By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Alternative Lathe that would fit Myford Ind cabinet for a long bed
19/11/2019 19:34:27
Posted by Robert Bailey 1 on 19/11/2019 17:11:25:

Thanks Bill

Around £900

Not enough for an SC4.

Might be worth looking at a SC3 brushless mini lathe, although it might look a bit 'lost' on that stand, aside from the gap it has similar capacity to the ML7.

If you really like the idea of an ML7 consider either getting it refurbished (900 should be enough for a bed regrind and getting in an expert to set it up, but you may have to do a lot of other jobs on it).

OR sell it, either being honest about condition or even breaking for parts(!)

THEN buy an ML7 in good condition, £900 plus the proceeds should get you a nice ML7 with plenty of accessories if you know what you are looking for in a secondhand machine.

Neil

Thread: Parting off tools for 102 lathe
19/11/2019 19:29:01

Probably 3mm for a lathe that size, but in an ideal world having both is nice.

Neil

Thread: Holding 18 gauge brass wire when cutting thread with a die
19/11/2019 19:25:08

Ironically you probably want the hardest brass you can get if trying to cut small threads - and a nice 'fresh' die.

Neil

Thread: Cutting plastic on Sherline lathe
19/11/2019 19:23:56

Just to underline that - as sharp as possible and expect it to blunt surprisingly quickly if HSS.

Neil

Thread: Hello from the Lake District
19/11/2019 19:21:45

Welcome to the forum Mark,

Neil

Thread: Cold Blue
19/11/2019 19:20:40

I used to have some Jenolite(?) Koldblak/Koolblak(?) gel in a tube, it worked well on steel and less well on brass. I used it to black the brass chanins for my crane and found I had to leave the chain to soak for several hours, but they still look black.

Neil

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
19/11/2019 19:15:39

All you neat storage buffs put me to shame!

Not today, but yesterday, went hillwalking just north of Calander, managed eight miles and had unbelievable still, clear weather so despite it being very cold, I still worked up a sweat at times!

Just went up a big hill, not those lovely Trossachy bits at the back!

Thread: Who invented the elastic band?
15/11/2019 18:32:12
Posted by pgk pgk on 15/11/2019 18:24:17:

There used to e CB radio user called Lucy Lastic. She might know.

pgk

Thank goodness for that.

Usually a sensible question gets lots of daft answers, so this time a silly question got lots fo serious ones!

Neil

Thread: Aluminium welding
15/11/2019 16:46:30

Google Alutite, there are alternatives but I find Alutite works well, you can use a steel plate to blank a through hole and fill it from above.

I've used it for joining and repairs.

Neil

Thread: Holding a 90mm optical tube to a rectangular bracket.
15/11/2019 14:13:30
Posted by Mick B1 on 04/11/2019 20:11:25:

8. mounted and set~2.jpg

Possibly worth pointing out that standard dovetails, as fitted to the larger scope, normally have two raised, rounded rails which makes it possible to fit them to a large range of diameters.

Neil

15/11/2019 14:06:15
Posted by andrew lyner on 14/11/2019 22:46:36:

I guess I could make a fitting for the cross slide with T slots but that would be hard, I think. Is there anything available on the market?

You can get small milling tables. The one here you could cut off the lugs and use a some counterbored cap head screws to fit it on top of the cross slide.

Alternative would be a vertical slide mounted along the axis of the lathe.

Neil

Thread: MEW renewal problems
14/11/2019 20:13:23
Posted by David Healey 2 on 13/11/2019 21:34:42:

Hi I am a newby,

I am trying to buy a subscription (digital) for the magazine and like others above encountered this "do not supply to your part of the world" message.

Please tell me what the fix is,

Dave

Gold Coast Australia

Hi Dave,

It is critical to select 'REST OF WORLD' at the very first stage.

I just went through the system with made up details and an Australian address and got to the payment part with no problems.

Neil

Thread: evening course
14/11/2019 20:08:06
Posted by Philip Beckett 1 on 13/11/2019 10:06:07:

Hello folks, i have read a few times lately that there is a lack of evening courses in local colleges, you might like to know that we have a course called "Open Access" here are MET Northbrook in Worthing Sussex. It runs as an evening course and is open to anyone who wants to use or learn mechanical machining. It is shown under the Adult & Continuing Learning heading on the web-site. Hope this helps anyone who is having difficulty accessing such facilities. I personally am using it to build a 5" gauge Terrier at present. You can alway contact me if you would like to know more.

Thanks for drawing attention to this course Philip.

Curious how mentioning a course largely generates complaints there aren't any...

Neil

Thread: New member in Northumberland
14/11/2019 19:54:23

Welcome to the forum Alex!

Neil

Thread: Wobble and Morse taper
14/11/2019 19:53:40

Should be OK, as it 'pushes' into the work with no way to grab like a drill or milling cutter.

Neil

Thread: New member in Northumberland
14/11/2019 19:53:32

Welcome to the forum Alex!

Neil

Thread: Boring bar with inserts shape choice??
13/11/2019 17:36:59

Posted by Chris TickTock on 13/11/2019 11:10:34:

I am stil researching what cutter to use for what type of hole

For a blind hole, end facing is required.

I have a through hole ones (strictly the bought one is both with an angled HSS insert at the through end and a 45-degree one at the blind end).

In simple terms the through hole one has a shorter protrusion so is more rigid = heavier cuts. The cost of this is it can't reach the bottom of a blind hole.

A third type is between centres, the use of which should be obvious from the name, very rigid but obviously requires a through hole it fits through and the work mounted on the saddle or its various slides.

Neil

Thread: Record 25 vice handle
13/11/2019 17:28:19
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 13/11/2019 15:53:32:

I have put up with the s shaped kink in the Record vice handle for long enough.

I thought they came like that

Neil

Thread: Boring bar with inserts shape choice??
12/11/2019 19:51:43

For a 10mm blind hole a good boring bar solution is to grind away half the thickness of a 6mm or 1/4" HSS bar, angle the end at about 10-15 degrees, slightly round the corner (in top view only).

Mount in a drilled 8mm block, split along one side so tightening it in the toolpost clamps it. Shim up centre of bar to slightly below centre height and angle it so the tip is dead on centre heigh and the bar is at about 5 degrees to the lathe centre line.

Alternatively, get some 10mm silver steel and grind and harden your own d-bit and use it to finish the hole.

Neil

Thread: Loctite
12/11/2019 19:44:11

There are lots of reasons for 'shelf life' other than product degradation. These include making sure stock is used in rotation, making sure new formulations replace old ones, helping traceability.

For 'critical applications' the product will have been tested to ensure it still works at the end of its shelf life; this doesn't mean it ceases to work after two years and a day, just that it hasn't been tested for a longer shelf life so it can't be guaranteed to still work.

I note that a similar shelf life applies to medicines but experts are at pains to make clear that in an emergency an out-of date asthma inhaler is better than nothing at all (for example).

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest