.

Thread: Reverse engineering
31/08/2018 18:27:07

Thankyou for that ,Russell. Without a BSF gauge is there any way of checking the thread, What I was intending was to cut an internal 24tpi Whitworth on scrap tube and offer it up to the carb body.

31/08/2018 14:41:40

Herewith an original drawing of the "Automatic Carburettor " taken from a 1920s edition of The Motor Cycle.

I have also found an old Whitworth thread gauge which indicates the size as 24 3/16 7/32

Does this mean the thread size is 3/16 Whit ?

scan_20180830-1.jpg

31/08/2018 12:27:01

Abject apologies,I was cutting gears on my horizontal mill (with dividing head) and threads on my lathe (without dividing head) when I wrote my original post I didn't know my one from the other.

The orevious photos show the carburettor as is. I have checked all of the obvious catalogues and web pages but cannot find this carb. It is described in the brochue as an "automatic carburettor" !!! There are no markings anywhere,float chamber,carb body .jet, etc etc. The thread as seen in the photo is 1/4" long and has an exterior diameter of 7/8".

31/08/2018 12:03:09

img_20180830_111951.jpgimg_20180830_111951.jpgcarburettor1.jpg

17/08/2018 14:51:53

Is there such a thing as reverse engineering when it comes to thread cutting. I have a dividing head with 3 different dividing plates, and I am able to cut a great variety of threads using the calculation tables supplied by the manufacturer.

However I have a 1919 carburettor with the cap missing. I have used my BSF,Whit and other thread gauges but cannot find what thread it is. Is it possible to reverse engineer the dividing head to cut the cap threads from the existing body threads, and if so how do I do it ?

Thankyou.

Thread: Drilling brass
01/08/2018 14:22:34

Excellent, thankyou.. I took the easy route. A piece of paper, worked very well. Now for the triangle which I am not so confident with, however will persevere slowly. Thankyou all.

01/08/2018 12:28:35

I need to drill three equidistant holes in a brass tube. I presume that I would centre the tube on my lathe and then scribe a line through which the hole centres would go, but how do I position those holes accurately ?.

Having done that I need to cut a triangular hole in the tube (not on the same scribe line), how do I do that ?.

Thankyou.

Thread: Drilling brass
28/06/2018 16:29:04

Drilling down from the small end appears to be the way to go. My only concern is that the hole is to allow petrol to flow from one side to the other. Knowing how petrol seems to find the tiniest of holes I am concerned that a plug would have to be incredibly accurate to prevent seepage.Would Loctite prevent this ? Thankyou all.

28/06/2018 12:01:23

I have a piece of brass 10mm thick. It is shaped into a figure 8. Each circular part of the figure 8 is recessed to a depth of 7mm. The diameter of the top circle is 27mm with the bottom circle at 44mm.. The overall length of the figure 8 is 78mm. Obviously between the two recesses is a neck of 7mm. (10mm thick).

I need to drill a hole through the neck to connect both recesses.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thread: Maching flats
23/04/2018 16:42:14

Can you explain trammed for me please.

23/04/2018 15:37:46

The flats are 1.5" long the brass round is 9" long but will be cut to 4.5".

23/04/2018 15:12:15

I need to machine two flats opposite to each other on a 1.5inch dia brass round. How do I do this accurately. I have a South Bend lathe and a small horizontal mill.

Thankyou.

Thread: Brass stock
16/11/2017 15:40:51

Yes,Speedy Builders, that's the way to go. I should have thought of that myself but have only limited experience. Thank you very much.

16/11/2017 15:16:16

I have bought a piece of round brass stock from a well known metal supplier. It is 1 1/2" diam 9" long. When I put it in the lathe to turn it down I found that if I trued it up at the end then at approx 4" away from the end close to the chuck jaws it was several thou out. If I trued it up close to the chuck jaws it was then several thou out at the end. How should I ascertain the correct point for turning ? I tried turning the brass to different positions both in location in the chuck and in the amount sticking out from the chuck but it made no difference. Your advice will be most welcome.Thankyou.

Thread: Brass cutting
02/11/2017 10:28:34

Are there any precautions to be taken when turning brass.? What lubricants are recommended ? What speeds are recommended ? I have never turned brass before and would welcome any hints and tips. Thankyou.

Thread: Brass shaping
31/10/2017 14:11:50

Thankyou for all of the suggestions. I think I will try the rotary table on my horizontal mill first (using some scrap ally) and if not successful the lathe solution . I cannot braze two disks together as there has to be a hole joining the two Os of the 8. The set up is for the base of a carburettor with the larger O for the float chamber and the smaller for the base of the mixing chamber. Again,thank you all for your ideas.

30/10/2017 13:06:30

Thankyou Jeff. Unfortunately I live in a fairly remote area of mid-Wales and water jet services are not available. I only have a small horizontal mill and I am not sure if I could do the boring bar operation, but I can try.

30/10/2017 12:22:18

How does one set about cutting a figure of 8 in a brass plate 16mm thick. with the two 0s of the 8 cut to a depth of 8mm, and a neck between the two circles of the 8 ? I have a piece of brass plate 100mm x 50mm. The outer diameter of the circles is 45mm for one and 30mm the other. The total length of the 8 is 85mm.The neck being 10mm x 10mm.

I have drawn it out on a piece of paper but I don't know how to form it. I could hacksaw it out roughly and file to shape but I think that would be called butchery !!

Thread: Thread size
04/05/2017 16:34:31

I presume it is 11mm ,the gauge is marked Moore & Wright 801 M/M and the gauge leaf is marked 11.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest