By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: VAT criticisms?
14/12/2016 16:43:30

The government needs to generate income to pay for the cost of running the country. They do that through taxes. What does it matter what they call it, VAT, purchase tax, income tax, excise duty et al? We have to pay it whatever. I have lived in a country where few people paid taxes, as a result there were few services. In the UK we should be happy that we live in one of the most highly developed countries in the world, and we have to pay for it.

Thread: Traction Engine Boiler
13/12/2016 13:59:23

Alan Waddington posted "Ah,16swg, you didn't mention that bit !.....i think rusting through would be the least of your worries if you tried to steam that laugh"

I checked the original Minnie design and that used 16swg copper, so I think 16swg steel would be more than adequate.

I thought that I would search amongst my six, 4 feet high piles of ME mags to find the original articles by Mason. To my utter amazement vol 135 was on top of the pile! My search took all of one minute.

Well, it is definitely a Minnie boiler, I might add the missing stays and pressure test it, if it is ok I might go ahead and build the model, I have been looking for a project.

To keep costs down I would cast the wheel rims and any other suitable parts from aluminium

12/12/2016 18:11:51

It is brazed throughout. The tubes appear to be copper. It is 16swg.

Backplate and throatplate stays could easily be added.

If I were to build a Minnie I would probably only steam it the once and then it would become a display model.

I had no intention of building a traction engine, I just bought the boiler out of interest.

12/12/2016 14:39:16

Because it is only about 16swg steel and would rust through very quickly.

12/12/2016 13:46:16

I went to the Newark Autojumble yesterday and found this nicely built boiler that was in filthy condition. I had concerns about the material it was made from but bought it anyway. On cleaning it up I found that, as suspected, it was made of steel. My question is why would anyone invest so much time an energy in making a boiler from a totally inappropriate material? It had occurred to me that it could be the basis of a static model. Can anyone identify if this is made to a published design?

There are a two more pictures in my album entitled "boiler"

By the way it only cost me a fiver.

boiler 2.jpg

Thread: Making an engineers sliding bevel. Apprentice piece?
09/12/2016 19:16:37

As a left handed ex teacher of Design and Technology I used to get very cross with students who used their left-handedness as an excuse for incompetence. All it needs is practice and then more practice.

Thread: Telephone Scam ??
01/12/2016 16:27:48

I once had a call from someone who clamed he was from my insurance company and asked for some personal details "for security". I refused to give him any information and told him to write if he was genuine. Turned out he was and had cancelled my policy! It took quite a bit of trouble to get it reinstated.

Thread: Shaver blade refills
25/11/2016 20:28:10

Not quite a razor but I used to use surgical scalpels continuously in my work. When they got dull I used to strop them on the cardboard that I was cutting. It made a huge improvement in their sharpness but it only worked a couple of times before I had to replace the blade.

Edited By norman valentine on 25/11/2016 20:28:35

Thread: Heinz Beanz advert banned for health and safety reasons
23/11/2016 11:58:56

I recently bought an electric kettle that switches off automatically when it boils. The instructions stated that it should not be left unattended. I thought that was why auto kettles were invented.

Thread: Can you get left handed 10" coarse files?
19/11/2016 11:55:06

Being left handed myself I can understand Jack's problem. I think that left hand files would be wonderful but prohibitively expensive. I get grooves in my work when I hold the file in the natural position. I get around this by changing my direction of cut at frequent intervals whilst cursing file makers. This works for me. On one heavy filing job (shaping the frames for a 7 1/4" loco, 3/16" thick, done as a pair) I used a "Dreadnought" file, this was not affected by the direction of cut but needed a lot of pressure to achieve a cut but took a lot of material with each stroke.

Thread: Can anyone identify this type of scissor jack
17/11/2016 22:30:21

Make a quick model out of mecano, if you don't have mecano cut some strips of cardboard.

Thread: Mixing fractions and decimal units in an imperial drawing
05/11/2016 22:16:05

If you are making the drawings for yourself you can use any system that you like. Personally, as an ex draughtsman but now 69 years old, I would dimension all my drawings in millimetres. They are so much better.

Thread: Jovilabe
26/10/2016 16:26:23

Neil, if at the end it doesn't work all you need to do is crush it flat and throw it in the sea somewhere coral will grow over it. Then in 2000 years or so when archeologists find it they will get headaches trying to figure out what it is and how it is supposed to work. Make sure that you engrave your name on it so that you will forever be recorded in history.

By the way it is a great piece of work.

Edited By norman valentine on 26/10/2016 16:27:00

Thread: Tools I would like to have
24/10/2016 17:17:39

Neil, I am left handed, I know that you are joking re the left hand screwdriver but left handed screws (woodscrews) would make life easier for left handed people. When a screw is tight I find that using my left hand is far more difficult than using my right hand. It appears to be that the muscles that you use when twisting your wrist 'outwards' are stronger than the muscles used for twisting 'inwards'. I have learned to cope with stupid right handed scissors but I am grateful for electric screwdrivers.

Edited By norman valentine on 24/10/2016 17:18:26

Thread: steady behind lathe
16/09/2016 16:15:10

Been there, done that. In a brain dead moment I tried to turn the end of a thin bar with lots of metal sticking out of the back of the headstock. It was "really" exciting in that second or two before I hit the stop button!

Thread: loctite or silver solder
12/09/2016 16:47:54

30 years ago when I built Martin Evan's "Dart" I Loctited and pinned the crankshaft. I am sure that the 1/8" roll pins were sufficient on their own but the Loctite gave added security in the 1" dia. shaft.

Thread: what price to sell boxford lathe
15/07/2016 21:51:44

I'll give you £50, or alternatively you could look on Ebay at completed sales.That will give you the market price. You're probably looking at more like £2000

Thread: Quorn
14/07/2016 21:55:41

Funnily enough I found that cutting the tee slot was relatively simple. I just followed the instructions and ensured that the tools were set up precisely. Making the cutters was complicated by the fact that I don't have a tool and cutter grinder! I just used my angle grinder very carefully.

14/07/2016 20:01:44

Thank you Jason and John P, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Edited By norman valentine on 14/07/2016 20:03:14

14/07/2016 18:38:15

That's the point. They are not in the book.

Why would I be asking if it was there?

Edited By norman valentine on 14/07/2016 18:40:37

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate