By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oddball inverter
12/04/2021 11:33:30

The inverter may have a power readout mode. If you can get it to do this, then the information will be helpful. It (obviously) should be less than the total power going in to the inverter and more than the power at the spindle.

If operating under good condition you should see an efficiency approaching about 90% at each stage, so the motor output should ideally be 'approaching' ~80%.

Then there's the losses in the machine, it seems excessive for that much power to disappear in the mechanical drive train, and a few tens of watts should be enough to make a small lathe noticeably warm.

Thread: Winson Pug 0-4-0
11/04/2021 23:58:40

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's fair to say the Winson kits of that era have something of a reputation for needing fettling to achieve good running.

Someone with experience of this kit should be along soon.

Neil

Thread: (bicycle) thread identification?
11/04/2021 23:55:21

Camera tripod threads are deliberately made sloppy so that you can use either BSW or UNC.

The original standards were 1/4" and 3/8" BSW , but these days it is technically UNC for photo tripods.

In most of the world (outside the USA) 1/4" and 3/8" BSW are the standard for microphone stands.

Cameras you are usually OK, but I have had nominally matching microphone stand/adaptor/holder threads that are just too tight to do up correctly or comically (annoyingly) loose, apparently at random.

Neil

Thread: Gas Fitting
11/04/2021 23:47:43

Possibly it depends how good your nose is for gas leaks

I've twice detected leaks in the open air. The first one I assumed was my imagination, or a smelly central heating flue. Then after about a year a gas crew were fixing it.

Next time I smelled gas (in another town) I called the emergency line and within a few hours it was all fenced off and dug up the next day.

Neil

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
11/04/2021 23:42:36

And as you have time on your hands, try googling: "how to bypass hp printer cartridge error"

Its somewhere in the settings, I think it's illegal for them to make it impossible to use refills or compatible cartridges.

Neil

11/04/2021 23:39:42

I hpe you recover fully and soon, Nigel.

Neil

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
11/04/2021 21:16:46

I looked out my grandfather's album from HMS Repulse's royal tour for my Dad the other day. In the same suitcase we found some pictures of my dad when he was a trials (and other competitions) rider, these are just quick phone pics my brother took, we will get decent scans done.

Trial riding on board his Greeves - check out that front suspension!

dad 1.jpg

Scrambling - he's the one cutting the corner

dad 2.jpg

ACU 'sweatshirt'!

dad 3.jpg

Thread: Face Knurling...
11/04/2021 21:07:42
Posted by JasonB on 11/04/2021 19:52:43:

From Jon's earlier posts I think it's for a push bike.

It might be a mountain bike ... in which case may be stressed more than a road motorcycle...

Neil

Thread: Bandsaw - wood and metal ?
11/04/2021 20:34:10

The ideal world is one of each - possibly cheaper than buying a VFD and less hassle blade changing

Otherwise, as suggested above a metal cutting one you can put in 'upright' mode. Plus if you get stuck, it's easier to handsaw through a sleeper than through a 2" metal bar! (Voice of experience).

Neil

Thread: My version of Potty Mill engine
11/04/2021 20:30:22

Nice job, David.

Next decision - to paint or not to paint?

Neil

Thread: Pattern making using 3D printing
11/04/2021 20:28:48

Hi Luker,

I was impressed by your article in ME. You've had some really good results.

The only thoughts I had were that if you dig around in the settings in Cura (or whatever slicer you use) you should can adjust for any shrinkage to get accurate sized parts. You could even create a profile that prints oversize for patterns automatically.

The other is nozzles I buy them in packs of ten (they are very cheap) and I've only rarely had a duff one - you may have been unlucky. I treat them as consumables as brass ones wear quite fast.

Neil

Thread: Source of 2 inch balls for water pump
09/04/2021 13:26:14

The original balls have lasted sixty years... doesn't that suggest that wooden balls might be good replacements that also won't harm the valve seats?

Neil

Thread: The Moon
03/04/2021 23:55:22

Well done Steve, I started my astrophotography journey using Nikon bridge cameras. You'll find that video will (as suggested above) stack well. With the P1000 you ought to try videoing (or taking a couple of dozen photos at least) the planets and stacking them. Even my P560 could show saturn's rings.

All taken with a Nikon bridge camera and stacked then combined into one image:

Thread: Are we being listened to on the phone
03/04/2021 23:50:40

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49585682

Reassuring?

Or not?

Google certainly has a horrid habit of deciding I am 'into' a subject because I search for it and maybe follow a suggested link.

It ends up sending me so many suggestions on a subject that I block it, even though I am interested in it. Currently, it thinks I am obsessed with painting and decorating - I am, but I don't want to read arti8cles about it, I'm just looking for good deals.

I looked up a couple of recipes for bread, months ago, and for weeks it was sending me recipe suggestions.

Thread: Magnetic bases - stored on or off?
03/04/2021 23:42:25

Mine came with instructions that said turn it 'off' (when not attached to anything) as this places a keeper across the magnets (and this is why it doesn't stick).

If left attached to a machine bed etc. then you can leave it 'on'.

Thread: Steel Rule Graduations Re-Blacking
03/04/2021 23:40:26

The traditional material is gunge from the swarf tray...

Neil

Thread: Astronomy talks
03/04/2021 23:26:57

I'll try and take a look, but I tend to find such large collections a bit overwhelming.

Thread: SC4 Lathe chuck and Headstock size
03/04/2021 23:23:22

I wish I could help Joe, but my lathe is 150 miles away in a container (not in the Suez canal...)

It's a 4" centre height, a 4" chuck is very comfortable, a 5" slimline chuck would probably be OK.

I use a 4" chuck on my CLM300 (C3-type).

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 03/04/2021 23:25:14

Thread: Tea Spoons
24/03/2021 20:02:59

Has anyone put aluminium (no-anodised) through a dishwasher?

I'm thinking of camping pans etc.

Apparently the unpleasant dark grey colour is healthier as it renders the aluminium less soluble.

24/03/2021 20:00:46

A few squirts of kitchen bleach spray in water removes tannin stains gently enough.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest