By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can you identify these castings?
08/11/2018 20:17:25

My recollection is that the frame needs to be given just the right amount of play in just the right places - it isn't circular either, so you do need TC's description unless you want a lot of head scratching.

Neil

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
08/11/2018 19:27:05
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 08/11/2018 17:27:25:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/11/2018 17:20:25:

If you follow your link, it's no more than 2.5% Pb...

dont know

Please Sir ... Is 2.5 less than 0.3 question

oops... sorry!

08/11/2018 17:20:25
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 08/11/2018 16:55:41:
Posted by CuP Alloys 1 on 08/11/2018 13:46:24:

Where will it end? Free cutting phosphor bronze and mild steel are in their sights!

... and, presumably, 'hard leaded engraving brass' as used for clock wheels, etc. surprise

MichaelG.

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 08/11/2018 17:00:52

If you follow your link, it's no more than 2.5% Pb...

<edit> Leaded mild steel is even less, it's likely neither is affected by the legislation.

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 08/11/2018 17:23:06

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
08/11/2018 17:18:43

I like the idea of rattle harmonic balancers.

They could fit them to Mondeos and you wouldn't have to wait 60,000 miles before they sound like a bag of spanners.

:-0

N.

Thread: Cheap 3D printers
08/11/2018 15:17:41

At the bargain end, many people claim success with the GEEEtech printers.

I have had great results from my Factory3D printer which is a British company so support and a good assembly manual plus some uprated parts, but a little more to pay.

If you want the cream of the crop in kits, go to Prusa but at a premium cost.

Neil

Thread: Midlands Garden Rail Show
08/11/2018 15:12:00

2019 marks the 18th year of The Midlands Garden Rail Show, which is regarded as one of the leading garden rail exhibitions in the UK.

The exhibition, which will take place at the Warwickshire Event Centre near Leamington Spa, attracts over 2,000 enthusiasts from all over the UK and Europe. Organisers are looking forward to presenting another inspiring exhibition showcasing exciting railway layouts covering the larger gauges and scales.

This exhibition is well supported by leading suppliers. Visitors will see live steam model locomotives hauling coaches and wagons - the real thing in miniature.

For further details on the exhibition and suppliers attending please see www.midlandsgardenrailshow.co.uk.

Editor’s Information For more details or images please contact:

Email: ffice@meridienneexhibitions.co.uk">office@meridienneexhibitions.co.uk

Venue: Warwickshire Event Centre, Nr Leamington Spa

On the Junction of the A425/B4455

Opening Times: 10am – 4pm Daily (last admission one hour before closing)

Admission Prices: On Line* Full Price**

Adult £8.00 £9.00

Senior Citizen £7.00 £8.00

Child (5-14) £3.00 £4.00

*On Line - Tickets are available via our website at discounted prices.

**Full Price - Tickets are available on the day from the ticket office.

Website: www.midlandsgardenrailshow.co.uk Twitter:@MeridienneEx Facebook:Meridienne Exhibitions Ltd

Thread: Model Tractor, Plant and Construction Show
08/11/2018 15:11:07

The Model Tractor Show For All Ages. A major exhibition for all tractor, truck, plant & construction machinery enthusiasts.

BE PART OF THE SHOW - ENTER YOUR WORK

The Model Tractor, Plant & Construction Show returns to the Warwickshire Event Centre on Sunday 10th February 2019 for its eighth successful year.

Visitors will be treated to displays featuring scratch built, customised and converted models; dioramas; and machinery including fantastic competition entries.

Members of the Tamiya Truckin Club will show fantastic live action at the show demonstrating and driving their 1/14 and 1/16 scale radio controlled model construction vehicles.

There will also be a number of magnificent full sized vintage tractors on display courtesy of the Warwick Tractor & Vintage Machinery Society (WVTMS) and the Friends of Ferguson Heritage.

Key suppliers will also present at the show which presents an ideal opportunity for modellers to view the latest new products, take advantage of special offers and purchase everything needed for their hobby and collections - plenty of inspiration and ideas for enthusiasts of all ages.

Enthusiasts and modellers are again invited to enter their models and dioramas. This will be a major feature with large display areas at the exhibition and a trophy will be awarded for the winner in each of the following classes:

• Class 1 Tractors & Farming Equipment

1a) Scratch Built Models 1b) Conversions or Customized Models

• Class 2 Plant & Construction Machinery

2a) Scratch Built Models 2b) Conversions or Customized Models

• Class 3 Dioramas

• Class 4 Junior Section (under 16)

4a) All Models 4b) Dioramas

There is no charge for entering. For a competition entry form see www.modeltractorshow.co.uk.

This fantastic exhibition will appeal to all tractor, truck, plant and machinery enthusiasts and reflects the increasing interest in collecting model tractors, plant and construction machinery and in building, detailing or customising models or creating accurate dioramas of the farming scene.

Tickets are on sale now at www.modeltractorshow.co.uk.

Thread: Cheap 3D printers
08/11/2018 14:10:57

Cut your teeth on PLA first.

You may need to download slicing software, I use CURA which is free and excellent.

Neil

Thread: Neil's Irrelevant Press Release Thread
08/11/2018 12:23:56
Posted by thaiguzzi on 07/11/2018 04:57:37:
Posted by Mike Poole on 06/11/2018 19:04:58:

**LINK**

SRV manages to get at least a few off the list in the first couple of minutes of this clip, doesn’t seem to have an adverse effect on his guitar playing though.

Mike

17 mil views. For a sound check. That is how great SRV was.

I saw him at Reading festival on his first visit to the UK. The BBC recorded the whole festival and many of the sets are available, so I have a recording of it

Thread: Captive nut confusion
08/11/2018 11:39:54

Neat

08/11/2018 10:42:53
Posted by John Hinkley on 08/11/2018 10:07:29:

Posted by Neil Wyatt:

"In Atom3D under viewing prefrences you can 'toggle sketches' and 'toggle references' as well as a number of other options."

Thanks for the pointer, Neil, that did the trick. I really should read the manual!.

John

How do you display a proper quote?

Click 'quote' under a posting You can delete any bits you don't want

If you 'lose' the blank line at a the bottom you can get a new one by hovering top or bottom with the mouse and you get a red new line icon that inserts a line that isn't part of the quote.

Thread: An alternative to parting-off
08/11/2018 09:47:23
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 08/11/2018 09:03:37:

In some industries, especially CNC production, there are people whose job is tool setting.

A quick google shows a CNC tool setter can earn £25 - £30 a hour, that's nearly £60-K a year before overtime... I bet you have to be within a thou to earn that!

Neil

Hi Neil, can you point me in the right direction as a previous job search by myself gets nowhere near that figure.

Tony

It was on indeed.com, but surprise, surprise, when I looked this morning the job has gone!

Still some at £15 an hour or 'negotiable'.

But my original point wasn't the salary so much as there are plenty of skilled jobs out there setting CNC tools to high levels of accuracy.

Neil

08/11/2018 09:34:08
Posted by JasonB on 08/11/2018 07:30:54:
Posted by John Hinkley on 07/11/2018 19:56:57:

Cylinder block

I don't know where the red lines are from, maybe they are boundary lines. ( I'm too wrapped up to read the manual at the moment! ) David Jupp has given me a link to some videos, so I'll have a look at them soon.

John, the red lines are each of the sketches, there should be an option to have them visible or hidden but it is slightly different in Atom so I won't confuse you by showing how I can do it. You can also hide the green Axis & plane if desired.

Engine looks good

In Atom3D under viewing prefrences you can 'toggle sketches' and 'toggle references' as well as a number of other options.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
07/11/2018 22:52:37
Posted by duncan webster on 07/11/2018 22:21:44:
Posted by duncan webster on 06/11/2018 19:37:13:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I don't fancy trawling through all the posts. I realise that working on my laptop is not as handy as on the desktop where I have 2 screens, it means I can sit in the same room as SWMBO. If I download to laptop can I also download to desktop, or move it at some date in the future?

It really is time I got out of a 2D world.

So I've made a start by reading the instructions (what a weird idea, not like me at all). My laptop has Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 . According to the interweb this is DirectX 9 compatible, but is not a separate graphics card. Should I stick to the desktop?

I'm sure you don't need a separate card, just Directx9 compatibility, which is pretty much everything these days.

My PC has the graphics on the mainboard.

Thread: An alternative to parting-off
07/11/2018 22:48:16
Posted by fishy-steve on 07/11/2018 22:32:56:
As for industry. I have personally never seen a turner set a tool to centre taking the level of care that would be needed to get these results. At work I tend to use a centre in the tailstock and my eye. Similar to your own method.

Steve.

In some industries, especially CNC production, there are people whose job is tool setting.

A quick google shows a CNC tool setter can earn £25 - £30 a hour, that's nearly £60-K a year before overtime... I bet you have to be within a thou to earn that!

Neil

Thread: MEW Issue 178 Lathe Oiler Project
07/11/2018 22:08:58

Hi John,

We encourage members to avoid posting their email addresses on the open forum to prevent them getting spammed (I have some heavy duty spam protection for my mytimemedia address...)

Howard asked for a personal message (a 'pm' - use the 'message member' button under his post - any reply will appear as a flashing envelope on the right of the page).

I've cut and pasted your email and pm'd it to Howard and deleted it from your email.

Thanks

Neil

Thread: Model Electric Motors?
07/11/2018 22:02:22
Posted by XD 351 on 07/11/2018 18:35:02:

I find this mechanism simply amazing !

**LINK**

Not only that but the mathematics, tools and skill these people had way back then simply stuns me !

Dave, the devils in the detail ! If you’re going to go to the trouble of building a scale model you don’t want to ruin it by taking shortcuts or leaving out the little details that really finish it off , its a bit like spending years building a model of traction engine then whacking a set of mag wheels on it because they were easy to fit !

Err... that link is just trying to get me to give money to Clickspring...

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 08/11/2018 09:40:19

Thread: SX2P - Thrust Bearings??
07/11/2018 22:01:00

It's worth reading this too:

www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=119335

Neil

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
07/11/2018 21:54:07

Is there a burning need for it to be 12 swg? If so you will probably end up paying for them to be surface ground which is probably OTT.

If you can use 3mm and make other components a touch smaller...

07/11/2018 21:48:15
Posted by John Hinkley on 07/11/2018 19:56:57:

Not quite today; the last couple of days, actually. "Playing" - as my wife calls it - with Alibre Atom3D. Unwilling to wait for the next instalment, I've continued with the engine design that I've been mulling over for a while. I've decided to re-do the crank with scalloped webs instead of circular ones, but later on. In the meantime I've tried my hand at the cylinder block. It will be a wet-liner, 4-cylinder job with a swept volume of 123cc. I don't know if I'm going about it the right way, but I've built the block up (down, really ) from the cylinder head face in slices, which are then individually sculpted with cut-outsetc, before the next layer is added. Many mistakes and re-tries later, this is what I've go to show for it:

Cylinder block

I don't know where the red lines are from, maybe they are boundary lines. ( I'm too wrapped up to read the manual at the moment! ) David Jupp has given me a link to some videos, so I'll have a look at them soon.

It's not the prettiest engine I'd have to agree, but, hey, even Cosworth had to start somewhere!

John

Edited to remove smiley face.

Edited By John Hinkley on 07/11/2018 19:58:23

Well done John!

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Shapiro
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest