By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: contact a buyer
25/03/2019 18:56:37

Hi Mr Lee,

I'm afraid I can't help.

It may just be that they are a bit sluggish at responding to emails.

Neil

Thread: Heads up! Granite discs, 2, B&Q.
25/03/2019 18:54:33

Another idea is to contact a kitchen fitter and see if they have any offcuts of epoxy/granite composite worktop (e.g. the bit cut out for a sink)

Neil

Thread: Super adept on ebay
24/03/2019 22:09:20

Someone recently posted who was making things with an Adept.

JS was firmly of the view that using an Adept when you could have a much more capable small modern lathe for not much was like wearing a hair shirt.

What he didn't tell many people was that his first lathe was an Adept, and he had owned two in the depths of time

They are crude, imprecise and liable to rapid wear if not lubricated, but quite capable of being used.

The four-jaw chucks, ironically, are little jewels

Neil

Thread: Mini lathe
24/03/2019 21:57:27

Hi Arckivio

If you are lucky, the motor has just worn down the brushes - this causes dramatic sparking, uneven running and can even damage control boards (I've had it destroy a washing machine control board...)

If you are unlucky, the motor has shorted or burnt out one or more armature windings.

Don't use the motor until you have cleaned the commutator of any carbon dust and fitted new brushes. This is very easy to do and can miraculously rejuvenate a poorly running motor.

There's a good chance your original control board may be OK too.

Neil

Thread: 2019 Stevenson Trophy
21/03/2019 15:39:38

A large number of readers and forum members contributed to a trophy in memory of John Stevenson to be “Awarded for Excellence in Practical and Useful Workshop Equipment”. In 2018 after a vote by forum embers the trophy was awarded to John Ashton.

This year we are simplifying the competition process. Any reader or forum member may enter their own work. A short list will then be prepared by the organisers, so that award of the cup can be judged by a popular vote. Voting will be via a poll on the forum and open to all.

The winner will be announced and awarded the John Stevenson Trophy at the National Model Engineering Exhibition in Doncaster in May 2019.

Entries must be emailed to neil.wyatt@mytimemedia.com no later than 20 April 2019.

Naturally, we have to have some formal rules for the competition, these are:

All entries must be a piece of practical workshop equipment i.e. a tool, jig, fixture or a modification to or accessory for an existing piece of equipment. One entry per person.

All entries to the competition must be your own work (commercial parts are allowable) and not have been entered to the competition before.

A short list of entries will be selected by the competition organisers, a group of people who knew John and are familiar with his views on workshop equipment.

Criteria for inclusion on the shortlist will be that the tooling is practical and capable of being used for accurate work in a home workshop setting. It should demonstrate ingenuity, good design, economical use of materials and be appropriately finished for its function.

By entering you confirm your permission to feature the entry in the magazines or on the forum. If practical, you will be invited to display your entry at the National Model Engineering Exhibition in Doncaster.

The winner will be selected by a popular vote by forum members. Readers who join the forum in order to vote will be allowed to do so. Voting will be strictly one vote per person.

In the event that the judges consider invalid votes have been cast or that an attempt has been made to unduly influence the result of the vote any questionable votes will be disregarded or entries may be disqualified.

The trophy will remain the property of the competition organisers. The winner will take responsibility for ensuring safekeeping of the trophy until the next exhibition. The trophy must be returned in good condition, in the supplied packaging, in good time for award to the winner of the subsequent competition.

The winner may arrange for their name and the year of the award to be professionally engraved on the base of the trophy at their own cost.

No alternative prizes, cash payments or awards will be made. In all matters relating to the competition, decisions made by the organisers are final.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
21/03/2019 10:44:21
Posted by Terry Kirkup on 20/03/2019 21:53:13:

img_20190320_211732.jpg

Who needs a VFD, eh?

21/03/2019 10:43:01
Posted by Danny M2Z on 21/03/2019 08:12:34:

Today I started test flights on a new Free Flight model from a 1952 design that has kept me busy in the workshop for the last month (Aussie Nats in April). It's looking promising

Only use of the C3 Mini-lathe was to manufacture the fuel shut-off and tweak the ports of the equally ancient FROG 150 model diesel engine.

If anybody is interested in such things, here is a linky **LINK**

* Danny M *

I have a KeilKraft Ladybird made in 1952 by my late father in law.

I flew it once (at Sutton Park) when it was 50 years old using a DC Merlin. I do keep meaning to re-restore it and perhaps add micro RC for rudder, just to keep it in sight!

Thread: Cutting a concave radius on the end of a round bar
20/03/2019 21:38:58
Posted by Robin Graham on 18/03/2019 22:30:42:

I want to make something like this (apologies for carp drawing, I'm no artist!):

And I thought this forum was immune to the legendary fish-pun thread.

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
20/03/2019 21:36:59
Posted by JasonB on 20/03/2019 09:09:45:

I have not had much chance to play with mine and I think Neil has done even less.

Getting mine in the workshop nearly finished me...

Since then the need to work for a living has prevented me putting in the needed time. I also need to source a suitably basic PC!

Neil

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
20/03/2019 21:34:06
Posted by David Jupp on 20/03/2019 08:27:50:

Steve,

Mechanism for joining any parts together is assembly constraints - bolts are just additional parts in the assembly.

If you want quick way to get hold of bolts/screws for your design, take a look here and choose Mechanical Hardware as the category. It isn't comprehensive, but it can be quite handy.

Edited By David Jupp on 20/03/2019 08:34:23

Useful resource, although I couldn't directly edit gears as SAT files, I found that by extruding a cut I could modify a 15mm gear to a smaller thickness.

Thread: Hello From Devon
20/03/2019 21:22:24

Welcome to the forum David,

A less ambitious instrument maker here! Currently trying to make a bone saddle from a bit of cow stolen off the dog. Bandsaw worked well to get a 'stick' of bone, now wondering if I can mill it to shape...

Neil

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
20/03/2019 21:19:36
Posted by Windy on 20/03/2019 00:29:58:

As I have a strong interest in mechanical speed machines I went to Elvington Top Speed meeting today.

Little did I know I was being set up by friend Roger, Andy Lincoln Smith and his wife Helen.

Andy brought his BSA C10 and let me sit on it then Helen said your riding it doing the measured Top Speed mile.

A group of speed nuts had brought the riding gear for me.

I had not ridden a motorbike for 40 years

What a nostalgia trip on that 2 mile runway a bit more sedate to 1974's 207.9mph run.

That model BSA was my first motorbike bought in 1969 for £10 they now fetch £2600.

You have to watch out 40mph can be achieved ha,ha.

Then back home and got back in the workshop to do some work on my pumps.

The competitors you meet some are involved in ME and full size projects connected to speed

An excellent day, Paul!

Neil

19/03/2019 21:14:49
Posted by David Jupp on 19/03/2019 16:36:46:

Neil - that would normally give a 'self intersection' error - basically the part of the profile on the inside of the curve reverses direction of movement as it moves along the path, due to the too sharp curvature of the path.

Yes, took me a long time to work out what self-intersection was.

Thread: I want one!
19/03/2019 18:36:27

Reminds me that on my honeymoon in a cottage on Skye I loaded the washing machine and it dumped a few gallons of water on the floor.

A mouse had eaten a rubber hose inside.

Neil

Thread: Hello from near Pershore Worcs...
19/03/2019 18:33:57

Welcome to the forum, Henry

Neil

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
19/03/2019 18:33:28
Posted by martin perman on 19/03/2019 17:35:49:

I'm not poo pooing any of the above, I've just spent the last 40 years of my working life installing, commissioning, training and servicing machining centres, Robots, Automation, Injection moulding machines and machine tools all using PLC's, CNC etc they are all fantastic machines and can spit out repetative pieces by the thousand day in and day out but nobody is ever going to get me to understand why a home model engineer would ever want one to make one item, they were designed to make repetive items quicker and easier than several toolmakers could with lathes, mills, grinders and foundry's etc.

The KX1 came with a demonstration piece, possibly meant to be the front cover of a turbine or aero engine? Something I could never produce manually.

When I get the machine running its job will be making complex shapes that I can't do easily or at all by hand.

Neil

Thread: Return key
19/03/2019 18:27:02
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 19/03/2019 18:11:58:

Has the forum site been improved, The RETURN key now works on Apple Mac "Mojave" instead of using Shift Return.

BobH

Yes.

As for teh earlier question Microsoft or ME... Microsoft didn't add a compatibility button because their browser doesn't work with this website, it was because it doesn't work with thousands of websites. Nuff said?

Neil

19/03/2019 16:31:32
Posted by David Jupp on 19/03/2019 07:37:21:

Colin,

Jason started his sweep path that the origin by the look of it, and drew his profile (circle) on one of the principal planes that intersects the origin.

The sweep path must at least reach, or can pass through, the plane on which the profile is sketched.

As Jason said - the path sketch can be open (the warning about this is a standard thing, most sketches do have to be closed, but there are a few exceptions).

Is any error or status message displayed for the attempted sweep?

I found that if you do a sweep that intersects with itself (e.g. turn radius less than the swept shape's radius) it will fail.

Neil

Thread: Microsoft Word
19/03/2019 09:46:44
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 19/03/2019 09:31:45:

Each model of machine-tool has a production life like any other large manufactured item, so spares are eventually no longer made new even if the maker is still trading. However, you do not expect the manufacturer to try to force you to buy new by rendering the existing machine and tooling unusable.

Isn't that exactly what happens when something new like camlock or INT taper is introduced? If you use the newer machines you have to accept your older tooling will become redundant.

Neil

19/03/2019 09:39:59
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 18/03/2019 22:21:51:

I was first aware of docx. and xlsx. a couple of years ago when I wanted to send pensions-related documents home from my work computer, in preparation for my retirement; and discovered they had been automatically converted to this locked form, like a pdf image-file. Luckily I found saving documents and spread-sheets in early formats seemed to bypass this little racket.

(The spread-sheets did include some lunch-break work, as change-wheel tables for the EW lathe, and one of somewhere-useful equivalents for my small Denbigh horizontal mill with its one 8tpi and two 6tpi, lead-screws!)

Also, I had a frustrating time as a society committee-member, when fellow officers circulated reports in all sorts of different appearance formats and file types, including those "x" ones. The latter were impossible to edit so I could not compile them all neatly into single meeting handbooks.

I noticed the docx. files invoked a pop-up from Adobe, with a big blue "Convert" button under a file-type menu. It was, how shall I put this politely, disingenuous! The Convert button actually opened a sales page making clear you do not buy Adobe Acrobat outright but subscribe to it at tens of ££/month. OK perhaps for a company but not for a private user needing such software only ad-hoc and occasionally.

WinZip has gone the same way, at about £30 - £40 / month, according to its own pop-up ads saying my "software is out of date".

Sharks!

Perhaps or perhaps not...

When DOCX and XLSX came out Microsoft released a free patch that allowed all previous versions of their programs to save, edit and open them.

As for winZip, there has been a paid for version for, possibly, decades, windows can now handle zip files natively so you don't need it unless you want all the fancy extras of the pro version, so the free version is now redundant.

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest