By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rotational Wobble
22/02/2015 17:12:49

Thankfully I don't have a wife, so I don't need to worry about it!

22/02/2015 17:05:33

No, no, no! I can't bear it, Stop picking on me!

22/02/2015 16:23:36

"Now as I bore down into the second layer an osculation sets in"

Well you'll have to stop snogging it!

Thread: Sight glass or plastic?
13/02/2015 18:49:42

I once used to run a winery and we had a problem with some of the wine, it started to ferment in the bottles and corks kept popping. I had to call in HMRC to witness the pouring of it down the drain, 1000 bottles! They only watched for a short time and then left me to it. It was only after I had finished that someone pointed out that I could have distilled it to make Brandy. Just as long as I didn't get caught!

Thread: Looking for Engineering Co that does odd jobs
13/02/2015 10:53:01

I live in an area with a dearth of engineering firms. My only local company has been happy to do a couple of jobs at reasonable prices. As Brian suggests, go knocking on a few doors, you might be lucky.

Thread: Lathe tachometer
11/02/2015 13:40:49

I used a cheap tachometer purchased on Ebay for my home built milling machine. It uses a proximity switch as a sensor and does not need a magnet. I reads off a hole 10mm D x 6mm deep on the edge of a pulley. It works well.

cimg3513.jpg

Thread: MECCANO compatible pieces, any ideas?
09/01/2015 21:22:55

When I was a kid I loved and hated Meccano. I loved what could be built but hated how I used to catch the tips of my fingernails under the parts that I was attempting to join together.

Thread: Help on key for 4-jaw chuck needed
30/12/2014 16:34:15

I don't understand what all the fuss is. Just make it with mild steel, it will be strong enough. Yes, it will wear out, then make another one. What's the problem?

Thread: What did you Get Today
25/12/2014 16:05:31

Nothing

Thread: Cheap Tools ........ Grrrrrrrr.!!!!!
09/12/2014 16:52:18

I like cheap tools. I bought an angle grinder from B&Q it cost £18 and came with a 2 year guarantee. After 2 months of heavy work it burnt out, I returned it and it was replaced. 6 months later the replacement burnt out, I took it back but the did not have any replacements in stock. They returned my money. That's not bad, 8 months use of an angle grinder for free! I will certainly buy another.

Thread: Case hardening question
29/11/2014 16:03:07

When case hardening there is no need to temper the metal as it is only a surface skin that is hard. The metal under the skin remains soft giving the component the toughness that you need.

Thread: MEW 194 - Electric Motor Warning
25/11/2014 16:28:18

Alan, I am not an expert, so can't be relied on but I have one of those lovely Hoover motors. I wanted to fit it on a machine that needed to run in either direction. I identified the pairs of wires that fed each coil and after that it was quite easy following one of the diagrams in Tubal Cains "Model Engineers Handbook". I have to admit that I melted the capacitor at the first attempt but now it works fine.

Edited By norman valentine on 25/11/2014 16:28:39

Thread: poor engineering companys
22/10/2014 14:58:34

Gosh, I hadn't realised how lucky I have been. I recently completed the building of a vertical milling machine from castings that I made myself. There were two jobs that I could not do so I went to a local company, Adams Engineering, Skegness. They milled a flat surface on an aluminium casting 24" x 3" and threaded the end of a 16mm splined shaft. Their work was spot on and not expensive.

There are people out there that can do jobs at realistic prices, you just have to search for them.

Thread: Small rotary tables
26/09/2014 19:51:34

28.jpgI wanted a small rotary table and decided to have a go at making one for myself. It is now nearly complete, I have just got the division plates to make. Here is a photo of it, if you are interested in how I have done it you can find a build log on the Madmodder website in the "Projects" section.

Thread: Machine vice - Vertex/Arc Euro Trade/Gloster?
08/09/2014 17:30:01

Why not make your own? That's what I did.24.jpg

Thread: Machining - sitting or standing?
08/09/2014 17:27:01

I have a stool in my workshop and seem to spend more time moving it out of the way than actually using it. I have back problems and find that I get terrible back ache working on a lathe for any length of time. To alleviate this I mounted my lathe onto concrete blocks which raised it over six inches. I found that helps a lot, I have never found it convenient to work sitting on a stool.

Thread: Backyard Casting
08/09/2014 08:45:23

6.jpgI would argue the need for degassing tablets. I did some casting at evening school some 40 years ago, we degassed the metal and the resulting casting was full of bubbles.

Over the last few years I have produced approximately 40 castings in aluminium at home and have not done anything to degass the metal. None of my castings have shown any bubbles. when machined.

Whether you degass or not have a go at casting it is very addictive! It also can save you a lot of money, I am currently building a rotary table and the cost of materials if built from bar stock was over £40 but with castings the only real cost has been the fuel for the furnace and that is under £5.

Edited By norman valentine on 08/09/2014 08:46:02

Thread: Buzzed by Spitfire!
22/08/2014 17:05:24

Many years ago I used to own a vineyard on the Isle of Wight, I used to do guided tours for the visitors. Once when I had started a tour some more people arrived and I had to ask them to wait. A few minutes later a couple of Vulcan bombers started to circle overhead and remained doing so for several minutes. It kept them happy whilst waiting, better than any sideshow that I could have organised!

Thread: Jointing compounds
21/08/2014 20:15:06

Loctite produce a liquid gasket that should do the job.

Thread: Moving Machines
18/07/2014 20:15:59

It is very interesting to read all of these suggestions, all of which are very sensible. But, when you are starting from scratch, with no lumps of timber or lengths of steel rod laying around it becomes very expensive. My workshop is at the bottom of a 15 foot(feet) high muddy slope. I can only access it in dry weather and have so far managed to install a couple of smallish lathes but fear having to remove them. The only practical way that I can see is using lots of manpower, but where do I find them?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest