By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Building a small bench
07/03/2021 17:03:19

I am surprised at how much fuss is made about a simple workbench. I have a wooden workshop so my bench is fixed to the main structure. 3x2 cls for the main frame and 8x2 for the bench top covered with 6mm mdf. It is more than adequate and not too expensive. And no, I did not use fusion to model it, I just built it.

Edited By norman valentine on 07/03/2021 17:08:33

Thread: Minnie Gunmetal Bronze and Brass
25/01/2021 09:30:08

GLR Kennions stock bronze hexagon in lengths down to 6"

Thread: Air Compressor Warning
24/01/2021 19:02:14

I have been left almost shaking with disbelief at this thread. Some years ago I bought a small compressor at an autojumble. When I got it home I placed it on my bench and switched it on. I was a little surprised at how long it took to come up to pressure when suddenly the pressure relief valve blew off. I was standing beside it at chest level, imagine if that had exploded!!!!

My next compressor will be new.

Thread: Is there an easy way to make lots of scale model seats?
14/01/2021 14:52:46

Are the shapes suitable for vacuum forming?

Thread: 'jerryrigeverything'
11/01/2021 15:22:44

Talking of youtube channels that inspire, I am waiting for 'Project Binky' to be moved to mainstream TV. They are brilliant! Well explained, extreme skills and bloody funny. If you don't know them look them up!

Thread: Calor gas butane workshop radiant heater
23/12/2020 22:37:57

LPG heaters produce a lot of water in the combustion gases, not the best thing to have in a workshop, Stick with electric heating.

Thread: Grizzly ? .......... not just a lathe.
17/12/2020 21:06:23

I can't understand it, and I am a native English speaker.

Thread: Travelling in Tiers
14/12/2020 21:46:45

Instead of picking faults with the tier that the government has put you in maybe you should just take care to protect yourself and others around you. The government will be damned whatever they do.

Thread: Non-renewable energy
27/11/2020 18:58:52

Fossil fuels are on there way out, nuclear fuels will run out. With our increasing population wind and solar will have to cover the whole planet to produce enough power to satisfy everyone. the only answer is for everybody to use substantially less power. Are you prepared to give up your car or central heating or air conditioning to save the planet?

Thread: Another scam
09/11/2020 18:57:09

A friend received an email from someone in Portugal saying that he had won an Iphone 11 and he should send his address details. I advised him not to but he ignored me and sent his details. A few days later he received his Iphone!

So much for my advice.

Thread: Adjustable angle plate
26/10/2020 19:31:37

Am I missing something? If you were looking for a fixed angle plate I could understand the search for accuracy but for an adjustable plate my first question would be are you looking for metric or imperial?

Thread: Grumpy old men
11/10/2020 16:02:55

How about "lathing a part"

11/10/2020 13:28:56

I have enjoyed reading this, I agree with almost every example cited. One that gets me going is the use of to when they mean also!, It should be too!!!

I am also guilty of embarrassing my daughter when she says 'can I get'. I always suggest that she goes around the counter to serve herself. She must hate me.

I think that it is a losing battle, the language is changing. How many shops still sell produce in pounds? How long ago was it that we went metric? How many people here still use inches instead of the much better metric system? Move on!

Edited By norman valentine on 11/10/2020 13:30:42

Thread: Making a simple punch and die
09/10/2020 19:02:03

You will probably get away without making a die., Using a piece of hardwood end grain as an anvil will work. I have punched holes in stainless steel rulers this way and it works fine.

Thread: What cleaning solution?
03/10/2020 16:55:44

Cigarette lighter fluid is good and does not leave a residue.

Thread: Awstin or Ostin
01/10/2020 20:27:48

Oil give it foive! Does nobody remember Janice from 'Juke Box Jury'?

01/10/2020 18:09:38

Janice!

Thread: Interference
23/09/2020 12:30:10

Back in the 1970s I worked on the production line making Shredded Wheat. At the end of the conveyor that carried them through the oven was a Radyne (I think that was the name) microwave dryer. Apparently when it was first installed it wiped out the police radio communications for the area, it took quite a while for the police to locate the problem. Once shielding was installed it was fine.

Thread: Best way to remember Mill movements when turning hand wheels
18/09/2020 18:39:42

On my milling machine the x axis moves away fronm the handle with a clockwise turn of the handle and the y axis is opposite. this caused me lots of problems when I first used it until I worked out what to do. The x axis is how you would expect it , for the y axis I just think of the tool as being the part that moves. Now I find that I have no problem deciding which way to turn the handles. Easy!

Thread: Rotary Table 3 or 4 slot?
18/09/2020 16:39:52

I have found that the best number of slots is on the table that I have got.

I made it, and four slots seemed logical. I haven't found otherwise. But I am sure that if I had made it with three slots I would have been equally happy.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest