By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neal Swarbrick

Here is a list of all the postings Neal Swarbrick has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
02/05/2014 12:41:44

Today I cut my first Thread on the Myford MF74. A 3/8 x 20TPI thread to adapt a 7/16 tool-post stud to a replacement (original, mind) top-slide that I scored from THAT auction site . . . .

I did this without the aid of a TDI cos there ain't one. Luckily I found this vid' on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNajMA4I20A

and I was away. If'n I'm honest with myself the thread was a little rough and a tad under-size but it works for all that.

In the process I learnt several things:

1) Need a protractor to help set up the correct tool-post angle for screw-cutting.
2) Cross-slide backlash is still in need of adjustment - either a new feed-screw or bush or both - the thrust-washer thing hasn't worked like it did with the top-slide.
3) Different types of change-wheel configuration can change the orientation of the reverse tumbler . . . That was a surprise!!!!!!!
4) Need some general metal stock to further practice the screw-cutting.
5) Need chalk.

That, people, is what I did today.

Thank you smile d

Thread: Tensile Strength - Brass or Bronze?
22/04/2014 19:46:30

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated

The steel core with the brass 'wrap-around' might be an answer, tbh. I could take the original peg, machine it to size then wallop! Nice idea Chris.

I wasn't sure whether it would be tensile or shear actually. It's good to know there are people here that do know what they're talking about. But John S is prolly right about it only being there to be polished if I know my friend. It's his pride, joy, girl-friend, the lot!

Price wise, if I can get him to accept round bar, the College Engineering Supply looks best value at a smidgin under £40 for one piece of 2" x 7" round. Hex-wise they only go up to 1" but you can get 2' of that for the same price . . . .

22/04/2014 11:27:26

Hi all,

I am just finishing up my Myford MF74 Lathe and am in the process of tooling up. Am going to use the RDG 8-piece 6mm HSS tool set to start with. But that's by-the-by.

I already have a friend asking if I can make summat for him.

What he wants are two pillion-rider foot-pegs for his Harley. He wants them in hexagonal Brass but I'm wondering whether that material would be up to the job? Even if I can find hex brass in, probably, 2" cross-section.

Would Bronze be a better bet? I'm aware that in certain conditions brass can lose it's tensile strength due to electrolytic corrosion . . .

Advice please . . .

Neal

Thread: Myford MF74
30/03/2014 20:52:41

Hi N,

Yeah, I've seen that site, thanks

Have spent a good month looking over lathes on-line - very limited finances prevailing - and that site has proved invaluable. It was partly down to that write-up that I opted to buy the machine.

Neal.

30/03/2014 20:10:01

Hi Mr Mod'
Please move this thread to the correct "topic" area if I have posted it wrongly.

Hi all,

Have just joined MEW for fun times and friendship, maybe more blush

I have just bought a Myford MF74 4" Precision Lathe with splash-back/drip-tray, steel stand, all change-wheels and sundry effects from our favourite auction site for a VERY reasonable price.

It seems to have been doing the rounds for a few years but looks fairly good nonetheless . . . I'll be picking it next Sunday so I'll be biting me nails 'til then . . .

Anyway, questions:

1) Without naming names, is anyone aware of this machine and it's history? Have I bought a dog? Or is it truly a bit of a bargain with good prospects?

2) Does anyone know of an extant manual for it? Original or good quality copy or even an on-line doc/pdf.

3) It seems that it has the 'short' (as opposed to Very Short) cross-slide.
Is there a major difference in dove-tail/feed-screw dimensions between that and an ML7 cross-slide? That being a lot larger/longer with lateral rather than longitudinal T-slots.
Are the dove-tails compatible or will some machining be required?
If the ML7 dove-tail is bigger can I get away with bulkier gib strips?
I have also seen vague references to mod's to the cross-feed allowing for further "reach" - Can you point me to a good posting about it, please.

4) The first job, however, is, of course, the obligatory strip-down, clean, re-paint, re-lube and assembly.
Do you have any Must Do's and Do Not's for me?
Am not a complete novice but it's been a good few years since I had hands on a lathe and this is certainly my first time on a Myford, and an old one at that.

I am sure I will come up with more questions as time goes by but these few will do for now.

Thanks in advance,

Neal xXx

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest