By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Rodgerson

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Rodgerson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
16/10/2017 13:54:30

It's actually swept up from the Atlantic just by the Azores which are more or less south of us. The wind is circulating in an anti clockwise direction around the depression thus sweeping across large areas of the western Sahara and picking up dust from there.

13/10/2017 16:12:46

Landlocked should read "and looked" Bloody predictive text, I hate it.

13/10/2017 16:10:59

Today I returned home from a three day stay in my local hospital during which I had a three hour procedure to have my abdominal wall rebuilt to cure a massive hernia that occurred following surgery to remove my Gal bladder way back in 1986 pre-Keyhole surgery days.

I can't say it was a pleasant experience, especially since the Morphine pain relief made me feel so sick that I decided not to use it and had to bear a couple of days of agony, however The local hospital (Stepping Hill, Stockport) made the whole thing much better than I thought it would be.

The consultant, ( a Polish surgeon) and the nursing staff were absolutely marvellous landlocked after me well. The small ward I was on had only 4 beds so it was relatively quiet and even the food was good.

How can you fault the NHS.

Workshop activities are off for the next couple of weeks but I have got some CNC video stuff to upload onto You Tube that should keep me occupied.

Thread: Hi all
07/10/2017 17:33:29

BobHi Kieth & welcome to the forum.

Motorcycles, Model Engineering and machine tools are the perfect mix I've got three roadworthy motorcycles at the moment, a 1927 Humber 350 Side Valve, a 1929 Humber 350 OHV Humber and a 650 cc BSA RGS lookalike. The lathe will come in handy for making parts for your bikes, next thing to buy will be a milling machine.

24/09/2017 18:19:03

Hi Murray,

I thought I was the only one who did that sort of thing. It is so easy to make a mistake like that with CNC machining, especially when you are using an ATC and haven't checked that the tool numbers in the program match those in the tool carousel, or you forgot to change drill lengths when using a different size drill.

It's amazing how far a 6mm carbide end mill can penetrate steel on fast down feed and with the spindle doing 5000 RPM. I caught one crash on video and I was truly impressed by the red heat generated when the end mill sank into the work piece.

Trouble with most crashes are that you never reach the stop button in time.

Thread: English dialect
22/09/2017 16:25:29

In the North East splinters, be they metal or wooden ones were known Spelks. Is this used in other parts of the UK?

Thread: Broken tap in expensive unit!
13/09/2017 17:18:22

A Carbide drill will drill out the tap but it will be difficult to keep it on centre, especially with the surrounding material being brass. Welding onto the tap may melt the brass too. Acid may de-zincify the brass and leave it in a mess, not sure what Alum will do to brass, probably turn it a lovely shade of green.

Spark erosion might be the way to go but not sure if the article has to be submerged in fluid whilst the tap is being eroded.

09/09/2017 23:46:37

I got round to fitting the Rapid Turn attachment to the milling table and set up my home made Gang tooling for it.

I am pleased that so rigid but unfortunately the front plate is to far outboard of the spindle axis to allow use of the QCTP from the Lathe as I run out of Y his travel. However I will probably be able to set the lathe off centre on the mill table sufficient to permit it's use. I suppose that will teach me to double check everything and measure up properly.

Here are some pictures with some as yet unfinished tool hangers attached.

dsc_4322.jpg

dsc_4323.jpg

It is difficult to get a decent picture but at the foot of the tool hanger on the bottom left is a profile tool in the middle a boring tool and on the right a parting tool.

There is more work to do on the hangers to accept parallel shank tooling such as drill chucks and ER 20 collets.

Thread: Newbi
08/09/2017 08:23:39

John, welcome to the hobby. The condition you describe is almost certain to happen whenever you turn a piece of work unless you have backed off the tool at the end of the cut as Chris has explained. You can also keep the setting but continue the cut back until the tool clears the end of the work because there is sure to be some spring in the metal that you are trying to turn.

With experience you will learn how many passes at the same depth of cut are required to take all of the spring out of the work. It also depends on how sharp the cutting tool is and how close to centre height that it is set.

Lots of practice will get you there.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
08/09/2017 00:26:40

I posted some pictures of the progress that I have made with a gang tooling fixture for the Tormach PCNC 1100 Mill on the thread "What Did You Do Today" yesterday These showed the fixture plate without tool holders, today I managed to finish the first one.

Here is a picture of the finished fixture without tool hangers.

dsc_4283.jpg

Here is picture with the first tool hanger fitted and a boring bar mounted on the bottom of it

dsc_4287.jpg

The tool hangers can be turned through 90 degrees to enable turning tools to be mounted.

Here is a picture of the same hanger turned through 90 degrees and with a parting tool holder attached.

dsc_4292.jpg

The tool holders are the small size QCTP type, not sure what number they are but they are clheld in position by tightening up four allen cap head screws that draw a dovetail insert into the dovetails of the holder, the insert is visible just below the counterbored bolt hole in the hanger.

I have two more hangers to make and when they are near finished I will mount the fixture in the mill and use the Rapid Turn Lathe attachment to bore out the hangers to accept the Tormach TTS system tooling. I will post some more pictures and vide once done.

06/09/2017 17:09:25

Hi Joe,

welder is Mig Gas/No Gas. I also forgot to add that the main box section of the attachment also has mortice & tendon type joints the edges of the mortices were given a 45 degree Chamfer to assist the welding process so basically I have no doubt as to the rigidity & strength of the structure.

Regards,

Bob

06/09/2017 11:29:24

Hi Joe,

It is a hefty construction in 20mm plate. The front plate is 6" deep X 7" long and the side plate is ^" deep x 9" long.

The welds are much better than they look on the picture, preparation included grinding at least a 1/4" 45 degree off the edges that were to be welded this was filled with weld which took well using maximum current, what you see is my attempt to build up in the area of the weld. The biggest problem I have with welding is getting the correct setting for my welding helmet, I am either almost blinded by light or it is too dark to see anything.

Regards,

Bob

05/09/2017 23:17:16

The Tormach CNC Lathe attachment (Rapid Turn) is a much better accessory that it's predecessor which was a Mini Lathe adapted and equipped with 4th Axis capability, however it lacked power to do any serious work.The Rapid Turn is equipped with a 1 H.P. motor and is much more capable, however it lacks multiple tooling capability being equipped only with a single small quick change tool post that clamps to the spindle nose thus rendering it necessary to change tools between different operations.

Other people have made Gang tooling to suit so I decided to have a go at making my own. Here are the results so far.

dsc_4284.jpg

The holes that you see on the top plate are to permit long allen screws to be fitted into the bearing retain ring, though six holes are drilled only four are used leaving two permanently in the housing the lower plate is attached to two holes drilled and tapped in the rear of the travelling head. Note my scrambled egg welding.

dsc_4283.jpgThis view shows the side of the gang tooling fixture, the holes are all drilled and tapped M 12 to take allen bolts fitted through the tool holders and allow for the holders to be fitted at various heights nd distances along the Y axis.

dsc_4282.jpg

This view shows the front plate of the fixture, the large tapped hole is there to take the securing bolt from my Quick change Tool post on my BH 600 lathe that I have at least 10 holders.

dsc_4281.jpgThis view shows the two rear holes in the lower plate. A spacer is fitted on top of the machined portion of this plate before the screws are passed through from beneath and screwed into the travelling head.

It's been an interesting project so far. I have started making some tool holders which will be able to take the small size Quick change tools that I bought for the original attachment, these will be height adjustable so I should be able to set them at the same height. They will also be bored to take round shanked tooling such as boring bars and the Tormach modular tooling that have a 3/4" shank dia.

Once I get some of the toolholders finished I will set up the lathe on the mill and take some shots of it and maybe some video of it in action.

Thread: Chinese Electric Cars
14/08/2017 11:27:23

Electric Cars and road vehicles are the future but as many here have said, where is all the power going to come from to charge them all. The government has given the go ahead for new nuclear power generating plant to provide energy for part of our future energy needs at massive cost to the nation.

I Can't help think that the government would be better off providing all households in the UK with solar panels free of charge and investing money into accumulator research so that electricity can be stored in large amounts.

Thread: Key types - any advantages?
10/08/2017 17:43:28

Woodruff cutters are easily made by grinding down an end mill to the correct thickness. I used to use cutters that had maybe chipped a tooth but who,s flanks were still in good condition. They work well.

04/08/2017 16:59:09

Neil,

been there done that got the tee -shirt. I remember sitting in my then, loft model building workshop glueing two wing halves together and trying to get them at the right angle . I kept pouring Cyano onto the joint and heaping Glass balls as a filler to strengthen the joint. It was only when felt the heat very close to the nether regions that I realised that I had a 1/4 scale Flabby monoplane wing joined at the correct dihedral and with a pair of trousers and a human being attached to them.

29/07/2017 15:48:02

As promised the other day. Here is a video of me utilising the Tormach CNC Mill as a slotting machine to cut internal splines in some clutch plates.

26/07/2017 10:22:34

Not Today but yesterday.

I successfully managed to cut some internal splines on a set of clutch plates for a 1920's Alpha Romeo with the Tormach CNC mill using a single point cutting tool. The owner had a set water jet cut but they didn't go anywhere near fitting the splined hub. The hub has 34 teeth, I would imagine that the original plates would have been cut with A broach using a profiled cutter.

The original plates were warped due to overheating and also had radial cracks emanating from a series of 6 radial slots arranged from about half way from the centre to the perimeter of each plate. The plates are 4mm thick at the hub but are reduced from both sides to approximately 1.6mm thick so it is hardly surprising that they warp easily.

The new plates have similar slots but they start from a hole drilled at the root of the slot to prevent cracking in future.

I will post a You tube video once I get time to put together the videos I took while doing the job.

Thread: uPVC door in closed position with broken lock
25/07/2017 07:24:00

Just Make a 999 cal to the policel and tell them you suspect someone has been murdered at your address. Hide in the bathroom before they come.

Thread: Os Gemini twin glow engine - conrod req'd - no longer made
21/07/2017 21:58:53

Mick/Dean,

I know that the big end is a nice fit on the polished shank of a 12mm Carbide cutter. Not sure about the rest though.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Meridenne Boat 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest