By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Gibbs

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Gibbs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Favourite Engineering quotes.
17/09/2014 16:48:53

An engineer is someone who can make for 10 cents what any fool can make for a dollar.

Thread: Drilling stainless steel
15/09/2014 10:10:21

Cheap spear-point TCT tile drills ought to do the job.

I've drilled HSS toolbits this way but it requires plenty of pressure and coolant.

HTH

Jon

Thread: I've bought a 7R [ Myford, not AJS ]
10/09/2014 14:24:57

As Michael says everything else on Myfords was BSF until metrication was eventually forced on them by metric coarse cap screws becoming much cheaper than BSF large head cap screws (Chapter 17 of Ian Bradley's book).

Since there's so little to choose between 2BA and 3/16 BSF, Neil's probably right that 2BA was just cheaper at the time.

Jon

Thread: CY90 3 1/2" MITRE ARM BANDSAW WITH STAND
08/09/2014 10:51:30

Hi Rod and Neil,

Thanks very much for the recommendations and ideas/enhancements.

I have similar space challenges to you Rod and am just as frugal as you Neil so I can see I'll have to take the plunge wink.

Jon

07/09/2014 20:11:56

Hi All,

Has anyone any experience of these cheap compact Warco bandsaws please?

Would you recommend it?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Many thanks

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 07/09/2014 20:12:33

Thread: Computer backup
02/09/2014 15:32:35

Am I missing something? - I use the standard Microsoft Windows Backup and Restore.

It's under the Control Panel/System and Security of Windows 7.

You can schedule backups whenever you want.

Jon

Thread: polishing spindle taper threads
02/09/2014 12:23:46

The thread Jason linked to was started by me.

I've since managed to turn a pretty reasonable pigtail mandrel using a neat little gizmo from a Hemingway Kit ...

**LINK**

It's made it an expensive and time consuming solution but it's very satisfying when you eventually get there.

I turned the taper and cut the thread with the same effective tailstock offset (approx 8mm) but to get a steep enough taper it was only possible to cut it on a short section of stock which was then screwed onto a mandrel with a threaded nose.

I'll try to post some pics.

Jon

Thread: How to centre a boring bar
13/08/2014 13:58:42
Posted by Clive Foster on 13/08/2014 12:20:59:

Jon

To my mind the biggest advantage of the optical gauge is its ability to work at a distance from the tool tip. The angle of view through the mirror is good with negative rakes too. All other systems require you to either get close and personal to the tip or set-up the lathe to help.

Clive

Many thanks Clive - I can appreciate both the "at a distance" advantage and the elegance of the of the optical method.

Jon

13/08/2014 10:28:38

I really like the perspex sighting device and can see it being useful but am I the only one who thinks the blade type is a bit superfluous?

Isn't it just as easy and quick to stick a sharp centre in the tailstock and reference off that?

What am I missing?

Jon

Thread: Material Sourcing
08/08/2014 22:59:49

Also M-Machine...

**LINK**

Chronos seem to be a little confused whether their rectangular bar is EN3B or EN1A

Jon

Thread: ARC - PayPal and Credit Cards
07/08/2014 16:25:45

Hi Ketan,

Thank you. I'll be more than happy to use my debit card over the phone.

Jon

07/08/2014 01:59:05

Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 07/08/2014 00:14:11:

I looked at your link Jon and it does not really give a proper picture. I could go on for some time (I will spare you all) but if your Debit Card carries the Visa or Mastercard Logo's you ARE covered under the act.

graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks, I appreciate your comments but I will still not be risking my debit card on-line as it could expose my current account.

Credit cards IMHO represent a pretty good way of ring-fencing on-line exposure and losses.

The risks are real and there are new vulnerabilities exposed every day.

Jon

06/08/2014 23:52:22

Hi Ketan,

Thank you for the explanation. I understand your position but it is a bit of a shame as I tend to make smaller purchases which will be penalized disproportionately and I am very reluctant to use my debit card for on-line transactions for the reasons detailed here (nothing personal to ARC)...

**LINK**

Are you still accepting telephone orders as that would overcome my issues with on-line debit card purchases?

Many thanks

Jon

Thread: British machine tools
05/08/2014 19:43:28

It's fun to generalize and be patriotic but it's pretty futile IMHO.

There are good and bad Far East manufacturers, as John S's recent visit to China showed, and we all know that there are good and bad British manufacturers. It will always be thus.

The only generalization I think we can legitimately make is that people are the same everywhere and as such; some are conscientious and some are rip-off merchants and some are corner cutters. It is independent of country.

Another generalization could be that marketing hype is and always has been the enemy of the consumer.

Jon

Thread: Shims for packing up cutting tools
01/08/2014 19:11:00

I like the idea of the double-sided tape but cheap feeler gauges and odd bits of flat stock for thicker shims are my parts of choice.

**LINK**

At £2.60 a pop and guaranteed burr-free flatness it seems a steal to me - HTH.

My biggest problem with my 4-way is that every side is a different height!

Have taken the plunge to a Dickson QCTP though. Can't wait to try it out.

Jon

Thread: Refractory brick equivalents, but smaller and free.
21/07/2014 09:10:30

Ken,

By an amazing coincidence I finally got round to trying the pieces I salvaged out of our old gas fire last night to harden a home-made half centre.

I hadn't seen your post and so wasn't sure it'd work but it did - perfectly.

Jon

Thread: Which lathe
17/07/2014 12:41:46
Posted by Bob Brown 1 on 17/07/2014 11:51:26:

You'd not buy a new car and a year later change the engine or gearbox or would you?

As a fully paid up member of "tool-aholics" I doubt there are very many of my tool purchases - old or new that haven't been fettled/primped or tweaked and I guess many a petrol-head would find it hard to answer that analogy honestly in the negative wink

Upgrading to the latest and greatest whizz-bang gizmo or other is what it's about for many of us cheeky

Jon

15/07/2014 13:54:31

+1 for Bede Tools in Jarrow.

I bought my ML7 through them via eBay and they shipped it to me by pallet at cost well packed and in perfect condition.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Tapering a flywheel shaft hole
24/06/2014 11:05:22

+1

If you mount your boring bar upside down and cut on the backside then you'll get a better fit if you're machining the shaft at the same topslide setting.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Which is the best parting tool ?
24/06/2014 09:50:52

Hi Brian,

I'd suggest avoiding the cheap brazed tip versions as others have said. In my experience these are too wide and hard to use. So, I've gone down the HSS route and have a similar rear toolpost version to Ian T's but in HSS and I have both thin and thick parting blades for it to cater for small and big parting jobs...

**LINK**

HTH

Jon

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest