By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Gibbs

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Gibbs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Source of good HSS lathe tool blanks
30/05/2018 13:30:07

+1 for MSC but wait for a postage-free day or buy some other stuff too.

I like 8% Cobalt HSS best in my tangential holders as it keeps its edge better.

Jon

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
29/05/2018 11:31:08
Posted by JimmieS on 27/05/2018 21:47:32:

Just reading a review of ‘Exactly How Precision Engineers Created The Modern World’ by Simon Winchester and smiled on reading ‘One striking thing is that ……. virtually all the advances in precision engineering seem to have been made by men, a high proportion of whom appear to have lacked fluent social skills. And it is really not clear that this is because women have been forcibly and unfairly forbidden from taking more of an intertest in things such as screw thread counts.

Indeed, almost every advance in engineering and technology covered in this book can be narrowed down even further, to middle-aged men from just four countries: Britain, France, Germany and America.’

I wouldn't call myself a feminist but it seems pretty clear that Simon Winchester needs a few history lessons and perhaps ought to have checked his facts, as well as dare I say "his privilege", before making comments like that.

The likes of Ruby Loftus in WW2, and her predecessors in WW1, only got their chances during wartime and were pretty much dropped as soon as peace was declared. In earlier years Ada Lovelace only got her recognition because she was rich and Byron's daughter and, despite being arguably more talented and farsighted, was forced to play second-fiddle to Charles Babbage.

Jon

Thread: What's the best alternative to 'loctited'
22/05/2018 11:52:19

It is still a bit vague but "bonded" would be an alternative.

16/05/2018 08:50:00

If we're talking favourite T-shirt logos, this is mine...

Jon

Thread: drilling a 20mmx 300mm Hole in cast iron
11/05/2018 09:04:40

Ahhh, I stand corrected then.

I thought it would cut a bit like a broach and the cast iron graphite would aid lubrication.

11/05/2018 08:52:29

Is it an Armstrong gun?

Button rifling the cast iron barrel might be quite fun to try.

Jon

08/05/2018 10:26:35

Nothing to do with ME but yesterday afternoon the wife and I and our two dogs drove round to Wasdale Head and walked the Mosedale Horseshoe (Door Head, Red Pike, Scoat, Steeple and Pillar). Our older lab Orla completed her second round of all of the Wainwright fells on Pillar.

We parked at 2:45, just as the weekenders were heading for home, and were back at the van around 9:15 as dusk was closing in. Only saw 3 other people on the fells. Hard work in the heat up to Door Head but blissful to have the fells pretty much to ourselves in the evening sunshine. smiley

Thread: Change Wheels for Myford ML10
03/05/2018 15:27:01

There may be some duplicates here but how about this listing?...

**LINK**

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
03/05/2018 10:41:29
Posted by John Haine on 02/05/2018 22:52:13:

Why wouldn't a lathe one work? The geometry should be just the same whether the tool or the work rotates.

+1, I use several cheap Chinese SCLCR boring bars with CCMT-06XXX inserts shortened and turned down to 3/8" in my boring head very successfully.

The slight trailing droop of the insert makes no difference in practice and in fact seems to put the cutting tip right on the centre line of the boring head for me. For larger bars you can mill a flat on the bar wherever you like to get the tip to lie on axis if you're that concerned.

The banggood ones come with 10 inserts for around a tenner which is under the £15 import threshold if you can wait that long (2-3 weeks).

HTH

Jon

Thread: Is this normal in backing plates
03/05/2018 09:57:54

If you're really after an unmachined cast backplate then Chronos have them here (P&P included)... **LINK**

Thread: How to remove a chuck from a Boxford model A
02/05/2018 16:28:10

I'd guess it was made in 1950... **LINK**

Jon

Thread: Mobile Networks
01/05/2018 16:53:34
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 01/05/2018 16:46:56:

Posted by Jon Gibbs on 01/05/2018 11:10:57:

There are only 4 real operators in the UK - EE, 3, Vodafone and O2. Every other seller piggy-backs on one of these. See **LINK**

HTH

Jon

Point of detail, recent change: EE are now BT. I doubt it will make much difference at least in the short term.

It's a fair cop although they're still trading under the EE banner and the original owners are still involved. Deutsche Telekom now owns 12% of BT and Orange owns 4% of BT after the trade.

Thread: How to remove a chuck from a Boxford model A
01/05/2018 13:54:29

As a last resort you could always unbolt the chuck and turn off the backplate.

Most 4-jaws have front mounted screws and a new backplate can easily be knocked up or even bought cheaply.

It'd be a lot cheaper than a bu$$ered bull wheel.

Jon

Thread: Mobile Networks
01/05/2018 11:10:57

I am on PAYG with O2 and have my own SIM-free Android phone but because I use data I buy a £10 bundle every month.

I live in Cumbria and the only good way IMHO to choose an operator is to find one that provides the best coverage for the services you want in the areas you live and work in.

There are only 4 real operators in the UK - EE, 3, Vodafone and O2. Every other seller piggy-backs on one of these. See **LINK**

HTH

Jon

01/05/2018 09:52:21

Getting very close now with the final parts of Harold Hall's end mill sharpening fixture.

Just a final milling of flats onto the 6-way indexing collar left, and it's done.

Couldn't resist and so had a try at sharpening the teeth on some end mills and slot drills last night and very happy with the results angel

I have bought a couple of cheap diamond wheels from Banggood and hope to fit them onto arbors soon to help touch up carbide tooling too.

Jon

Thread: Hexagon Head v. Allen/Cap Head screws/bolts
26/04/2018 12:03:23
Posted by duncan webster on 26/04/2018 10:25:38:

I think that less then M4 capheads are a right royal pain as the key slips or jams before you get anything like tight. Anyone recommend a decent brand of Allen key which won't break the bank

For a close fitting set I can recommend Wera... **LINK**

The extra length and ball ends are pretty handy IMHO

Thread: Any idea what this is?
24/04/2018 08:49:33

Jammy so-an-so.

I particularly liked the coincidence of a marine engineer finding a model marine engine in bits.

Frankie and Benjy mouse must have spent some time on that one!

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 24/04/2018 08:52:03

Thread: Maching flats
23/04/2018 16:47:45

It's making sure that the vice or material remain the same distance from the cutter across the full range of movement.

This video from Tom Lipton at Oxtools shows how to tram a vice. You can use the same procedure to tram material.

**LINK** (To save you watching the pre-amble start at about 8 minutes)

HTH

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 23/04/2018 16:58:38

23/04/2018 16:30:02

Ian's method will work if you can return the bar level again. If you know how deep the flat is you can pack with shim or a feeler gauge stack or if you can't do that then use a dti to tram the top in the vice.

I'd be tempted to extend the bar out of the (vice trammed to one axis of the mill) vice to give access to both sides of the bar and leave it in place throughout. Then you can use the sides of an end mill to mill each flat in turn. You will need to mill these in opposite directions to avoid climb milling.

This will also mean that your end-mill needs to be stiff enough (big enough diameter) and long enough to reach the base of the flat from above the bar and will leave a curved end to the flats but there's no alignment error (provided your end-mill doesn't flex).

HTH

Jon

23/04/2018 15:21:08

Hi Roger,

How long are the flats and how long is the brass round?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest