By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin King 2

Here is a list of all the postings Martin King 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 75mm x 2000mm Belt Linisher Build Thread
25/09/2021 15:41:55

Hi All,

Finished the two platen pullies with pressed in bearings, fairly easy this one!

linisher 16.jpg

linisher 15.jpg

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
19/09/2021 17:10:02

I am very pleased with the ALDI one, just take your time with the cut and keep the blade slack between use.

Eats through 25mm 304 stainless easily. just let the weight of the saw do the work.

Martin

Thread: 75mm x 2000mm Belt Linisher Build Thread
19/09/2021 17:08:05

HiAll,

Been busy away from this project for a while but have just done these pieces:

linisher 13.jpg

linisher 14.jpg

Made the axles from 25mm 304 stainless which was hard work, finally got the speed and feed about right (600rpm) to get a good finish. Got to "nearly there" then finished off with emery cloth for a nice fit on the bearings.

The M16 threads were hard work and had to use a diameter of 15.5mm in order to get the die to cut OK in low speed and back gear. Constant fwd & rev a bit at a time.

The stainless seems to work harden if you are not pretty aggressive with the cuts.

The threads are no oil painting for sure but they will be OK!

Slots in the brackets were a breeze in aluminium after the SS! Will round off the corners later on. It would be nice to have a linisher to do it on! smiley

Next job is the pullies.

Cheers, Martin

Thread: To laser cut or to water cut
11/09/2021 15:05:00

Hi,

I have been VERY happy with the water jet cut stuff I have had done both large and small parts, all to good tolerances, particularly the holes from 3/16W to M16

I use OCTAGON Precision, easy to find on the net if local to you. Small parts he just posts to me and I have my gauge plate material delivered direct to him.

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Gun Laying Plotter Instrument ?? OZALID
09/09/2021 17:51:33

Hi All, Thanks for the helpful input, it does seem to be a general purpose precision surveying instrument,

Found this one from the USA

usa inst.jpg

Cheers, Martin

09/09/2021 13:30:34

Hi All,

My wife came across this nice instrument at a local car boot, the chap said that he had it with him in the Falklands but I did not get to talk to him to quiz him further
Not much comes up under OZALID but I have certainly heard the name before.but cannot remember the context.
Nice that it is in a custom case with a lovely little magnifier and dividers by W HARLNG, a local firm from Weymouth.
My only thoughts are that it might be for gun laying using a plane table or some such? You can locate the circle centre very precisely with the glass to align the crosshairs. Presumably you can then get a precise fix from the bearings of known objects on the map?
Any thoughts most welcome
inst 1.jpg
inst 2.jpg
inst 3.jpg
inst 4.jpg
Cheers, Martin
Thread: Today's mystery Maker's Mark
07/09/2021 16:26:28

Michael.

+1 for Manfrotto, rings a definite bell with me!

Martin

Thread: Stanley combination plane
30/08/2021 13:45:20

Hi All,

Stanley were notorious for having all sorts of odd thread sizes on their tools and accessories!

Most of the small plough planes use 3/16BSW for the thumbscrews but you will often find 5/32 and 7/32 as well, sometimes even 9/32 here and there.

I have just had batches of plough plane clamps made for which I am using 3/16W for the new thumbscrews. It really does not matter except to the ultra purist collectors

i am about to order the LH taps and dies for the adjustable spokeshaves and plane adjuster threads, Tracy Tools being the go to guys!

cheers, Martin

Thread: Unusual Go-No Go Tool?
25/08/2021 05:57:38

Hi Jon,

no help I am afraid, it was discovered under the flap of a cardboard crate about to go in the bin!

just a box of mixed tools and stuff.

Martin

Thread: Radio Frequency Books FOC
23/08/2021 17:47:12

Hi All,

Just getting ready for a huge clear out and bonfire later in the week and came across these, seems a shame to burn them if they can be useful to someone.

Postage will be £3.20 to UK

Please PM me if of interest, first come first served!

radio.jpg

Cheers, Martin

23/08/2021 13:03:35

"A real enigma this one"

Perhaps used for pushing down the keys on a coding machine?.........

Hat, Coat etc....cheeky

Martin

Thread: Not One but Two Odd items!
22/08/2021 22:25:33

Hi all,

Some progress on the serrrated item, found this very similar item.

"It is a curry comb. It has a wick at the end. The handle is the fuel tank. Made of brass. I assume its from the 1860's to 1880's" Beakins Patent Singer Curry Comb.

comb 1.jpg

comb 2.jpg

Maybe my item is a later form using gas? Similar in all respects?

21/08/2021 18:30:20

BTW is that a helix on the parallel brass part of the point?

Martin

21/08/2021 18:29:20

Michael,

If the grubby window part will clean up it will transform the item visually!

Just wondering if there are is any small melted pitting on the inside which would support the arc idea? ie sparks?

Martin (who had no idea that this thread would run on so!) Excellent detailed work.

Martin

Thread: Hahn & Kolb micrometer
21/08/2021 18:24:24

Michael G,

Seems to be your week for interesting items in need of TLC! wink

Good luck with this one, lovely instrument.

Martin

Thread: Chinese "K40" laser
20/08/2021 22:33:44

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this thread but recently I saw some videos of a hand held laser cleaning portable unit that worked miracles on things like alloy cylinder heads, surface rust on metal, paint and grease on castings etc

It did not abrade or damage the surface in any way and looked to be the answer to all my tool cleaning prayers!

I got onto the company (TLM Laser) and the guy called me back and we decided that it was perfect for my needs the only drawback being it cost £58,000! Power was 50W to 200W depending on the model.

Why are they SO expensive please?

Regards, Martin .... Not ordering one any time soon!

Thread: Not One but Two Odd items!
17/08/2021 17:26:49

Hi Nigel,

There is no item 3! The bottom pic is from the bottom of the sight glass item. Main brass body is 28.5mm diameter; 145mm tall

Martin

17/08/2021 16:49:18

Hi All,

Just back from an auction with a crate of odd brass ware including these two odd items:

burner 1.jpg

burner 2.jpg

burner 3.jpg

Some sort of gas burning tool but no ideas what for?

water 1.jpg

water 2.jpg

water 3.jpg

water 4.jpg

Some sort of sight glass, a lot of the other items are steam related but this one has me stumped, there is a small bung or cork as indicated. Possibly for a stationary engine?

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers, Martin

14/08/2021 11:41:58

Hi Michael,

It will be in the post to you on Monday morning. Please email me your address again as I seem to have mislaid it! blush

Cheers, Martin

14/08/2021 11:06:29

Hi All,

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Does anyone want it? FOC and free postage!

Cheers, Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest