By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Rodgerson

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Rodgerson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Barely can spell 'lathe', looking to get into the hobby
12/11/2017 18:15:26

Hi Tom, I believe there is a series aimed at beginners in the hobby. I've no doubt that Neil will be along soon and advise on it. The nice thing about model I.C. engines is that you can make some quite sizeable engines in terms of CC,s using relatively small machine tools. I managed to make a 200cc flat twin using a Myford 3 1/2" and a very basic round column mill.

Thread: Heavy item for use in fidget spinner.
11/11/2017 11:57:20

Depleted Uranium.

Thread: Rotary table problem.
09/11/2017 16:12:58

Not sure if the Centec is a horizontal mill with a vertical head attachment but if it is mount the drill chuck in an arbour and mount the rotary table in the vertical position.

Thread: What have I done wrong??
28/10/2017 12:18:16

I tend to agree with Andrew, hand reaming without a guide is prone to problems. I always try to use a centre held in the tailstock to hold it true while holding the reamer with an adjustable spanner or tap wrench if it will fit on the flats on the end of the reamer while advancing the tailstock. It's a bit od a juggling act but it gets results.

However for really Concentrically accurate work nothing beats working with a go nogo gauge or a pre-prepared mandrel of the desired size and boring to suit.

Thread: How do I check the capacitors on my Warco Mill?
25/10/2017 18:30:56

Hi Brian,

I so far have been unable to trace a circuit diagram or instruction manual. First thing that comes to mind is to do some basic checking such as the plug and the control box to check for wires that may have become loosened be causing a short, beyond that I really don't know where to look.

I am fortunate that I have the CNC mill and it is easy to use, it's just nice to have a manual mill as a back up or spare in case I need to keep something on the CNC mill table.

24/10/2017 07:47:58

Hi Les, I have looked for the manual for the mill but can't find it I'm pretty sure it has a wiring diagram wit it. The fuse blew as soon as I switched on the power and before I actually tried to start the spindle motor. I will see if I can find it.

23/10/2017 21:14:10

Well That didn't work. As soon as I switched on the power the fuse blew yet again

23/10/2017 18:51:16

Hi John,

thanks for the input. it sets somewhere on the motor J.B. that it is a Capacitor start run motor. Judging from the way the two capacitors share one of the wires from the motor would suggest that they are connected in Parallel.

The replacement capacitor looks to be of high quality so hopefully it will work when I replace it .

BOB

23/10/2017 17:03:37

Hi Dave,

thanks for responding. I thought that might be the case but wasn't altogether certain, however before I get out the soldering Iron I will wait and see what the general consensus is. If I don't get any further responses I will do the deed anyway and I will find out one way or the other.

23/10/2017 15:55:33

£250 for a fuse! read £2.50

23/10/2017 15:54:11

OK All, I bought two replacement capacitors the same rating as those fitted to my mill. I decided this afternoon to get the steps out and replace them. I climbed up and pulled both capacitors out of their housing to check the wiring and found that the 20 microfarad capacitor looks as though it could be the culprit for blowing fuses when attempting to start the mill. I noticed that the cap where the wires exit from it appeared to be not fully seated and there looked to be a pice missing around its edge. When I pulled at it a little the cap came away from the rest of the canister and it looks as though some of the contents may have melted and re-set at some time.

Now, before I go and risk another £250 worth of fuse I need to know how to wire in the new capacitor.

At present both capacitors have a singular wiring colour i.e. Black. but the new 20 Microfarad one has a Blue wire and a black one and the new150 microfarad one comes with a black wire and a Yellow wire.

Does it matter which wire goes where?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently it appears that the two capacitors have a common wire from the motor that they join to and this is coloured yellow so do I assume that the yellow wire on the 150uf joins the yellow wire from the motor? and which wire from the 20uf capacitor joins this common, blue or brown?

Thread: John Stevenson
23/10/2017 09:36:09

My condolences to Johns family and to Debbs , who he spoke so much of.

Thread: recent joiner, but old engineer
22/10/2017 10:22:54

Hi Edd, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get lots of info to any questions you may have regarding Model Engineering here.

My Step Fathers younger brother worked for a long time with Reyroles in their training school. His name was Ted Crow. I worked at the Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Company in Wallsend and before leaving Engineering for the oil industry I worked at the fitting out department at Swan Hunters until around 1974.

While serving my apprenticeship there we attended the Wallsend Tech College/SENTEC for day release and night classes. It was here that one of our lecturers Ken Swan introduced me to Model Engineering when he bought his prototype "Bridget" in and showed us it running.

I now live in Manchester but still return to the North East regularly.

Thread: John Stevenson
19/10/2017 22:50:17

I wondered why it was a bit quiet on the JS front. I really like seeing some of your practical engineering solutions that you use on some of the repair work you undertook. I miss your stark and outspoken replies to some of the forum users, they definitely made me chuckle. Stick with it John I'm sure we'll be seeing some more posts soon.

Thread: How do I check the capacitors on my Warco Mill?
19/10/2017 14:35:35

ok I've just had the cover off the Motor JB and there are two capacitors housed in it, presumably one is a start and the other a run capacitor. Am I right in assuming the higher impedance capacitor is the start capacitor?

19/10/2017 13:07:43

I think I will price up a new capacitor and see if replacement works.

19/10/2017 09:50:57

Predictive text has got me again for spine read spindle.

19/10/2017 09:49:32

I have a Warco Super Major mill that I have had since new in 2008. \

It has been abused somewhat and over the last couple of years has seen little use because I tend to use the CNC mill for most things these days,.However, I like to keep it in reserve in case any urgent jobs turn up and the CNC mill has ongoing work or if my Son In Law needs to mill something while I continue with other stuff.

The last time I used it as soon as I switched on the power to the spine the fuse blew at the consumer box in the workshop. I tried twice and each time it blew a 16 amp fuse.

I suspect that the start capacitor may be the culprit but being a total Numpty when it comes to electrics How do I go safely about testing to see if this is the case?

I have a multi meter so perhaps this will come in handy.

I am a bit wary of capacitors because I do know you can get a nasty jolt off them if they happen to be charged when you touch the terminals.

Thread: World's first floating wind farm off Peterhead
18/10/2017 08:10:04

Ady, I'm sure they will be able to withstand the worst of North Sea Storms. I spent 40 odd years working on Semi Submersible rigs in the North Sea. In all that time we only had two occasions that caused concern as tour being able to hold station. Once when we broke two anchor chains and another time when we got caught by weather when setting out the anchors following a rig move.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
16/10/2017 20:09:45

Harking back to earlier posts regarding the red sun/yellowish sky. I not the red is being caused by smoke and ash from fires in Portugal and Spain. There are also massive forrest fires in California and who knows where else in the world. I can remember working in Russia when forrest fires swept an large area of Russia south of Moscow and a few years before that huge forrest fires occurred in parts of Asia.

A question I have is: are these fires ,or rather the pollution from them taken into account when estimating their effect on global warming?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest