By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian John

Here is a list of all the postings Brian John has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Who makes a displacement lubricator threaded 3/16-40 ?
06/05/2014 22:14:58

I should have said ''...other than PMR''. Surely somebody else must make them ?

Thread: Using a die to cut a thread on brass/copper pipe.
06/05/2014 09:51:30

I will try some of these ideas tomorrow because I have to go to work tonight. I am cutting from the side with the printing so i think I got that right but all I am doing is cutting a chamfer on the tube...not a thread.

I cannot turn anything in my new lathe yet as it is still in the box on the floor. I have to build a workbench for it first.

06/05/2014 07:19:14

Okay, I will try repositioning the die so that the middle screw is in the split. Why is copper nasty stuff to thread ? I thought it would be easy as it is soft.

06/05/2014 06:06:36

I have posted many questions on taps (quality and how to use them) but I have never asked about dies. I thought they would be simple to use ! I have some 3/16'' copper and brass tubing and I need to put a 3/16-40 thread on them ; they are to be used for live steam plumbing on a stationary steam engine.

I put the tubing in a small vice ; the tubing was wrapped in leather so as not to mark it. But I cannot get the die to cut. I am cutting from the side with the stamp ''3/16-40''. The other problem I am having is keeping the tubing from moving; I do not think the leather provides enough grip. I have ordered a larger vice with horizontal and vertical V notches to better hold the pipe but it has not arrived yet.

The dies are CS and purchased from Tracy Tools. The die holder just arrived today. It was purchased from ebay (''Faithful'' brand). There are some photos here. Have I got it set up correctly ?

dscn0006.jpgdscn0004.jpg

Edited By Brian John on 06/05/2014 06:23:52

Thread: Who makes a displacement lubricator threaded 3/16-40 ?
05/05/2014 22:18:01

Who makes displacement lubricators for stationary steam engines ? I require the inlet pipe to be threaded 3/16-40.

Thread: What is this fourth (threaded) hole in the die stock holder ?
05/05/2014 09:40:01

I thought ''grub screws'' and ''set screws'' were different terms for the same thing ?

02/05/2014 14:14:28

The die stock holder I ordered arrived today and there is a fourth hole which is threaded just to the front right in the photo. What is this hole for ?

**LINK**

Thread: Correct position of displacement lubricator.
01/05/2014 10:56:48

I thought the lubricator had to be in the steam pipe ? How does it pick up oil and get to the cylinder/piston ?

I do not think it would be possible here :

dscn0004.jpg

01/05/2014 05:05:35

Now that I have finished assembling the PM Research 3BIM engine, it is time to consider the pipe work which will lead to the boiler. The choice of boiler has not yet been made but I am considering the Midwest Steam vertical boiler.

Reading some other questions on this forum about lubricators, it is clear that the lubricator should be positioned as close as possible to the engine. Where should the globe valve controlling the steam go : before or after the lubricator ?

I have seen photos of completed stationary steam engines on the internet where the globe valve is closest to the boiler followed by the lubricator. This seeems correct as it places the lubricator close to the engine. But other photos show the lubricator close to the boiler followed by the globe valve near the engine which does not seem right ?

Edited By Brian John on 01/05/2014 05:07:54

Edited By Brian John on 01/05/2014 05:08:30

Thread: Who makes miniature imperial combination or open end spanners ?
30/04/2014 18:16:16

I live in Cairns, Australia. There is very little available here. I buy everything I need from the Uk or the US.

30/04/2014 13:07:07

Has anybody used these ?

**LINK**

They look good for getting into tight and awkward spots.

Edited By Brian John on 30/04/2014 13:09:21

Thread: Problem setting up stationary engine.
29/04/2014 22:21:09

No, I meant that the Loctite is holding the screw in the crank

29/04/2014 12:23:29

Yes, there is a bush in the connecting rod bearing. The Loctite is holding it for now.

Thread: Can low pressure steam boilers be soft soldered ?
29/04/2014 09:41:21

Perhaps the Midwest Steam vertical boiler might be a better option. It uses a copper boiler.

Thread: Who makes miniature imperial combination or open end spanners ?
29/04/2014 06:29:35

I bought a nice set of small metric combination spanners by Bergen (4mm to 10mm). I am having trouble finding a set of something similar in imperial : starting at 1/8 inch or even smaller. Does anybody know who makes an imperial set of combination or open ended spanners ?

28/04/2014 22:23:03

In photo #2 you can see the screw passing through the connecting rod to the crank which keeps coming loose. I can't see how it can NOT come loose ! I would have thought a better idea would have been a slightly longer screw or bolt with a nut at the other end. There is just enough room for a thin nut.

Any ideas, thoughts or a solution are welcome.

Thread: Can low pressure steam boilers be soft soldered ?
28/04/2014 22:16:21

I think I will hard solder this boiler when I buy it. I need to learn how to do it some time and this will be as good as any place to start.

28/04/2014 07:21:33

I thought that all steam boilers had to be hard soldered ; I think silver soldering and brazing are also terms for the same thing.

But according to the website, this boiler by Forest Classics can be soft soldered :

**LINK**

Is this because it is low PSI ? How high does the pressure have to be before hard solderering becomes mandatory ?

27/04/2014 22:09:58

Who sells hexagon headed screws ?

27/04/2014 05:51:31

dscn0008.jpgdscn0005.jpg

dscn0004.jpg

I am making a proper plinth for this engine but this is what it looks like now. You can see the small pump I first tried in the background of photo 2. I think this pump only generates about 1 or 2 PSI but I think that once I seal the holes to the valve it may just have enough power to turn the engine over slowly.

Now I have to build a boiler !

Edited By Brian John on 27/04/2014 05:57:24

Edited By Brian John on 27/04/2014 06:00:53

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest