By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: stamford show vandals
20/05/2019 22:44:41

Let's not get political.

I'll just say that the best way to identify a civilised society is that it doesn't sink to the level of those that seek to undermine it.

I felt pretty uncomfortable seeing photos of crowds with signs saying 'Hang Asia Bibi' I am equally uncomfortable if those suggesting similar levels of punishment for the layout wreckers are serious.

Great hurt has been done to those whose work has been destroyed, and many of us feel like this is an attack on outr hobby by young people who don't understand or even mock us for 'playing trains'. But that doesn't give us licence to lash out.

Here's a suggestion, I know it might be hard for the club, but perhaps one good use for some of the donations would be to establish a model railway club at the school. Not for the perpetrators, but for their peers.

Neil

20/05/2019 18:28:10
Posted by Samsaranda on 20/05/2019 15:38:58:

As soon as the supervisor left the site the petrol was poured away and those remaining then focussed their attention on trying to break into the church to find something worth stealing.

This is very sad. I saw a group of 'young adults' doing community service at an allotments. They had cleared a whole box-back transit load of rubbish and their banter appeared to suggest they were actually pleased with what they'd done. Probably because the supervisor was treating them like they were doing a useful job.

I imagine this is the sort of thing that has been hit by the problems with probation services.

Neil

Thread: Cutting a worm?
20/05/2019 10:57:20

An involute form will be strongest, and acme worm will demand very weak teeth on the worm wheel to allow clearance.

Neil

Thread: stamford show vandals
20/05/2019 10:42:55

This is a particularly offensive act because we can all empathise with the horror and despair of the people whose work has been destroyed.

It's easy to forget worse crimes happen, because this is so close to our own interests.

We know nothing about the perpetrators and why they did it, or what else they have or have not done. The punishment should be sufficient to show others that such behaviour won't be tolerated by our society, but ultimately this was 'damage to property' and as such it carries a maximum sentence of ten years. If first offenders and/or young teenagers the sentence is likely to be less as it will be proportionate to acts like physical assault, theft or sexual assault.

As Mike says the real aim needs to be making sure this doesn't turn into the start of a criminal career for the idiots who did it. They might have lists of ASBOs as long as your arm, or more likely they may be idiots who started with a prank and it got out of control. They may not all be equally culpable, and they may have mental health issues. It's easy to be angry; if someone destroyed my models I would be angry but I'd be far angrier if some assaulted a loved one.

Mostly, I hope the club are able to give victim statements, and given support beyond just a pile of cash.

I suspect this act is not unrelated to the decline in services for young people that also appears to be influencing violent crime in this age group. The real question isn't 'what do we do with the offenders?' but 'what does this tell us about our society?'

Neil

Thread: Grizzly Beers
19/05/2019 22:05:29

Cheers folks, it went surprisingly well!

Grizzly Beers

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 19/05/2019 22:06:46

19/05/2019 10:15:30

If anyone wants to see the editor of MEW as you've never seen him before (or at least since 1995...) come to Nottingham Rowing Club (the legendary Boathouse) for 4pm to see the Grizzly Beers in concert

grizzlybeers..jpg

Five new bands of random musicians between 3 and 8-ish, £5 on the door, all welcome.

After the great success of last years Abbey Road Army gig we are dropping you a reminder that ARA Take 2 is happening this month!

Gig is on Sunday 19th May. at the Boat Club.

• First act will go on around 2.30 pm.
  • Yes the 'bar' will be open!
  • Social Media - Tell Everybody!
  • Under 10’s go in free.

Other than that the entry is £5 per person on the door where a large gentlemen will take the money and hand stamps will be in place. Please bring cash as we don't have a card machine!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
19/05/2019 10:08:03

You are Bob Clampett and I Claim My Five UK Pounds

Thread: Adept and Super Adept Register
19/05/2019 10:04:48

I feel a great deal of guilt - all my Super Adept needs is mounting on a base with its motor and countershaft and setting up.

Ideally I also need to finesse the tumbler reverse.

Neil

Thread: 1938 Aveling DX Road Roller
18/05/2019 22:11:34

Rule of thumb for glow engines, which also apply to many others:

If it runs for a brief time and slows to a stop then mixture too rich. Exhaust smells of fuel.

If it runs fast or speeds up then dies, then mixture too lean. Often takes several attempts to start.

Neil

Thread: Interesting??
18/05/2019 22:03:50

youtube is full of faked perpetual motion machines.

The world is full of the gullible who want to believe in flat earths, faked moon landings and anything that breaks the 'dogma' of science.

N.

Thread: Blurred picture
18/05/2019 21:58:43

Sadly some pics are beyond correction and retouching, but if you need them for an article to make sense and it's not possible to have them retaken you just have to do your best.

As club news uses pictures form newsletters they are often low-res to start with.

Neil

Thread: Alan Turin?
18/05/2019 21:54:24

Oh dear... I just opened this thread because I thought the title was misspelled.

Alan Turin was his Italian cousin.

N.

Thread: Nickel Plating Brass
18/05/2019 12:40:37

Must get around to silver soldering then replating the various banjo parts I shared a year or several ago...

Neil

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
17/05/2019 18:35:19

I don't think anyone has mentioned the tip of using a square of emery cloth, abrasive down, between drill and pilot hole.

It wears a matching taper on the hole before the drill cuts through, at which point it can now get a good start.

Thread: Natural gas for TIG welding
17/05/2019 18:31:38
Posted by John Rutzen on 17/05/2019 17:54:13:

Hi, I just bought 80 sifbronze rods 330mm long on eBay for £11. I was wondering if I could use it with borax flux and propane for brazing small bits of steel.

Should do, sifbronze is just bordinary spelter as I understand it and curly used to use it for everything with a petrol blowtorch (ow!)

Thread: ME Vertical Boiler
17/05/2019 16:26:49

yes

Thread: aching ribs - posture
17/05/2019 11:49:44

I have stools of different heights in my workshop. Unfortunately they are usually being used for storage... but I have a cleanup scheduled for Saturday

Thread: Long time reader, newly joined
15/05/2019 21:23:40

Welcome to the forum, DC

Neil

Thread: Antique Steam Engine from Doorknob
15/05/2019 21:23:02

Hello Michael,

That really is unusual - more photos!

Neil

Thread: Door knob collar
15/05/2019 21:21:08

Plenty of look-alike brass doorknobs out there...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale May 19
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest