By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian John

Here is a list of all the postings Brian John has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Building a workbench
30/06/2014 06:03:05

I was told that if your cutting tools are set at the correct angles and the chuck speed is adequate then there will not be too much noise. Have I been misinformed ? I will only using it in the afternoon for an hour or so each day.

Swarf : Yes, I am worried about making a mess but, never having used a lathe before, I will tackle that problem once I see it for myself. I would not even think of doing this if I had carpet on the floors !

29/06/2014 22:27:29

I intend to put two pieces of pine lengthways under the legs. This will protect the floor tiles and I will screw the bench to these pieces to help square things up.

I will not use MDF board for anything and especially not inside the house. As it ages and breaks up it releases formaldehyde which is a proven carcinogen. I am amazed that they are even allowed to sell this stuff !

29/06/2014 03:56:47

I cannot bolt it to the floor as I live in rented premises and the lathe/bench will be inside the apartment but I will be bolting the lathe to the bench.

Thread: Which is the best parting tool ?
28/06/2014 04:27:40

I like this one a lot but the seller does not have spare blades :

**LINK**

Who makes spare blades to fit this parting tool : 1.5 X 10 X 80mm ? The three nuts should hold the blade very firmly.

26/06/2014 04:12:31

This might be an even better parting tool as it has three nuts to secure the blade :

**LINK**

25/06/2014 18:10:51

Yes, I agree. Some sort of table or chart would be an excellent idea. I have bought a few books on how to use a lathe and so far NONE of them have given me this information. The writers always seem to assume that the reader knows how to use a lathe. We don't...that is why we bought their bloody book !

25/06/2014 10:51:25

John : Yes, even the instruction manual recommends not using the rubber feet and instead to use the drilled holes in the lathe to bolt (M6) the lathe to the workbench. I have measured up the holes in the top of the workbench already : 475mm length X 72mm width.

Edited By Brian John on 25/06/2014 10:54:02

Edited By Brian John on 25/06/2014 10:55:01

25/06/2014 09:24:42

UPDATE : the Masters Hardware  version (Amazon) is the same height so no luck there.

Edited By Brian John on 25/06/2014 09:25:09

24/06/2014 22:33:28

If the bench is too low then sit down ! Is there some reason that you have to stand up to use a lathe ?

The most that could be cut off the top is 2 inches. There is a horizontal beam on the ends at that point as you can see in the photos. It is welded on and cannot be moved.

There is need for any backing. This whole system is rock solid and it does not move, wobble or wiggle in any way at all. All other so called ''workbenches'' sold at the hardware stores would move all over the place when nudged with one hand !

The top will be 18mm, 7 layer plywood which will also be screwed to 19mm pine boards to increase stiffness and strength ie. a total of 37mm thickness.

I am hoping to look at the Masters Hardware version today ; perhaps it is lower in height.

24/06/2014 09:50:02

I have measured the diagonals and they are equal in all respects. I have called Bunnings and they said to bring it all back in and they will have a look at it and exchange it if necessary. I may do that on Friday.

Thread: Which is the best parting tool ?
24/06/2014 09:43:43

I should have mentioned that I have a Sieg C2 lathe which takes 5/16'' or 8mm cutting tools.

24/06/2014 07:00:38

There are a few different parting tools available on ebay and I would like some opinions as to which is the most useful.

The first one is the standard parting tool and is part of a set (fourth from the right) which I will be buying anyway but it does look a bit fragile. The blade types look like they would give a much neater finish.

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

24/06/2014 05:49:34

lower height  (3).jpglower height  (2).jpglower height  (1).jpg

Okay, so here it is with the lowered height : work surface is 98 cm high. The frames are still not quite square which really puzzles me. The only way this could happen is if the side beams were different lengths but they are not. Anyway, that does not affect anything and I do not think the cross beams on the ends of the frames will interfere with the operation of the lathe.

Edited By Brian John on 24/06/2014 06:07:33

23/06/2014 22:26:35

My initial idea was to use a slab of thick plywood across two very strong saw horses which are capable of supporting 400 KG. I thought that this might be too low but I am reconsidering as I could always sit at the lathe in a chair. Nothings says that you have to stand at the lathe.

23/06/2014 09:44:33

I am not cutting anything off ; I did think about it but I fear that it might compromise the structural integrity of the frames. Not being an engineer, I am not keen to find out.

Yes, the bench uprights will protrude above the surface of the workbench if I lower the side frames to the next set of holes. But at this point I do not see any other solution.

Thread: Which drill chuck to use for a Sieg C2 lathe ?
23/06/2014 06:28:26

If it is a problem then why don't the lathe manufacturers build the tail stock to take a tang on the arbor ?

23/06/2014 05:43:25

dscn0003.jpgdscn0002.jpg

dscn0001.jpg

I am a bit worried that this work bench will be too high at 130mm ? Is there some best height for these ? You can see from the photos that the side bars are set in the top holes ; the 18mm plywood is to be screwed onto the pine which is resting on the top in the photo. If I lower the height by moving the side bars down to the next set of holes, will the ends interfere with the operation of the lathe ? I do not think so but I am not sure.

Edited By Brian John on 23/06/2014 06:12:55

Thread: Which drill chuck to use for a Sieg C2 lathe ?
22/06/2014 04:44:29

What is the tang used for ? I thought it was to stop the arbor from turning but, as has been pointed out above, the friction of the taper does that.

Are all arbors threaded in the end to take a tang ? Is there one common thread for this ?

Edited By Brian John on 22/06/2014 04:45:28

22/06/2014 04:40:56

Wow, that must be for a big lathe ! 

What is it ? Even at that thickness, it still bends.

Edited By Brian John on 22/06/2014 04:42:53

21/06/2014 18:26:23

It is a lot easier to cut and fit timber ; you can ask the hardware store to cut it to size. It is not so easy to buy and cut metal.

Edited By Brian John on 21/06/2014 18:26:57

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest