By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Online ME index
17/01/2020 22:10:17
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/01/2020 17:58:26:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 16:44:22:

Hi Doreen,

Visit www.model-engineer.co.uk/mewindex

[…]

Silly me blush

... I thought Doreen was looking for ME indexes [as per the thread title], not MEW

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 17/01/2020 17:59:10

Actually it's not clear which, as this thread hasn't been very clear which is being spoken about when... but when folks refer to issues with low numbers it's usually MEW as the content of those early MEs while fascinating is very dated!

Neil

Thread: Betelgeuse in Orion
17/01/2020 22:07:18

We all tend to think of the naked-eye night sky as unchanging, aside from the rare visit of a large comet and the steady passage of the planets. In act many stars are 'variable' but it can take some effort to detect the changes.

Recently, however, there has been a dramatic change which is easy to see.

If you are familiar with the constellation Orion, pop out on one of the clear nights expected this weekend and look for the yellowish star at top left (bottom right Aussies!)

This is Betelgeuse and we are used to it being one of the brightest stars in the sky but it has rapidly faded.

Between October 31st and December 31st it went from 10th brightest to 21st brightest, and it has continued to fade since this article was written:

www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/fainting-betelgeuse/

It's not unprecedented, but it's about a century since it was last this faint.

Betelguese is expected to go supernova some time in the next one or two hundred thousand years but there's only an outside chance it could go pop soon (or has gone and the flash hasn't reached us!)

If it does go it could be as bright as the moon for an extended period, but no danger to life on Earth.

Neil

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
17/01/2020 21:57:48
Posted by Cornish Jack on 17/01/2020 17:17:24:

Never mind the technicalities (which are truly outstanding!), looking at that image and realising what I am looking at blows a mental fuse! It is not possible to comprehend even a small part of that never mind the concept of a Universe! Astonishing - and unnerving!

I from earth it covers an area about nine times that of the full moon, despite being 5,000 light years away! The hole in the middle is blasted out by the cluster of bright young stars near the centre and is nearly 50 light years across, in other words it is HUGE.

The dark patches like ink dripped in water are 'bok globules' of dense dust where stars form.

It really is quite amazing what massive things are in the night sky but too faint to see with the naked eye.

Neil

Thread: Online ME index
17/01/2020 16:44:22

Hi Doreen,

Visit www.model-engineer.co.uk/mewindex

Not only are there links to online and offline indexes, but also a list to which issues the paper indexes appeared in.

The task of the paper indexes was started by Harold Hall and continued by Barry Chamberlain and does cover all issues.

These indexes are in included the Archive copies (at least those I've checked).

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 16:44:53

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 16:47:47

Thread: Mobile Phone
17/01/2020 16:41:08
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 17/01/2020 15:38:05:

" whenever you will go out of your area there in order to use the phone properly you need to restart the phone, because when you use the phone ourside your area if you won't restart the phone then it won't work. "

To paraphrase Yoda "Codswallop such never heard I have, Skywalker".

The only time I restart my phone is if it gets confused by too many bluetooth devices and starts forgetting them.

I've been from the Midlands to Scotland and Wales and back again all without a restart.

My daughter's phone went to Georgia and back via Turkey without needing a 'reset'.

That's how mobile phones are supposed to work (the clue is in the 'mobile' bit...)

Neil

Thread: stephensons valve gear etc.,
17/01/2020 16:36:52

Is one valve too far out of adjustment and fouling inside the valve chest?

Neil

Thread: Face Mill for lathe
17/01/2020 16:35:43

One thought, if you have a wobbly set up with plenty of overhang, then the more inserts on your cutter, the more expensive it is when they all get chipped.

I agree with Howard about multiple tooth engagement.

In the early days when milling tools were seen as 'rotary files' they had vastly more teeth, which possibly helped with spindly setups and questionable alignment.

Neil

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
17/01/2020 16:28:25

Thanks, it's getting there! Don't know if its the mono being more sensitive or that I was at a friend's place with possibly better skies, but lots more detail than my previous Rosettes.

Neil

17/01/2020 15:40:30

Mono narrowband Ha image from a couple of nights ago.

Really pulling out some detail

Zoomable full size image here.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 15:41:54

Thread: Lathes as bling!
17/01/2020 15:35:42
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 17/01/2020 14:23:32:

I don't know about blingy lathes but anybody can take photos with 10 grands worth of camera kit, and it's dead easy to take a very good photo these days with no effort at all, especially with digital photo manipulation.

There are some people who can reliably take better photos on a cellphone (or a box brownie) than some people can take with 10 grand of kit...

Same goes for lathes...

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2020 15:36:28

Thread: New from Essex
17/01/2020 15:33:37

Welcome to the forum, Mick,

Neil

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition 2020
17/01/2020 15:30:10

Cheers Jason,

yes, should be there tomorrow.

Neil

Thread: Does solder seep into copper plate ?
16/01/2020 17:36:34
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 16/01/2020 15:27:15:

Not found anything stating how thick the diffusion zone might be, but the relative scale of Figure 4 relative to Fig 13 suggests it could be significantly more than my micron suggestion, perhaps 0.1 to 0.4mm.

In principle I don't suppose the distance could be comparable to the penetration during case hardening or nitriding, as the temperature is lower, but this might be countered by the mutual solubility.

Neil

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
16/01/2020 16:43:14
Posted by Bandersnatch on 15/01/2020 22:01:08:

edit: Interesting thing though: today (15 Jan) I got Windows Update for improvements to the servicing stack. This is the Windows component that installs updates ( ! ) dont know

Perhaps the 'improvement' is that it won't download updates unless you have a subscription?

I'm sure that if an existential threat to W7 computers appear there will be critical updates.

But as a happy W10 user I have no idea why so many folks fear changing.

Neil

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
16/01/2020 16:39:51
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/01/2020 17:13:37:

dont know

NPL would, like any Accredited Test-House, require a specification against which to certify Pass or Fail.

MichaelG.

Humour....

Neil

Thread: Sent lathe back
15/01/2020 16:56:14

If it's from an enlarger it is probably going to flex under heavy cuts as it will be relatively thin wall tube.

If this happens, it won't be ridiculously expensive to replace it, perhaps with a solid bar.

Might be worth beefing up the base board as well, I forsee much flexing when milling otherwise.

The lathe itself is a nice wee machine,some nice articles on accessories by Terry Gorin about four/five years ago in Model Engineer's Workshop.

Neil

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
15/01/2020 16:28:40

If you wake up in the middle of the night worried that if your home-cut threads are going to fail when tested by the NPL wth a laser interferometer, you can always buy Brian Wood's book and use the most accurate ratios possible*.

Neil

*and still make threads that fail the test.

Thread: PSU for anodising.
15/01/2020 16:25:09

I don't want to overstate it, but my advice is based on practical experience, and before I started I took advice from Gateros Plating who make their living supporting hobbyist platers and anodisers.

I know the approach I use works from experience and gives good results,even if it isn't theoretically optimal.

You waste a lot of time worrying about exact voltages, but if you do that you should also be fretting about exact bath temperatures, electrolyte concentration, anode area, anodising time etc.

Transformers are good PSUs because they cope well with sudden, brief surges.

Bear in mind this is bucket chemistry, not precision engineering, plus the nature of anodising is that the area of the work helps determine the current. It's got more in common with cooking.

If you want perfectly identical loaves every time you need to control EVERY aspect of the process.

If you want a lovely artisanal loaf out of your wood-fired oven, just get it hot, shove it in and take it out when its cooked properly.

15/01/2020 15:59:39
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 15/01/2020 15:52:31:

Don't forget that if you want to have sulfuric acid stronger than 15% you need an Explosives and Poisons Precursors licence in the UK

Easily avoided by using sulphuric at just less than 15%, which works fine.

15/01/2020 15:58:28
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 15/01/2020 10:17:58:
Posted by Robin Graham on 14/01/2020 23:14:47:

OK, thanks. I guess I just need to suck it and see.

Dave's suggestion that 2V might be enough is surprising and seems to go against the tide of opinion and experience. I thought about trying to make calculations based on the conductivity of dilute sulphuric acid solutions, but it seems that the surface resistivity of the electrodes is dominant. Maybe that's why it's all a bit up in the air.

Yes, here's what Wikipedia says, my bold:

'The voltage required by various solutions may range from 1 to 300 V DC, although most fall in the range of 15 to 21 V. Higher voltages are typically required for thicker coatings formed in sulfuric and organic acid. The anodizing current varies with the area of aluminium being anodized and typically ranges from 30 to 300 A/m2.'

15 to 21V is higher than I expected, and more in line with the volts produced by a car battery charger.

Wikipedia also says: 'Alternating current and pulsed current is also possible but rarely used.' Watch out, a battery charger is likely to be unsmoothed DC pulses, easily fixed by adding an electrolytic capacitor across the output, big rather than small, I'd guess 1000uF.

Can you report back? A range of 1 to 300V suggests strongly that the electrolyte is the main decider, so experimentation is in order. The ideal power supply would allow the operator to increase voltage until the necessary current was flowing proportional to the object's surface area. (30 to 300 A/m2, another wide operating range)

Sorry to mislead!

Dave

You're over-thinking it Dave,

A car battery charger, as is, is perfectly suitable. My PSU is just the transformer out of a car battery charger that blewup its rectifier, fitted ina new box with a heavy duty rectifier.

If I can get results with that, anyone can.

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest