By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for derek hall 1

Here is a list of all the postings derek hall 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Paper under vices.
20/02/2021 08:50:41

I agree with the comments above, just make sure table is smooth and the bottom of the vice and no swarf can be trapped.

You can use paper to assist with clamping work between the vice jaws or other clamps but this would only be temporary just for the job in hand.

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Sad News : John Wilding
19/02/2021 19:42:24

Very sad news, I never met him but to be in on conversation with him and GHT over a cuppa....wow....

He left behind some great books and construction articles, thanks John.

Condolences to his family.

Regards

Derek

Thread: A Marine Condensing Engine
19/02/2021 17:06:34

Great work Tug. Really good to see the old engine designs of ME so many years ago come to life. Maybe many are put off building them with the unavailability of castings or even having to making the moulds for such, but just shows what can be done out of the "solid".

I am following your build with interest. I too am a manual lathe and mill twiddler, though one day I might look at a DRO for the mill but as for CNC and g-code and all that....nah not for me, but horses for courses.

But equally entranced with what Jason turns out...

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
16/02/2021 17:17:56

Not being an expert on forums but is this classed as an archaic forum? Or is it going to be change for changes sake.

No many people like change but that's life nothing ever stays the same...

Regards to all

Derek

11/02/2021 15:40:05

Neil,

You said and I quote

"The editor is hard to use and non-standard"..............surely this cannot apply to our esteemed editor ! wink

Derek

Thread: Engineering / Modelling Books for Winter Evenings?
11/02/2021 15:30:22

Oh no...I was in Hamburg 2019...for a long weekend....if only I knew about this museum when I was there.....sigh.....oh well lets hope we all get the opportunity to get out soon.

I want to go to the Forncett museum as its sort of near me and I have never heard of it until I read about it on this forum.

Anyway my contribution to the engineering books to read are: The Rotary Aero Engine by Andrew Nahum

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Model making on mainstream radio??!!
10/02/2021 16:39:59

Thought they were a prog rock group from the 70's.......

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Ml7 resettable dials
26/01/2021 13:17:51
Posted by ega on 26/01/2021 12:10:22:

As the answer to the OP's question seems to be a qualified "no" it seems worth pointing out that GHT and others have published designs for shop-made re-settable dials.

I realise that ML7 owners may not wish to make their own dials but it is certainly possible for them to do so.

Hi,

I converted my super 7 crossslide dial to the modification suggested by GHT last year and it works really well - much better than the original.

GHT did also cover in the same article regarding modifying the ML7....

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: How big Are Your Chips
25/01/2021 20:30:58
Posted by Pete. on 25/01/2021 20:07:35:

Some of the people on this forum having sleepless nights over a man in his shed drilling a 3mm hole in a piece of metal would have an aneurysm if they saw what went on in that factory.

Brilliant comment!!!.......made me laugh. smiley

I wonder what they were making...?

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: How not to use a clamp
24/01/2021 08:04:44
Posted by Mike Poole on 22/01/2021 15:06:55:

I cringe when people chuck spanner’s on the table of a machine, a table protector makes a useful place to put things down safely when setting up but once cutting is underway any tools left out will be buried in swarf. If cutting fluid is used then soft metal or plastic is better than wood.

Mike

I am terrible at doing that!....I mean I don't bang them down hard enough to dink the table!

So today i am going to make one....thanks for the reminder smiley

Back to the topic, David Colwill a great post, it is easy to sit back and criticise based on one photo and limited description of the task being undertaken.

There seem to be some on here who based on that photo, will now spend all day using stress analysis calculations to work out the amount of torque to tighten the clamps and to try and analyse the metallurgy of the steel clamps as well as how much the clamping bolts stretch and the component being compressed.

Come on everyone let's take a step back from this nit picking. The photo in my view (47 years engineering experience), does not demonstrate poor practice based on the job being done.

Best wishes to you all

Derek

23/01/2021 05:02:03

During my apprenticeship I was shown that interposing thin paper between the table and workpiece and or clamps go a long way to protect the table and also provide better grip/contact during clamping without overtighting and possible distortion or damage to table and or workpiece.

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Marine Engine Flywheel Fixing
20/01/2021 14:25:39

Although your question Ramon refers to marine reciprocating engines. I served an apprenticeship in a shipyard in the 1970's, where we installed marine diesel engines and they all most definitely had flywheels.

The flywheel was separate from the engine and bolted onto the crankshaft via a machined matching spigot and with fitted bolts. A short tail shaft was then fitted between the flywheel and the thrust bearing (a Michell bearing). From the thrust bearing the prop shaft and the prop was fitted.

I guess steam engines would have had a similar layout but I am sure there would have been some sort of flywheel fitted for the small turning engine to engage with to rotate the engine manually prior to starting...but marine steam was a bit before my time!

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Lathe Tool Height
18/01/2021 16:43:43

I recall many years ago during my apprenticeship scrabbling around looking for bits of shim to set my lathe tool at centre height, I thought at the time there must be a more efficient way to do this....then I discovered the Dickson quick change tool system, never going back to cutting bits of tin can!....

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Super 7 Lathe Clutch, Countershaft or Pulley Wobble
05/01/2021 13:38:50

I checked my circa 1963 Myford super 7 countershaft and it too has a very slight wobble when the clutch is disengaged.

If I remember I will clock it tonight after work and see what its doing.

I have to say though that I have had this lathe since early 80's and made loads of things on it, not had any issues at all regarding surface finish or vibration.

Make sure that tools are sharp and on centre height and rake and relief angles are near what they should be for the material being machined and the lathe tool has minimum projection (overhang) from the tool post. Obviously the type of material, speed and feeds need to be correct for the job in hand.

If all this is ok then it will be time to look elsewhere, but check the simple stuff first. It is very easy to dive in and strip down components - and upon reassembling them you could introduce new additional problems.

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
23/12/2020 12:22:27

It is a question I often ask myself, where do all these models of locos, ic engines and stationary steam engines etc end up?

Another question what proportion never get completed?

It would take me several lifetimes to build a model Merlin engine....that actually runs.

Happy xmas to all

Derek

Thread: Message from ARC to our customers in the E.U.
10/12/2020 12:12:18

Dave

If the lathe was running (it appears stopped)

My caption would be:

"Hair today, gone in a second"

Do I win the £5 prize?

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Excellent Service
09/12/2020 16:46:25

A mention for Westfield Fasteners as well, easy to order (and pay!), arrived quickly. Lot of stainless steel cap head screws etc at very reasonable prices. No personal connection with them but highly recommended....

Regards

Derek

Thread: Useful MEW Table
08/12/2020 12:14:29

Ever since I was given my first Zeus book in my first year of my apprenticeship way back in 1974, I always wondered about the unsung hero who originally hand wrote all those fraction sizes on some master sheet before it was sent to the printers - who was he or she?

Even the latest version has the same "style" so has remained unchanged since the first edition of Zeus whenever that was.....

Regards to all

Derek

Thread: Contacting Hemingway?
08/12/2020 10:40:02

That is unusual, normally Kirk replies pretty quickly by email in my experience...

Hope all is ok?

Regards

Derek

Thread: Is this Gold?
08/12/2020 10:37:53

I remember being at the dispersal auction of the late great Tom Walshaw (aka Tubal Cain) where all of his workshop equipment and tools was being sold including his Myford S7 and mill.

When I inspected the lathe (I did not buy it) I was amazed at how the HSS lathe tools were honed to an almost mirror finish. I think I recall that he was an advocate for honing HSS tools before use rather than just left in the "as ground" condition......was it something to do with getting a better finish on a job?

(I wish I had bought his lathe...I could only afford to buy one of his scribers at the time......)

Regards to all

Derek

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest