By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
11/05/2014 19:24:59

About a year ago the thread on my rubbish Chinese vice sheared. Since then I have been using a 2" Stanley clamp on vice that has struggled to hold my work. I did not want to buy another cheapo vice but did not have the funds to buy a goodun. Finally last week I got a decent English made vice on Ebay for £10. I stripped it down and repainted it over the last couple of days.

08/05/2014 19:12:42

I have been stripping the paint from a newly acquired vice. Tomorrow I will paint it and mount it on my bench.

Thread: Bandsaw repairs
12/03/2014 17:52:16

My memory is playing tricks, it was ten years ago. I believe that I used to remove the nut at the back to take the wheel off the machine and then the spindle could be driven out after the front nut had been removed.

12/03/2014 11:32:05

I have used a DeWalt bandsaw, can't remember the model. The top wheel used to seize up regularly due to an accumulation of sawdust. It was simply a matter of removing the nut in the centre of the wheel and then it would pull off and as a temporary measure the bearings could be flushed out with WD40 or similar. The best solution was replacement of the bearings with good quality properly sealed bearings.

Thread: Hand cutting frames
02/03/2014 21:25:10

When I was building my "Dart" I cut the two frames (total thickness 3/8" over a period of one week of sawing and filing every evening for about 3 hours. I didn't think that it was too bad. A dreadnought file and a lot of pressure takes metal off very quickly.

Thread: Anecdotes_05 ' In the dark '
16/02/2014 11:52:24

I was a teacher before I retired. Good peripheral vision was very useful in a workshop environment when I was able to catch many misbehaving pupils who thought that I couldn't see them.

Norman

Thread: Myford 254 lathe
13/02/2014 21:30:15

I used a 254 for four years. Good lathe except for the method of engaging back gear, you have to loosen 4 allen screws on the end of the spindle. Why did they have to make them two different sizes?

Norman

Thread: Damaged motor - Not Happy
31/01/2014 18:46:33

In an ideal world Eric's packing method would be fine but prohibitively expensive. In the real world packaging has to be designed to use the least materials possible, at the least cost and for the goods to arrive with an acceptable proportion arriving in good condition. The cost of packaging has to be weighed against the cost of replacement of those that are damaged. It is a cost of business to make good any damage incurred in transit.

Thread: Old penny worth turning.....
26/01/2014 21:14:50

When I was a kid my dad had a model of a spitfire made from an old penny. It had been beaten out, folded in half and the sides folded down and then all filed to shape to make the unmistakable shape of a Spitfire.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest