By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Castable refractory - any experiences with Ciment Fondu?
25/03/2018 22:41:57

I agree with Nick, I bought the right stuff and my foundry is in its sixth year and nothing flaking off.

Thread: Un workable steel
25/03/2018 12:02:09

Yesterday, at a car boot sale I bought 3 flat irons as a potential source of cast iron. I tried machining one and found it rather hard, so I put them in my furnace and heated them up to red heat for about 20 minutes and then left them to cool down overnight. I have just tried to machine one again, it is hard but machinable. I am pleased to have found some cast iron that I can use for future projects.

Thread: Wooden Clock
17/03/2018 16:20:50

Here is a challenge to clock makers here.

**LINK**

Thread: Is society becoming more stupid
10/03/2018 13:51:27

During my daughters formative years we lived in the Falkland Islands and behind our house was a mountain. They used to go there to play and there was many a time that I would look up, with my heart in my mouth, to see them standing on the top of a rocky outcrop. Despite my fears I never told them no, I did say take care. They have grown up to be very self reliant and prepared to take on challenges that their peers in UK are too scared, or their parents won't allow, to accept.

Let kids take chances, don't blame somebody else for the accidents. It is all part of growing up!

Thread: Rack and pinion efficiency
05/03/2018 17:22:30

My Loughborough lathe has rack and pinion drive for the saddle but I found, when cutting 3mm wide keyways that the force required was enormous and I quickly gave up and made a slotting attachment that does the job without any strain on the lathe mechanism.

The point of my reply is that I think that it is possible to put so much force into it that something is sure to break, so avoid it!

Thread: FREE TO GOOD HOME
26/02/2018 22:43:40

Dougie, good luck with trying to find a home for your mags. I had an almost complete set from 1940-1995 and advertised them at a price that would cover my costs. Very few takers, instead I am reading them, keeping the few that seem important to me and the rest go in the dustbin. I have got rid of threequarters of them and am still working my way through the pile. I am currently reading wartime issues from 1940, the staples are so thin that they have rusted away. It is such a waste.

26/02/2018 19:24:51

"So is that "The West Lothian Question"?"

Good one Neil.

Edited By norman valentine on 26/02/2018 19:25:18

Thread: Accurate measurement
09/02/2018 19:51:22

I use a dial caliper for most of my work, I find that it is accurate enough for me as long as I wipe the jaws each time I use it and pinch on the outside of the jaws to ensure that they close properly on the work. I find that they agree with my micrometers.

I used to use a Lidl digital caliper in the mistaken idea that repeatability not absolute accuracy was the most important factor. Then I realised that they don't score in either.

Edited By norman valentine on 09/02/2018 19:52:01

Thread: Lathe bench height
07/02/2018 22:03:29

I disagree with both of the above, my lathe is set with the cross slide at 1100mm from the floor and I still find myself stooping. I have thought of raising it another 100mm.

Thread: Cat Litter Recommendation
21/01/2018 09:11:22

Lidl sell a Fullers earth cat litter, it comes in a blue bag. It is very cheap but you will need to grind it up in a coffee grinder to make it usable.

Thread: Keyway cutter for Myford
28/12/2017 16:33:43

Earlier in this post I mentioned that I was making a slotting tool. It is now complete. I made it for my Raglan lathe and it mounts in place of the topslide. I found it to be very straightforward to use and on a test piece I was able to make 2 thou. deep cuts, without any sense of straining anything, and no dig-ins. When I tried slotting by racking the saddle backwards and forwards 1 thou was a strain and I had lots of dig-ins.

The actual cutter holder is interchangeable and can be made to suit the bore of the job in hand.img_0576.jpg

Edited By norman valentine on 28/12/2017 16:38:12

Thread: Minnie Traction - Perch Bracket
23/12/2017 16:56:01

I did not find it necessary to anneal the steel (that's poetic!). I cut a block of wood and bent the metal around it. The dimensions are not critical, if it looks ok it is ok.

Once it is bent mount it in the four jaw chuck with the block of wood and bore the hole.img_0571.jpg

Edited By norman valentine on 23/12/2017 17:03:33

Thread: Keyway cutter for Myford
12/12/2017 21:59:10

John, my answer to your question is more (keyways) than I am prepared to risk damaging my lathe for. That is the reason that I am making a slotting tool. If I only use it occasionally it will have been worth it. I have a few more to do in my current project so the time will be well spent. I have plenty of time as I am retired.

12/12/2017 18:33:03

I have just recently cut several keyways 2.5 and 3mm wide for my Minnie Traction Engine using a tool in the toolpost of my Loughborough Training lathe and using the handwheel to feed it. This machine is a more substantial than a Myford but I was definitely in fear of something breaking. Today I have started making a slotting tool that does not depend on the lathe mechanism at all. I have designed it to replace the topslide and be lever operated similar to Rod's photo.

Edited By norman valentine on 12/12/2017 18:50:30

Thread: Steel hardness numbers
26/10/2017 22:41:43

An angle grinder is the answer to your problems.

Thread: Removing Chucks
26/10/2017 21:57:12

NDIY. If you have a problem with not enough room for material sticking out of the back of your lathe just drill a hole in the wall. you can always put a plug in it when it is not needed.

26/10/2017 21:33:32

Yes. I am still using my Loughborough lathe, I used to have access to a Myford 254. Changing chucks on that was a pain in the arse. I have never needed to run a lathe backwards so threaded chucks are fine as far as I am concerned..

Thread: Are you offended when the media poke fun at your hobby?
26/10/2017 21:28:44

Isn't it wonderful to be recognised?

Thread: Removing Chucks
26/10/2017 16:47:34

I am happy that my lathe is "well bedded in", I change chucks 3 or 4 or 5 times a day. I find it quicker to change chucks than to change from inside to outside jaws and consequently I have two 3 jaw (actually three) and two 4 jaw chucks. (and two faceplates)

Thread: A simple and cheap swarf pickup tool
24/10/2017 19:39:53

Danny, I thought that it was a good idea but there is no harm in having a joke. I object to being called a muppet.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest