By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Gibbs

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Gibbs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Clever invention
27/03/2018 13:06:02
Posted by KWIL on 27/03/2018 12:41:03:

Cheaper at Screwfixsmiley

The self-cutting isolators in Screwfix don't do the same thing, unless I read it wrong. I think they create a spur with an isolator valve off a pipe.

Thread: Carborundum (silicon carbide) grinding wheel
27/03/2018 08:49:44

With a bit of work, it's quite possible to change wheels without losing balance & alignment or to use a cheap grinder (<£20). Buy some AlOx and diamond cup & dish wheels and you have the best of both worlds.

See Harold Halls pages here and a book recommendation... **LINK**

HTH

Jon

Thread: Pretty?, Mind-boggling? Pretty mind-boggling!!
26/03/2018 09:16:47
Posted by Clive Foster on 25/03/2018 15:54:09:

Shows what happens when unbridled capitalism sees a large untapped market and gets the bit between its teeth.

Clive

+1 - Happens more often than we like to admit.

Jon

Thread: Your Facebook information
22/03/2018 14:20:12

This looks like negligence on Facebook's part rather than maliciousness IMHO but I'm no expert.

CA is very interesting though. It's owned by Robert Mercer, a big Pro-Republican donor, who also owns a firm called AggregateIQ that also worked on Brexit. Steve Bannon was a Vice President of CA who seems to have links with Farage and Arron Banks.

For the details of the web of intrigue between CA, AggregateIQ, Brexit and Trump, this makes good reading...

**LINK**

It seems that CA did some work on Brexit, gratis!!

22/03/2018 11:26:39

Facebook is not scary for me because I put none of my life onto their platform but I feel I have a Faustian-like pact with google.

As a gmail and Android user it's clear to me that they trawl through all of my email, see what things I buy, when the deliveries will be made, what flights, hotels and travel I book, what appointments I put in my calendar etc etc etc. It's pretty helpful but at the same time concerning. It's fine if they are confining themselves to the useful things for me but if they're also looking at the opinions I write in my emails and who I receive emails from and their opinions who knows where this could go next.

AC Grayling may not have been the first to look into the work of CA and question their methods but from November 2017 this Youtube video makes interesting watching... **LINK**

Jon

Thread: Fuelling a Boiler using Electricity
20/03/2018 09:54:43

Instead of going all-out electric which would, let's face it, be the most efficient - How about running a 12V compressor and use the boiler as a compressed air tank?

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 20/03/2018 09:57:47

Thread: ER32 which end mills
17/03/2018 07:17:00

+1 for bearing collet nuts.

Definitely the way to go IMHO.

Jon

Thread: Lathes on Telly
16/03/2018 10:27:38
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 16/03/2018 10:00:10:

The way the lathe was used made me want to know more about it. I'd have thought that making fireworks would involve far more wood turning than metal, and any metal tools needed could be done on a Myford-size. So why have a large expensive precision metal working lathe in the workshop? Either it was a poor choice of lathe or it's needed for something else.

Well I think it was most likely to be a University model-shop lathe.

Lucy W's co-presenter (sorry I missed her name) was probably just taking the path of least resistance to getting the tools made in her own Univ model shop.

On the basis that "what'll turn a lot, will turn a little" it makes sense for the University to have just a decent sized lathe.

Jon

15/03/2018 11:15:59

Yes, it was a good watch and the lathe was put to use turning a set of wooden armatures for the paper cases and creating a small void in the powder charge for gerbs as well as producing a brass dibber for the void in rocket charges.

...but as a woodturner I'd have far preferred to see a wood lathe used for the wooden armature - especially since TCT tipped tools seemed very incongruous being used on wood!

For me, one of the more amazing parts was watching the Korean expert fireworks maker using a mild steel tamper hit with a steel hammer to compress the powder charge into his rockets. The claim was that the humidity made it safe(r) - hmmm.

...I'm seriously tempted to make an overtly political point about Brexit, H&S, de-regulation and nostalgia for Elizabethan (I) England at this point but I'll desist wink

Jon

Thread: Top slide std positioning
12/03/2018 11:58:02

Surely it's nearer to 6 degrees (arcsin(0.1) = 5.74 degrees) for 10:1 on the topslide.

Harold Hall takes this one step further and in some instances advocates 0.573 degrees for 100:1 !

...but I'm in Andrew's camp** (and Martin Cleeve's) and even when threading just put the cuts on 2:1 for 55 & 60 degrees and 4:1 for Acme. The cross-slide gives a direct reading of the depth of the thread.

Jon

[Edit: ** Not quite then if he just does plunge cutting. By putting 1/2 of the cut on the topslide at 90 degrees it is equivalent to arctan 0.5 = 26.5 degrees and so close enough for 55 & 60 degrees. By putting 1/4 of the cut on the topslide at 90 degrees it is equivalent to arctan 0.25 = 14 degrees which is ok for Acme.]

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 12/03/2018 12:02:50

Thread: best machine tools for lathe
12/03/2018 11:48:47

Plenty of conventional right hand turning insert holders, boring bars and inserts (CCMT 060204) are available on banggood's website (**LINK**) very cheaply (rather bizarrely under electronics/mechanical parts!) but for anything out of the ordinary like left-hand tooling or holders that use the 100 degree corner then you'll have to pay UK prices from someone like ARC or RDG.

I now tend to rough out with cheap TCT and then turn to a finish with M42 HSS either a normal toolbit or a shop-made tangential holder with M42 HSS. This combo works well for me on mild steel or stainless.

HTH

Jon

Thread: ML7 Top slide T-nuts and screws
12/03/2018 11:31:18

Hi [Bill Edit: not Jack - sorry!),

I'd suggest turning your own T-nuts and just buying some short 1/4" BSF hex-head bolts and washers. Myford sell nice blackened ones or just fit some BZP M6 ones. Turn a top-hat shape, thread and then file two opposite flats on the "brim" to enable them to fit into the T-slots - the originals look the same.

My ML7 came with T-bolts and nuts which are another option but I replaced them - I found that the threads stripped too easily where chips became embedded in the exposed T-bolt threads.

HTH

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 12/03/2018 11:35:42

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 12/03/2018 11:38:03

Thread: Is society becoming more stupid
09/03/2018 12:03:17
Posted by Mike Poole on 09/03/2018 11:49:57:

Lighten up chaps, we are in the tea room and that is as bad as the pub if you want to chat s**t. Don't forget your sense of humour and that pinch of salt.

Agreed. There've always been curmudgeonly old bu**ers like us bemoaning the stupidity of their society and there always will be.

...and there will always be 50% of the population below median intelligence dragging the rest of us down

09/03/2018 10:52:58
Posted by Michael-w on 09/03/2018 10:32:25:

I'm sure even Einstein did some things he felt pretty stupid about.

Completely off-topic but the things he did feel stupid about, he perhaps shouldn't have...

The cosmological constant that Einstein added into his equations for general relativity to ensure that the universe could be "static", and that came before Hubble discovered that the universe was expanding, he regretted afterwards. See **LINK**

"Einstein later reputedly referred to his failure to accept the validation of his equations—when they had predicted the expansion of the universe in theory, before it was demonstrated in observation of the cosmological red shift—as the "biggest blunder" of his life."

...but now it's being used to model the effects of Dark Matter and Dark Energy - even if it is with opposite sign to the one Einstein intended.

Jon

09/03/2018 09:00:52

I'm not sure that I agree entirely that society as a whole is getting more stupid - rather, I think that society has become more aware of its responsibility for the well-being and actions of the stupid or the ill-informed.

In days gone by if a few stupid people were injured/killed due to their ignorance it was just fine and dandy - strengthened the gene pool, allegedly. These days, I'm not so sure.

There is another case of course and that is when the stupid and ill-informed are responsible for the safety of others - their own children's or other people's safety... **LINK**.

It probably goes way too far at times but what can you do?...

The fact is that the wealth of knowledge is expanding all of the time and we're all stupid and ill-informed about a large proportion of that. Socrates claimed to know nothing and it's fair to say that we, as a society, know a heck of a lot more now than in his day. But, I'd argue that very few of us are humble enough to know or acknowledge our own limits like Socrates - You only have to think about the recent "fashion" for mistrusting experts, who by definition know more about their subjects than the general populace...

...I think that brings us back to the OP's question, but hopefully it is just a short term blip and we don't need to start building the 'B' Ark of the Golgafrinchans smiley

Jon

Thread: Fred Dibnah auction
07/03/2018 08:56:18

It's always sad to see an old boy's pride and joy up for sale.

I cleared my old Dad's workshop and he did his Dad's before him - and despite my best efforts I had to get rid of quite a lot of old junk that was coming in for that rainy day and there looks to be a fair bit of Fred's there too.

...but it makes the contents of my workshop seem quite modest - I clearly need some more stuff!

Jon

Thread: Cobalt drills?
04/03/2018 10:36:22

Cobalt drills are just tougher HSS - M34 or M42 depending upon the percentage of Co added to the alloy.

I would go with carbide for hardened steel even if it is just case hardened.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Lathe chuck not true.
02/03/2018 14:20:11

Hi Stephen,

I have an ML7 and suffer the same problem with my old 3-jaw but decided to make my backplate adjustable - think 4-jaw sub-backplate, to tweak my 3-jaw to work with minimum run-out for certain diameters.

Mine is TIR minimized for 1" diameter stock because I also have an ER32 collet chuck but can adjust it if needed fairly easily.

I hope this helps

Jon

Thread: Larger Chuck for ML7 Tailstock
02/03/2018 11:56:51

Not a genuine Jacobs and keyed as well as more than £25 with an arbor but I've always been pleased with this chuck...

**LINK**

I've always been hesitant with cheap keyless chucks in larger sizes auto overtightening and jamming up.

Jon

Thread: lignum vitie bearings
02/03/2018 08:55:48

+1 for Ian's comments - As a woodturner, the idea of eaving only 0.031" walls in an LV bearing would be a real challenge IMHO. You'd need no short grain at all in your piece of LV.

I'd either make the hole for the bearing bigger in which case you'll find oilite might fit after all or opt for a lube-less bearing material that's easier to turn thin like PTFE.

Jon

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest