By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Gibbs

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Gibbs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting BSPT threads with a die
13/05/2015 11:15:51

I know it as "I could be wrong"

Thread: Closing copper pipe ends
12/05/2015 13:30:33

I've never tried this but how about creating a silver steel cold forming die with an 18mm hemispherical depression in one half and a 15mm dome on the end of a cylindrical punch and walloping an end-feed Yorkshire pipe fitting with a FBH.

You could then solder it onto the end of your pipe?

Jon

Thread: Engineneering-homemade
12/05/2015 11:28:40

Well our charges are close to £3 per m^3 (1000 kg) if you add the water and sewerage charges together.

The potential energy in 1 m^3 of water with a minimum 7m head of water from the mains would be approx 70 kJ which equates to 0.019 kWhr even with 100% conversion efficiency.

The charge for 1 kWhr of electricity is usually less than about 13p so there's quite a big difference.

£156 or 13p per kWhr !

=> buy your electricity from the grid.

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 12/05/2015 11:30:38

12/05/2015 10:27:36

Hi Faruk,

Have you considered reconfiguring your water wheel to be backshot? - These are the most efficient of the simple non-turbine configured wheels... **LINK**

Only know this because of a trip to Cragside House in Northumberland - the home of Lord Armstrong.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Drawing Projections
11/05/2015 14:13:58

Hi Ron,

dm's make sense in the context of water when you consider that 1 dm^3 is 1kg.

You just need to keep the units and everything is clear.

As a kid of the 60's I was brought up on both systems transitioning around 11 from almost entirely imperial to entirely metric but it's made me comfortable with both systems and I know which I like best.

Jon

Thread: Seeking someone to make a component (spacer)
07/05/2015 10:38:21

This document lists PVC spacers as being required...

**LINK**

From these folks...

Wootons & Co Ltd, Unit 3, Grove Industrial Park, Grove Lane, Padiham, Burnley, Lancs, BB12 8DN

Tel: 01282 777315

Jon

Thread: Handmade BBC4 iplayer
07/05/2015 08:57:53
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/05/2015 21:04:13:
Posted by JasonB on 06/05/2015 19:54:52:

... then settle down to a bit of bodging in the woodswink 2

with a few too many power tools.

... nice set of spokeshaves though.

MichaelG.

+1, and what power tools they were too!

I was really bemused by the rather bizarre mixture of hand/power tools - The pole lathe and rounders followed by an angle-grinder/arbortec? Sublime to the ridiculous. I'm not sure I'd class the latter as slow TV really - an hour or two with an adze followed by a couple of travishers would have been more in keeping.

I did enjoy it though - Still a cut above the normal telly and it gives us something to moan and gripe about too wink

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 07/05/2015 09:01:47

Thread: Seeking someone to make a component (spacer)
06/05/2015 17:57:30
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 06/05/2015 17:08:45:
You need to buy plastic from a plastics supplier: LINK Works out at three quid for half a metre. Buy £50 and it's free shipping or I just collect as I am going past.

graham.

Thanks Graham - I stand corrected. Stored away for the next time I need plastic for a job.

Jon

06/05/2015 16:01:46

If it's just a spacer which won't absorb moisture then how about these...

**LINK**

10 for £1.20.

Jon

06/05/2015 11:10:52

Hi Richard,

Just a hint but I think you may need to consider the cost of 1" nylon rod...

**LINK**

Even in God's Own County it's not that cheap.

Jon

05/05/2015 14:31:14
Posted by JasonB on 05/05/2015 13:48:09:

Owen Bush's website, who is going for a lesson?

Thanks Jason. He has some knives on his website with bent steel handles which are much nicer looking and possibly more practical IMHO

...he's not really a woodworker I guess.

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 05/05/2015 14:31:52

05/05/2015 13:38:59

Having watched them both I can't help thinking that it was a bit of a wasted opportunity although I am grateful for something interesting on the box for a change.

Subtitling could have been used to provide a bit of a commentary without spoiling the "arty shots" which were perhaps a little too self indulgent IMHO. Was it really necessary or helpful to spend so much air-time showing falling sparks during the grinding and rising sparks from the hearth during the forge scenes for example?

Dare I say that the knife blade was really beautiful but what a bloody awful handle!

...but it's certainly infinitely better than mindless lack-of-talent shows.

Jon

Thread: cuttingthreads
05/05/2015 11:19:45

I'd recommend reading Martin Cleave's book on threading.

**LINK**

For the same reasons as Clive mentions, with a single point tool that's too pointed it's possible for full depth threads not to fit and in those circumstances I think it's better to also consider broadening the cuts rather than simply going deeper and deeper. Broadening the cuts will lead to stronger threads as well I'd have thought.

Jon

05/05/2015 11:05:02
Posted by DMB on 05/05/2015 10:43:30:

Yellow liquid = Nitric Acid?

+1 - almost certainly. Will etch/dissolve almost any non-precious metal.

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 05/05/2015 11:08:55

Thread: Cutting BSPT threads with a die
02/05/2015 15:32:46
Posted by Brian Wood on 02/05/2015 09:43:14:

Hello again Jon,

Setting the tool perpendicular to the tapered face as you suggest doesn't overcome the basic problem of the geometry of tool travel down the axis of the lathe across an angled surface.

Draw a sketch on paper to see what I mean

Brian

Hi Brian,

My point was to set the threading tool perpendicular to the taper axis and obviously change the setting on the the top-slide as well. I realize that cutting perpendicular to the taper face is wrong.

I think that the left hand picture would be as cut with a taper attachment and the second is with tailstock set-over (the whole lot is rotated so that the front face of the taper is parallel with the lathe bed) but I think that they may end up being practically identical. Having said that though I admit that the pitch length really would need to be made lightly longer in the second by a factor of sec(taper angle).

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 02/05/2015 15:37:04

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 02/05/2015 15:42:07

01/05/2015 19:36:37

Brian,

Can you not set the tool perpendicular to the axis of the taper rather than the surface of the taper?

I'd have thought that would result in the thread being cut right or an I missing something?

Jon

01/05/2015 16:59:10

I'd have thought you could single point thread it between centres fairly easily with the tailstock set over?

Jon

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
01/05/2015 16:34:20

Finally got around to fitting a DOL starter to my old Myford lathe in front of the Dewhurst reversing switch.

Hopefully the Dewhurst switch contacts will last a bit longer if they're not switching under load.

Unfortunately the starter stop switch is a bit small so I added a mushroom stop switch as well for good measure.

Jon

Thread: finish
30/04/2015 12:24:13

For idiot proof HSS tooling I can recommend the pre-formed HSS tools. They work well on steel and it ought to tell you once and for all whether your tools are ground correctly.

**LINK**

A bit more than blank toolbits and shaping your own but they just need touching up on a diamond hone to get them to cut well.

HTH

Jon

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
30/04/2015 09:15:21

For the toolaholics amongst us...

Man is a Tool-using Animal; weak in himself, and of small stature, he stands on a basis, at most for the flattest-soled, of some half-square foot, insecurely enough; has to straddle out his legs, lest the very wind supplant him. Feeblest of bipeds! Three quintals are a crushing load to him; the steer of the meadow tosses him aloft, like a waste rag. Nevertheless he can use tools, can devise tools; with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him; he kneads glowing iron, as if it were soft paste; seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.

- Thomas Carlyle

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest