By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Brown 1

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Brown 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
19/07/2019 22:13:35

I took it upon my self to do night classes in metal work while still at school and that has proved a wise decision. Also in the days before calculators we had to learn how to use a slide rule and don't think I've even since leaving education.

Thread: Electric Cars
11/07/2019 13:56:42

Yet to see an Estate EV so not going to even consider one till they make estates (two cockers).

What is going to happen with all the billions of pounds lost in fuel revenue, up the road tax to £1000 plus per year. Never mind the strain on the electricity infrastructure.

Thread: Snail Problems
30/06/2019 08:20:28
Posted by V8Eng on 29/06/2019 23:37:57:

Do not let your dogs eat slugs or snails because they may get Lungworm (look it up) which can be very dangerous!!!!

Edited By V8Eng on 29/06/2019 23:44:32

This is something we are fully aware of and that is why the worming is carried out monthly, vet prescribed worming tablets which cover lung worm.

Edited By Bob Brown 1 on 30/06/2019 08:21:39

29/06/2019 22:13:37

Get a working cocker spaniel ours takes great delight in making snails homeless.

Thread: Mill X axis
19/06/2019 16:03:41

Mine is home made with a BLDC geared motor and controller purchased cheaply.

4.jpg

Edited By Bob Brown 1 on 19/06/2019 16:05:03

Thread: Electricity Supply
14/06/2019 17:00:56

Just shrink the population as it is out of control population growth

14/06/2019 16:03:40

A solar energy calculator **LINK**

13/06/2019 18:44:17

There are issues with retrofit cavity insulation like damp as moisture is transmitted between outer leaf and inner as we found out (1965 bungalow) on a wall that faces the prevailing weather. That cavity insulation was removed as I can live with slight increase in heating bill but not damp. Probably compensated for that loss of insulation when I had the garage/workshop built on the end as the whole roof was insulated at rafter level with 120mm of Kingspan/Celotex between and over rafters.

11/06/2019 22:53:45
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/06/2019 22:42:04:

Be happy [at least if you live where the sun shines] : **LINK**

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-48530488/the-solar-power-charged-electric-cars-making-money

MichaelG.

May work on a tiny island (12 x 6 miles) with very few roads but lets get real out side of a small island it isn't going work.

11/06/2019 10:24:18
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 11/06/2019 09:30:50:

David's missed that chargers can be smart and able to communicate. Chargers needn't be dumb devices that ignorantly pull power without permission and blow fuses.

Rather simple to implement the following:

• User connects car to charger.
  • Charger texts local substation; can I have 32A?
  • Substation replies 'Yes', but the answer might be qualified: take a controlled amount between zero and 32A until I tell you different. (The substation controls the load, not car owners.)
  • Substations can be connected in the same way, asking permission before allowing power to be drawn from the network and able to respond to 'reduce load' commands.

The same system can be used to control customer behaviour by communicating tariff changes. The consumer could plug his car in and select 'Pay top rate for guaranteed high-speed charging', or 'Only charge when electricity is cheap', ie when the network is lightly loaded.

Also quite easy for the charger to bill to whoever owns the car, not necessarily the householder, so that any car can be plugged into any charger.

The technology needed to do all this is straightforward. Compared with the complexity of the Internet it's a doddle.

Of course there will be changes to the network as well, but pylons, digging trenches, laying wires, installing meters and switchgear etc is hardly rocket-science.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 11/06/2019 09:31:32

It is so easy to say we need this that or the other but who pays for all these changes …………...the consumer one way or the other.

09/06/2019 10:58:20
Posted by pgk pgk on 09/06/2019 10:26:48:

The greatest EV uptake in europe is in Norway... not a member of the EU. Globally the largest amount of EV's are US and soon China. That's not to detract from the EU intentions to move to EV but they aren't leading yet. And you donlt have to be in the EU to make the move to EV. Norways success has been down to the level of subsidy and (I think) free recharging en route. The limiting factor for EV production is battery manufacture and what technology method is used.

Norway is not a good example as most of their power generation is hydro and the cars there are imported, also they had massive incentives to change to EV no doubt funded by fossil fuel. The UK would be in a similar position as we have no large scale battery manufactures or EV car manufacturers.

08/06/2019 23:08:36

Then into that mix is the revenue the government will lose over time as EV's become more relevant currently £28 bn per year. Do they add a duty to electric supply? Road tax? tolls?

Thread: New Workshop
14/09/2018 21:55:59

I took the view when I was creating my garage/workshop (4.5m x 7m) that I would build it to current house standards e.g. cavity walls with insulation and roof with 120 mm of Celotex insulation. Double glazed window and door with insulated electric roller shutter. It has been cool in the summer and warm in the winter with no issues with rust as it is like keeping stuff in the house. Made sure the electrics were over kill in terms as current 16mm feed to fuse board even if to date only a small % of the capacity has been used. dscf0442.jpg

Thread: What depth concrete base for a workshop extension?
17/07/2018 11:01:02

Do not forget there are different grades of concrete and you can specify a fibre reinforcement if using ready mix.

Thread: Wind turbines get bigger and bigger
06/04/2018 12:34:38

You only have to look to France to see a country that has invested heavily in Nuclear with over 75% generated http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/

Edited By Bob Brown 1 on 06/04/2018 12:35:30

Thread: Battery Lifespan
03/04/2018 20:02:05

You can get solar powered watches which use solar power to keep the battery charged.

**LINK**

Thread: Wind turbines get bigger and bigger
03/04/2018 19:48:53

Vestas turbine blade leaving Cowesimg_0049.jpg

Edited By Bob Brown 1 on 03/04/2018 19:49:58

Thread: Recommended Shed suppliers
26/01/2018 17:14:51

Here's an option, **LINK** only built one of their log summer houses but that was straight forward. The fact this one comes insulated should make it easy to heat in the winter and cool in the summer only draw back could be cost.

Bob

Thread: The true cost of Diesel?
09/11/2017 20:46:27
Posted by Phil Whitley on 09/11/2017 19:13:40:

One of the main problems is that renewable energy is shut down in order that nuclear gets paid for every watt it can generate. If it were the other way round, and we used every available watt from renewables, and then topped up with nuclear, nuclear would cease to be financially viable. Demand is falling, that is why Hinkley point is shuddering to a halt, because by the time it is completed, it may not be viable, even at the three times the cost of todays energy that has been accepted by the government.

In the UK gas powered generation is varied with load/demand with nuclear just providing the base load and renewables supplying as and when as they are reliant on variables like wind or sun. Gas is relatively quick to bring on line as the demand requires hence the reason to use it that way, Until we get to a point that there is large capacity storage then I can not see things changing much.

08/11/2017 23:24:20

There are 4 x 1.5Mw tidal turbines in the north of Scotland with plans to go much bigger see **LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest