By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Thorpe

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Thorpe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New lathe
14/03/2020 19:05:28

Good news - endless hours of fun and it will appreciate in value.

Edited By Nick Thorpe on 14/03/2020 19:06:40

09/03/2020 19:08:46

That AUD sounds like good value for money and is the best of the UD range. I bought an ex-school CUD from a dealer four years ago for £500 and they are now selling them for £1100.

I knew very little about lathes when I bought mine which is one reason why I bought it from a dealer. Boxfords are very robust and I would recommend that you run it for about ten minutes and listen for strange noises coming from the headstock bearings. Also make sure that the bed hasn't got any really nasty dings in it and make sure that anything that is meant to go round goes round.

I did an article for ME Workshop a while back about my Boxford and will email you a copy if you would like one.

Edited By Nick Thorpe on 09/03/2020 19:09:45

Thread: hi from Aarhus
21/11/2019 06:57:35

Welcome aboard!

Thread: Hieroglyphics on a Wehlen & Co clock face
03/09/2019 07:36:40

I have been interested in French marble clocks for about thirty five years and I haven't seen those markings on a dial before. Whelen was probably a wholesaler and the movement would have been made in one of three or four areas in France. The movements are of particularly high quality and a wonderful example of early mass or volume (French 'moyen' production techniques.

Seeing your thread a while back I emailed a gentleman who knows a lot about French marble and other clocks, but he hasn't replied and I fear that he is unwell.

I would suggest that you can definitely call your clock a French marble clock and it is a good example of its type.

Regards, Nick

Author 'The French Marble Clock, NAG Press, 1990

Edited By Nick Thorpe on 03/09/2019 07:37:49

09/08/2019 11:22:39

Deleted

Edited By Nick Thorpe on 09/08/2019 11:26:29

Thread: Harrison L6 weight ?
01/05/2019 19:03:58

Like you I found a manual with no weight which is strange.

This Harrison comes in at 1,230 pounds if that helps?

See Ebay US

Regards,

Nick

Thread: DRO for Boxford Lathe
03/04/2019 13:31:59

Hi Peter. I have a Boxford lathe without DRO's but fitted them to my Tom Senior mill. I found Machine DRO to be very helpful and although it seemed like a lot of money at the time I now see it as money well spent.

They do have promotions from time, but if you are in a hurry you could ring them to see if they have any 'seasonal promotions' on DROs at the moment - you might get lucky!

Regards,

Nick

Thread: Imperial Milling Machine
12/03/2019 11:13:01

I have a metric Tom Senior Vertical Light with X & Y DRO's and bought a three axis DRO display so that I could easily upgrade with a Z axis at a later date.

It was a fair chunk of money but really was money well spent - and I never look at the manual controls! You can buy this kit cheaply on Ebay etc but I found Machine DRO (right) to be really helpful and I managed to buy the kit during a Black Friday promotion.

Regards, Nick.

Thread: Restoration and modifications to a Tom Senior light vertical mill
31/12/2018 12:45:22

Hi Miles. I am not sure that the slot was intended for that purpose but it works! I think mine is circa 1978, from memory.

Picture below is of the old Tom Senior factory in Liversedge. Only a small photo I'm afraid as that is all all I could find on-line.

Regards, Nick.

.688614.jpg

Edited By Nick Thorpe on 31/12/2018 12:46:12

31/12/2018 11:32:04

Hi Miles. For alignment after moving the head out, I would wind the table up, put a large square on it and align the vertical part of the square with the machined slot on the left side of the head. For complete accuracy I would trammel the head with a dial indicator.

Regards, Nick.

ts.jpg

Edited By Nick Thorpe on 31/12/2018 11:45:51

Thread: Storing Machinery In Damp Conditions - Advice Please
24/10/2018 10:15:51

Thank you again everyone for your help & advice.

Nick

23/10/2018 12:46:26

Thank you everyone for your help and advice which is much appreciated.

I am looking forward to our new home but will miss the cosy workshop - for a while.

Nick.

23/10/2018 07:14:18

Morning All.

I will be moving soon to a new house and will have to store my Boxford lathe, Tom Senior mill and Elliot pillar drill in a rather damp and unheated garage.

Is there a special grease or oil that I could put on the exposed metal parts to keep rust at bay?

Any other tips and advice would be very welcome. Thanks. Nick.

Thread: Wyvern Piston Ring Suppliers - Advice Please
11/10/2018 06:43:22

Thank you Bob & Jason. Sounds like a good idea, especially given the prices! I have a piece of cast iron left over from the cylinder that I can use. Nick.

10/10/2018 17:08:03

I need a 1.25" x 1/16th" section piston ring for a Westbury Wyvern IC engine..

Could some kind soul point me in the right direction for a supplier. I could go back to the kit supplier but would rather try OEM first.

Many thanks, Nick

Thread: Supplier for Large Timber Workshop - Recommendations Please
19/07/2018 08:30:15

Thank you all for the feedback. My friend asked me to say that he is grateful for your help & advice. Regards. Nick

15/07/2018 09:56:38

Thanks Dave, I started with a Google search and those links are no longer active.

14/07/2018 10:08:49

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies that I have forwarded on to my friend.

Regards,

Nick

13/07/2018 08:33:53

Morning All,

A friend is looking for a timber workshop 5m x 4m, with pent roof. It will probably be bespoke. Can anyone reccommend a supplier please?

Many thanks,

Nick

PS: I bought mine from Malvern Timber Framed Buildings three years ago but they sadly seemed to have disappeared.

Thread: Magnetic Radiators
24/03/2018 19:46:03

Posted in error. Nick

Edited By Nick Thorpe on 24/03/2018 19:51:06

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest