By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My first model - The Stuart 10V
18/07/2019 21:09:15

POSTING IMAGES

Neil

Thread: Wood in small (or large) amounts
18/07/2019 21:07:39
Posted by Brian H on 18/07/2019 14:22:49:

I needed some wood for my Burrell-Boydell, it needed to be reasonably grainless and a light colour.

I found this supplier after a local search;

Nottingham Hardwood Timber

www.nottinghamhardwoodtimber.co.uk

Tel:07889779220

The owner is Simon who is very helpful and will supply small amounts of wood in a large variety of species.

No connection etc

Brian

Interesting, I've dropped him an email to see if he stocks blanks suitable for guitar bodies.

Thread: Angle grinders - Dangerous or not
18/07/2019 20:55:03
Posted by Stueeee on 18/07/2019 11:16:50:

Also the tool needs to be fit for purpose to be safe. This angle grinder bought new from eBay had a gearbox casing made of pure Chinesium. The first angle grinder arrived with a faulty switch, so I returned it. This is what happened to the replacement after 30 minutes use. This time I decided to cut out the middle man and threw it in the bin before buying a decent branded grinder.

It will be impossible to know for sure, but it may well be that a sub-standard batch found its way out the back door of the factory and into a container bound for the UK.

In such a case they might look identical to name brand ones, and just differ by having the casting made from the wrong alloy or some such issue...

Neil

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 20:51:02

I've exchanged messages with Andrew.

It's better that someone takes a break leaving the door open, than they hang around to get wound up even more and storm out slamming the door shut.

I'm convinced the hot sweaty weather combined with the confrontations to be seen in public life wherever you look these days are making us all less easy going.

Neil

Thread: lost thread
18/07/2019 20:46:08

That would suggest one of the mods has had to be busy tidying up... again.

Neil

Ah - crossed post with Jason.

First time posters often re-post their messages when they don't appear due to waiting for moderation. We generally delete duplicates.

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 18/07/2019 21:00:00

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
18/07/2019 20:44:44
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 18/07/2019 14:18:33:
Posted by Farmboy on 18/07/2019 10:12:31:

Anyone know what they're for ? dont know

I suspect that they are 'for' the purpose of making money for someone ... but I'm not aware of the mechanism.

MichaelG.

In 2007 a survey demonstrated that the 'pile of poo emoji' was the most useful one:

💩

The curious reason for this is that in Japan the word for a pile of poo is a pun on good luck. To the point where you can wish someone good luck by giving them a golden poo ornament.

However, it's now languishing some way down the real time emoji use list.

This isn't a joke, just a reminder that something we find bewildering may have a completly different significance in another culture.

Neil

Thread: ROY FROM WIGAN NEW MEMBER
17/07/2019 19:44:37

Welcome to the Forum, Roy,

Neil

Thread: Remembering Apollo 11
17/07/2019 19:42:30

And the Anniversary Eclipse last night (I wonder how they arranged this!)

17/07/2019 19:41:10
Posted by derek hall 1 on 17/07/2019 08:22:29:

One other thing can you imagine the frustration of this event being behind a pay wall/pay for view i.e. sky, and not being able to witness live this massive event in human history?

While there are no doubt things to criticise about American media, it is striking that EVERYTHING that NASA puts out is in the public domain. You can make any use of NASA imagery you want, from Apollo landings to Hubble images, as long as you acknowledge the source.

Neil

Thread: Hello All from Dublin - Del
17/07/2019 19:29:39

Welcome to the forum, Del.

Neil

Thread: Aldi bargain laser level
17/07/2019 19:28:47
Posted by RMA on 15/07/2019 23:27:58:

Neil makes a comment about my username,,,,why? It's not a posting.

Just humorously pointing out the irony ..

But the forum seems to have had something of a humour bypass. There seems to be something in the air these days.

Neil

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
17/07/2019 19:22:34

Helps to see those graphs in a wider context. Rapid short-term change in temperature isn't hugely unusual. Sustained large-scale increase is:

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 19:00:44

I guess that if you are a young person from a minority of any kind, seeing yourself reflected in an emoji is a positive thing.

Neil

17/07/2019 18:55:50

before we bemoan the collapse of civilisation, bear in mind that the only people who use 'text speak' (or 'L33T as she is officially known) these days are old farts moaning about the collapse of civilisation.

No credible person below the sage of 35 would be seen dead using txt spk.

Neil

Thread: ALDI Printer Problem
16/07/2019 16:57:04

My printer has a Mk8 hot end, modified with a simple 'flexible filament guide' that bridges the gap between rollers and the tube. This has the side effect that broken filament in the extruder can be pushed out by a new piece

Now I NEVER remove the filament backwards - russian roulette for it getting stuck.

Instead I cut it square and feed through until the rollers start 'missing'. I can then feed a new filament through, about 50mm is enough to change colours.

Neil

Thread: Best way to cut HSS tool blanks from bar?
16/07/2019 16:53:08

I use a dremel to cut a grove right round, put in vice, cover with cloth and tap firmly with a hammer.

Thread: Yet another "parting off grief" thread ;)
16/07/2019 15:12:41

I agree, a parting tool that 'stiffens up' as you get near the centre are usually too high. If you are feeding but not getting swarf, always stop as something is not right.

Drills are not always dead straight and don't have sharply pointed ends.

Neil

Thread: Remembering Apollo 11
16/07/2019 15:10:31

I was six at teh time of the Apollo 11 mission, but I remember many of the events in that week - and standing on the doorstep staring up at the moon.

I just watched the launch in 'real time' (+50 years) at apolloinrealtime.org/11/

What's your normal heart rate? And what does it go to when you are under stress...?

" This is Apollo Control at 36 minutes. That's the end of the tape. We have a report on the launch heart rates now from the Flight Surgeon. Commander, Neil Armstrong's heart rate 110, Command Module Pilot, Mike Collins 99, Lunar Module Pilot, Buzz Aldrin 88. These compare with their first Gemini flights, their first liftoff back in the Gemini program. Armstrong's heart rate was 146 at that time, Collins was 125, Aldrin was 110. "

Thread: Aircraft radio scanner
16/07/2019 13:25:42

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 16/07/2019 10:29:52:

The forum is more like engineers chatting informally in a bar than engineers organising for work, and that can be irritating.

Wait a moment - the Pot is searching out its Kettle Colour Chart...

Neil

16/07/2019 13:24:16
Posted by RMA on 16/07/2019 09:46:03:
However, why is this post on a model engineering forum? I have an aircraft scanner but not that interested in how it works, but I saw the title and clicked on it. Surely there's a more appropriate forum.

It's for users of the forum to decide what other things they wish to discuss - this is pretty much the way of any successful internet forum.

People with a main interest in common often share many other interests, so space is provided for them to discuss 'off topic' issues.

In this case, the thread is in the 'Tea Room' but as a point of fact Model Engineer has carried over 360 articles on radio related topics over the years so it's perfectly legitimate subject for this forum.

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Warco
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest