By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
16/01/2019 22:08:48

I'm fitting a new body to a guitar I 'made' in 1993 using a neck I found in a skip and various Frankenstein bits and bobs. My plywood bod weighed a ton, so I ordered a pre-shaped one. Its very light and the wood is a 'soft hardwood' after getting the dents out (it fell off a stool) with eth damp tissue and iron technique, I gave it several coats of dilute PVA to toughen it up a bit.

Tonight I've been airbrushing it with dilute caligraphy ink in an attempt to create a blue sunburst. This has highlighted a filled non-porous area that's in an annoyingly visible spot. I've painted it with neat ink and tried to blend it in. I think a third spray session will be needed, it won't be too bad for an amateur attempt!

Some minor trimming of the woodwork still to be done to make room for a Floyd Rose (copy) bridge and allow for the neck being Gibson scale length despite being strat shaped...

Then I will give it several coats of hard polyurethane varnish (I know it should be nitrocellulose, but this is a hack not a work of art) and wait for the scratchplate material to come.

Neil

16/01/2019 21:58:47
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 16/01/2019 21:13:32:

Got my refund for the gear cutters but was not impressed with the reason the vendor gave ebay for ending the sale. Apparently it was my fault for not wanting the item. What a cheek!

Doug

Give them suitable feedback.

Thread: Free Electricity
16/01/2019 20:17:22
Posted by Journeyman on 16/01/2019 15:59:53:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/01/2019 15:48:34:

And the Earth is flat...

Well, of course it is:-

atuin.jpg

John

Naaah!

It's Turtles all the way down!

Thread: Hello from Northampton
16/01/2019 20:14:19

Welcome to the forum, Graham.

Neil

Thread: Model Turbines
16/01/2019 18:03:21

The Rateaux turbine in the latest ME is interesting too.

Thread: nylon gib strip grub screws?
16/01/2019 17:35:06
Posted by Peter F on 16/01/2019 17:32:59:

Thanks to everyone who commented, I actually found somewhere that can order them in, so I'm going to get a price, they probably won't be cheap, this style grub screw was the standard one that came with my Mill, I've never seen them before, and I'm surprised they're not more common given it takes away the chance of losing the correct position when you tighten the locking nut, If they're too much I'm going to replace my Lathe with them too.

Ideas on how you could make them, I's use stainless, make maybe a 2mm hole all the way through, then use some thermo plastic (if you've never used this before, it's very tough like nylon) soften if up in boiling water as instructed, and just push a bit through the hole, I might try this regardless.

A sample pack of 10m of 1.75mm nylon 3D printer filament might do, or strimmer cord was mentioned - various diameters.

Thread: Free Electricity
16/01/2019 15:48:34

And the Earth is flat...

Thread: Use of Colour on Drawings
16/01/2019 14:00:57
Posted by JasonB on 16/01/2019 13:03:38:

You can see that Neil puts his printer refills through on expenses to MTMdevil

I wish!

Actually I have a venerable HP1022 that works out at around a ha'penny a page and an Epson Ecotank that may need its black tank refilling in a few months, after over two years...

Neil

| 15yrs ago have you finished the part yetquestion

backplate and detent.jpg

Thread: Involute, Circular Gear-Cutter on Eccentric Arbor...
16/01/2019 13:09:18

I make symmetrical cutters from silver steel disks, then cut out a T-shape piece. Mounted eccentrically on an arbor they work as single point cutters and can be reversed to use the second edge. A stop on the arbor makes sure they can't shift.

Neil

Thread: Colin Chapman - Great Lives, 4:30 today
16/01/2019 13:04:38

Well it was OK, but it wasn't 'stirring stuff' :-/

Neil

Thread: lathe to cut 26tpi
16/01/2019 12:58:08
Posted by not done it yet on 16/01/2019 07:44:37:

Maybe it has something to do with:

Where castings are poured, where they are machined, where the machined parts are assembled or simply where new stickers were carefully placed on the otherwise finished product?

In other words, does ‘manufactured’ mean ‘made’, or not?

'Country of manufacture' has a legal definition as the country where the last substantive manufacturing process was carried out (attaching a sticker probably would not count, assembling individual parts probably would). So both Myford and Boxford are legally made in the UK. I very much doubt that any Boxford lathe solely contains parts made in the UK, for example, where do the fixings and electronic components come from?

Thread: Gold Plating
16/01/2019 12:50:47
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/01/2019 10:38:07:
Posted by Rob Rimmer on 16/01/2019 10:26:20:

... and maybe contacting Gateros Plating for advice.

**LINK**

https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/plating-kits

Gold plating kits are hazardous, but I've bought stuff from Gateros and I can confirm it comes with excellent instructions AND full manufacturers safety data sheets.

I would agree that you seek their advice first rather than just diving in.

Neill

Thread: Use of Colour on Drawings
16/01/2019 12:43:08

Can I throw in a googly?

I have a personal preference for a VERY pale shading, say a 5% gray, for the background.

This makes it very obvious what are holes through a part and what are raised features, and also makes it clear that dimension lines are not part of the object.

This will no doubt be unpopular with some but I find it helps me 'read' drawings, especially ones with lots of parts.

I find many 3D drawings distracting unless they are needed to help visualise a particularly complex part.

I can live with or without colour on 3D.

Neil

P.S. here's one I did 15 years ago(!)

Thread: Colin Chapman - Great Lives, 4:30 today
15/01/2019 16:21:13

Well spotted Mike - I had a Monty Python brain fart.

It is Colin not Graham who will be featured today blush

Neil

15/01/2019 16:09:49

We could all do with something lighter on the Radio today.

At 4:30 Radio 4 Great Lives will be Colin Chapman of Lotus fame. Don't expect lots of engineering/tech discussion but hopefully it will be an interesting programme.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 15/01/2019 16:19:35

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/01/2019 11:22:25
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 13/01/2019 18:43:27:

Iain, you have just cost me £12.80. I just could not stop my finger pressing the buy button for the set of cutters. Like you I do not have an immediate plan for them but have wanted to try gearcutting for years but never got round to it. At that price there is very little to lose and perhaps a lot to gain, so hears hoping they are at least usable.

Doug

Edited By Douglas Johnston on 13/01/2019 18:44:42

Looks like you are out of luck:

This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

N.

Thread: Zyto Owners Only. Other Riff Raff can keep out :P
14/01/2019 19:39:40

Hi Paul,

Despite your claim, I have had some badgers complaining about your post.

We want this to be a website that doesn't flag up as unsuitable for schools etc. so please moderate the language a bit.

Thanks

Neil

14/01/2019 19:36:15
Posted by Paul Kennedy on 14/01/2019 18:31:08:

Adam,

I've someone on the job looking for one for me and Id rather the original, however there is a number of problems, the worst is i'm an impatient arse at times so much so that my knick knacks itch and i don't have crabs, least i don't think i do SO That being said, i'm very keen to get cracking and build one. I've been thinking it out in my head and made one or two sketches of the original bench mounted design. What i'm planning is welding up steel plate, angle iron, flat bar and round bar to make the frame and base. And then machine it. Easier said than done but it shouldn't be too difficult given the right tools. I think I have most of the main tooling i require but there's always something you miss.Im really lacking actual workspace and might have to wait untill the spring summer or at least untill i get some dry weather and try tackling it outside in the carpark or the green. No welding bench either so it will have to be a plate of steel on a B&D Workmate Workbench ! I'm also looking for better photos for a start so i can import them into autocad and then scale them correctly with a known size so i can generate reasonably accurate plans compared to the original bench countershaft. So i'm playing myself at this point but thinking and planning don't cost me any cash so.

If my friend fails in his quest then I hope to be prepared to just make one for myself but id need to reach into my pocket to buy the materials, and misc other stuff to do the job. I know i don't have a through hole boring bar for instance so there are things i'm still missing that i will need to make the thing. I'm also thinking about putting bearings on the spindle rather than bushes or maybe it just ran in the bare cast iron back then. Bushes or bearing. Hmm not sure on that one yet. Olite bushings is more authentic if still not strictly speaking original but the whole frame is fabricated and not cast so is there any point in even trying to be authentic with the frame :/ My first hurdle is to get some decent photos that both show the details and are reasonabaly square on so i can scale relatively accurately. I've put out some feelers out to a guy that I think has the lathe I displayed earlier.The pulleys will be another problem but i will see what i can do about that nearer the time if i go ahead with it. It seems everything you do at home suffers from the chicken/ egg problem. you need the tool to make the tool to make the bracket used on the thigy me jig to clamp the whatsnot so you can, i dont know, make the part. Or you can spend a wad of cash on stuff you will likely only use a half dozen times.

Also I dont want to start this only in a month or two have my mate say hes found it and for me to have wasted the little spare cash on stuff to make the countershaft when i could have bought one if id just been a bit patient !

Another route is to bolt two plumbers blocks to some 2x4 and jury rig something out of that but thats not really me although if i was in the desert or at sea i would because id have to. Ive seen a photo off your older countershaft and have also considered an intermediate solution. Ive seen a photo of a countershaft whose frame was made from unistrut as well which was both an inspired solution but rough as a badgers

Also no badgers were harmed during the writing of this posting

I kinda want the original but also want to make it so i can say 'I made this !' :D

Will keep you posted !

Im of for a cuppa tea.

Paul

Edited By Paul Kennedy on 14/01/2019 18:35:43

The opposite side if interested.

081f3ccebe519a2a96d6c72577e7363e.jpg

Edited By Paul Kennedy on 14/01/2019 18:48:16

Thread: Woes of My Digimatic
14/01/2019 19:32:58
Posted by Martin Connelly on 13/01/2019 23:20:07:

I have read that for some of these calipers as well as removing the battery you may need to short out the battery terminals to reset the electronics.

Martin C

Yes, the display clears with the battery out but they can run for a while on stored charge.

Neil

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition - Alexandra Palace
14/01/2019 19:07:17
Posted by mick H on 14/01/2019 15:23:19:

Thanks for that Speedy. I did find an on line deal that looked as if two single tickets would reduce the cost to just over £50 but the moron at Boston flatly denied that it was possible even though I produced a computer printout with the details...she just thrust it back at me with a contemptuous snarl. Serious attitude problem with rail staff it would appear from the stories one hears and reads about and experiences. A drive to Peterborough is not on the cards for me at the moment but it would cut the cost to about £30.

Different from my local station. When I caught the train to the Doncaster show she gave me a local travel pass for part of the journey, which nearly halved the best price I got on line.

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
méridienne Nov 18
Shapiro
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest