By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Gibbs

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Gibbs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Woodwork Router Advice
11/03/2015 14:18:52

That doesn't bear thinking about does it?

At least his hearing will be ok though

Jon

11/03/2015 12:07:55

Hi Ian,

He could use a bandsaw for that job and IMHO it'd be much safer as more of the blade'd be guarded.

In his favour though he never gets close to the blade centre and never past it so kick-back will not be a big issue. It's more the objective danger of that exposed blade - eek!. Having it close to the ground just makes matter worse.

Lovely timber though

Jon

Thread: ML7 - Apron Slack
10/03/2015 13:03:36

+1 for Martin's comment about the lock nut (called the Simmonds nut in the manual) on the right hand end of the leadscrew.

Tightening this a bit should remove much of the slop but you do need some end-float otherwise it'll be too tight.

As Bazyle says though any backlash will be taken up when the carriage is being driven by the leadscrew so you do not need to worry too much on that score and when facing lock the carriage with the saddle lock.

HTH

Jon

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
06/03/2015 11:46:20
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/03/2015 10:12:01:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/03/2015 10:05:09:

Don't you know the Joni Mitchell song?

"We are stardust, million year-old carbon..."

Dodgy perception of time, for such a great singer.

MichaelG.

It's closer than "6000 year old carbon" (So she's clearly not a creationist) and you have to give her some artistic license as "13.8 Billion year-old carbon" doesn't scan very well wink

[As an after-thought I suppose it could be as young as 4.6 Billion years old which would be the age of the sun.]

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 06/03/2015 11:49:52

02/03/2015 08:35:51

...the trouble is that ivory is still being traded.

**LINK**

Thread: Toolpost grinder tips?
27/02/2015 12:01:34

Hi Scott,

Do you need a toolpost grinder for what you are doing?

If it's just a better surface finish you're after then how about a vertical shear cutting tool?

**LINK**

It was new to me but is very handy for finishing cuts and doesn't suffer the disadvantages of grinding.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Machining an ER 11 collet nose
27/02/2015 08:39:36

Hi Mark,

HH also describes his set-up for the internal ER collet taper too here...

**LINK**

All ER collets use the same 8 degree taper angle.

Jon

Thread: best way to hold milling tooling in lathe
26/02/2015 10:42:33

In my ML7 have tried end-mill holders which are the cheap and cheerful solution...

**LINK**

...but these need a draw-bar and can be a bit of a pig to remove too, as others have said.

I would recommend making yourself a dedicated ER32 collet chuck though, as others have said.

Harald Hall has instructions here...

**LINK**

...and I can thoroughly recommend them. You just need to buy the collets, nut and spanner to fit from somewhere like Arc...

**LINK**

HTH

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 26/02/2015 10:45:38

Thread: Single point with a tap?
24/02/2015 13:40:34

This may help...

**LINK**

Jon

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
24/02/2015 12:08:48

Finally finished off the pair of grinder rests to fit my new slow speed grinder...

As well as metal turning I do quite a bit of woodturning and so I needed to be able to double-up for swept back grinding woodturning tools with repeatability on both wheels. The table rests are not up to Harold Hall's spec but much better than the standard versions that came with the grinder and for small tools the close-fitting wrap-around table works well for me.

So far I'm very happy with both the grinder and the rests - rock solid and true.

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 24/02/2015 12:09:31

Thread: Internal Threading
18/02/2015 19:25:17

I can thoroughly recommend Harald Hall's instructions here...

**LINK**

HTH

Jon

Thread: ML7 Change wheel set up help please!
12/02/2015 09:01:25

Hi Martin,

Sorry I should have mentioned the finest thread pitch set-up being likely to be the one you wanted. Glad Les was able to set you right.

Small internal threading jobs are always going to be tricky to cut because of springing in any tool small enough to fit inside the bore without rubbing.

I can thoroughly recommend Martin Cleeve's book "Screwcutting in the lathe" ...

**LINK**

...good value too.

HTH

Jon

11/02/2015 16:29:14

Hi Martin,

You need pages 24, 25 and 26 of the manual (on pages 29, 30 & 31 of this pdf document)...

**LINK**

HTH

Jon

Thread: Cheap S00 Dickson Toolholders from Chronos
09/02/2015 13:38:45

Well don't you think that might have been the reason for my post? wink 2

The sub-text would be that they may be false economy. It was worth a punt IMHO because A&R haven't any in stock at the moment. It's worth pointing out that they are £8 each cheaper than the official Myford ones which is a hefty premium IMHO.

As it happens I can switch around my tooling to overcome the smaller headroom but in future I may be persuaded to wait until A&R have them back in. I think I might struggle to bring myself to buy the official Myford ones though.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Workshop visitors
09/02/2015 12:04:53

+1 for peanut butter.

Jon

Thread: Cheap S00 Dickson Toolholders from Chronos
09/02/2015 11:12:10

I was tempted by the Chronos offer of 2 Soba toolholder for £26.40. A saving of perhaps £3 each compared the the genuine A&R ones but they are currently not listing them on Ebay.

I'd looked at this thread...

**LINK**

...but thought it might be worth a punt.

My QCTP is an A&R Precision one.

To get the toolholders to fit at all I had to grind the slot wider (Dremel with a cheap AlOx wheel) before the retaining block would fit. On the plus side the holders do seem to be file-hard so grinding was my only real option. The 30 thou mentioned in the above thread seems about right - it took quite a bit of work to get it to fit.

The worst draw-back IMHO is that the bottom ledge of the holder is at least 1mm thicker than my A&R toolholders which means that my normal 10mm tooling is unuseable - above centre when wound right down. There doesn't seem to be a good reason for this.

One of the set-screws for the height adjustment was bent and the other was cross-threaded but luckily the screws are cheap enough but the savings are soon eroded if you have to change the screws. The socket screws are marked 12.9 but this is quite feint and poorly formed. The flange on the knurled adjusters are also slightly too big but that's fixable with a quick slim.

So, these are about ok but if like me you're tempted expect them to need a bit of fettling and so they may not be that cheap in the long run.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Parting Off MEW225
06/02/2015 12:00:02

Alan that looks a really neat holder.

I bought a cheap rear parting toolpost for my old ML7 from Chronos and then cannibalized it to use narrower parting blades...

**LINK**

I don't know if it's because I'm a newbie who doesn't know any better but parting MS has never presented any real problems with this set-up.

I use neat cutting oil liberally applied with a brush and a steady feed by hand and haven't had to resort to back gears for anything up to 2 inch diameter in EN3B with the narrow parting blade. There's certainly no chatter unless I reduce the feed.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Holding a ring on a lathe.
02/02/2015 14:54:55

Some of these methods look pretty good to me but as a newbie I've also read all sorts of stuff about balancing the compression on the chuck jaws along their length to prevent bell-mouthing.

Is my information out of date or am I just fussing unnecessarily?

Jon

Thread: Mk1 super 7 problems
27/01/2015 21:01:29

That looks a very useful diagram but are you sure about the TPI?

1/4" BSF rings true for Myford fixings but wouldn't that be 26 TPI rather than 20?

HTH

Jon

Thread: Myford ML7 Quick change tool post
25/01/2015 10:42:48

I see that they have no QCTP's or holders for sale at the moment which is a bit of a pity.

If it helps this was the situation when I was searching for mine. I sent A&R an ebay message and asked if they would contact me when they next had some available. Sure enough I received an email notification within a few weeks and was able to buy a set, along with extra holders.

Good luck

Jon

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest