By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Gibson

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Gibson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tom Senior S-Type Head
06/05/2020 21:01:17

Yes that looks identical, except that there is no oil cup.

I'll have to fish around to see if there's an oil nipple to somewhere. Many thanks!

06/05/2020 20:26:23

Where do I find a link to this forum?

06/05/2020 17:51:49

Hi Clem

This is indeed an R8 spindle. It was originally acquired from Rolls Royce by the previous owner. However, I still can't find the oil points 😉

I will check out the Groups.io as you suggest, thank you

Regards

Steve

06/05/2020 09:44:33

Yes, I've seen the heads with oil points on the front at the top and on the quill feed, but this head doesn't have them, any ideas?

06/05/2020 09:44:32

Yes, I've seen the heads with oil points on the front at the top and on the quill feed, but this head doesn't have them, any ideas?

05/05/2020 11:06:35

Hi

I have acquired a nice Tom Senior Mill, the Newer Denford Model c1973 I think, with an S-Type head but no horizontal capability.

It runs very well, relatively quiet and no play, but I cannot find any maintenance points (oil/grease etc) for the quill.

Does anyone know if this is a self contained, maintenance free quill or if I am missing something?

s-l1600.jpg

All the best

Steve

Edited By Steve Gibson on 05/05/2020 11:07:34

Edited By Steve Gibson on 05/05/2020 11:15:12

Edited By Steve Gibson on 05/05/2020 11:17:45

Thread: Polishing Stones
10/04/2017 18:44:36

Thank you for the feedback guys,

Russel, I am new to home machining and have seen a number of projects that I would like to finishto a high level ranging from carbon steel tooling, to aluminium and brass used in small steam/sterling engines and clock production.

Steve

09/04/2017 21:56:34

Hi

I am looking for advice on where best to get hold of some honing and polishing stones of various grades of grit to both hone tooling and polish parts for some projects I am looking to make in stainless and brass

There are lots of Chinese ones on eBay but Chinese quality always makes me nervous.

There are also various shapes and sizes, from large flat stones for tools, to small profiled hand stones so as a relative beginner it looks like a bit of a minefield.

Any advice on how to put together a decent 'stone kit' a relatively good quality would be most welcome

Thanks

Steve

Thread: Does anyone know what this is?
06/04/2017 12:43:18

Ok Thanks, it will be an interesting experiment to see what I can achieve - poor mans surface grinder ;p

06/04/2017 12:00:08

Any thoughts on speed and accuracy of this type of equipment for surface grinding with the right motor?

05/04/2017 17:07:52

Brilliant Thank you!

05/04/2017 15:49:49

It was advertised as a horizontal mill from a barn find and also suspected top be home made but I wasn't sure - cost me 70 quid!

The whole assembly is dirty but in very good condition and I wondered if it would withstand the speeds to be a small surface grinder? I still need to add a motor and could manufacture a spindle to suit.

From a horizontal mill perspective if anyone can direct me to some drawings or pictures of the missing top attachment I would appreciate it as I may make these and get it working.

Once I get it cleaned up/refurbished I will post some pictures and from a home made perspective I will probably Mic up the components and put some drawing together.

Any further suggestions on useful applications for this piece of kit would be most welcome

Thanks!

Edited By Steve Gibson on 05/04/2017 15:51:19

04/04/2017 22:27:27

Hi

I recently acquired this and wondered if anyone knew what it was originally for?

photo Horizontal Mill.png

Thanks

Steve

Thread: Myford ML7 Back Gear
27/04/2014 22:12:22

I've just purchased my first lathe, a Myford ML7.

It's a 1972 judging from the serial number, it has been used sparingly in a college from new and they have been turning wood on it judging by the sawdust in all the cavities.

It was 3 phase, so I am just putting on a single phase motor and I haven't yet ran it.

One thing I have noticed is that when I mesh the back gear to the chuck spindle it seem to lock the spindle, however when the back gear isn't meshed both the back gear and spindle spin freely. Is this normal as I can get my head around why 2 free spinning gears wont move when they are meshed?

Thanks

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest