By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Grinder for end mills and drills
22/04/2016 21:47:57

Thanks John, do you want your magazines back?

Clive, Hemingway's tool and cutter grinder kit is £400. I was hoping to find a plan that would enable me to make it from scrap steel plus aluminium castings that I can make myself.

22/04/2016 20:55:58

I would like to build a tool grinder. I have most copies of ME from the 40s to the 70s. Is there a plan or even better a construction series hidden away amongst those mags that would be good to build? I don't have enough years left to read my way through them all!

Thanks, Norman

Thread: Food glorious FOOD
19/04/2016 16:25:26

Tonight for my supper I will be eating Githeri. A Kenyan dish of beans and maize. When I lived in Kenya I often ate Nile Perch, Tilapia and Goat but the vegetarian Githeri is the best.

Thread: Are dogs clever or stupid?
18/04/2016 19:14:49

Rod, that just proves he was stupid. I live in Skegness and would never choose to come here!

Thread: Next Project - guess?
26/03/2016 12:12:35

A word of caution, I used a large gas torch in my workshop to heat some metal for bending. When I had finished I had a layer of condensation over all metal surfaces which quickly turned to rust.

Thread: Amazing clock
08/02/2016 20:40:44

John, you ask why bother? It's obvious, because it can be done. I think that it is wonderful.

Thread: sealant
01/02/2016 17:14:35

The machining allowances between "instant gasket" and paper based gaskets is different. Check your drawings to see what has been specified.

Thread: Abuse of the word "free"
31/01/2016 20:12:26

Pete, are you referring to "proper" gallons or U.S. gallons?

Thread: Rotary table / indexing (help)
27/01/2016 19:08:11

Mine is 30:1, but then I did make it myself.

27/01/2016 16:27:26

Dave Gingery has a very clear explanation of how to work it out in book number 6 of his series " Build Your Own Metal Working Shop From Scrap" "The Dividing Head & Deluxe Accessories".

Thread: Black Ice
17/01/2016 14:27:55

My story is not ancient history, it is today! I live on the coast in Lincolnshire, not so cold but it has been quite damp recently. My driveway is a grassy uphill 20 degree slope. Over the last couple of weeks I have managed to get out twice and that is with a Land Rover! Traction control, hill descent control mean nothing when you are on semi-liquid mud. I need to get someone in to lay some hardcore,

Thread: cheap rev counter
13/01/2016 16:54:49

I bought a cheap Chinese rev counter for my milling machine and spent a long time trying to get it to read off the magnet that I had installed. I only got it to work when someone suggested that I had a Hall Effect Sensor that did not require a magnet and would read off the shallow hole that I dad drilled to mount the magnet.

Thread: Metal cutting jigsaw
07/12/2015 21:12:57

I have used a jigsaw to cut 1/4" brass. As long as you keep the pressure light it is possible to cut straight but certainly not quickly.

Thread: a replacement tool to cut sheet steel.
30/11/2015 13:44:10

I don't know if this is relevant but I had to cut some 1/4" brass sheet. I started with a hand held hack saw but the depth of cut was insufficient. Next I tried an angle grinder with a cutting disc but it clogged. What was successful was a jig saw with a fairly coarse blade. It was slow but it did the job.

Thread: Cutting through steel/iron round bar
19/11/2015 21:03:54

When I worked as a teacher of Design Technology I often had kids ask me if it was possible to cut steel. To them it was the hardest thing in their universe. I have watched many people using a hacksaw, brisk cuts (60 per min) and light pressure seems to be the way to cut quickly and accurately.

Thread: Use By/ Best Before Dates
17/11/2015 21:43:49

I used to make alcoholic ginger beer for sale. It was required for me to put a sell by date on it. I had no idea how long it would be safe to drink it and certainly could not afford for scientific tests to be done. I guessed six months, nobody died. Do the manufacturers of food products really know how long and how safe their products are? Mankind has survived for many thousands of years eating anything that would keep them alive. Yes, some died, but as a race we are still here.

Thread: Bee Keeping
14/11/2015 00:00:36

I used to live in Kenya , I bought a 'Kenyan top bar hive' which was a very simple trapezium shaped hive that anyone could have built. The clever part of the design was the top bars, they had a groove machined along the bottom that had a line of beeswax in it. You hung the hive up and the smell of the beeswax attracted the bees. I had bees in my hive after a couple of months. If you Google "Kenya top bar hive" you will find a dimensioned drawing and details of this type of hive.

Edited By norman valentine on 14/11/2015 00:03:07

Edited By norman valentine on 14/11/2015 00:04:44

Thread: What mm (0.3 or 0.5mm) and what grade of pencil lead (HB, B, 2B etc)?
09/11/2015 16:35:07

As an ex draughtsman I have always favoured proper wooden pencils. Sharpening them is relaxing and gives you time to think about the next part of the drawing. I could never get on with propelling pencils.

Thread: The Ass is out of the stables
29/10/2015 19:49:52

1984 comes to mind.

Thread: Bearing preload without threads?
15/10/2015 14:09:56

I had exactly the same situation with the milling machine that I built. What I did was to buy a taperlock pulley and drill and tap four holes through the bush, I then used grub screws to bear onto the rim of the bearing. It works perfectly. The attached photo shows how it appears, I machined the groove oncimg3460.jpg the pulley away.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest