By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin King 2

Here is a list of all the postings Martin King 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
14/01/2022 08:34:48

Robin,

Great Horror story!

Martin

Thread: Meddings pillar drill value
11/01/2022 14:50:39

The Meddings sounds a bit on the high side to me at £700, nice machine went at auction this week for £350 + "the drip" so around £400 or so.

May not have been like for like but a large difference. Is it warranted good?

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Unusual Small Engine?
11/01/2022 09:34:27

Hi All,

The larger diameter part of the brass section seems to be in two pieces, will have a go with some soft jaw pliers when I get out to the shop late on.

Here are some more pics as requested:

motor 5.jpg

motor 6.jpg

motor 7.jpg

motor 8.jpg

Cheers, Martin

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
11/01/2022 08:43:34

Hi All

A fair while ago we came home to a flooded kitchen floor not long after I had relocated the water softener from under the kitchen sink into the workshop next door. This required drilling a hole through the cavity wall in order to pass the lengthened plastic hoses. I used foam to seal the holes.

Mr Rat had eaten the hose INSIDE the cavity wall and just inside the kitchen under the units after eating the foam.

We worked out that somehow he had got down from the roof space via the cavity so we trapped out the loft space.

Now paying attention we could hear the little sod scurrying in the wall.

Repaired the piping, this time putting the hose section inside the wall inside 22mm copper pipe and using cement to seal the holes. This seems to have worked.

Finally caught the little guy who was very fat!

We live next to our field so plenty of rodent activity around the house but our huge cat treats the whole area as his personal Serengeti so we are well used to the bits they leave behind!

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Unusual Small Engine?
08/01/2022 16:46:55

Hi, Will post some more pics tomorrow, we are busy ploughing through our haul of stuff! Great Fun!

Cheers, Martin

08/01/2022 16:17:42

Hi All,

Here is a small engine that was in with yesterdays auction lots; any info much appreciated.

115mm tall not inc the brass bit at the top and cylinder head is 36.5mm diameter widest. Crankcase is aluminium.

No idea what the brass bit is for?

motor 1.jpg

motor 2.jpg

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Speed Camera Flashes?
06/01/2022 17:21:12

Hi Juddy,

Thanks for that, I do so enjoy a bit of sanctimonious "holier than thou" comment! sad

To the rest of posters on this, my sincere thanks for increasing my awareness.

Cheers, Martin

06/01/2022 09:51:14

It was only 10 days ago..

Martin

Thread: 70 year old comment on model making!
06/01/2022 09:49:41

Hi All,

Just getting ready to list a nice 1952 book on model boat building and came across this in the foreword when taking the photos:

boat 5.jpg

I thought it was rather quaint!

Cheers, Martin

06/01/2022 09:40:08

Hi All,

Well, as expected, my late Xmas present from Devon & Cornwall Police hit the doormat yesterday!

81mph,

Must do better this year!

Cheers, Martin

Thread: What tool do I need? I need to measure the radius of a tiny fillet on a 90 edge.
04/01/2022 15:29:42

Probably just me but do I discern a possible typo in all this?

Could tool be misspelt when troll was intended?

I’ll get my coat…….

Martin

Thread: Middle of Lidl
30/12/2021 10:59:49

Hi All,

Just popped into my local Lidl for a set of these drills.

The attendant there told me that they had just 20 sets of these put out at 0800 this morning; there were just two left so I bought one for me and one for my neighbour.

Cheers, Martin

Thread: What is it please
28/12/2021 13:58:35

The VALTOCK 2000 was a later plated brass version with an extra reservoir attached at the side by a spring clip.

The top and bottom caps were made of aluminium and were notorious for seizing up almost needing stillsons to get them off.

Nearly always found with mollered top and bottom caps, undamaged ones are OK though.

Just had one last week that was a nicely done repurposed ECLIPSE AUTORAM grease gun; shame really as the Autoram is worth about 4x the item!

Cheers, Martin

28/12/2021 12:07:51

We restore lots of these!

martin

28/12/2021 12:07:10

Jewellers mouth operated blow lamp, needs a rubber tube and mouthpiece to be complete, my be marked Moore & Wright?

cheers, Martin

Thread: Myford Lathe Service
28/12/2021 10:16:03

Hi Roger Davies4,

"retired explosives engineer"!

That sounds like a fun job! Please elaborate!

Many years I was able to take the 3 underwater explosives courses at Fort Bovisand in Plymouth offered by the British Sub Aqua Club.

Had a great time learning the basics and it came in handy once or twice using shape charges on wreck propellers..

Apologies for the thread hijack!

Cheers, Martin

27/12/2021 13:31:46

Hi All,

Interesting hat the camera is sited near the bottom of a long straight hill, presumably to catch as many (income producing) drivers as possible. Single yellow camera on a post, not gantry.

Ian P, thanks for that, must be great being a saint! wink

Vic, pretty sure my speedometer (Peugeot digital readout type), reads a bit fast from some timed laps on a private circuit in France. Did it out of interest about 3 years ago at an FOC meeting, (sadly not an owner anymore though!).

Thanks for the info everyone.

Cheers, Martin

27/12/2021 11:41:52

Hi All,

Coming back from Cornwall yesterday, nice clear almost empty roads and good weather so was bowling along with cruise control set at 77mph.

Gabbing away to the missus so did not notice the speed increase as we went down a long hill but too late saw the grid lines on the road.

Looked in the mirror just in time to see a camera flash JUST ONCE. I had not missed another flash. (84mph!)

I thought they had to flash twice to get you using some sort of DOPPLER?

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Not looking forward to a late Xmas present from Devon Police!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Martin

Thread: Can you identify these hand tools?
23/12/2021 09:37:45

Hi All,

Cobblers glazing irons are very common with George Barnsley among the best makes from UK

Some of the French made ones are very collectable and come in a variety of slightly differing numbered profiles.

Used hot as always evidenced by the charred handles; these used to sit on a circular cast iron stand with scalloped edge to hold the tools in or near a flame ready for use.

They do actually "glaze" the welt edges when used correctly.

The holders are seriously rare as nearly always smashed being of very thin section cast iron.

On the silly note: on film sets the new runners were often sent to get a "long weight" or " sky hooks" by the riggers!

Have a great Xmas everyone! Martin

Thread: A great Victorian BRITISH Scam!
18/12/2021 16:41:14

Hi All,

I just got this funny little metal boxed Sewing Machine in with the junk haul I grabbed last week.

moldacot 1.jpg

I was amazed when I started to research it and discovered the great story behind it, British Swindlers at their best in Victorian days.

Worth a read!

LINK

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest