By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norm norton

Here is a list of all the postings norm norton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can you identify this motorcycle?
25/01/2022 10:25:43

Well this thread has caused fun!

Just as Noel says, and Duncan, the position of the exhaust and carb makes it a four stroke and the shallow head says side valve. The poor image makes it impossible to see the side valve chest cover that should sit just below the barrel, presumably it has been painted black.

This first image is of a 1940 BSA M20, side vale single, but the cover for the magneto chain is not quite the right shape.

bsa m20 1940.jpg

This second image is of a 1951 BSA C10, side valve single, and the chain cover is the right shape. Obviously this 1951 model has telescopic forks but a BSA marque expert would have to say whether this engine first came out in a rigid frame with girder forks a few years earlier.

bsa c10 1951.jpg

Edit: yes, found C10s going back to 1939 link

Previous identification by Micheal and JohnF acknowledged.

Edited By norm norton on 25/01/2022 10:34:10

Thread: Moving a Bridgeport
12/01/2022 09:41:28

Colin

A few years ago I collected a Bridgeport on a low bed car trailer. The supplier loaded it with a fork lift attached to the top eye. At home, I put a 2 ton engine crane around it to lift from the top eye and tried to ease the crane down the, now tilted and jacked, trailer and onto concrete. The problem was the solid iron engine crane wheels on solid axles - it all bound up and stuck to any surface on the trailer. No risk of a runaway! we had to pry bar it down with retaining safety check straps being eased in stages.

Then when it was on the concrete those wheels just dug in and would not roll. It was pry barred into the workshop door, then lowered onto steel bars to roll it into position - much easier to rotate, etc. You need heavy, long pry bars and at least three chaps. At least while on the engine crane it could not topple, once off the crane we took it very cautiously.

Best of luck.

Thread: Engineering as Art
12/01/2022 09:22:36

Lots of technical comment. The original question was along the lines of 'can these two drawings in ME be described as art?'.

In my view, yes, they are most attractive to look at and enjoyable. Are they technically imperfect, do they have flaws - yes that is inevitable as they are hand drawn to that individual's aesthetics. And that is what makes them special.

I thoroughly enjoy seeing hand drawings in ME, and equally shudder at the thought that the editor has converted many into cold, sterile, technically correct drawings.

CAD has done a great service in making dimensionally accurate drawings easily achievable, and I use it for that, but the result is cold and mechanical, and rarely beautiful.

Thread: phosphor bronze  or aluminium bronze
08/01/2022 15:00:27

You should be using PB102 bronze for boiler bushes (PB1 is acceptable) that are silver soldered to a copper boiler shell. The other bronzes mentioned contain lead (gunmetal LG2 5%, colophos 90 4%, SAE660 7%) and zinc, and there are reports that this can affect the silver solder joint. I think the Australian code says something about it but I am speaking from memory.

For a boiler to be tested the materials used should be certified.

However, I am sure that the use of gunmetal has been common, especially for turrets, and I would guess that people have been using colophos and SAE660 with no apparent failure. Some suppliers sell 'phosphor bronze' without being aware of the differences.

Edited By norm norton on 08/01/2022 15:00:51

Thread: VFD - which is best please ?
31/12/2021 12:33:11

Putting a VFD in an enclosure is understood for electrical and mechanical safety. But they have cooling fans and if they are going to run cool the enclosure (case) has to be massive or adequately ventilated itself. If it is ventilated it will pull all the same amount of dust in to gradually coat its circuit boards.

So which is more important, try to let them run cool and extend their lives, or keep them clean in a sealed box?

Edited By norm norton on 31/12/2021 12:33:44

Thread: DAB radio
30/12/2021 13:08:58

Many of the newer speaker systems or boxes will pick up your house wi-fi and play 'internet radio' It is the way the world is moving and it is more difficult now to buy decent quality 'radios'. Sony no longer make their excellent small one and have left the portable radio market. You also need the newer DAB+ receivers to pick up the reformed DAB transmission bands.

But I still have a DAB+ small radio playing through an old fashioned amplifier and speaker pair in the workshop - sounds reasonable and needs only one plug switch to flick on.

Radio in the workshop? Perhaps Andrew has explained why some of my jobs go wrong sad

I can still tolerate Ken Bruce and Steve Wright, but the rest of Radio Two is a disaster. Boom Radio is for us older chaps, and Classic if I get all cultural.

Thread: Help! Identification for a live steam model required
17/12/2021 14:26:00

Rob

It would be very interesting if you could tell us what your 'reliable informant' has identified that conclusively shows that this is a Perrier scratch build and not the Winson parts that Brian and I think it might be.

Norm

16/12/2021 09:55:14

Brian is likely to be right about it being from a kit. Might explain the loco being built to that stage but without the cylinders and motion kits arriving.

The later kit Modelworks Britannia drag box is brass/bronze. Many parts on the earlier Winson were aluminium. Also scratch those cast stretchers to see. A Perrier has fabricated, silver soldered steel stretchers.

I do wonder if the earlier Winson did not have the big, flat top stretcher fitted, or it has not been bolted in yet by the builder?

Also, take out some of the big setscrews from the frames and see if they are metric threads, to confirm a kit.

Norm

Thread: 5" BUTCH locomotive
16/12/2021 09:40:20

Butch castings and drawings are listed by Kennions. I had always assumed the design had been with (GLR) Kennions for a long time, but I don't know.

Noel, it steams well, pulls hard and has a good reputation. Of course, all the parts have to be working properly especially draughting, slide valve seats and piston rings (packing on the original design). Just paint it in black and it looks good!

Norm

Thread: Help! Identification for a live steam model required
15/12/2021 16:32:52

I would say that it could be a Britannia. The trailing pony truck looks right and the upright closing plate on the drag box that stands under the cab is nearly right. The frames have the correct side profile.

But a really strange feature is the missing large central, horizontal stretcher. Also odd are the double openings (drain cock rods?) in the drag box.

There is always the possibility that bits do not match the drawings because the builder changed things or used what was available. Perrier/Spink wheels are 6 9/16" diameter on the treads and the driver axles are at 7 7/16 " centres.

The only drawings I know of were from Perrier and these have for many years been rebranded by N Spink and sold by Blackgates.

Norm

Thread: Not the time to be complacent about Covid
16/11/2021 09:49:08

I agree it is no time to be complacent, but we have to face the reality of how 'semi-normal-life' is going to continue for the majority. Let me say I am strongly for jabs and for protection measures in case anyone misreads my next few words.

Covid-19 is not going to disappear and the choice is to either hide yourself away for the rest of your life or to use science to minimise your risk of serious illness or death. I will say I have the most sympathy for any who are medically unable to benefit from vaccination and will have to stay isolated.

Personally, once we have had our third jabs in a few days, and those have settled for a couple of weeks, my wife and I are going to go back to attending the local gym and going to social club nights (where the younger generation regard the infection as all finished!). With the best immunisation we might ever have we almost hope that we will get small doses of the virus so that our bodies learn to cope with it - and in future further infections will keep the body's defences up. It will also help to get back to catching occasional colds as they also prepare the body for generic coronaviruses. That's our decision as 70 year olds, if you are approaching 90 I agree it is a different calculation.

Science thinks that covid-19 will become less lethal with time, but still as infectious, and we will eventually think of it as one of the common cold infections. There might well be an annual covid jab that is partly effective against all coronaviruses (including common colds) and flu combined.

The majority of the UK population is putting itself through this infection and body defence change now. The people doing it without vaccination are the daft ones. Depending on your age and personal risk it might be sensible to delay joining in, but it comes down to a decision of hiding away for ever, or making a choice to get back to some life experience.

Thread: Calor 340
03/11/2021 09:50:08

James

A Calor 3.9kg cylinder is not too large for a workshop, has 10X the gas of a 340, the gas works out much cheaper by refill, and seems to last forever with Sievert torches of all sizes. Or perhaps you do have one and I am saying what you already know -sorry. Calor 3.9kg are about £60 new and around £25 per refill.

I also use a couple of small, disposable canister propane/butane mix hand held torches when I just want a quick heat-up for a few seconds and don't want to unwind the Sievert long hose.

Calor gas supply has been on/off this year. I couldn't get 6kg refills in the Summer and had to phone the local garden centre each delivery day until they said "oh yes, 6kg propane was the only size delivered today so we unusually have six of them!"

Edited By norm norton on 03/11/2021 09:51:42

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
21/09/2021 09:51:06

Many years ago, when we had cardice (solid CO2) deliveries, the CO2 had come from distiller's group. There must be masses of it produced by brewing but I guess the fertiliser by-product has been cheaper.

Thread: Harrison 11 gearbox
08/09/2021 15:52:18

Do you have a Harrison 140? [140mm - 5.51"]    The 11" was renamed when the metric gearbox was fitted, along with metric dials and a 6mm pitch leadscrew. A metric gearbox will have three thumb levers rather than the two of the earlier imperial lathes.

Edited By norm norton on 08/09/2021 15:53:42

07/09/2021 10:19:07

Alan

Yes there is, try https://groups.io/g/HarrisonLathe. You will need a set of change gears.

Also, Google is a wonderful finder of stuff. Type this "harrison metric gearbox imperial thread" into your browser and all the previous discussions on this forum, and others, will come up.

Norm

Thread: Myford super 7 with gearbox - leadscrew stopped turning
24/08/2021 10:34:28

Until Nick comes back and describes what moves and what does not we are all speculating.

But, I knew the Myford gearbox would give lots of 'false neutrals' (motorcycle term) until you settle the gear selector well into its pin. My shock a few months ago was that I got a 'lockup' when I would guess that gear teeth were pin-on-pin and not seated, and when I engaged the clutch it promptly stripped a few teeth from a fibre wheel.

I now always rotate the leadscrew hand wheel to check that gears have properly engaged. Wonderful thing experience from a lesson learnt.

Thread: 5" 57XX PANSY BOILER MANUFACTURER?
22/08/2021 11:01:04

Hi James

A guess on my part, but it might be a Winson Kit build perhaps with the date of 1989 and Boiler & Engine number 266.

I think they made a lot of 57XXs, but dates I don't know; another owner of one might be able to confirm what is stamped on their's ?

Norm

Thread: Galatea help
22/08/2021 10:54:13

Hi Daniel

Every success with your build, and you will have fun learning stuff along the way.

Some drawing sets are better than others, but always treat them as an arrangement of dimensions (that you need to double check). With all builds you need to come to your own views on the sequence of steps, how things are best fitted, materials, appropriate fixings, etc, etc.

There is a lot more understanding we all need that will never be in the drawings, nor in any write-up that the designer might have published, although such descriptions are very helpful. For example, quartering wheels and getting the valves to work. You might find this by reading as much as you can, perhaps working back through Model Engineer articles (libraries at the local ME club), looking through web site builds and write-ups by others, and talking to experienced engineers when you can. There are also model build video guides being published on YouTube.

This forum is great for its range of engineering discussion but, as Dave says above, try joining the (smaller) MECH forum if you want to ask a specific 5" build question.

Norm

Thread: A Welding Problem - Steel Type?
25/05/2021 09:08:30

Thank you Nigel, you have done something that only the very best posters of questions do - summarise what you have learnt from the various replies and what you might do next. We all learn from that and appreciate the discussion!

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 18:02:49

HVLP - agree fully.

I think a lot of the HVLP description is a marketing gimmick. Those guns I described still need 30-40psi and probably behave just like historical spray guns.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest