By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Rodgerson

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Rodgerson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WARCO WM-250 lathe family and WM16 mill
20/03/2017 19:21:35

I used to get backache when I was working on my BH 600 because it was bit low for me. When I bought my CNC mill I put both my BH600 manual mill (Superlux) onto moveable trolleys with lockable wheels, they were made from 4" channel and the castors were a further 4 inches tall so I increased their height considerably.

As a result I no longer get backache when working at the lathe or the mill but I do get a lot more hot chips down my shirt from the lathe than ever before and I find it difficult to look over the top of the tool post.

Thread: Has the quality of HSS changed over the years?
10/03/2017 09:56:55

When I bought a new Myford lathe in 1980 I bought with it a set of Eclipse HSS lathe tools. These tools were of excellent quality and worked really well, I still occasionally use the few that haven't been ground down to nothing over the years. They held their edge for a long time between sharpening.

Similarly the Eclipse HSS tool blanks used to grind up into all sorts of tools had similar good wear properties. Step forward to today and I find that any of the pre formed HSS lathe tools are of very poor quality and do not hold their edge for long. As for the HSS blanks, they seem only useful as makeshift parallels.

I have just finished a job that involved countersinking 900 holes in plain Carbon Steel. Because of the nature of the job I thought it best to order a couple of good quality Countersinks, they lasted for no more than about a dozen holes each. In desperation I resorted to using an old Dormer twist drill carefully shortened and ground with a 90 degree point, this lasted for all the remaining 800 and odd holes without the need for a resharpen. I guarantee that if I had tried to use one of my fancy coated drills it would likely have either shattered or worn out in record time.

Drills are, in my opinion even worse than the lathe tools, I have one set that just wilt when I try to drill anything other than the softest material, favourite method of failure is for the tips of the flanks to break and the drill body diameter wears to a reduced diameter for the depth of the hole, rendering the drill useless for any further work.

Am I the only person who seems to be finding this to be the case

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
04/03/2017 18:00:04

Hi Windy,

I couldn't believe the method advocated by motorcycle manufacturers in the twenties of aligning the crankshaft journals and crank pin by beating them with a lead hammer and squeezing the flywheels. However with tapered end crankpins itv works well and it's surprising how rough you have to get. I've done a few.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
23/02/2017 11:03:03

Today I finally got one of the batch of Wire Wheel Hubs I am drilling for somebody done after recovering from a nasty CNC crash. This was caused by me making a Freudian slip when I entered a Z value in my g-code as 48 instead of 84. I could see that the spindle was going to hit the work if I didn't stop it but I had the camera ready to take a picture and by the time I put it down it was too late.

The spindle contacted the work, snapped the drill, rotated the threaded hub anti clockwise and while it was doing this it pushed the adjustable angle plate out of alignment and ground the ER collet nut up a bit. The hub seized on the thread and took a lot of effort to get it off the faceplate fixture. I had to take the fixture off the rotary table, put it in the lathe 4 jaw chuck, fit the three jaw chuck on the small diameter and using metal bars and a 3foot long cheater bar on the end of one of them work the hub free. Much to my amazement there was relatively little damage to the threads on the fixture or the job and I was able to dress this with the Dremel. The outer diameter of the hub was badly marked and I had to re-machine this to get rid of the damage but I don't think this is critical so all in all a good recovery.

The job is not as straight forward as it looks because the spokes are drilled at an angle through the small end so the two rows of holes at that end are drilled separately with the angle plate set at 14 degrees then 13 degrees respectively. They are also drilled with an offset from the centre line. Getting the angles sorted out and drawing the hub was the biggest part of the job. I still have to countersink the holes which I will do as a separate programme but at least the main bit works.dsc_4078.jpg

dsc_4088.jpg

dsc_4094.jpg

dsc_4093.jpg

dsc_4092.jpg

Edited By Bob Rodgerson on 23/02/2017 11:05:36

Edited By Bob Rodgerson on 23/02/2017 11:14:50

19/02/2017 18:17:11

I have just got home from the MMEX exhibition in Oldham I have to say that in terms of venue size and the number of people attending , the organisers seem to have got it spot on.

For once at an exhibition you were able to browse the trade stands for bits and pieces without having to jostle for position or getting a swipe from a back pack carrier.Similarly you there was plenty of opportunity to take in all the models on display. There was a good variety of locomotives on display but other areas were under represented but I am sure this will be improved upon next time.

Thread: Manchester Model Eng. Exhibition.
18/02/2017 18:57:34

Hi,

I was there and I thought it a better venue than last year. Parking was a bit better than last year too. The club exhibits are very good with an emphasis on locomotives. There was also a reasonable spread of Trade stands which I took advantage of to buy some materials and equipment.

I think it is worth going to but I might be a bit biased, having a model on display.

17/02/2017 19:28:52

Today I took my 200 cc flat twin engine to the MMEX to set it up as one of the exhibits that are on the stage as a "Feature" model. I will be back there again tomorrow morning and again on Sunday along with members of the Stockport Society of Model Engineers.

Though in general good shape, years of storage in an overcrowded workshop has resulted in some nasty dents in the inlet manifold for which I apologise, in fact it is the one area that needs attention. The tight bends in the brass tubing are wrinkled and slightly flattened, probably converting it to twin carburettors would improve the look and stop icing of the manifold, to which it is prone.

Obviously I can't run the engine indoors so the next best thing is if you want to see it run is this video I made of it running about 6 months ago.

Edited By Bob Rodgerson on 17/02/2017 19:29:32

Edited By Bob Rodgerson on 17/02/2017 19:31:35

Thread: Cheap chucks from ebay.
15/02/2017 11:05:09

Caveat Emptor. If you look at my youtube videos you can see just how appealing some of these things can be. The chuck in question was bought new at the thousand engine rally in Cheshire and is a shining example of poor quality control.

Just search Bob Rodgerson

Thread: Workshops
15/02/2017 11:02:01

Mine is more or less a purpose built garage/workshop based on a tandem double garage 13Ft wideX 30 ft long.

It houses, in three sections separated by curtain doors.

Section 1 : Workbench,Bench Grinder, brazing, welding equipment and electric heat treatment furnace

Section 2: Tormach CNC Mill, Myford Cylindrical grinding machine, Warco BH600 lathe, Warco Mill , Tool and cutter grinder, end mill grinder,Bench Drill and another bench for light assembly work.

Section 3: Motorcycles, BSA A-10 650 RGS Lookalike, Humber 350 OHV, Humber 350 Side Valve, and 500 Thruxtonised Velocette Venom as well as in the roof space loads of Humber frames engines and different project bikes.

The bike section is about 9 ft long and I can store four or five bikes 2 on top of the purpose made storage lift and one or two underneath plus one parked against the wall to allow access to the other sections of the workshop.

Regardless, no matter what I do it always looks a mess but that is because there is so much stuff in there but I'm like John Rudd, I know where most things are. (It's in here somewhere!)

Thread: Reaming cast iron
14/02/2017 16:07:37

No Lubrication required. I think if you did use oil it would make a right mess to clean off the reamer.

12/02/2017 12:56:25

Muzzer,

you should have gone for Granite, would have made a nice layout table.

Thread: Quality digital vernier calipers
12/02/2017 12:54:38

I vote for Mitutoyu, mine has been going strong for years. I have found cheaper ones don't last the distance and use batteries much quicker.

Thread: Hello from NE Scotland
12/02/2017 12:51:43

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. I worked on all of the Forties platforms as a driller Night Toolpusher and Toolpusher/Drilling Supervisor so you might well have bumped into me at some time in the past I was there from 1980-3 and worked for BP until 1990 when I went to work for myself as a consultant.

Names that you might remember are Mike Diamond, He was a Tiffy Eex Sea Conquest, Ian Carter, Old Toolpusher. Alan Miller BP Toolpusher.

Thread: Why is the lift so small on water pump ball valves?
06/02/2017 14:18:26

If you have too much lift the ball has further to drop or be forced back down onto the seat. As to free flow I think if you calculated the flow area between the ball and the valve body above the seat of the clearance in most designs you will find it equal to or greater than the cross sectional area of the tubing internal diameter that feeds the valve.

Thread: Lidll
04/02/2017 12:34:01

Danny M2Z,

look up typical truck tyre pressures and you might find something like this.

According to the tire placard, at maximum load, the tire pressure should be 50 psi in the front and 60 psi in the back. When you locate that tire at those pressures on the load inflation chart, the rated loads are 2,205 lbs. and 2,469 lbs.

I believe pressures up to 100 PSI are used in some cases.

When I was working in Russia (where vehicle maintenance is poor) I was crossing the road at a junction along with a few other passers by when an articulated lorry came around the corner just as we stepped onto the pavement. One of the tyres on the trailer clipped the Kerb and the tyre exploded with a massive bang. The resultant release of air blew off part of the truck mud flap which hit a young girl that was next to me in the face. The slap it gave her was pretty violent to the extent that it drew bold and almost knocked he senseless. I have also heard of people being injure on busses when tries have blown out and tyre debris has ripped open the wheel well.

Thread: Fireproof Overalls
04/02/2017 12:14:20

I worked in the Oil Industry most of my life and The overalsl used there remade from Fireproofed cotton. Synthetic materials are not approved because the plastics used in them can melt and make any burns much worse than they would be from smouldering cotton. Thick cotton does not easily burst into flames, it will smoulder though.

The fireproofing they use has the most disgusting smell and you can always tell when somebody has a new pair on. The smell usually disappears after a few washes, presumably the fireproofing remains for a bit longer. I believe they make this retardant from some nasty chemicals such as Bromides but can't be sure if that's what causes the smell.

Thread: Alexander 2CG Tool Grinder Questions
02/02/2017 23:20:47

It looks to me as though the green painted attachment is from a Vertex clone. I have one myself, and the attachment is the end mill sharpening fixture. the flat ended rod is a guide for the end mill flutes.

Thread: Olympic Class liners - building the engines
30/01/2017 23:57:09

When I worked at The Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Company on Tyneside they still had some pretty old lathes that were used to machine very large diameters such as the steam turbine rotors for the Mauritania. These were I believe about 15 ft in diameter, the reason for them being this large was that they were direct acting and didn't use a reduction gearbox .

These large lathes had seats on the tool posts for the operator to sit in.

29/01/2017 23:20:39

Today I did a spot of engraving on the Tormach. Turned out OK;

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
13/01/2017 21:57:15

Tonight I got round to assembling the crank case, crankshaft and cylinder assembly complete with pistons to check for tight spots.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest