By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coronavirus
02/04/2020 19:59:12
Posted by HOWARDT on 02/04/2020 17:52:48:

For those living in or near Warwick, with a 3D printer, and wanting to help.

Face mask supply

No connection with company, just know of it.

Looks like basically the same as the one I'm printing.

A clever bit is that a standard 4-hole punch used on a A4 sheet of anything transparent (even a pop bottle) will make a visor.

(edit: I should add in an emergency, the ones for the NHS will have laser cut PETG shields)

.Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 02/04/2020 20:00:05

02/04/2020 19:52:58

On number 9, but as I haven't done any chin peices yet don't think I will finish the batch until Saturday.

Neil

Thread: Mystery Tool.
02/04/2020 19:50:08

I was going to suggest it's an ear-piercing device for people who enjoy long-drawn out misery instead of a short sharp shock...

Neil

Thread: Guidelines for which steel to use for projects
02/04/2020 16:51:26

These might help if you like the old-style numbers. Any errors, let me know!

www.stubmandrel.co.uk/model-engineering/164-mild-steel

www.stubmandrel.co.uk/model-engineering/2-uncategorised/165-high-carbon-steels

Neil

Thread: Model of an epicyclic gear made by apprentices
02/04/2020 16:47:29

That's a lovely model of an unusual subject..

Neil

02/04/2020 16:43:10
Posted by Michael Checkley on 02/04/2020 11:31:46:

Do you have a link to FAQ? I cannot find it on their website. Hopefully peoples efforts wont be wasted but currently if used its without approval and may never get it. On the other hand it could provide vital assistance to care workers who are not necessarily NHS staff and some literally have nothing in the form or PPE.

You need to sign up as a volunteer, that will let you sign in to their pages on Slack (a forum like system) and access the information on Google docs (regularly updated so I won't post a link to what might be an out of date document).

I'm on headband 6.

Neil

Thread: How can I remove this mould from painted surface?
02/04/2020 16:39:54

Cillit Bang mould remover!

Just ask Barry!

Thread: Corona virus and current magazine publication
02/04/2020 16:04:01

Full details for MEW here, I put this up on the 190th but no-one seemed to notice! In short we are going to a slightly publication cycle for 6 months.

www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=151891

The situation for ME is pretty much the same.

We are committed to keeping the magazines moving as long as the printers and distribution are in place.

Neil.

02/04/2020 10:08:04
Posted by Michael Checkley on 02/04/2020 09:11:09:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 01/04/2020 20:33:15:

**LINK**

3D printed face shields for NHS people at lower risk to help prioritise full shields for people dealing with high risks.

You have to take care to keep them sterile.

This looks a more practical way people with 3D printers can help. I'm on my second frame and only started 2 hours ago.

If I can do 20 in two-three days it looks like DHL will collect and take them to the central distribution point.

Neil

I have also seen requests for support on places like LinkedIn and having all the tools to assist I have been thinking about how I can also do my bit. However, does anyone know if this "stuff" will actually make it to our NHS staff? or will it end up in landfill or sold abroad? I have heard stories of piles of donated PPE that cannot be used as it does not meet the requirements. Next years documentaries are probably being written as we speak.

Having worked on a few medical equipment projects I know that it can take as much effort to get through qualification as it did to design the thing in the first place. If I was handed a homemade face mask to wear either on a ward or in a car park doing routine checks I`m not sure I would be that happy. I suppose its better than nothing but they don't have nothing its out there, somewhere, waiting to be distributed. The impression I have is that we have enough PPE in the UK its just in the wrong place and getting moved about more promptly now.

Perhaps someone that knows first hand can clarify as I would be happy for my Ultimaker to be working day and night if it was going to good use.

Mike

Visit the website and check their FAQS. They already have orders for the masks which are being fulfilled and the legal side has been looked into. The masks have been approved in Poland and they are waiting on NHS approval.

Thread: How can I remove this mould from painted surface?
02/04/2020 10:04:34

Is that a WO scope?

Tut! Tut! Slapped wrists!

Neil

Thread: Doncaster ME Show.
02/04/2020 10:03:04

I think it's pretty obvious that it won't happen, unless the virus mutates and gets sucked into the stratosphere to be destroyed*.

Neil

*Well it happened to the Andromeda Strain and Michael Crichton never gets his science wrong....

Thread: New design of mains plug?
01/04/2020 20:54:20

Quality plugs come with a card showing how long to cut each wire, so that if the cable pulls out live comes free first and earth is disconnected last.

Slapped wrist for anyone who ignores this! Check your plugs now!

This pic is clearer:

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 01/04/2020 21:01:03

Thread: The Home Workshop Dictionary - FREE E-BOOK
01/04/2020 20:45:00
Posted by V8Eng on 01/04/2020 16:26:01:

Sorry to hear that Neil a bit of well written late night reading is handy in these odd times. I have no idea what KDP select is but shame it got in the way.

Edited By V8Eng on 01/04/2020 16:28:03

If your content hasn't been published before you can give Amazon exclusive rights, which presumably is why they only let you promote those books. My other ones are based on series that appeared in ME.

Neil

01/04/2020 20:34:51
Posted by Martin Kyte on 01/04/2020 13:18:43:

You may like to hear about the efforts of our Lab in the scientific effort. You can read about it here.

**LINK**

regards Martin

Brilliant, thanks Martin.

Neil

01/04/2020 20:33:15

**LINK**

3D printed face shields for NHS people at lower risk to help prioritise full shields for people dealing with high risks.

You have to take care to keep them sterile.

This looks a more practical way people with 3D printers can help. I'm on my second frame and only started 2 hours ago.

If I can do 20 in two-three days it looks like DHL will collect and take them to the central distribution point.

Neil

Thread: The Home Workshop Dictionary - FREE E-BOOK
01/04/2020 14:28:08

I've tried to make another book free, but because my others aren't enrolled in KDP select Amazon won't let me.

Sorry

Neil

Thread: Box-Ford travelling steady
31/03/2020 18:36:57
Posted by not done it yet on 31/03/2020 18:24:50:

But it’s much better than ’Oxford’ ... Which it was before Neil kindly changed it.

yes, maybe. But a search for ‘Boxford’ brings up ten pages. A search for
Box-Ford brings up one thread.

KISS

Ah, but this thread is now mostly about Box-Ford so it would be wrong to change it...

Neil

Thread: Which is the most popular
31/03/2020 18:20:45
Posted by Ian Parkin on 31/03/2020 08:53:14:

I dont know whether the publishers will thank me but if you subscribe to Magzter you get mew and me and most other magazines within the subscription mine cost me £60 per year

lots of woodwork,photography,men’s interests (and those too)

You won't get the archive, which goes back to 1995, unless you subscribe through this website (our on the phone to our helpful sales folks).

But we do get revenue payments from Magzter.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 31/03/2020 18:23:29

Thread: Inlaying silver in brass.
31/03/2020 16:43:17

Just fill the depression with silver solder, no-one will ever know the difference.

Tubal Cain's soldering and brazing book pictures a 'T.C.' done in just this way, using ordinary punches.

Neil

31/03/2020 16:32:39
Posted by Frances IoM on 31/03/2020 11:15:15:
Is anyone else having delivery problems with Currys/PC World - my washing machine failed some days ago, a new one booked to be delivered yesterday - ok on their computer + phone re delivery time etc but no show + no contact - now can't get through on phone + computer claims not to know of my order

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/coronavirus-1222-commercial.html

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest