By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What to use for New Worktop?
20/03/2020 16:52:30

There have been some good suggestions for worktops but my suggestion of 8x2 with 6mm mdf top would only cost around £50. If you have money to waste......

Edited By norman valentine on 20/03/2020 16:54:57

20/03/2020 12:31:08

In my recently built workshop I used 8x2 pine topped with 6mm mdf. With sufficient support it is more than enough and changing the mdf when it is damaged is not that expensive.

Thread: Left handed lathe.
23/02/2020 21:33:16

PGK, I am left handed, left dominant eye, but I still struggle to shoot a bow accurately. Am I just incompetent?

Thread: Bicycle pedals
15/02/2020 13:29:31

When I was a boy I stripped and rebuilt my bike and fitted a fixed wheel gear. When I rode the bike I could not understand why the pedals kept dropping off until I realised that I had fitted the crank and chain on the wrong side.

Thread: Log in
13/02/2020 07:58:41

I have seen this discussed here before but unfortunately  didn’t take any notice

Edited By norman valentine on 13/02/2020 07:59:10

13/02/2020 07:56:30

I have the same problem as NDIY. Yes I do tick the ‘remember me’ box. I do not log in with any other devices. Sometimes I have to log in on every visit even on the same day. Funnily enough when I came on this morning I didn’t have to log in.

12/02/2020 22:02:28

It doesn’t work that way here. I have to type in my username and password every time.

12/02/2020 21:35:54

Why do I have to login every time that I come on to this site? Other forums that I use enable me to stay logged in. They make life so much easier. Is Model Engineer so special that they do not need to consider their customers?

Thread: scam alert
11/02/2020 09:06:35

I once received a phone call from a man purporting to be from my insurance company . He wanted to ask some ‘security ‘ questions. Not trusting him I said he should write to me as I was not prepared to answer his questions on the phone. He did write and told me that he had cancelled my insurance 😖

Thread: Brian's 1" Minnie Traction Engine
05/02/2020 16:06:47

On my Minnie I bored it parallel but stepped it. At first it looked horrible as you could see the steps , a quick spray with Matt black paint hid it, I don’t intend to steam mine but soot will do the same job on a working model.

Thread: How do I change the "default" lever angle on my Verdict DTI?
04/02/2020 11:09:16

I have had a Baty DTI for a number of years with the same problem. After reading this thread I took my heart in my hands and forced the lever. After some initial resistance it moved! If it hadn’t been for all your posts I would not have dared to do it. Thank you everyone, I now have a usable DTI.

Thread: Help with FML reading lamp please
03/11/2019 19:57:53

Why bother with it? You can buy a ' sewing machine light' on Ebay for less than £5. They are fantastic value for money.

Thread: Raglan training lathe value?
19/10/2019 21:15:34

I use a loughborough as my everyday machine. I typically take 20thou(.5mm) cuts with no problems. Great lathe, cheap to buy, what is to ask for more?

Thread: angle plate
19/10/2019 20:55:56

I could not understand how you ensured that they were at right angles.

Thread: What are these punches intended for
07/10/2019 14:31:21

I have been given a quantity of small punches and I am wondering what they are for. I tried punching steel but it did not leave much of a mark. They work well on aluminium. Are they for hallmarking precious metals?20191007_142233.jpg

Thread: New tool post for my lathe
03/10/2019 15:30:17

Howard, how can you say that a 4 way toolpost is not slower that a qctp? Farting around with bits of packing, trying to find one the right thickness? A qctp is so much better just as long as you have lots of toolholders. That is the problem, having enough toolholders. I have Dickson but only 4 holders, I would like another 4. I would never go back to a 4 way toolpost. I have to frequently change the tool in one of my holders but it is still much quicker than searching for the right piece of packing!

Edited By norman valentine on 03/10/2019 15:32:09

03/10/2019 12:27:07

The problem with the Dickson toolpots is that the toolholders are very expensive. The wedge type of toolpost has toolholders that are nearly half the price. Arceuro stock them.

Thread: Scissors
13/09/2019 14:50:17

Thank you everybody, I knew that I would get an answer here.

They are not mine, but the chap that owns them will be pleased to know. He has had them for years and has always wondered what they were for.

13/09/2019 13:15:11

Does anyone know what these scissors are intended for?4c9e7709-c1b3-4ce1-8743-f4768de7a9c3.jpeg

Thread: Bottle labelling machine
24/07/2019 16:35:43

Some years ago I had a need to label bottles in batches of 1000. I could not afford a commercial machine so I built one using shafts and pulleys and belts from an old photo-copied that I had stripped some years previously. I used a wooden baseboard and sheet aluminium for the side plates. All.done with hand tools. To use it you laid the bottle on a pair of rollers and cranked the handle once. It was very efficient, it took longer to move the bottles around than it did to affix the labels. Unfortunately I no longer have a photo.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest