By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Baron

Here is a list of all the postings John Baron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ML7 refurbishment
06/07/2020 20:16:08
Posted by fastdave on 06/07/2020 16:45:17:

Hi folks, I got a backplate for my ML7 from RGD, and at the same time, a Pratt Burnerd 6" inch chuck form the guy who sold me it. - it is a 1966 model, came with a 4" chuck, which glides on and off - the other devices mentioned don't. - They screw on easily until about 8mm from the full fitted position, then seize to a halt. I did read in the manual about new devices needing scraping - does this mean I clamp the on and take a skim in my other lathe?

I would be concerned about the backplate only screwing partially on the spindle !

Thread: Ac motor 3 wire
06/07/2020 20:10:19

Hi Rich,

I use a similar motor on my four facet drill grinder. I used a switch so that I can run the motor in either direction depending upon which side of the grinding wheel I'm using.

There is a picture of mine on the "Gadget Builder" web site, near the bottom of the page.

Thread: Milling Machine Table Repairs
06/07/2020 20:04:27

Hi Stephen,

I've used locktite epoxy putty for similar jobs. Once set hard it just files down. Once set it is very hard to see it, the colour is so close to cast iron.

Thread: Spark plug lead
06/07/2020 20:00:44

Hi Dave,

You could use an "R" clip to fit the plug soldered to the ignition wire.

As far as changing the wire, it would depend upon how it is secured at the coil end. Some are soldered in others have a threaded screw that the cable screws on to. Some I've seen are actually a carbonised cotton thread with a wire pushed in to make a connection.

Thread: Ac motor 3 wire
06/07/2020 19:51:39
Posted by John Haine on 06/07/2020 16:14:46:

Quick google on the cap confirms it's a start capacitor. Also I think that it has 4 terminals but in 2 commoned pairs. Did the machine reverse in operation? Nothing to say that this is a 2850 rpm motor - could be 2 or 4 pole, if the latter it would be 1425.

Hi John,

Definitely a two pole 2850 rpm motor ! I don't know of a tumble dryer that uses a four pole motor to provide direct drum drive. Look at the size of the belt pulley and compare its size to that of a 26" diameter drum. The belt runs around the outside of the drum from that small pulley. Also its only a 1/2 Hp motor.

I actually use a similar motor on my four facet drill grinder.

06/07/2020 19:43:22

Hi Buffer,

Thanks for the picture ! Yes its a start cap, and yes the motor will run either way.

Your earlier picture made it difficult to see that there were only two connections.

Effectively the black wire is mains neutral. The live goes to one side or the other of the capacitor depending upon which way you want it to spin.

If you do a resistance check between the black and yellow wires it should be the same resistance black to either yellow wire.

06/07/2020 14:46:23

Hi Buffer,

The motor will run at 2850 rpm. But without the information on the capacitor its difficult to say whether it is simply an interference suppressor or a start capacitor. The way that its wired it could be either.

Thread: Removing nylon plug from carbon fibre tube
30/06/2020 16:07:44

Hi Sam,

"V" blocks can be worth their weight in... well you know what I mean.

The technique that I would have used is some long bolts into "T" nuts on the crosslide packed up the "V" block till I got the height I wanted and then a flat bar on top to clamp the whole lot down. Probably another flat bar behind to stop things twisting under cutting pressure. Then either mill two slots and do as you have done cut the scrap off with a saw, or used a fly cutter to take the waste off.

But that is all academic now. yes Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Thread: Free or inexpensive 2D cad for clock wheels
30/06/2020 15:48:30

Hi Chris, Guys,

I've used Qcad for quite some time now and drawing a wheel as Dave has done is quick and easy. But like all software it takes a little time and effort to become skilled in its use. One big advantage of Qcad is that you can use the free community edition to learn with. I would highly recommend it.

One big advantage is Qcad's ability to scale an object or part of an object, so having drawn one object you can make multiple copies of those objects at different sizes. Which is particularly useful for gears.

30/06/2020 15:19:59

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the update ! It good to know that you have got it sorted, I'm pleased that the Acetal machined well for you, its quite a nice material to use for things like nuts for backlash free lead screws, collars and those sort of things.

The trick to holding round objects on the mill is "V" blocks assuming that you don't have a three jaw chuck that you can use.

Thread: Drill sharpening?
12/06/2020 08:52:15
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 11/06/2020 20:38:22:

In my experience the life of the resharpened drill is seriously effected by the surface finish on the grind itself. Rough out using the standard grade wheel of 40 or 60 grit, and then finish with a fine wheel of 120 or finer. An alternate is to hone the edge. These will last every bit as long a s a new drill, and if sharpened correctly will drill a hole to be better than 0.05mm of the drill size and have a roundness of the hole better than 0.03mm tir. Hand sharpened or fixture sharpened should be giving the same results. Hand sharpening drills is a skill that some can never manage. Although it looks ok, when used won't be. You know when it is right as the swarf comes off fairly evenly from each drill flute. I have seen many new drills that require a touch up to get them to drill proper holes.

Hi Neil, Guys,

When you have an accurate drill grinder, like the

https://www.gadgetbuilder.com/DrillSharp.html#Facet4 one,

putting a brand new drill into it and marking the facets with a marker. Very lightly touch up the facets and you will be surprised just how often they are way out. Most often one side is longer than the other or the face angles are wrong. Regrinding them makes a world of difference particularly to the larger drills. Also you will find that deeper holes don't wander as much. This I think is because you don't need as much pressure on the drill to keep it cutting, so the drill doesn't flex.

Unfortunately the biggest drill that I can sharpen in the four facet sharpener is 10 mm, so I either do them by hand or use the picador, which once you have set it up properly does a reasonable job.

NOTE: I had to bore out the collet holder to 1/2" to be able to actually get a 10 mm drill in there.

Edited By John Baron on 12/06/2020 08:52:45

11/06/2020 16:55:25

Hi Guys,

I can recommend having a look at

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/

Under drill grinders. I built the Four Facet drill grinder and can vouch for its ability to produce accurate repeatable sharp drills.

09/06/2020 06:56:19

Hi Sam, Guys,

Nice one ! At least you can now move on and get things sorted. I'm watching with interest.

Thread: rescuing a chuck
06/06/2020 20:46:18
Posted by old mart on 06/06/2020 20:32:43:

ARC have 100mm four jaw scroll chucks for £59 with both sets of jaws which would probably be a lot better than your tired old Pratt.

Hi Guys,

I've recently just bought a 100 mm 3 jaw scroll chuck from ARC. I'm quite impressed with it. In my opinion it is a better chuck than the PB one that came with my lathe ! Just a pity that its not a slim body one like the original chuck, the chuck sticks further forward by nearly two inches.

Thread: Smart and Brown Sabel
06/06/2020 20:31:07
Posted by John Baron on 06/06/2020 08:05:17:

Hi Jim,

Grab them with a pair of sharp side cutters and twist them out like a screw. If you don't damage them too much you can just knock them back in when you are ready.

Jim you need to use the type that cut flush ! You also need to apply enough pressure so that you can twist the rivet, once you have done that they will be slightly proud of the surface and you can then get under them and they pop out like pulling teeth !

Thread: stuck chuck again
06/06/2020 08:22:00

Hi Guys,

Beware if you use grease on the spindle and chuck threads ! It will pick up minute particles of material that will eventually get embedded into the threads and then jam the chuck.

The secret is absolute cleanliness and plenty of oil. I made a spring thread cleaner for use in the chuck threads. Its surprising how much debris it removes from what looks like a clean thread. Next time you have the chuck off have a look using a loupe. Same with the spindle threads, I use a brass brush to clean mine.

Thread: Smart and Brown Sabel
06/06/2020 08:05:17

Hi Jim,

Grab them with a pair of sharp side cutters and twist them out like a screw. If you don't damage them too much you can just knock them back in when you are ready.

Thread: Using Counterbores
04/06/2020 21:14:09

Hi Guys,

One thing that that needs to be accounted for when counter boring for cap head screws is that the shoulder under the head is a fraction larger than the clearance diameter. So the counter bore pilot is bigger to allow for that.

Edited By John Baron on 04/06/2020 21:14:27

Thread: Boxford AUD motor drive wheel plus reverse switch issue
02/06/2020 17:49:22
Posted by Fergus Davidson on 02/06/2020 17:25:56:

img_20200531_151341.jpg

Hi Furgus, I would have drilled and tapped the pulley directly over the key. That would stop any movement of both the key and the pulley.

Having said that I've also seen a screw put into a shaft to stop a pulley moving. In the old days a tapered key would have been used and hammered in. You might have seen them on old machinery, they had a raised section on the end so they could be extracted.

Thread: Belt Up
02/06/2020 17:21:39

Hi Guys,

I used to think that line shaft pulleys were flat, until you stood one up on a flat surface and it leaned to one side or the other !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest