By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin King 2

Here is a list of all the postings Martin King 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Order of work for small item?
22/07/2015 20:03:46

I do have the square indexer that takes my ER25 collets so that bit is good to go. I like the idea of doing the operations 2 at a time at both ends of the stock.

22/07/2015 14:47:27

Thanks guys, The construction of HH's Square collet looks like it might be within my capability so will have a go at that having first tried Jason's method.

The Milne pattern taps almost never have the 2 points they were supplied with which were plated brass I think.

I guess that you had to rely on the butler to retrieve them from the empty bottle!

Somewhere (?) I do have one original for final measurement IF ican find it frown

Thanks again for the help.

22/07/2015 13:52:58

I meant, ML7, WM18 & collets!

Martin

22/07/2015 13:46:42

Hi All,

I need to make approx 10 small brass tips to fit several Milne Pattern Champagne Taps that I have.

As they have a conical end and a square shaft I am not sure the best and easiest way to go about making these very small items.

It is possible that I may need to make quite a few more in the future.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated, I have an ML&, WM16 and collets

Thread: Archimedes Drill Part
28/06/2015 18:50:29

Thanks guys, I like the idea of 'casting' an araldite sleeve over shellaced core, will give it a go and report back.

regards,

martin

27/06/2015 15:01:24

Sorry guys! First thing I did was to take out the three screws! Inside its just a piece of brass rod with a hole through it. At one time there would have ben (might !) a hexagon shape to the hole but very hard to tell. Will take it apart again and post a pic when I have a moment.

Neil: I suppose that it is possible that the end plate had filed gooves (points ) to fit into the spiral I will ;look more closely at it under a glass.david: like the idea of resin casting!

Michael G: Yes a particularly nice one, hence worth taking the trouble over, came from a french goldsmiths shop with a lot of his other tools.... yummy!

27/06/2015 09:49:33

drill 3.jpgdrill 2.jpgHi all,

Just got this rather nice Archimedes Jewellers Drill from France.

The sliding section is a brass insert in the ebonised beech wooden part.

It should engage in the twists in the central spiralrod to rotate the shaft when pushed down but is completely worn out.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how I go about replacing this part? It does not matter if I have to turn a new wooden part in ebony or whatever.

The shaft ia approx 1/4" diameter and a very 'slow' spiral as shown.

drill 1.jpg

Thread: Flypress
12/06/2015 12:56:51

Hi Vic,

I am in Broadmayne near Dorchester and would be interested in it, could pick up etc. 01305 854072

Regards,

martin

Thread: Excel Query
07/05/2015 19:05:52

mANY THANKS jOHN, i DO HAVE aCCESS BUT IT IS NOT INSTALLED, i WILL GIVE IT A GO ON A COPY OF MY FILE.

ops sorry about the caps lock.....

Martin

07/05/2015 10:10:56

Hi all,

Possibly not the best place for this here but I'll give it a try!

I have a large Excel spreadsheet that I use for my stock book for our little EBay business. It lists what we have paid for tools and what they sell for, works out all the costs of sales, Ebay fees, postage etc

It is about 20,000 lines long, stuff added every day or so.

We are always using the Find dialog to search for items, usually by text content & fill colour, ie RED for for sale, GREEN for sold pending payment plus colours for vaious auctions, suppliers etc.

This works very well for what we need, most of the time.

What I would like to know is if there is any way in excel FIND that one can search within the find dialog?

For example if I FIND 202 items that have Barnsley, is there a way I can search those for the one that also have, say 'hammer' as well while staying in the find list just generated? Kind of Find within find?

I cannot make the whole sheet a database as it is constantly changing, lines are always getting added, inserted or deleted.

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Anybody ever seen a level like this one?
29/04/2015 11:25:56

SGDG = Sans Garantie Du Gouvernment

29/04/2015 09:36:15

Hi Simon,

VERY nice level in pretty good order. Should you want to dispose of it may I suggest that the best place to realise the top dollar would be the nex International Tool Sale of David Stanley Auctions where I think you might be surprised what it will make...

Do not do anything to it at all is my advice, leave EXACTLY as it is. Level collectors hate them being messed with in any way.

I buy and sell (not collect) a LOT of levels and it is a rarified area of collecting.

A pic of the makers mark would be helpful if it is what I think it is...

Regards, Martin

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
19/04/2015 19:08:48

Hi Rik,

Any particular little tricks to making these holders as I have literally hundreds of al sorts of different tips in all sizes and shapes from all the tool lots that I get? It would be helpful to try and use a few if possible.

Regards, Martin

Thread: Power Supply for Parvalux Motor
17/04/2015 17:39:18

Thanks Ian, ordered and on the way! Diagram would be great thanks, martinking51@btinternet.com

Cheers

Martin

17/04/2015 09:24:05

Hi all,

I have just bought this small Parvalux motor for Ebay to try to use as a power up & own on the head of my Warco WM18 Mill.

The specs of the unit are:

Details
1440 RPM motor (at 24vDC)
40 RPM at output (at 24v)
will run on 12v (approx 20 rpm)
40 watt,
Gearbox Parvalux worm and wheel 2.81 Nm

Approx 60mm diameter rubber drive wheel on a 8mm shaft.

Does the 'panel' think that this is going to be suitable for my anticipated use?

I had a look at the 24V power supplies on eBay and was completely boggled by the vast number available. I know very little about electrics and wonder which would be the best thing to get. It would be great if there was a dual 12V/24 unit as I could use the 12V for other things also. Would it work as a charger for small batteries (12V) and for a small electrolysis unit?

Could the unit run the up and down on the mill at 2 speeds by switching voltage?

Given my lack of know how here should I leave well alone and get someone in to do this?

Really just trying this as I am chuffed to bits with the x axis power feed I just did using Ian Parkin's help and great idea.

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Warco WM18 Power X Feed?
09/04/2015 18:09:22

Hi All,

Finally got around to having a go at installing this unit with some very kind help and 'phone calls from Ian Parkin, many thanks Sir!.

Made the alloy plate by transfering the hole positions from the yellow plate on the mill, drilled and c/bored.

Made the steel posts and fiited to the dismantled motor plate then had a bit of head scratching to work out how to mark the holes on the alloy plate. In the end made a brass piece to fit the mill shaft at one end and the motor bush at the other, jiggled it all around with vee blocks to keep top edges square, held a small square against the transfer punch which had to have a turn of tape arounfd it as i have no metric ones. Got a pal to tap the punch whennm all square. One the DRO to my utter amazement the holes matched to within 2thou x & y!

When all bolted up , measured for the central sliding joint which was easily made. Then managed to break 2 centre drills and one tap while doing the bolt to tighten to the mill shaft! Going too fast I think so my fault.

I should mention that in the middle of all this I was using my brand new (2days) co-axial centre finder which is amazing. All was fine until I tried the little accessory that picks up a centre punch mark. I somehow had too much tension on the spring part and while adjusting it snapped off. I was not a happy bunny!

Arceuro told me that they do not carry spares and could only do another unit so was pretty much amazed when they got back to me and offered a complete second unit a a price that was way more than fair to help me out, great service!

The motor unit was finally put back on today but for some reason it only runs at one speed - pretty damn fast! the rheostat switch seems to do nothing so I guess its back on to AXI technical to see what the problem is.

feed 1.jpg

feed 2.jpg

feed 3.jpg

Thread: Odd Motor thingy!
01/04/2015 16:35:36

£31! Doncha just love EBay smiley

Thread: Small Springs needed?
01/04/2015 16:28:29

Hi all,

One of the jobs that I never seem to get around to is finishing the refurbing of the 15 or 20 or so single and double pinion hand drills that I have almost ready for sale.

The stumbling block is ALWAYS the three small springs that go in the chucks for the 3 small jaws.

I am forever waiting to come across old useless chucks that might have salvageable springs but not often that I find them.

As soon as I get one drill done they fly away on EBay as most are by Millers Falls or Goodell Pratt which are very collectable.

Any thoughts on where one might source these springs in quantity?

Also how does one specify a spring size please?

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Odd Motor thingy!
28/03/2015 14:51:53

Listed at 99p, be fun to see what happens!

Life on EBay is so full of surprises for my wife and I. Last week she came home from a boot sale with a rusty metal screwdriver that took her fancy for 20p because she could just see a name on it, when cleaned up it had a flag logo with the word PENNANT inside.

Turned out to be a screwdriver from the tool kit of a Vincent Black Shadow Motorcycle and made £165! Took 12 'phone calls about it and god knows how many emails.

Has turned out to be a nice little business as my film career comes to an end.

Martin

28/03/2015 14:17:58

Neil, I just noticed that too.... tryting to list it at the moment but InkFrog playing up as usual Grrrrr!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest