By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin King 2

Here is a list of all the postings Martin King 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Small MT2 Tailstock Chuck for ML7
27/01/2022 15:19:58

+1 for the Arc sensitive chuck that Jason shows, use mine all the time and it has a nice ‘feel’

Martin

Thread: Unusual Leather Rolling Machine
25/01/2022 20:24:18

We both work on the general basis of “if we like it, perhaps someone else will too”

We really enjoy finding nice odd items and bringing them back to life, the fact that they often make a it of profit helps too!

often things like this just end up at the scrapyard which I think is a great shame.

Now listed so we will wait and see….

Cheers, Martin

25/01/2022 17:16:30

Hi All,

Here are some pics of the restored machine, now ready to go.

Quite enjoyable to do but the parts were very heavy.

rollpress 1.jpg

rollpress 2.jpg

rollpress 10.jpg

rollpress 5.jpgrollpress 7.jpg

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Model Engine Castings Ident Boo Boo!
24/01/2022 18:27:03

smileysmileysmiley!

Martin

24/01/2022 08:02:19

Many thanks guys for clarifying all this.

As you know eBay is our small business and there is nothing worse than mis-describing items listed.

We try hard to be accurate in our listings and this has been a great help.

Cheers, Martin

23/01/2022 19:30:52

Jason, I do not have the second cylinder and second support bracket so I am OK with just the one of each.

Again, are there supposed to be two of the small castings to the right of the beam? I only have the one.

I will list the extra castings along with the main lot.

cheers, Martin

23/01/2022 17:38:33

Hi All,

i have sorted out the mis-description with the Auction House who were very helpful.

I have got a photo of what SHOULD be a FULL set of Sanderson castings and have marked the ones I do and do not have. There do however appear to be two cylinder casting and two of the support arm castings in the photo of which I only have one each? The Blackgates pic shows only one of each I think?

Y for what I have and X for what is missing.

sanderson mine.jpg

sanderson pic.jpg

I also appear to have 6 "extra" bronze or GM castings as shown here?

sanderson extra.jpg

Any help most welcome to get to the bottom of this so I can list them with confidence and accuracy.

Cheers, Martin

21/01/2022 15:51:53

The auction house has agreed the mis description, just waiting to see how we resolve it.

Cheers, Martin

20/01/2022 19:01:19

Thanks very much guys for the help.

will go through the items carefully tomorrow to see EXACTLY what I have before listing them again.

I will also have a chat with the auction house about their description which was why I was bidding in the first place.

however it does go to show that a little knowledge (on my part) can be dangerous! 😗

cheers, Martin

20/01/2022 18:07:56

Hi All,

I do not wish to mislead anyone with my latest listing which is SUPPOSEDLY for a set of STUART Beam Engine castings minus the flywheel as in the auction description where I bought them in with other stuff.

Pretty sure they ARE NOT Stuart so would love some help identifying them please.

beam 1.jpg

beam 2.jpg

beam 4.jpg

beam 5.jpg

I have pulled the listing until clarified.

Regards, Martin

Thread: Unusual Leather Rolling Machine
20/01/2022 14:51:21

Hi All,

just stripped this down completely and sent the rollers and some other parts to be polished. Found some remnants of the original green finish so will match that colour for the restoration.

Fortunately all the pins securing the gears etc all came out easily and there are no damaged parts. Will need me to turn up a new handle in greenheart that I have loads of.

Chees, Martin

17/01/2022 16:50:18

Auction description

An antique cobblers leather roller mangle by Gustav Rafflenbeul Schwelm, W 53cm x H 70cm x D 48cm.

17/01/2022 16:47:51

Hi Michael,

the same German company made a machine brand called Rodi which was a leather roller for thin sections, also the auction description was leather machine, though that may not be a good thing to go by!

I am comfortable with it being that but have no idea of how it would be used in anger so to speak. Lots of heavier leather work is done wet and the work takes a ‘set’ wHen it dries out.

will post the name in a moment.

cheers Martin

17/01/2022 15:27:26

Bump

16/01/2022 18:48:44

Hi All,

Just got this lovely machine at auction, could not believe that we were the only bidder. Very heavy item at 70cm tall but complete and undamaged.

leather mangle.jpg

Not sure of its exact use but saddlery comes to mind, perhaps rolling the leather wet to set into the correct curvature when dry?

All thoughts welcome.

Regards, Martin

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
14/01/2022 08:34:48

Robin,

Great Horror story!

Martin

Thread: Meddings pillar drill value
11/01/2022 14:50:39

The Meddings sounds a bit on the high side to me at £700, nice machine went at auction this week for £350 + "the drip" so around £400 or so.

May not have been like for like but a large difference. Is it warranted good?

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Unusual Small Engine?
11/01/2022 09:34:27

Hi All,

The larger diameter part of the brass section seems to be in two pieces, will have a go with some soft jaw pliers when I get out to the shop late on.

Here are some more pics as requested:

motor 5.jpg

motor 6.jpg

motor 7.jpg

motor 8.jpg

Cheers, Martin

Thread: An unpleasant nocturnal experience.
11/01/2022 08:43:34

Hi All

A fair while ago we came home to a flooded kitchen floor not long after I had relocated the water softener from under the kitchen sink into the workshop next door. This required drilling a hole through the cavity wall in order to pass the lengthened plastic hoses. I used foam to seal the holes.

Mr Rat had eaten the hose INSIDE the cavity wall and just inside the kitchen under the units after eating the foam.

We worked out that somehow he had got down from the roof space via the cavity so we trapped out the loft space.

Now paying attention we could hear the little sod scurrying in the wall.

Repaired the piping, this time putting the hose section inside the wall inside 22mm copper pipe and using cement to seal the holes. This seems to have worked.

Finally caught the little guy who was very fat!

We live next to our field so plenty of rodent activity around the house but our huge cat treats the whole area as his personal Serengeti so we are well used to the bits they leave behind!

Cheers, Martin

Thread: Unusual Small Engine?
08/01/2022 16:46:55

Hi, Will post some more pics tomorrow, we are busy ploughing through our haul of stuff! Great Fun!

Cheers, Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest