By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Barnaby Wilde

Here is a list of all the postings Barnaby Wilde has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Illegal CD copy
13/06/2019 20:17:10

Are there any professional model engineering article writers?

Are any of these 'authors' solely in it for the £money?

11/06/2019 18:45:16

Wow. Some of you really are dinosaurs & fully fit the demographic that MyTimeMedia sell to their advertisers (inc' all those tracking cookies).

Instead of moaning & whingeing that them new fangled DVD's are potentially destroying your enjoyment of sitting down in your comfy chair with a piece of the rainforest in your hands, you should be using your years of experience & well matured wisdom into coming up with the ideas that might ensure the future survival of a community of model engineers & their combined knowledge.

Discussing the rights & wrongs of piracy & copyright theft is futile, it exists & can only become more popular & widespread.

Until you can accept & acknowledge that it is NOT piracy that is causing magazine sales to plummet & it is NOT piracy that spells out the impending doom of your comfort zone of choice, then there is little hope for your future.

Thread: Mystery Tool
24/04/2019 18:46:54

An old saw setting tool. Now I see it.

We Googled every keyword we could think of & nothing even remotely similar came up. When you Google a saw setting tool then it all makes sense.

Cheers.

24/04/2019 18:07:03

I do know that you lot like a challenge & you seem quite good at this mystery tool game.

Found at the roadside & very rusty, it caught one of my engineers eye as he's an avid knife collector but it looks like this is not a modified knife blade. The handle looks out of place & may not be the original. The blade is 5" long, stiff with a ridge that runs to the end where it fans out near the 2x semi circular notches. The notches cut into the side are staggered & don't seem to be too well cut but this maybe an affect of the rust. The surface is heavily pitted from rust but it appears to have been a beautifully balanced bit of steel with a polished surface.

Any ideas? Best guess so far in't wokshop is some kind of home chicken/bird feather plucker ???

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Edited By Mick Charity on 24/04/2019 18:08:20

Thread: VAT on eBooks
18/01/2019 20:05:54
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/01/2019 14:37:55:

Unfortunately when the traditional business model fails you will lose professionally produced magazines and along with everyone else.

Neil (A.K.A. Mr Grumpy)

I don't miss skool, I won't miss you & I certainly won't miss the paper magazines. Perhaps, when I'm waiting my turn at my barbers . . .

18/01/2019 04:59:36
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/01/2019 21:08:45:

Well if everyone follows your example, I take you last point and I might as well pack my bags now...

Neil

I didn't pioneer this approach, merely embraced it. Traditional revenue channels are fast disappearing & unless new channels are explored & exploited then the day will soon come when the traditional business model fails.

17/01/2019 20:13:07

I'll be controversial & admit that I no longer pay £money for media of any description. Whether it be audio or visual, I have embraced the true spirit of the internets.

I have over 3gb of eBooks on my cloud & thanks to this approach I have gone from spending £5-£10 a month on books & mags to spending over £50 a month. Work that one out.

Authors of written work need to take a long & serious look at what's happened to the music industry & how it currently earns it's revenue, because the days of easy money are well & truly over.

Thread: Colin Chapman - Great Lives, 4:30 today
16/01/2019 18:17:37

I built a Locost 7 a few years ago & went deep into just how much of a genius this chap was.

Thread: Gold Plating
16/01/2019 05:50:48
Posted by Mark Bus on 16/01/2019 01:28:30:

Hi,

So I'm building a clock and rather than lacquering to prevent tarnishing I've been thinking about gold plating. Has anyone tried to do it him or herself ? And since I don't have the patience to do a mirror polish preparation how would gold plating look or would it even work with, say, a 600 grit abrasive paper finish, then a polish job, and then the plating?

Thanks,

Mark

Plating does not hide blemishes, it enhances them. If you gold plate a rough finish then you will end up with a shiny gold plated rough finish that's easier to see.

If you Google 'gold plating kit' then you will find quite a few suppliers of relatively inexpensive kits, a few of them are even respectable. All of them will tell you how easy & cheap it is to attain that perfect 22ct gold finish this side of parting you from your money.

Thread: Yet more confusion!
13/01/2019 17:41:00
Posted by J Hancock on 13/01/2019 17:15:49:

From the old axiom that, ' move anything and the centre of gravity of the world changes' , I do wonder if the

spin axis has moved by the loss of the Aral Sea,Three Gorges project and many more big civil jobs in

the last two centuries. Coreolis effect and all that.

I used to think that the world revolved around ME. It doesn't of course, that's just me being silly. Of course it revolves around the Sun . . . . Which shines out of my @r53

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
13/01/2019 13:16:30
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 13/01/2019 08:29:50:

Whilst searching for something not obviously aircraft related ... I happened across this group of early issues of 'Flight' **LINK**

https://archive.org/search.php?query=flight%20international%201913

Enthusiasts should find much there to enjoy.

MichaelG.

Cheers. It's not like my reading list is getting any shorter but my mate is already half way through them.

13/01/2019 13:15:07

On the subject of Airlander 10, I don't get it. What is it other than a novelty? Can it ever be a commercial success?

Thread: Yet more confusion!
12/01/2019 16:50:11

We have never enjoyed a stable climate.

We have never enjoyed a stable political system.

We have never enjoyed a stable economic system.

What have we ever enjoyed that could be classed as stable?

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
12/01/2019 16:26:31
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 12/01/2019 11:59:42:

Utter nonsense, I'm afraid.

If it wasn't for a virtual private network, you wouldn't get your magazines.

A VPN is how I am able to connect securely to MyTimeMedia's server and, with colleagues, share the folders containing all the files for each issue of MEW.

In short it allows the internet to provide the connections to MTM's network so I don't have to work remotely.

Almost every business operating from more than one location depends on VPNs to operate.

Yes, like many other things they can be abused, but that doesn't make them fundamentally bad.

Neil

A VPN can be created between computers for no cost at all. This is the type of VPN you are using Neil.

The type of VPN that is nothing more than an idiot tax is something entirely different.

11/01/2019 18:28:12
Posted by martin perman on 11/01/2019 18:19:37:

Thank you I googled VPN to try and understand it but it spoke of IP addresses and Servers, now I'm not daft but why do I have to fiddle with those.

It just seems like another piece of software thats been created to earn money.

Martin P

It is, you are absolutely right. It's what we call an 'idiot tax'.

11/01/2019 17:55:16
Posted by martin perman on 11/01/2019 17:21:47:

Whats VPN

A VPN is an acronym for 'virtual private network'.

VPN's are often used by idiots who think nothing can be traced back to them.

11/01/2019 17:07:48
Posted by KWIL on 11/01/2019 15:12:10:

What am I doing correctly?, I rarely get scam emails or phone calls as described in this thread!!

Is it possible that perhaps you have yet to 'embrace' the modern world? Even the most security aware of us are still subject to the random block diallers of phone numbers.

Thread: Chinese postal charges
10/01/2019 13:49:31

There is all this & much, much more wrong in the world today.

Can we keep our righteous indignation to ourselve's please until I've ordered a few more items???

Ta.

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
10/01/2019 07:15:38
Posted by Danny M2Z on 10/01/2019 03:00:12:

Like our knee jerk firearms laws, this is harassing and penalising the innocent, law abiding majority for the transgressions of a few nutbags.

History has proven that prohibition & restriction has little to no effect on criminality other than to drive it underground & further outside of the reach of control. In very many instances it has made a bad situation worse. They know this, they're not stupid, but they have to do something, anything. They have to be seen to be tackling the problems, even if they are made aware of the consequences by respected advisors. They do this to 'appease' the majority, which isn't difficult as the majority seem to be asleep. One other, far more dangerous aspect, is that events like this can be used to introduce legislation that the majority simply would not accept in other circumstances.

They are going to chuck £millions in hardware to secure these airfields & it won't work.

09/01/2019 19:43:28

I think it's safe to say now that the initial reports of a drone were internal sabotage linked to the GAP/Vinci deal.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest