By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mini lathe feed
13/01/2021 12:36:42

When engaged the wheel won't work and vice-versa.

The half nuts are adjustable in several ways, there is also a hidden grub screw that controls how closely they mesh (Incidentally Ian Bradley suggested such a screw as an upgrade for the S7).

Neil

Thread: Rejoice, Rejoice, I have at long last achieved something!
13/01/2021 12:33:41

I followed the same journey and now have a mighty 15W LED bulb in my Anglepoise (which, incidentally, has a MAX 60W sticker inside the shade).

Neil

Thread: CLASSIFIED ADVERTISING - PLEASE READ
13/01/2021 11:15:35

Thanks br, that's a useful suggestion.

Neil

13/01/2021 11:14:53

We would also like to ask people not to use the forum to set up any meetings to inspect, colelct or deleiver items for the time being.

We don't want this to undermine the sensible advice to get secondhand machines inspected first hand before buying, but under current circumstances it's best to be patient - better days are ahead.

Neil

12/01/2021 20:14:37

Under current Government advice we would like to ask Forum Members not to post any classified advertisements for items for collection or viewing due to the present situation with Covid-19.

We strongly advise against making unnecessary trips, but as it is possible to arrange courier collection or use drop off points at supermarkets etc. as part of an essential shopping trip we will allow the advertising of smaller items that can be despatched in these ways.

New adverts that do not follow the spirit of these guidelines will be withdrawn without notice.

Please follow any further local advice in Wales, Ireland, Scotland or England as appropriate.

Please respect the needs of delivery drivers to protect their own safety and, if receiving a parcel take sensible precautions when handling anything packaged by someone else.

Thank you for your understanding in this situation.

Neil

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
11/01/2021 17:39:31
Posted by Frances IoM on 11/01/2021 15:53:12:
No idea re sacking - but MTM with much of its news-stand sales lost (eg my local W H Smiths takes 1 copy of ME + MEW whereas it was probably 10 prior to lockdown) must be in significant difficulties as a subscription only model has generally failed for other once thriving publications deprived of advertising revenue. The lockdown is very unlikely to be gone before next summer at earliest + I suspect MEW might well be one of the casualties

Actually subscriptions have been the saviour of most magazines, its those who rely on mostly news stand sales that have been hit the hardest across the industry. Losing all our overseas distribution was a blow, but fortunately it did get sorted.

I think we have lost about seven titles, although Model Boats was resurrected after a few month's break.

Advertising has recovered somewhat, the problem was not that people weren't buying model engineering goods, it was that they were cleaning out the suppliers who couldn't restock fast enough due to (ongoing, but improving) delays in receiving stock from overseas.

Subs renewals are what will keep the magazines going.

Neil

11/01/2021 17:32:01
Posted by Frances IoM on 11/01/2021 15:02:08:
My copy has not yet arrived - although before Xmas Beth (of MTM) emailed that I was correct in my supposition that my subscription included both this and subsequent issues I suspect the difficulties seen by others re subscriptions may have hit me - as my last email on 8th Dec to Beth pointing out that she had made a mistake in the final issue was auto-answered by 'out of office + on annual leave' some 5 weeks later still have had no reply.

Beth recently returned after an extended break, I know she's being doing a lot of catching up. Perhaps you had best send her a reminder?

Neil

Thread: straight shank adapter for MT2/MT3 drill bits
08/01/2021 17:08:53

There is more than one pair of eyes on this thread...

Disagreeing with someone's views is not a licence to be rude.

Neil

08/01/2021 17:05:26

Mine arrived today.

Neil

07/01/2021 16:39:23

Please bear with us.

There has been unwelcome slippage in production schedules due to various lockdowns.

I'm sure everyone will appreciate that we are not always being able to produce magazines in time for the provisional on sale date in the previous issue. Editors have no control over this, scheduling is done centrally across all magazines.

Magazines are mailed out in advance of general sale, and normally arrive around Monday or Tuesday before an on sale date on the following Friday.

It is clear that the Royal Mail are struggling to achieve regular deliveries and there are additional delays in the system.

Yesterday I got a first class letter dated 19 December that was posted in Birmingham (about 30 miles away), that's over two weeks for what would normally be a next day delivery.

We are also only getting 2 or 3 deliveries a week.

This is totally beyond our control, under these circumstances all we can do is ask people to be patient and accept that some people may not receive their copies until a week or more after others get the same issue.

Neil

Thread: ME magazine late again
07/01/2021 16:38:19

Please bear with us.

There has been unwelcome slippage in production schedules due to various lockdowns.

I'm sure everyone will appreciate that we are not always being able to produce magazines in time for the provisional on sale date in the previous issue. Editors have no control over this, scheduling is done centrally across all magazines.

Magazines are mailed out in advance of general sale, and normally arrive around Monday or Tuesday before an on sale date on the following Friday.

It is clear that the Royal Mail are struggling to achieve regular deliveries and there are additional delays in the system.

Yesterday I got a first class letter dated 19 December that was posted in Birmingham (about 30 miles away), that's over two weeks for what would normally be a next day delivery.

We are also only getting 2 or 3 deliveries a week.

This is totally beyond our control, under these circumstances all we can do is ask people to be patient and accept that some people may not receive their copies until a week or more after others get the same issue.

Neil

07/01/2021 16:25:25
Posted by DMB on 07/01/2021 15:54:31:

"No it aint!"

Not today, but maybe tomorrow, same as Smith's? So much for advertising that a benefit of coughing up handfuls of dosh a year in advance is to get it days b4 newagents casual customers. Not even got the excuse of blaming Royal mail being overwhelmed by the Xmas postal rush.

On sale date is 8 January - tomorrow.

There really isn't anything we can do to speed up delivery under current circumstances, as I am sure everyone will appreciate.

I haven't got my copy yet, but we are not getting daily postal deliveries here - please anticipate unavoidable delays.

Neil

Thread: The Pitch Drop Experiment
06/01/2021 20:58:51

I heard that the majority of panes are thicker at the bottom, but not all.

The suggested reason is that it's logical to fit a pane of glass with the heavy end at the bottom.

Neil

Thread: Virtual Meet Ups
06/01/2021 10:46:07

I thought that went very well,,thanks again to Mike for a great talk on his Single Wheeler, Bazyle for organising and everyone for joining in.

Neil

06/01/2021 09:18:51

Last call folks, the talk is about to start we have 23 people on board so far, including a couple of Aussies.

Still time to join!

Neil

06/01/2021 08:41:43

Well it took several tries to get the internet up this morning - felt like the closing scenes of 'Flight of the Pheonix'...

Hopefully I will join you all soon

Thread: Terco trainer - Finally getting back to it.
05/01/2021 14:18:58

Nice mill, Sam.

Now you know why they are called 'spring' collets

Neil

Thread: Postal Imports ... Notice 143
05/01/2021 14:17:06

For clarity, ads on this site are not an 'OMP' as they take you to the sellers own website.

I am daily seeing overseas websites that are either suspending sales to the UK altogether or no longer selling some items to the UK for the time being.

An interesting one is that a major musical instrument retailer in Germany, who have a UK-specific website, have been told by Fender that they can't sell their products to the UK as they only have a European distribution deal.

I think this is going to take months or longer to get sorted out, but it's going to be very hit and miss buying from anywhere abroad now the low value threshold has gone*.

Neil

*I think the main reason for this was that HMRC realised how much VAT and import duty they were missing on items deliberately undervalued and sent from overseas, raher than Brexit.

Thread: A finished project - at last!
05/01/2021 14:05:31

Stunning model, Ramon.

I hope it will make it to some exhibitions so we can see it in the flesh.

Neil

Thread: ME magazine late again
04/01/2021 13:18:20

I have enquired about the online date for ME 4655 - I suspect print copies have got a bit ahead of the digital timetable again.

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest