By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian John

Here is a list of all the postings Brian John has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Who has built the Sophie beam engine from Bengs (Germany) ?
16/04/2014 06:47:38

Has anybody built the Sophie beam engine from Bengs (Germany) ?

**LINK**

I have never used a lathe before and I was thinking of making this my first project on my new Sieg C2 lathe (once I get it out of the box). Does anybody have any thoughts on the suitability of this as a first time project for the lathe ?

Thread: How do I set up a Sieg C2 lathe ?
16/04/2014 06:42:55

I have recently purchased a Sieg C2 lathe ; it is still sitting in its box on the living room floor as I have not yet purchased a suitable workbench for it. It is much heavier than I thought it would be !

Once I get it on the workbench, can I use it straight away ? Are there certain things I have to do before using a new lathe ? I have never used a lathe before and the local TAFE college does not have a lathe course so I will have to learn from books and youtube.

Thread: BA, ME, Metric Coarse or Imperial : which taps and dies to buy ?
12/04/2014 13:15:12

It was my intention to buy the taper tap (1st) and bottom tap (3rd) ; I was not going to buy the intermediate tap (2nd). Is it necessary ? Most sets only have the first and third taps.

12/04/2014 10:44:32

So the gerund is dying :'' I am dying this piece of copper tube''. That sounds strange !

How do you not pay full price from a dealer ?

I would assume that the carbon steel taps from both Tracy Tools and Chronos Engineering are of good quality but I am now inclined to buy HSS.

Metric : coarse or fine ? It seems that coarse is the most commonly used but all opinions are welcome.

Edited By Brian John on 12/04/2014 10:52:55

12/04/2014 04:55:01

I will not be tapping under power. It is my intention to tap in my Sieg C2 lathe, turning it by hand. But I have to get it set up first ; it is still sittting in the box on the floor. It is much heavier than I thought it would be ! My first lathe job will be to make a spindle handle so that I can turn the lathe by hand for tapping. I thought all lathes came with a spindle handle as it seems such a useful accessory.

I will buy my taps from either Tracy Tools or Chronos Engineering.

What is the verb for using a die ?

Edited By Brian John on 12/04/2014 04:55:45

Edited By Brian John on 12/04/2014 04:57:08

11/04/2014 13:54:26

I live in Cairns, Australia and I purchase from both the UK and the US.

11/04/2014 10:44:16

I have already bought carbon steel ME taps for the 1/8-40, 3/16-40 and 1/4-40 (Tracy Tools) but these will be used on copper and brass for pipe work and boilers so they should be okay for that.

I will follow the above advice and just buy what is needed and only buy HSS taps and dies from now on. Thanks.

11/04/2014 05:48:11

I am new to model engineering and I am wondering what nuts, bolts, taps and dies most people use when building model stationary steam engines. Is it BA, ME, Metric Coarse or Imperial ? Are there a few sizes which keep cropping up ?

Thread: Midwest Steam Vertical Boiler
10/04/2014 17:47:38

The PMR boilers are quite expensive but I must admit they are very good..

The ebay ad does say '''Boiler includes a pressure relief valve''.

Some of the youtube videos of the completed PMR engines have them running at very low PSI (about 5 PSI) which is why I thought I might get away with using the Midwest Steam boiler.

I have never built a boiler before and I was not really keen on having something that runs at 30 to 40 PSI on the bench. I thought it might be safer to have my first boiler run at less than 10 PSI

Edited By Brian John on 10/04/2014 17:51:41

Thread: Painting Model Steam Engines
10/04/2014 14:17:47

Thanks, I had done a search but I was not coming up with anything much.

Thread: Midwest Steam Vertical Boiler
10/04/2014 14:04:37

I live in Cairns, Australia and I am pretty sure that it has a safety valve.

Edited By Brian John on 10/04/2014 14:05:02

10/04/2014 06:44:08

Has anybody built the Midwest Steam engine and vertical boiler kit ? I want to use this boiler to power the PM Research model stationary engines 3BIM and 7BIM.

1. How many PSI does this boiler generate ?

2. Could I use a methylated spirits burner in this boiler ? Midwest Steam recommend sterno but I want to use something else if possible.

3. Is the boiler made of copper ?

Edited By Brian John on 10/04/2014 06:44:52

Thread: Painting Model Steam Engines
10/04/2014 05:13:07

I am currently building two fully machined kits by PM Research : 3BIM and 7BIM. I have a few questions relating to painting these machines.

1. Does etch primer go off ? I have a 4 year old tin of Wattyl Killrust etch primer suitable for brass, aluminium, copper and other non ferrous metals.

2. Could this etch primer be used on the cast iron base ? Yes, I know cast iron is a ferrous metal

3. What sort of primer should be used on cast iron ? I have spoken to the major paint manufacturers here and none of them have a product specifically for cast iron. It sounds like they are wary of it and do not want to put their name to any product used on cast iron.

Thread: Who has one of these tapping fixture tools ?
05/04/2014 10:47:42

Okay, I will give this tool a miss. I have not bought a drill press yet but I do have a Sieg C2 lathe. It is still sitting in its box on the living room floor. It is much bigger and heavier than I thought it would be I have to buy a suitable workbench before I set it up.

I thought all lathes came with a spindle handle but apparently not so it looks like this will be my first job on the lathe, then I can use the lathe for tapping.

05/04/2014 04:34:44

Who has used one of these tapping fixture tools ?

**LINK**

1. Are they any good ?

2. Who makes a vice small enough to fit (60mm centre to centre) ? Chronos say that they do not have any vices that small.

I am new to model engineering and I think that tapping without the right tools will cause problems.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest