By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fabricating Coil Bobbins
18/09/2018 01:15:26

Core!

Sorry Nick....

Thread: new boy
17/09/2018 23:47:24

John Stevenson had a very high regard for Little John Lathes.

Some of his stories about the make can be found here

In the end they were bought out by Myford.

N.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
17/09/2018 18:25:01
Posted by Lathejack on 17/09/2018 17:04:41:

I wonder what smokey old two stroke he is riding.

Thread: DOL starter switch
17/09/2018 18:22:07

I've added the word 'photographs' to both to make it more obvious.

Neil

17/09/2018 18:20:27

Hi Clogs.

Click all topics.

Choose the top of the list:

Website FAQ's
Information about where to put postings, etiquette, and general guidance. Information on posting classified adverts.

Then choose the top of the next list:

STICKY: How To Post Pictures and Create Albums
The definitive guide? By Neil Wyatt

Neil

Thread: Recommended plastic to clad a lean-to workshop
17/09/2018 16:45:56
Posted by Trevor Drabble on 17/09/2018 13:35:24:

c_b . Given the properties of the various materials you will be using , what fire prevention measures will you be installing please ? Trevor .

uPVC is inherently fire resistant due to the chlorine content, certainly less flammable than a wooden shed.

Don't breathe the fumes if you do try to burn it though, it gives off hydrochloric acid fumes.

Neil

17/09/2018 16:43:27
Posted by pgk pgk on 17/09/2018 12:49:17:

my upvc shed

cam00243.jpg

Try all you like, but I'm afraid that tractor just isn't going to fit through the door

Neil

Thread: New member, old-ish but keen.
17/09/2018 16:42:11

Welcome to the forum Andrew.

Neil

Thread: Owner of cast iron seeks knowledge
17/09/2018 16:39:16

Welcome to the forum Ian,

Good luck with the concrete!

Neil

Thread: Cura 3.4.1
17/09/2018 16:38:02

Posted by Andrew Johnston on 17/09/2018 07:55:49:

new computer with W7

Tsk!

Windows 10 Version 1803 here

@Steve - I always print using a CF card to avoid any issues (like hibernating the computer mid-print).

Neil

Thread: First Thoughts on Anodising
17/09/2018 16:34:54

I was boring an eyepiece adaptor out to take 1.25" eyepieces. When I got to just over 31.75mm a piece of 1 1/4" tube would just fit, but my collimator with a body made of the same tube, anodised, wouldn't. I was taking sub 0.01mm cuts to creep up on when it would just fit without force.

Of course now I've anodised the adaptor the collimator may not fit - but not important as it seem EPs are generally a few thou undersize while the 'sockets' are generally dead to size. Odd as usually shafts are to size and the hole adjusted to give the required fit.

Neil

Thread: What has happened to fly spray?
17/09/2018 16:29:17

I use a 18" long fly swat (non-electric) but I've got so much practice this year I can now grab mosquitos out of the air with my hand. (shades of Kung Fu - Ah! Grasshopper...)

Neil

Thread: Cleaning castings by hand
17/09/2018 16:25:04

To be fair, 'challenging' but not impossible is perhaps a reasonable reply.

Even just a pillar drill will make a significant difference, not least with boring the cylinder to size.

O-rings might make up for the fits of stock materials in drilled holes.

Neil

17/09/2018 09:34:10
Posted by Brian G on 17/09/2018 05:53:30:

Electric fly swat from Poundland - the thrill of the chase (and the basis of an electrostatic flocking device).

Brian

I looked up the part number for the spark generator I have put aside for an IC engine. It came up as for fly swatters.

To be honest, if you've ever seen a field full of dried up cowpats or noticed that your windscreen doesn't get coated in dead flies any more I'm surprised we get any of these pests at all...

I suspect houseflies, mosquitos and midges live in habitats (wetlands and bins) away from most of the nasty pesticides, while bees, butterflies and hoverflies (etc.) are more vulnerable.

Nei

Thread: First Thoughts on Anodising
17/09/2018 09:29:19

I think hard anodising may require a bit more sophistication for success. That said I'm sure it possible.

But also ordinary anodising will be fine for a pulley.

I'm thinking of anodising the pulley I made for my mill, but just as bling, not to make it work better

Neil

16/09/2018 22:05:15

Remember the yellow Vapona blocks?

I suspect generations of farmers suffering the disintegration of their nervous systems caused by sheep dip etc. has had a knock on effect on home pesticides.

This year we have had a total plague of mosquitos, as in one day stopped counting at fifty bites. We still have a few coming in the house.

I did have an experiment with the flea spray for dog beds etc. in the bathroom (someone left the light on and window open after dark). I came back ten minutes later and the bath was full of little bodies...

Neil

Thread: Proxxon PD 400
16/09/2018 19:40:04

Thanks Michael!

Thread: Adept and Super Adept Register
16/09/2018 19:39:34

surprise

Maybe someone wanted the chuck...

Thread: Arc
16/09/2018 16:46:12
Posted by JasonB on 16/09/2018 16:23:40:

Yes lets keep it to the thread heading or I will have to start clicking my delete button, all that Neil's faultdevil

Indeed... stupid to think I could make a joke without someone taking it as licence...

I think I'll lock this as it will just keep going otherwise. The original point has been answered long ago.

Neil

Thread: Boring bar size
16/09/2018 15:25:36

Update... I fitted the QCTP.

The S10K-SCLSR06 boring bar works very well.

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 5
Eccentric July 5 2018
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
SPG Tools October Seventeen
ChesterUK
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest