By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian John

Here is a list of all the postings Brian John has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Has anybody built Beng's Danni Steam engine.
29/07/2017 10:08:06

Trying to fit the vertical mill slide. I removed the top slide from my lathe. It looks like the supplied steel bush fits in the hole on the mill slide then using a washer and a M6 X 44mm socket cap it will be screwed onto the cross slide. Unfortunately I do not have an M6 x 44mm socket cap or an M6 X44mm bolt of any type so things will have to wait until I source that.

Am I on the right track here ?

Sorry : I should have taken a photo showing the hole in the mill slide which takes the bush.

mill slide 1.jpg

mill slide 2.jpg

Edited By Brian John on 29/07/2017 10:09:33

Edited By Brian John on 29/07/2017 10:10:39

28/07/2017 17:48:39

The vertical mill slide arrived today and I have been watching some youtube videos on milling in the lathe. Some people seem to think that holding the milling bit directly in the lathe chuck is a bad idea and it should be held in a collet to avoid damaging the chuck. Is this correct ? What type of collet should be used ?

Thread: Soldering/brazing a boiler.
28/07/2017 12:54:15

No, it does not come in any packing : I can give no details or description. I was told over the phone that it was 45% silver.

What should I be asking for ?

Edited By Brian John on 28/07/2017 12:57:13

28/07/2017 11:10:21

My old solder supplier (Miniature Steam) is no longer selling solder or bar stock. But he has assured me another supplier has the same solder (with cadmium to aid the flow ) so I purchased about $80 worth from him. I tried it for the first time today and it did not go well : I had to heat the copper up much more than usual and even then it did not flow very well. It seems very similar to the plumbers silver solder I tried a few months ago which had no cadmium at all. I did not end up with a nice shiny fillet of solder. It will probably do the job but it looks very unprofessional....''rough as guts'' is how I would describe it.

1. I am using LPG gas and this has worked for me in the past with the old solder. Should I be using a hotter gas ?

2. What colour should the copper be when the flux melts and it is time to apply the solder ?

3. Some people soft solder their boilers. What temperature of soft solder would be safe enough to use in a tiddler boiler ? I do have some 240 degree soft solder but I would think it would have to be higher than that.

25/07/2017 05:10:40

Thanks Peter, I was not aware that Allied Bearings sold that. I called them just now and they have some 1/2'' gunmetal bronze in stock which seems to be the smallest available. He said they do not keep brass and but they can get it in on special order. Is that what you ask them to do ?

25/07/2017 04:44:53

Another holdup : I have spent the last two weeks moving house (wife's idea) and cleaning the old apartment to vacate standards. The new workshop has much more room than the old living room ; lots of cupboards and storage space.

The drill press seems a bit wobbly for some reason and that will have to be looked at. The lathe bench is firm and stable. I have spent the morning rereading this thread and working out where I am at. I don't even remember making some of these parts !

For Australian residents : Now that Miniature Steam are no longer selling bar stock, who are you buying your brass and gunmetal bronze from ? What is the smallest diameter gunmetal bronze that you can readily buy ?

workshop 1.jpg

workshop 2.jpg

Edited By Brian John on 25/07/2017 04:47:36

Edited By Brian John on 25/07/2017 04:50:50

Thread: Best quality M2 taps
17/07/2017 05:53:49

Are spiral fluted M2 taps likely to be any stronger than straight fluted M2 taps ? There can't be much difference.

Why do we make straight fluted taps if spiral taps clear the chip better ?

Edited By Brian John on 17/07/2017 05:56:27

16/07/2017 14:01:17

The charts I have used in the past give the tap drill as 1.6mm. That PDF gives the tap drill for 2 x 0.4 as 1.7mm. So should I still be ''going up a size'' to 1.8mm when tapping into steel or use 1.7mm for all metals including brass ?

Edited By Brian John on 16/07/2017 14:02:34

16/07/2017 09:43:24

Yes, I always go up to 1.7mm when tapping into steels.

16/07/2017 02:08:16

What brands of M2 taps do members use ? I never have any trouble with M3 or larger taps but I have had a few M2 taps break. Brass and cast iron are usually okay but steels often cause problems. I use plenty of Tap Magic and I go very slowly, about 1/8 turn at a time....back and forward.....but I still sometimes get a broken tap.

Thread: Does anybody know about VEVOR lathes ?
12/07/2017 03:32:55

Pero : My current lathe was not cheap at all and I did buy from a respected seller of machine tools...and I still had problems ! It was not purchased from ebay. Many of the problems were exacerbated by that fact that I live in Cairns which is far from the supplier. Had I lived in a capital city like Brisbane than I could have just put it in the back seat of my car and taken it back. They probably would have given me a new one once they realised the extent of the problem.

Edited By Brian John on 12/07/2017 03:34:54

Thread: A true 'beginners' lathework book?
12/07/2017 01:56:55

The Model Engineer magazine must have many articles aimed at beginners. Could not these be gathered together into a book or a special issue magazine ?

12/07/2017 01:46:04

I buy what I can afford. Actually, there was nothing cheap about my lathe. It cost  as much, if not more, than a C3. The reason I bought it was because it was small and I only live in a small unit. It is mounted in my living room.

Criticism of the Vevor lathe duly noted and I will pass on it....thank you.  I had never seen it before so I thought it was worth asking about.

My current lathe has a carriage lock so I assumed that it was a standard fitting on all lathes. I find it essential for parting off.

Edited By Brian John on 12/07/2017 02:09:34

11/07/2017 10:44:53

Geoff : any chance of a photo of the T nuts you made ? How much thread have you put on them ?

10/07/2017 01:11:02

All points duly noted. Where is the carriage lock on these lathes ?

09/07/2017 14:44:14

Does anybody recognise these VEVOR lathes ? They seem to be all over ebay in Australia but I am not sure if you have them in the UK. I know they are made in China but have the lathes been around long enough for people to form an opinion of their capabilities ?

**LINK**

**LINK**

22/06/2017 13:24:30

I doubt that I will get anywhere with the fly cutter ; I cannot get the shape correct.

Lawrie : yes, a larger diameter milling bit does make sense. A 12mm bit should do it in three passes.

22/06/2017 10:09:51

The vertical mill slide for the Optimum lathe is back in stock at machinery house. What diameter end mill bit would be suitable for machining the side of this cylinder ? I was thinking of the 6mm bit. I have not done any milling at all so I do not have a clue.

**LINK**

**LINK**

cylinder 1.jpg

Edited By Brian John on 22/06/2017 10:10:48

24/10/2016 18:20:29

Getting the shape right.

Anyway, here is what the base of the mill slide looks like. The L276 from Machinery House only has one hole in the middle of the base whereas this tool has two holes. Other than that it looks identical and It should be okay to fit to my lathe somehow.

mill slide base.jpg

Edited By Brian John on 24/10/2016 18:21:57

Edited By Brian John on 24/10/2016 18:22:48

24/10/2016 11:47:44

I am having no luck with the fly cutter so I will revisit the idea of a vertical mill slide. This slide from India is the same size as the correct slide from Machinery House. I am not sure how it fits yet but I am sure something can be done to make it fit my lathe.

**LINK**

**LINK**

What would be a good size milling attachment to use in the lathe chuck for this job ?

Edited By Brian John on 24/10/2016 11:48:10

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest