By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Gibbs

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Gibbs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Brown Gunky Residue - Dormer Supercut or El-Cheapo ISO-32?
07/01/2016 13:54:13

Thanks Andrew,

I should have said that I use exclusively HSS tooling.

I do cut dry as well sometimes but have noticed an improvement in finish with neat oil, especially when cutting and drilling tricky material like stainless.

Jon

07/01/2016 13:39:37

Thank you Rod,

I'll try that stuff - It sounds as if I might using too much anyway from the accounts of others.

Thanks again

Jon

07/01/2016 11:00:57

I must admit I'm still quite new to this game and the first lot of cutting oil I bought was from Arc (Maxcut No 5) and it worked well but it did niff a bit. So much so the Missus complained. I also started to lubricate my ML7 with Arc's HLP-32.

As that ran out I bought some Dormer Supercut from my local steelstockists and it smells a bit better and seems to do a reasonable job - I'm now on the third bottle of the stuff which I use neat by brush or from the bottle. It's about the same cost, if not more money but is easier to get. I also recently switched to El-cheapo's ISO-32 at £10 per gallon - my old lathe pees oil from every orifice.

The problem I have is that I've noticed that my lathe saddle has started to stick when I get back to the lathe, until it gets oiled again and my taps have a gunky brown waxy residue on them with swarf mixed in. I thought it was rust to start with but it isn't - just brown waxy gunk.

Now my conclusion is that this gunk and stickiness is more likely to be the Dormer cutting oil rather than the cheap ISO32 but any other opinions? Does anyone use Supercut and like it. Are there any other cheap cutting oil options?

Many thanks

Jon

Thread: Thread cutting and Change gears
05/01/2016 13:49:31

If they're duplicates of either the smallest or the largest gears then they can be useful for setting up very slow feed rates.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Myford rear toolpost
14/12/2015 09:41:01

It looks to be the same rear toolpost they use for their HSS parting blades so it's clear the fault is with the parting blade/tip.

**LINK**

I would buy a HSS blade locally and send them the parting blade holder and tip back for replacement at their cost or if you're determined to keep it all, I'd grind/draw-file the bottom 2mm off the told holder and make a fixture similar to the one in the above post to make up the missing 2mm of height in the holder.

If you go the HSS route then I can thoroughly recommend the mod I made in the above post. I've parted 2" on the narrower 3/32" blade without any trouble at all and never put the old 5/32" blade back in.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Parting tool for ML7
24/11/2015 13:39:51

I bought a cheap chronos rear toolpost for parting on my ML7 as others have suggested. Although I have a short cross-slide it's the work of a moment to mount and demount it when it's needed when working larger stock.

This means parting is painless and trouble free.

I also modified the blade mount to take narrower blades which work even better IMHO - For more details see here...

**LINK**

I've never needed the larger blade since I made the mod but I still have it in case

HTH

Jon

Thread: Making torches and pens
19/11/2015 11:52:39

Well I'm sorry if I mis-interpretted Bazyle's intent by the question which could well have been entirely innocent.

...but there did seem to be at least an implied "bother" after the "why" from my reading of it i.e. "Why bother?"

Jon

19/11/2015 10:14:46
Posted by Bandersnatch on 18/11/2015 22:13:40:

Posted by Jon Gibbs on 18/11/2015 17:10:07:

I think that many of us if we're entirely honest spend at least some of our spare time doing things that could be construed as pointless and not cost-effective.

Is any hobby activity supposed to be "cost-effective"?

Clearly not wink

...but I was trying to give an honest answer to Bazyle who I think must have just got out of bed the wrong side yesterday.

Jon

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
18/11/2015 17:13:52

1915?

Thread: Making torches and pens
18/11/2015 17:10:07

I suppose I'm primarily a woodturner, whose engineering work was at least initially motivated by wanting to make accessories and tooling to support the woodworking. Now it has a bit of a life of its own but that's another story.

The problem with asking questions such as "why" is like the proverbial stone throwing in glass houses since I think that many of us if we're entirely honest spend at least some of our spare time doing things that could be construed as pointless and not cost-effective. I make plenty of things that represent very poor value if I were to value my time at anything even approaching half the minimum wage, let alone the real value and they're to support another pastime that's a bit pointless too!

I think the simple answer to "why" do we do any of it is because we can and because we enjoy it.

Having said that though, and I don't make them, but pens do sell quite well as presents, especially at this time of year. Wooden boxes are my thing and as Jason says there's a limit to what you can give away but I enjoy it none the less. I haven't seen torch kits and prefer a headtorch too but suspect that they may be fun to make.

HTH

Jon

11/11/2015 15:30:32
Posted by Ady1 on 11/11/2015 10:08:40:

It would be interesting to know whether you could refuse the VW "upgrade". I'm anticipating a similar call.Jon

You probably can, but it may be an MOT fail until it gets done

...but the "dodgy" software is supposed to detect when a test is being performed and give the right response.

So, unless the MOT test is altered my guess is that it'll do just fine when tested.

Jon

11/11/2015 14:53:42
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/11/2015 14:42:00:

> it was never going to result in anything other than worse fuel consumption and poorer performance but that sounds significantly worse than I'd expected.

I suspect that the poor fuel consumption will be owners being 'heavy footed' trying to recapture the lost performance.

Well you may be right, but from what I heard, the NOx conversion process requires a proportion of unburned fuel to enter the exhaust system which is why I thought the fuel consumption was bound to be hit.

Jon

11/11/2015 09:08:48
Posted by Clive Hartland on 11/11/2015 08:26:06:

I am one of the VW owners affected by all the problems that have arisen from the present troubles with engine exhaust pollution.

My car was given the software upgrade a few weeks back and since then it is a totally different car. The engine response on pressing down the accelerator is very poor, it needs to be down at least halfway before the engine responds whereas before it was responding as soon as you touched the pedal. The engine appears to be very, 'Woolly' in response and the acceleration time is now longer. This means quite careful anticipation of your place on the road regarding other cars. It is my feeling that the mpg has dropped too.

Sorry to hear that it's so bad Clive - it was never going to result in anything other than worse fuel consumption and poorer performance but that sounds significantly worse than I'd expected.

It would be interesting to know whether you could refuse the "upgrade". I'm anticipating a similar call.

Jon

09/11/2015 13:50:27

For those unfamiliar with these things, the gas fridge is another area where Einstein contributed to progress...

**LINK**

We've had various caravans over recent years which used ammonia cycle fridges, but our latest VW campervan has a really efficient 12V compressor fridge.

Jon

Thread: Myford Motor Swarf Guard
06/11/2015 15:23:35

Mine is more similar to Gordon's - a 2 litre icecream tub with the side cut off.

It a snug fit, doesn't rattle and isn't affected by cutting and lubrication oil flying around

Jon

Thread: Another band saw blade snapped Have I got the tension wrong.
03/11/2015 14:38:01

I'm not sure whether my findings are relevant to your problem but I bought an M42 14TPI blade from Tuffsaws because I'd been so impressed with the M42 blades on my big wood bandsaw and then had two of them break on me in close succession.

I reported my difficulties to Ian at Tuffsaws and he suggested that flexible carbon steel would be a better choice because of the tight curves and repeated flexing one way and then the other, inherent in the CY90 and other small bandsaws. He suggested that the thickness of the M42 blades was partly the problem.

Since switching to a SuperTuff Carbon steel blade I've not had any breakages.

HTH

Jon

Thread: Source of hardwood base material
06/10/2015 20:14:02

Ockenden Timber can't be far from you... **LINK**

Their bowl blanks are round but they also list carving blanks which might fit the bill.

HTH

Jon

Thread: A & R Precision 'Dickson' Toolpost -- Screws Used
09/09/2015 15:59:21

Hi KWIL,

Thanks but the trouble is that information is long out of date IMHO.

I bought a QCTP and holders last year from A&R but haven't seen anything on ebay since then or had responses to phone calls or emails.

Jon

09/09/2015 08:42:07

Hi Brian,

I have an A&R QCTP and couldn't get a response from A&R either.

I took a punt and bought some genuine standard Myford toolholders and they fit perfectly straight off.

They have slightly thicker lower shelves but not excessively so and I can still use 3/8" tooling on my ML7.

I bought some from Chronos and these were pretty poor but have no experience of the RDG ones.

HTH

Jon

02/09/2015 12:22:15

Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 02/09/2015 11:21:20:

Before I moved to sunny Hampshire, I did a stint on my local IEE Area committee. The committee members worked hard to arrange a programme of interesting lectures for the members. Nowadays I try to get to the monthly lectures arranged by the Solent Retired Members Section. That programme, too, is varied and interesting. Maybe you should have a look at the lecture programme in your area?

I take my hat off to you for volunteering.

Although I've attended one lecture over the years as I'm still working I always seem to have better things to do - like being in the workshop wink

The IET do pretty well out of me though - I keep paying my dues even though I really don't feel I get much in return. I'm also a Senior member of the IEEE although that is significantly better value IMHO.

Jon

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest