By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Tummers

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Tummers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moore & Wright disaster
07/08/2014 16:35:49

What I have bought are 2 VARTA ,Ni-MH ,2/V250H ,+2,4V cells.There is a green hard plastic cover around the 2-cell packs that easily slides off in one direction. With the cover on, the diameter is slightly too large.

07/08/2014 13:55:22

Update; This morning I received the batteries . I simply could slide off the plastic sleeved frem them, remove the pins were necessary- left one pin at the + and one at the - and bent those backward and the package slid without problems into the battery holder of my Micro 2000. switched it on and it worked!

Next thing is to find out about reloading them when empty, perhaps the with the micrometer supplied charger will work?

I was ready for 25 Euro incl. shipping costs!

03/08/2014 00:22:48
Posted by Kevin Fenrich on 02/08/2014 15:39:53:
by Michael Gilligan on 31/07/2014 22:50:06:

Slightly off-topic, but you guys with Classic digital micrometers might apprciate these.

[of course they are only "digital" in the human interface]

MichaelG.

I have a later type of counter micrometer

I have one of those, they are very good tools and accurate. What I like especially is that the Moore & Wright has spring tension which improves accuracy in taking measurement very much.

image.jpg

02/08/2014 11:05:55

I bought them on Ebay, the name of the shop is batterieplus, a German shop.

02/08/2014 11:01:49

Yes, I asked a simple question about payment which they would have been able to answer very easily but when I get no answer within a reasonable time, I will not further bothering them. There are more companies to do business with in Europe.

02/08/2014 10:48:28

When you have a piece of high tensile steel pipe that matches the dimensions of that spring, I do not see any difficulty in making one, before heat treating it can be turned, filed and drilled without any problems.

Only thing is, make sure, there are no scratches left in the inner/outer surface because that is asking for breaking, I got some experience with this in gunlock springssad.

02/08/2014 10:40:08

I was able to buy 2 of the 2,4V Varta 2XV250H cells! No answer from Farnell, so that will be a company not to do business with in the future.

31/07/2014 22:41:56

Thanks to all of you for the overwhelming responses and help!

I think, there is enough room for the 0,8mm extra hight and the diameter of 25,2 mm was measured from the dead cell including crimp foil I took out of the micrometer, think, even 26 or 27 mm will fit in the battery compartment.

Unfortunately Farnell does not accept Paypal, so I will have to look ok Ebay to get a 3+1 stack to get the needed 4,8 Volts. What I know from experience is that not only there voltage must match, also the amount of AH must be in line to avoid an explosion of a cell. I had this problem some years a goo with a rechargeable flashlight and it exploded right in my hands when I switched it on and it did cost me over 75% of the use of my right thumb, stiff and no feel in it anymore.

31/07/2014 16:07:44

Yes indeed! Thank You!! I will check or they accept Paypal and when they do order 2 of those!

Hope, they can be recharged with the regular charger.

31/07/2014 11:24:33

Outside diameter is 25.2mm, one stack of 2 coin batteries has a hight of 13mm, sorry about this, I should have written down the dimensions right-away!

31/07/2014 10:19:22

The battery are 2 stacked coin cells, each stack is built-up from 2 coin cells in crimp-foil. On the foil is printed HW1 70K2L, 2.4V , 170 MAH.

31/07/2014 08:34:52

Thank you Michael!

I am not very good with electronics, mine does work perfect when attached to its loader so that is not a problem.

The very nice thing is that there is a constant pressure when measuring, so hardly any fault readings and that is why I would like to use mine again in a normal way- not bound to a wire.

I will have some more malt and think about the costs of the battery replacement.

30/07/2014 23:45:45

Hope, somebody will have an answer for me; I already mailed Moore & Wright about this but got no answer.

I happen to have one of those old digital Micro 2000 micrometers, the battery needs to be replaced, who can help me out with a source for this?

Thread: thread indicator
07/05/2014 21:57:19
Posted by DMR on 07/05/2014 20:52:08:

If Paul Tummers still wants a Myford TDI he can PM me for far less than flee-bay, and it's perfect

Dennis

Thank you Dennis; it seems, I was too quick because today the man who has done the complete overhaul and conversion to metric mailed me, he had one for me, it was on the machine before he started working on it and belongs to my Myford, so it will be resprayed in Myford grey and then I can pick it up. I am a lucky guy, Myfordsolutions is only 10 miles from my house.

06/05/2014 23:22:02

Any idea were to go to buy a Myford indacator for a Super 7 at reasonable costs?

I badly need one in good shape.

Thread: Myford Capacitor problem?
06/05/2014 23:16:22
Posted by Nick_G on 05/05/2014 11:50:21:
Posted by Les Jones 1 on 05/05/2014 11:08:17:

Very often capacitors used for this sort of application have a resistor connected across the terminals to discharge them.

Les.

Reminds me of 'the good ole days' (30 years ago) when it was considered acceptable to discipline apprentices for doing something wrong. (something serious like forgetting to put sugar in the tea) laugh

We would get a capacitor from an old flou fitting and clip out the bleed resistor. Then charge the cap with a 1000 volt Megger (insulation tester)

The next step I am sure you can guess.? wink But it resulted in squeaking and an improved ethos to get it right next time. devil

Can you imagine the kufuffle if that sort of thing was done today.? surprise lol Back then it was considered 'normal'. But today I would imagine considered similar to walking into a bank brandishing a machine gun.!

Nick

Is this the same way of thinking like with building an electric mouse trap?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest