By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Lickfold

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Lickfold has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Z Axis-Support
22/04/2019 22:27:37

The photo of the tag is for the part number reference if any one else would like t make a similar support.

I think the people in China who made the strut used Nm instead of N for the strength of the gas spring. Not sure if that is the max strength it has or the force required to move it. I weigh 74 kg and that was not enough to make it move.

22/04/2019 22:22:22
Posted by HOWARDT on 22/04/2019 13:19:24:

It looks as you have the cylinder mounted with the rod up. Manufacturers recommend rod down so that the rod seal remains lubrcated.

Thanks Howardt, Ill change it then. It's no deal to wind to the free length and to remove the Strut. I did not think about the oil inside keeping the seal wet/lubricated.

22/04/2019 11:42:47

I just checked the spindle to table max height, and it is at the max the manual says it should be. So I am happy that I have not lost any height in the addition of the strut. It is no issue to wind up and down the head assembly now. It used to be a lothesome job by hand. May get all enthusiastic and add an electrical power feed to it next.

Neil

22/04/2019 10:56:34

So I added a 850N Gas strut to the left hand side of the X45 clone Z axis to make it easier to wind the head up and down.

Made a couple of brackets to attach the end of the strut. The Strut is just one from an Auto parts store. It is 10mm shaft and 765 mm long with a 480 mm compressed length. So is 285mm max stroke. I set the strut when the top of the casting was 10mm above column . Max I could easily wind the head to.

When I made the plates to hold the strut ends, I drilled the holes 5mm the tapping diameter of the M6 for the casting. Then used the plate as a pattern to drill and then tap the casting. Later drilled to 6mm on the drill press. To hold the strut, I tapped M6 and counter sunk the holes for the M6 screws to be flush on the under side of the plate. These were done up tight to create a stud for the strut to be attached to.

Neil

gas-strut.jpg

850n-gas-strut.jpg

lower-mount.jpg

pattern-drilling-for-m6tap.jpg

lower-plate-drilled-5mm.jpg

lower-bracket-fitted.jpg

Thread: What a brilliant young man
19/04/2019 22:16:19

Just awesome for sure. I like the way he has developed or got ideas and then implemented them to suite his equipment. I never thought of putting the VFD stop as a foot peddle. Neither did I think that it could be programmed with a sequence like he has. It may have some add ons or be his own version of the VFD to allow for those features. Its not often you get to see an electronics engineer with the mechanical skills at the same time.

The only thing we did not get so see is the vacuum cleaner / dust extraction system he uses. How the whole shop can stay that clean really is impressive. He must have some clever way of keeping the grinding dust from his height gauges etc.

Great ideas for tool storage and using 3d printed parts for slideway covers etc.

Thanks for the video link and the previous thread as well.

Neil

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 08:20:51

Tele gauges are not like they used to be made for sure. Some need the slot in the expanding side to be cleaned up and polished smooth or stoned smooth. Same with the pin end and a little radius on the outer edge of the pinch pin. Then the cheap ones will work as well as an expensive set. Tele gauges do take some getting used to being able to get good repeatable results. Just get a ball bearing and measure them, and keep practicing until you get the size as the bearing. You should be able to get consistently better than 0.01mm of the actual size.

Thread: Poor finish using indexable lathe tools on steel
17/04/2019 08:04:32

By the looks of what you are doing, that steady support is not needed. Avoid where ever possible, cutting to the very centre unless it is needed. If it is not required to be flat to the centre, I use a centre drill and put a 2mm or 3mm diameter dimple in the end of the part. RPM wise, anything from 300 rpm to 600 rpm is plenty fast enough. You need a roughing out insert and a finishing insert. Roughing is often a 0.4mm radius. Using a water soluble type coolant will help reduce the heat of the work piece. Hand feed at a rate that will make little chips, not long curls. It maybe that you will need the smaller R0.2mm insert to get nice curled chips. Some where around 0.5 to 1mm on diameter will do that, but the depth of cut is limited to the power of your motor. For 1mm diameter of cut, you will need around 1 hp,/750 watt motor. If you have the 3/4 hp motor taking a 1mm cut I think is being unrealistic.

Use a new sharp edge for the finishing, and take the finish cuts at 1/2 to 1 radius per side and a feed rate of 1/4 of the radius as a feedrate. So if you use a R0.2mm insert, then taking a 0.2mm on diameter cut for the finish pass at around 0.5mm/rev at around 400 to 500 rpm will work well. Using a cutting oil for steel will aid in the surface finish, or a water based cutting oil at around 10% concentration will also give a good finish. 500 rpm at 0.05mm per rev will take about 1 min to travel 25mm.

I don"t run my Super 7 any faster than the highest speed on the spindle with the low speed of the motor to the clutch. I don"t run the faster speed from the Motor to the clutch on anything these days. Some materials will give a better finish with dull looking edge insert tools, but I mainly use the very sharp carbide for Aluminium on most steel's on my lathe. The coolant I use is one suitable for Titanium and steels and Non Ferrous metals works really well.

Neil

Thread: Moving to Australia - Moving Workshop Machines
13/04/2019 05:45:53

H3.2 treated timber is OK for NZ or the equivalent. It will also pass Australian laws as well. I did not risk using Boric treated timber. No point taking the TV though, its tuner will not work in Australia, apart from the fact that the plugs are all different. No biggy, chop the end off and reconnect a new 3 pin plug. Small things like sanders etc, you can use an adapter plug for them. Sometimes its cheaper to buy that adapter plug in the country you are from, rather than the country you are going to. A real irony. Not sure with Australia , but bring a bed to NZ is not allowed due to dust mites in mattresses. So you can bring in the frame and ironically pillows with your flight luggage. Again something else to check on. Some countries also have a ban on small petrol engines, like chainsaws, weed wackers etc, again you'll need to check that as well.

Dont take, Honey, apples, or bottled water with you. It will all be confiscated on arrival.

Neil

12/04/2019 05:56:48

When you pack and crate your machines, ensure that they are bolted / secured to the platform it is sitting on. I placed 75mm square around the base of the Lathe when we shipped USA to NZ back in 09 as well. Placed all the tooling into manageable sized boxes made of 16mm OSB with strip nail holding and reinforcing the corners. I packed the tools with rags and bubble wrap. Sprayed everything with crc long life. Steam cleaning is not required but you want no dirt and no oils or coolant in anything. I wrapped everything up so even an ant could not get in there.

Dont know what happened to the shipping container, but the jolt it had on the journey was enough to crack one of the 1-1/2 inch thick slates in the pool table. Quite a few other things had some damage as well. But all the tools and machinery was just fine.

Good luck on your move.

Thread: Drilling Ball bearing balls
26/03/2019 08:25:02

Like JasonB , hold it in a collet or a bush, drill with a tungsten carbide drill. Then you can also bore to the diameter you want with a carbide boring bar.

The ones I drilled out for my Noga stand attachments , was 7/16 ball , Spot drilled , with a carbide spot dril 1st for about 1mm deep or so, drilled with a 5mm coated carbide drill. I drilled at around 300 rpm, and used just compressed air to keep it cool and blow the chips away. Then bored it out to suite the pin of the attachment. Glued and assembled with 620 loctite, as a permanent assembly.

With Mine I just held the ball in the 3 jaw chuck, with a bit of printer paper around the circumference. Indicated the inside of the jaws true, (adjustable grip tru chuck) and did them. The paper helps with both holding the part and not marking it as well.

Neil

Thread: Parting off tool - straight or angled.
21/03/2019 17:58:04

The advantage of the flat parting tool, is that it allows for the length of the tool out of the holder to be adjusted and the centre height remains the same. The reason for the inclined parting tool holders was to allow the chips to fall down the inclined surface. The inverted rear tool post has all the advantages as mentioned by others.

I only have the normal parting off tool from the front face. I purchased a 2mm wide inserted parting tool with 5 inserts for parting and another 5 inserts for the multi turning function. I am still on the 1st parting insert. Until then I was always using the hss blades that came with the original Dickson holder and the spare.

On the insert and the hss blade, it has a curved geometry on the top face. It curls the chip as it comes off the work piece and as it curls, it creates clearance so it can clear from the groove. I always apply from a bottle with a small spout and hole, from the front and back towards the tool holder. The chips come back along the blade. You can use water based coolant or cutting oils, it just needs something to stop any buildup on the edge of the tool.

I have often thought of getting a rear toolpost setup, but have only ever thought about it.

Neil

Thread: R8 instead of MT3
19/03/2019 07:42:05

Having used both R8 and MT3, if the spindle is good and the register for the R8 is the correct size, then R8 can be often purchased quite cheap for after market parts like boring heads etc.

The MT3 like been said, a lot of people do over tighten them.

An advantage of an R8 over a MT3 , is if the collet or piece is undersize, the back of the R8 keeps it well aligned while the front taper clamps down on the tool and it still runs quite well. That is not the case with the MT3. If you only ever have nominal cutters etc, then the MT3 is fine.

See what else you want in the way of other holders and drill chucks and arbors etc and price them up and availability.

Often availability of accessories that you will use can be a real deciding factor, and not just price alone.

Neil

Thread: ER25 or MT2 Collets
18/03/2019 09:57:11

This is quite interesting. My Mill is MT4, I have collet sets from ER11 through to ER40. But unless I get the really good ones, it is just not the same as a MT collet or any other direct spindle collet. The only advantage of the ER system, is that when I change to a drill chuck, the head height stays at about the same height for most things that need both drilling and milling. I think that the MT collets will hold better than a ER , simply because there is one less something to not be concentric. Most small cutter come on 4mm shanks, there area few 3mm shank cutters, then there is a few 5mm, but standard is 6mm, 8mm 10mm 12mm, If your mill is 2 MT , 3 to 8mm will most likely cover the range for you.

I'm looking at a set of 4,6,8,10 collets will cover most of what I need.

Neil

Thread: Dial indicator probe threads
16/03/2019 19:40:22

A lot of the plunger type indicators , use M2.5 and M3 that I have seen so far. The M2.5 is 0.4mm pitch . The M3 is the standard 0.5mm pitch. I have made several for the plunger indicators. I made my extensions from 3mm and 4mm ejector pins. They are nitrided on the outside, are reasonably straight, cheap, and once through the nitrided coated the steel is not that difficult to turn or to thread cut. I start the thread by thread cutting, then use the die as a chaser to follow and make it to the final size. When I need a flat surface, I use the head end of the ejector pin. But most of extensions have either had a 2.5mm ball retained with loctite, or have been points, or a blade of some sort to get to measure or compare a feature.

I have found the threads on the plunger matches a M2.5 capscrew or M3 capscrew really well, while the tip thread is often loose and undersized by at least 0.1mm in diameter or more sometimes.

Neil

Thread: Hardened Silver Steel Shattered - How to Avoid?
15/03/2019 07:26:14

For hardening a part like your cutter, I would be heating the solid shank, and allow the heat to transfer to the thinner part. It would need a hold time of about 5 minutes. With a gas torch that seems an eternity . Don,t over heat and get it all scaley, and I always use a carburising flame for heat treatment.

Practice is a good idea. Real daylight or no light is best to get the idea of the heat when getting the steel hot. There are colour charts on the net, but getting them nicely printed I have found is best from a photo centre.

Neil

14/03/2019 18:40:01

There is W1 and O1 in the silver steel range. The W1 is water quench. With the W1 , I was always taught that the water should be heated to at least 40C if using water quenching, then leave in ice water after the initial quench.

Polish, keep oil free, then temper 1st time at 150c and then slowly increase temper temp to the desired hardness. After the 1st temper at 150C for minimum of 1 hour per 1/2 inch of section, quench in boiling water, then retemper to the desired range. IE a ball race needs to be retempered at 150c , but cutters in the 180 to 210 c range.

The way the quenching is done is also important, it does require agitated oil or water to be effective.

Sometimes shell cutters fail due to no internal clearance , or outside clearance.

Neil

Thread: Tangential tools ?
13/03/2019 09:46:10

Here is a link to the Korloy through a UK agent.

https://www.cutwel.co.uk/lathe-tools/multifunctional-turn-drill-face-and-boring-systems/quad-turn-multifunctional-3xd-tool-holder-qtrl-3-series-korloy

They are really ment for cnc with through coolant. But can be used on a manual lathe with a squirt bottle. The smaller 10mm and 14mm work well on a Colchester sized lathe. Not tried them on my myford. I have made my own Dbit tools for non ferrous materials on the Myford as a combination drill turn tool.

With my 1/4 inch carbide , on ali and brass , dont go more than 30mm deep. In plastic and wood I go upto 70mm deep.

Neil

13/03/2019 06:29:42

I no longer have a tangential tool and seldom use anything in hss. I don't run my lathe faster than 800 rpm on anything, and the modern carbide tools are just awesome , especially for the amount that can be done on 1 edge.

There is a huge range, and more places are now selling lower numbers of inserts. Only this week, a trade supplier who only last week, the min quantity was a box of 10 or how ever many was in a packet, now offer single inserts or a mix and match option, and they did not make the single inserts more expensive either. So a selection of different radius options is very viable now.

If I was to buy a new tool, it would be a multi turn tool. They groove, turn, and have different geometry inserts from full radius to various bull nose inserts. The 3mm wide tool seems to have the widest range of geometries. Another interesting tool is the MDT tool, where it can drill, bore and outer turn with the same tool.

So there is some really interesting stuff out there for sure.

Neil

Thread: Interference fit of bush - PB into mild steel
07/03/2019 06:52:47

Actually if you use castor oil, you can have a 0.001 inch diameter press fit and assemble it without too much trouble at all. No need to heat anything.

Neil

Thread: Machining cork!
05/03/2019 06:45:17

Grind it. With a dremel and sanding drums works really well. The use a vacuum cleaner to keep the dust to a minimum.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest