By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Covid causing mental health issues.
29/09/2020 12:38:59
Posted by not done it yet on 28/09/2020 18:42:35:

Mental health. Much like obesity - it just did not happen in world war II (lets not include shell-shock trauma sufferers).

I'm not sure that's true at all.

My mum was born in 1939 and all her life she got freaked out by sirens.

A sample of one, perhaps, but...

Neil

Thread: Copper Plaque Identification
29/09/2020 12:35:50

Try Companies House and look for old companies...

Chadwicks (Liverpool) 1938

I'll let you search for the remainder of the 3,521 whose names don't start with 'Chadwick'.

Neil

Thread: Cheap Milling Vice Question
28/09/2020 11:49:19
Posted by Circlip on 27/09/2020 12:50:52:

Can't see how "C of C" has been contravened

That's because the contravention was edited out.

Neil

Thread: 2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition
27/09/2020 15:37:47

Just a reminder to vote if you haven't already.

It's very easy - look at the entries, and at the end click your favourite on a list.

It's all anonymous although there are automatic checks to stop double votes.

Neil

26/09/2020 20:38:58

Can we be careful discussion of the covid app doesn't stray into politics.

Plenty of other places online to make your view known on that subject!

Neil

Thread: Moving Photos
26/09/2020 19:15:05

The reason you can't move images is that it would 'break' any posts that the images have been embedded in.

Neil

Thread: Unusual Project
26/09/2020 18:57:34
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/09/2020 14:22:06:

On a happier note Burt Rutan designed and built an asymmetric aircraft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutan_Boomerang

The late JS's Debs was good at hiding her light under a bushel. She built a plane to a Rutan design, flew it across the Atlantic in both directions and I understand it's now in the museum at Oshkosh.

Neil

26/09/2020 18:52:38
Posted by JasonB on 26/09/2020 13:27:52:

Looks good Neil though did I spot an engine fire or twowink

That's the tachyon drive for you...

26/09/2020 11:57:52

Here we go, I hope Jason approves of the panel lines!

Thread: Quality Problems With the Sieg sx2.7
26/09/2020 09:38:50

Hi Nir,

I haven't gt involved as between Jason and Ketan there is little they don't know about these machines, if anything.

What I would add, by way of background, is that more than once we have had posters who have got very flummoxed about the accuracy of their machines when the underlying cause has been something quite simple: examples include poorly adjusted spindle bearings, loose gibs and not appreciating that a relatively light machine will inevitably flex when the table is moved fully from one side to the other.

It's helpful to see and understand exactly how a test is carried out because there are many variables involved.

You mention adjusting the gibs ' Which gave about 0.05mm movement in the x and y.' Assuming that is 'play' measured somewhere it sounds excessive, and that much side to side movement would be enough to allow the able to shift or tilt out of being square to the column. Without seeing how you made that measurement, it's not really possible to understand if this is an issue or not.

I'm not trying to criticise, just to explain some of the hazards of trying to understand such measurement at a distance. Very often, ten minutes spent with the machine could replace hours of headscratching on line!

Neil

Thread: fly cutter wear
25/09/2020 21:40:42
Posted by Philip Burley on 25/09/2020 15:43:42:

I have borrowed a rev counter , the slowest speed my mill will run is 250 , which looks a bit fast compared with Martin's video So maybe thats my problem

Phik

You also appear to be cutting at a larger diameter, can you reduce it?

Neil

Thread: What sort of light source to use a strobe disc?
25/09/2020 14:39:24

Of course anyone who still has a filament bulb handy can do the test for themselves...

I just looked up 'blub smash slow mo' on you tube and in the first example you can clearly see the reflection of the filament (the filament itself is over exposed) pulsing at mains frequency. It doesn't go out but dims noticeably.

Neil

25/09/2020 14:32:35
Posted by Hopper on 25/09/2020 12:25:00:

And yet there is a definite correlation between IQ and income, confirmed by multiple studies. Those with higher IQ tend to have higher incomes over a lifetime, as a general trend. So IQ tests must measure something of practical use in life other than just the ability to take IQ tests.

They tend to be biased in favour of people who are good at written tests, and as we use written tests to measure ability in other areas it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

They have found results are also affected by cultural bias; give people tests that reflect their culture (e.g. when matching or differentiating symbols, those we are so used to may not be as easily recognised elsewhere). It's an effect found in other areas the South/East Asian pre-eminence at mathematics is thought by some to be routed in the complexity of growing rice rather than wheat.

Neil

Thread: Bent woodworking lather spindle
25/09/2020 14:19:00

Moved to the other thread to avoid duplication.

Please try not to ask the same question in two threads, it gets confusing!

Neil

Thread: Warco Rotary Table - Can anybody give feedback please?
25/09/2020 14:15:27

I have one, have had it for a while. It's seems very good value for money, it is VERY big, so I haven't made a great deal of use of it over my home made one, which is rather smaller, but useful for bigger jobs that just fit on my mill!

Note the link Michael G gives above.

Neil

Thread: fly cutter wear
24/09/2020 21:54:21

It's very easy to run a fly cutter too fast.

If that's a 4" radius it ideally needs to run at around 100rpm in mild steel, that's less than two cuts per second so feed has to be VERY slow.

Thread: Quality Control ?
24/09/2020 21:48:04
Posted by J Hancock on 24/09/2020 16:57:52:

You've just touched another 'rant' I have.

Only last week I dropped a can of Carling lager as I was taking it out of the 'fridge'.

A millisecond later it was passing my ear on the way to the ceiling , propelled by a jet of Carling coming out of the ring pull area.

As confirmed by the 'air accident ' investigation afterwards.

My do they have that ring pull area controlled to fine ' just ok' limits.

Serves you right for drinking fizzy lager instead of nice warm, flat beer!

cheeky

.N.

Thread: What sort of light source to use a strobe disc?
24/09/2020 21:32:04

And this graph from Wikipedia gives an explanation:

Basically at ~100Hz you need only a very low depth of modulation between bright and dark(er) for the effect to be visible.

More at: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroboscopic_effect

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 24/09/2020 21:32:16

24/09/2020 21:27:36

Despite all the scepticism, back in the '70s my Dad had printed card discs that were used to check the speed of record turntables.

They worked under a filament lamp but were best with some fluorescents - depending on the persistence of the phosphor I guess.

It's nothing to do with superhuman vision. Persistence of vision actually helps the effect.

Neil

Thread: Hello to exisiting forum members
24/09/2020 19:32:14

Welcome to the forum, Peter.

I have one of the first X2s to reach the UK. Somewhat modified but still going strong after about 18 years!

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest