By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: English dialect
13/09/2017 21:56:30

Could it be a derivation of the word cant as used in shipbuilding to describe an angled frame?

Thread: Turning a rectangular plate into a circular one
07/09/2017 19:31:14

Once you have cut them into octagons have another go at then with the angle grinder to turn them into sixteenagons.

Thread: Open Cup Grinder Wheel Recommendations?
29/08/2017 15:16:05

Isn't there a problem with diamond wheels that you can't dress them to make them run true?

Thread: Epoxy Resin
26/08/2017 20:46:06

Could this just be good marketing? I only use Araldite for anything that matters. It is not important, the cost of an individual "adhesion" is so small that is does not really matter. I fixed my glasses today, it worked, that is all that matters.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
26/08/2017 19:11:53

Fifteen or so years ago when I was living in Kenya I employed two men, and they were really men, To dig a hole ten feet deep by ten feet diameter into rock. They used chisels and hammers, at the end of each day they went to the local blacksmith to get their chisels beaten back into shape and rehardened. It took them three weeks to complete the task. I did not have it in my heart to point out that the hole tapered down to only six feet diameter at the bottom.

Thread: Off Topic - Travel to Farnham
23/08/2017 20:58:44

Duncan is probably correct, a few years ago on my return to UK I planned to travel from RAF Brize Norton to Welwyn Garden City which would have involved taxi, train, train, and taxi. I can't remember the cost but with me and two daughters and loads of luggage the £125 taxi fare direct seemed cheap.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
20/08/2017 22:37:07

img_0436.jpgI have read the posts on dividing plates with interest.

I built a rotary table/dividing head (**LINK**) and found that making the dividing plates was easy. I wrapped a strip of paper around my chuck and cut it to the exact circumference. Using the skills that I learned in my technical drawing classes 55 years ago I divided the strip into the number of divisions that I required and used that to space the holes. It was a little tedious but also buttock clenching as I didn't want to have to do it twice. Here are a couple of pics to show what I did.

37.jpg

Thread: What Material for 5C collet Rack
20/08/2017 20:24:55

"an hour machining CI can give me black bogies"

Yes Jason, and ten minutes using an angle grinder!

Thread: Scrapping an Electric Cooker
20/08/2017 20:09:13

It gets worse for me. I thought that the two coils of "copper" that I harvested from the transformer appeared to be a little light in weight so I tried the application of a gas torch with it and a length of wire that I knew was copper. Guess what, the coils from the microwave are aluminium! Are well, into the skip it goes and the search for real copper continues.

I'll save the fan and motor, that might come in handy one day.

20/08/2017 17:38:57

Frances, the transformer contained 300g of copper far less than the youtube video, that I had watched, suggested. That's pretty much what I had expected, these days I only believe what I have experienced for myself.

What makes it worse is that I am not experienced in electronic stuff and did not recognise the second fuse holder and found, after I had cut some wires. that there was a quick blow fuse that had indeed blown. Maybe it had blown because of some uneconomic fault. I will never know, now I have to keep looking for some scrap copper. (and buy a new microwave!)

19/08/2017 21:50:34

Thanks for the suggestion Graham, I've already had it apart and it is not the fuse unfortunately.

19/08/2017 20:56:39

A few years ago the door on my oven shattered a fortnight before Christmas. I tried to order a new one from Electrolux but there were none in stock. Instead Electrolux delivered me a replacement oven, free of charge, on Christmas eve. There is a Santa!

Currently, my microwave has died, I understand that there is over a kilo of copper in it, I need some copper so I will be dismantling it.

Thread: Milling in a pillar drill
03/07/2017 18:13:14

I have a very robust bench drill that has a Jacobs taper on the end of the spindle. I have tried using a 2" diameter flap sander in the chuck and all that happens is that the chuck pops off and goes spinning across the floor. A drilling machine is for drilling and a milling machine is for milling, simple.

Edited By norman valentine on 03/07/2017 18:13:45

Thread: Harold Hall's Advanced Grinding Rest
26/06/2017 17:30:28

John, I made parts, 4,7,8,9,17,18 and 20 from cast aluminium with some copper added to the alloy which makes it harder.

26/06/2017 16:08:08

I have just completed this grinding rest and have mounted it on a board with a bench grinder modified as he suggests with a mount that is adjustable for height and angle. I used aluminium castings for all the larger blocks of metal. I have also made the end mill sharpening attachment, all that is left to do are the collets.img_0373.jpg

Edited By norman valentine on 26/06/2017 16:09:37

Thread: What is it?
16/05/2017 12:32:35

Is that a centre in the tailstock? If so it is not reversed.

13/05/2017 13:10:58

Ebay No. 122485824478

13/05/2017 11:13:03

I find it intriguing because it has belt drive to both the headstock and tailstock.

13/05/2017 10:17:01

I found this on Ebay and was intrigued as to its purpose. Anybody know?s-l1600.jpg

Thread: ENGINEERING
10/05/2017 18:10:34

I was wondering what a waste of perfectly good coke.

Edited By norman valentine on 10/05/2017 18:10:56

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest