By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian John

Here is a list of all the postings Brian John has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Using a die to cut a thread on brass/copper pipe.
21/05/2014 06:09:59

I will be ordering some HSS taps and dies next time I place an order with Tracy Tools. In the mean time, I am still experimenting with the carbon dies. I have cut another thread on one end of a 25mm piece of pipe. My biggest problem is stopping the pipe from turning so the vice has to be screwed up VERY tightly. The vice I am using has V notches so that does help. But how do I cut a thread on the other end of the pipe as putting the already-cut thread end in the vice will crush that thread ?

Thread: How to machine a flywheel ?
19/05/2014 09:54:13

I have a Sieg C2 7 X 12 lathe. I have ordered one of each of these flywheels and pulleys :

**LINK**

Well, I have ordered most of them ; some in brass, bronze, aluminium and cast iron.

Edited By Brian John on 19/05/2014 09:54:51

19/05/2014 06:51:06

Does anybody have any photos of (3 inch to 7 inch) flywheels corrrectly held in place on the lathe prior to machining ? From what I have read, a flywheel cannot be held in a 3 jaw chuck so it has to be bolted to a face plate. I would like to see how this is done.

Thread: Running small stationary steam engines
17/05/2014 04:44:59

Okay, no more aquarium pumps. It is time to build a proper steam boiler of some description. I was thinking of using the Midwest Steam vertical boiler but now I am not sure that it will produce the necessary pressure and air flow.

16/05/2014 17:58:41

This aquarium pump delivers 210 litres/hour. Some aquarium pumps can deliver 450 litres/hour. Do you think that even this would be insufficient ?

16/05/2014 14:27:31

I use my airbrush compressor to run my single cyclinder 3BIM stationary engine by PM Research. The compressor is quite noisy but I can dial it down to something less than 5 PSI to keep it running nicely. The pressure gauge does not read accurately at low pressures so I am not sure of the exact PSI. After I turn the compressor off, the engine will continue to run for about ten revolutions so it quite free wheeling.

But I cannot get this engine to run on an aquarium pump. The pump I bought is rated at 2.9 PSI but it is just not enough ; the engine wants to start but it just cannot tick over. Would a one way check valve help at all ? I am not sure of the differences between an airbrush compressor and an aquarium pump.

Edited By Brian John on 16/05/2014 14:28:11

Thread: BA, ME, Metric Coarse or Imperial : which taps and dies to buy ?
14/05/2014 14:19:01

Tracy tools offer three sizes of 2mm metric coarse tap : 2 X .25, 2 X .4 and 2 X .45. What do the numbers .25, .4 and .45 refer to ?

If a bar stock kit calls for a 2mm tap then how do you know which one to buy ?

14/05/2014 13:13:30

After initially placing the order for the carbon taps and dies with Tracy Tools, I reconsidered ; then I called them back two hours later to change the order to HSS but the carbon taps and dies had already been posted !

14/05/2014 10:37:49

Outside diameter of the pipe = 4.73mm

Outside diameter of the thread = 4.59 to 4.64 (It varies according to where I measure it. I think this would be caused by making adjustments to the centre screw.)

Thread: Why did my Flywheel Wobble?
14/05/2014 06:31:31

Yes, I would have thought that boring the hub would be the first step in machining a flywheel. Are there disadvantages in doing this first ?

NOTE : I did a search for '' maching a flywheel'' but turned up no results.

14/05/2014 06:00:01

Success...I think ! I opened the die out as much as I could using the centre screw. I was still having problems with the brass tube turning in the vice but I persevered by turning the die stock back and forwards about 10 degrees left and right ( a see sawing movement). Eventually, things became easier. I overdid it a bit as you can see : far too many threads

I think all my problems were caused by incorrectly fitting the die to the diestock the first time. As others pointed out, the centre screw was in the wrong place and this closed the die up too much.

1. Is that new vice okay ? As you can see from the top view the red base is not quite parallel with the jaws. I am not sure if this affects its grip ?

2. I have put a machined ell piece ( by PM Research) on the brass tube but it only goes on about two full turns. This seems to be the norm when buying machined parts as I have tested some of their other fittings with each other. These are straight pipe, not MTP. I thought they should screw on further than that ?

3. How do you clean all the filings from the die once you have finished with it ?

dscn0001.jpg

dscn0003.jpg

dscn0004.jpg

dscn0005.jpg

Edited By Brian John on 14/05/2014 06:04:23

Edited By Brian John on 14/05/2014 06:08:24

13/05/2014 06:00:52

Tomorrow, I will try enlarging the die with the centre screw and have another go. I did not think that the centre screw would enlarge the die enough to make any difference but obviously it does.

Edited By Brian John on 13/05/2014 06:02:11

12/05/2014 09:39:20

I am threading the brass tube. I have given up on the copper altogether ! Can this really be done by hand ie. without using a vice ? If that is so, then I am doing something very wrong.

12/05/2014 06:10:44

UPDATE : My new heavier vice with the V notches arrived so I have put the brass tube in that and tried again. Still no luck as the tube keeps turning. I have got about two turns of thread cut on the tube but I cannot get any more. I am not sure what to try next. I was really not expecting to have any problems using dies : I thought using taps would be the big problem. I must be doing something wrong as some people said I should not need a vice at all ?

Edited By Brian John on 12/05/2014 06:11:22

08/05/2014 10:54:16

The pipe was order from the US so I am sure it will be 3/16 inch. I will check it now : 4.64mm

Edited By Brian John on 08/05/2014 10:54:42

Thread: Silver Solderin
08/05/2014 10:51:25

I live in Cairns, Australia. There is 45% silver solder available on ebay but it is expensive stuff ! I will look around for the cheapest supplier in either the UK or the US.

08/05/2014 05:15:12

What percentage silver solder is required for model steam boilers and pipe work ? My local hardware store has a range of silver solders : 2%, 5% and 15%. Are these adequate ?

07/05/2014 10:30:08

I love the pipe work Jason. But what is it ? smiley How did you cut the threads on the copper tubing ?

Edited By Brian John on 07/05/2014 10:30:42

07/05/2014 06:13:47

Nobby : my lathe is still sitting in its box on the floor. It is not set up yet. Anyway, I should know how to use dies by hand.

There is a chamfer on the printed side and I am using that. I have tried again this afternoon after changing the position of the die so that the middle screw is on the split but with no success. The copper tube is just a mess ! I managed to cut a few threads on the brass tube but after that that the tube kept turning. I will have to wait for the larger vice with the V notches so that I can get a good grip on the tube.

Edited By Brian John on 07/05/2014 06:14:36

06/05/2014 22:18:27

Yes, I know that PM Research engine have MTP on their steam inlets and outlets on the engine but I will be using straight pipe everywhere. I think that MTP is more trouble than it is worth.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest