By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quorn
14/07/2016 16:14:13

I have a bought a partly built Quorn. I also bought the book to help me with the construction. The casting for the rotating base was missing so I decided to make it from mild steel. I am near to completing it and have just noticed at the beginning of the book there is a note to say that the design of the base had been changed because of the difficulty some people were finding in machining the casting. Were these changes detailed in ME? If so can anybody tell me which in issue it is featured or can anybody give me the details of the changes?

Thanks, Norman

Edited By norman valentine on 14/07/2016 16:15:07

Thread: Picador Linisher
12/07/2016 15:39:52

I used to have a belt sander that took 4" wide belts. It was very useful and had the charming name of "Willow Whipetoff"

Thread: Large tap and die
04/07/2016 16:01:39

This is a message for "Rainbows" who is advertising for a large tap and die. I might be able to help. Send me a PM.

Norman

Thread: which camera?
15/06/2016 21:31:14

Vic, the Fuji GW690 that I have produces slides that are 60 x 90 mm. with the fantastic lens that it has you will find it hard to beat.

If you would like to own this fantastic camera I would be prepared to talk.

Edited By norman valentine on 15/06/2016 21:32:26

Thread: How accurately can you machine?
06/06/2016 15:38:27

I don't understand 'why' you need to know. As Jason pointed out you only need to make things fit. If you are building a one off model it doesn't matter how accurate other people make their work, as long as yours fit. Unless of course if your hobby is making things as accurately as possible. If so, that is an honourable pursuit.

Edited By norman valentine on 06/06/2016 15:39:16

Thread: which camera?
29/05/2016 17:31:02

Here is my problem, I was brought up on film photography. I own a Contax II with an F1.5 Sonnar lens, arguably the best ever camera made (that will start an argument!) a Fuji GW690, a Nikon D1. But, a big but, my best pictures come from a cheap digital compact camera. The trouble is I love the mechanics of those old cameras. I have been on a waiting list for over eight years to have my Contax camera overhauled by the acknowledged expert in the world. Only two more years to go! Yes, I know that it is not economically viable, but it makes me feel good,.

28/05/2016 18:19:22

Norman!!! I would never dream of joining a CAMERA club. I enjoy "photography". Back in the 60s I went to a local camera club meeting as they had a famous "art" photographer giving a talk. I was bemused by all the questions about his camera and technique and nothing about the pictures. I never went there again.

Norman

28/05/2016 16:42:11

These days digital compact cameras are so good that I think that it is unnecessary to bother with a big cumbersome SLR. Any of the big names produce cameras that will fulfil 99% of most peoples needs. Plus they are tiny and you can keep them in your pocket and still walk straight.

As an example of how good they can be I have a family snap printed to A3 from less than half of the frame of a cheapo Casio digital compact and it can be viewed from 2 feet and still look sharp.

Further to Dave's comment in the previous post, if you want to print your images you will appreciate the gain in quality from using a good printer and ink. I use an Epson R2880, fantastic quality but the ink is pricey. It is pointless buying a good printer and then using cheap ink. 

Edited By norman valentine on 28/05/2016 16:47:11

Thread: Draughting Pens
23/05/2016 21:50:09

A tale from the Water Co. drawing office. A lady was employed as a tracer, she spent a week tracing a wiring diagram for a pumping station onto linen. She had made a beautiful job of it and just had to do the lettering. In those days we used Uno pens and stencils. Those of you who have used Uno pens will understand this trauma. Her Uno pen tipped over and spilled ink over her drawing. It was wonderful to see how everyone rallied round. Those who had expertise at erasing the ink went to work and the drawing was saved. It was not perfect but it served its purpose.

Those of you who use CAD do not know how easy it is these days.

23/05/2016 21:37:12

Georgineer, that is a work of Art!

22/05/2016 10:06:36

Duncan, Snopake is opaque so how did you make prints from the drawings on linen? We used to use a sharp blade to remove the errors, the ink did not soak right through the coating. You had to be very careful if you were going to draw over the erased area because if you took too much of the coating off and exposed the linen the ink would soak in and create a blob.

Thread: Grinder for end mills and drills
21/05/2016 20:54:49

Thanks John for the encouragement. I have all of the ME mags that detailed the construction. I have been reading them through the construction as a starting point. When I bought this set of castings I hadn't realised how far the previous constructor had got. My task seems easier than I had thought but I have to do justice to his work.

Thread: Draughting Pens
21/05/2016 11:53:18

Nobody has mentioned tracing linen. We used it in the Water Co. drawing office back in the 60's it was lovely stuff to use but almost impossible to correct errors. The offcuts of linen made wonderful wipes after you had washed the coating off it. I couldn't afford Rotring pens but a pen with a crossover point that was adjustable for line thickness, I think that they were called Graphos pens.

I've just Googled Graphos, that is the correct name but they weren't adjustable, 50 years on memory plays tricks!

Edited By norman valentine on 21/05/2016 11:55:56

20/05/2016 22:56:28

That is one of my worries.

But the pleasure is in the making. Not necessarily in the use thereof.

Edited By norman valentine on 20/05/2016 22:59:59

20/05/2016 22:17:36

That's the point that I was trying to make Neil, nobody, including yourself, suggested the other articles except for Thor who mentioned the Quorn. I was looking for something simpler than that but finding this set of castings that are half done has made it a viable project for me.

Edited By norman valentine on 20/05/2016 22:18:10

20/05/2016 19:42:33

I am surprised that in all of it's years existence that there has not been a tool and cutter grinder design featured in Model Engineer. Or at least nobody has mentioned it, there were suggestions from MEW but I don't have a collection of those.

Anyway the problem is resolved, I found a part machined set of castings and other materials for the Quorn. This will be an interesting project!

Edited By norman valentine on 20/05/2016 19:43:00

Edited By norman valentine on 20/05/2016 19:43:17

Thread: Working model scaled 1:15 - materials
16/05/2016 16:29:00

You would learn more by reading up on building such a model rather than just asking for the answers.

Thread: Deliberate mistakes
14/05/2016 22:04:12

Dod, it is that way because that is how we (the English) say it should be. It's our language and we can make the rules as it suits us. So there!

Thread: heating araldite
13/05/2016 00:12:05

It is not a very stressed situation. You could just leave it to set and cure at room temperature.

23/04/2016 09:56:17

Thank you everybody for all of these suggestions. I am sure that there is something amongst them that will suit.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest