By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Rodgerson

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Rodgerson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BSA drop down centre stand
28/06/2020 10:13:43

I would use EN36 and case harden the ratchet teeth.

Thread: Cutting a large internal hole
25/04/2020 18:50:30

Gavin, you should be able to take larger cuts than o.3mm as already stated but to be honest that is not a great deal of material to open out to.

Patience is a virtue.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
23/04/2020 22:33:26

Hi David, No need to Nitride them they are really strong, probably stronger than the original forged steel rods that the bike came with.

23/04/2020 17:51:24

Old Mart, Can't shorten the barrel. The big end is a double row crowded roller big end. I made iy myself so I hope it works OK,

I have made a few con rods over the years and my 350 side valve Humber has had one in it for years and it has stood the test of time.

23/04/2020 17:45:35

John MC. The material I used was in fact EN24T and not EN-9 Don't know why I said EN-9 in the first place. Must be an age thing.

22/04/2020 23:07:06

I am currently restoring two Humber 350's an OHV and OHC. A few years ago I made up a new big end and built up a crankshaft using a con rod that I thought was the correct Humber rod. Unfortunately when I built up the bottom end of the engine and tried the barrel and piston for fit I found that the piston only came to about 1/2" below the top of the barrel.

The only solution I could come up with was to make a couple of new rods, one for me and another for a friend who is restoring another OHV Humber.

I started with two lengths of 2 3/4" EN-9 Bar.

This is what they look like now. Only the oil hole to drill in the little end and a bit of light polishing here and there should see them finished.img_4313(1).jpg

Thread: Arceurotrade milling cutter sharpening machine
12/04/2020 09:51:23

I have an MG-12 sharpener and it is very good for sharpening end mills. However, as Jason says they only sharpen the ends of the cutter. I usually use shallow cuts when using my CNC mill so that when the cutter becomes blunt I more or less grind away the short blunt wear of the flutes when re grinding the face of the cutter.

I find that four and two flute cutters are easy to sharpen but the instruction book supplied with the machine leaves a lot to be desired (this may have changed as I bought my sharpener pretty soon after they appeared on the market). and three flute cutters turn out oddly shaped at the end.

I would say if you do most of your milling with HSS cutters and do a lot of milling using the flanks then the cutter might n to be for you.

Thread: Buying online delivery problems.
30/03/2020 10:43:31

Dave, you don't have to buy it, We have shopped online for groceries for at least the last five or six years and until the Covid-19 outbreak had no trouble getting what we needed. However, as soon as panic buying in the supermarkets stared we noticed people all around us that never, as far as we knew, had home delivery were suddenly getting deliveries thus extending the panic buying to home deliveries.

What we have noticed since is that the supermarkets are getting to grips with the situation by limiting deliveries to a maximum of 80 items, since this has been introduced my wife has been able to arrange a delivery slot much sooner than the previous shop which had something like a 10 day wait. Also we were able to get almost everything we needed so I have no doubt that you should be able to get your Gluten free Cereals from the likes of Tesco or Sainsburys fairly easily and certainly a lot cheaper than those shipped from Greece

Thread: Miller Machine -
18/02/2020 16:20:59

I had an Axminster round column mill that was very much like that.

Thread: marine steam engines
15/02/2020 11:20:33

Governors are used to provide a constant or near constant RPM. A marine engine has to be able to use various speeds whilst manoeuvring hence no governor.

Thread: Anyone in NW UK able to offer simple Fusion 360 help?
14/02/2020 14:11:10

Fizzy I have sent you a PM

14/02/2020 12:22:05

Fizzy I am in Cheadle Hulme, (South East side of Manchester0 Whereabouts are yo

14/02/2020 08:39:29

Fizzy, what is your aim with Fusion 360 ?

I am self taught and learnt how to use it so that I could generate G Code for my CNC Mill. I am no genius with it but can manage to produce most shapes that I want for motorcycle restorations etc. I gave a few of our ME society guys a few lessons last summer, after a while I found that most of the guys had picked it up well.

If you are using it for producing drawings only I don't see much point in learning it. I still have not mastered animations, whenever I try things fly all over the place.

I might be able to help you with the basics.

Thread: TE winter storage
26/01/2020 09:48:14

Spray with ACF 50 prior to storage. When ready to take out of storage simply wash off and dry prior to using again.

It works for my motorcycles and prevents salt corrosion when riding on salt treated roads.

Thread: Too ambitious or achievable?
18/01/2020 16:11:35

I agree with what David Noble says about taking it slowly one piece at a time. One of the biggest regrets I have was making a Simplex 5" gauge loco as a first locomotive project when I really wanted to build a 4-6-2 locomotive. I built a second locomotive straight afterwards that was more complex but that didn't require any additional skills to build. With IC engines I built a flat twin four stroke engine as my first build, this was followed by a 5 cal radial and another much larger flat twin.

Do what your heart tells you and you will succeed.

Thread: Hello from Luxembourg (with a Russian flavor)
15/01/2020 17:17:10

Gene,

I forgot to add that Maykop was a lovely city to work in. We were based there even though the rigs were about 100Km north near the small vilages of Dondukovsokoye and Koshekable. The Caucasus mountains were only 40Km or so south and were very beautiful, I made several trips to the mountains with the guys from work at weekends.

In summer time the weather was lovely though somewhat hot in July with temperatures over 40 degrees in July common.

15/01/2020 17:03:21

Hello Gene,

I worked for a joint Anglo Russian Venture in the Oil & Gas industry. We were repairing some old Gas wells that had stopped producing and restoring the field back to working order. The British company was JKX petroleum and the Russian parent company was yuzgazenergie. My job there was Drilling Coordinator, basically I was JKX's eyes on the job.

My normal job was Drilling Supervisor and I worked on all different types of drilling rig from small workover rigs to twin Derrick HydraulicOffshore rigs with D.P. Positioning.

14/01/2020 22:20:49

Dobra dien Gene. Welcome to the site. There are quite a few people on this site that are into Motor cycles as well as Model Engineering and t am sure you will find plenty of good advice you need it.

I had then pleasure of working in Maykop (Adegaya) for a couple of years but during my time there

I never met anybody that was into Model Engineering.

Thread: Indoor R/C Flight & a whole lot more
09/11/2019 21:43:27

Indoor RC Flying has been going on all over the UK for many years ands I see no reason why the H & S Staxzi, as you call them would object to it.

Thread: Boring bar toolpost.
03/11/2019 10:18:42

Read Vee Blocks not see blocks. Predictive text rules.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest