By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Interference
23/09/2020 12:30:10

Back in the 1970s I worked on the production line making Shredded Wheat. At the end of the conveyor that carried them through the oven was a Radyne (I think that was the name) microwave dryer. Apparently when it was first installed it wiped out the police radio communications for the area, it took quite a while for the police to locate the problem. Once shielding was installed it was fine.

Thread: Best way to remember Mill movements when turning hand wheels
18/09/2020 18:39:42

On my milling machine the x axis moves away fronm the handle with a clockwise turn of the handle and the y axis is opposite. this caused me lots of problems when I first used it until I worked out what to do. The x axis is how you would expect it , for the y axis I just think of the tool as being the part that moves. Now I find that I have no problem deciding which way to turn the handles. Easy!

Thread: Rotary Table 3 or 4 slot?
18/09/2020 16:39:52

I have found that the best number of slots is on the table that I have got.

I made it, and four slots seemed logical. I haven't found otherwise. But I am sure that if I had made it with three slots I would have been equally happy.

Thread: electric wool spinning wheel
07/09/2020 15:16:07

I have a very small amount of experience in spinning but have watched experts. It appears that you need to vary the speed of the foot treadle to accommodate the varying consistency of the wool as you tease it through your fingers. Quite a tricky thing to accomplish with an electric motor, but it becomes second nature with a normal spinning wheel.

Thread: Is there any tips for sawing aluminium
05/09/2020 10:35:31

Roy, yes for aluminium.The blades are designated for cutting stainless steel and they do not clog up on aluminium.

04/09/2020 20:13:56

i use 1mm cut off blades in my angle grinder, they work fine.

The cheapest I can find>

Thread: Home made cast Aluminium
25/08/2020 19:43:52

Nicholas, what you are talking about is very different from what I was saying, If I want parts for a particular job of course I will make patterns that will produce a part that needs minimal machining. If I need a part such as the raising block for my toolpost on my lathe, I will cast it in a tobacco tin and save myself quite a lot of money. No my hobby is not producing swarf and your sarcasm is not appreciated.

25/08/2020 19:17:17

ChrisB, trying to melt a whole cylinder head would take a long time. It is best to reduce it down to small pieces. An angle grinder is slow and will not cut big pieces. I have tried cutting large parts, wheels, with an angle grinder and used a large hammer on partly cut pieces. It is hard work.

Due to changing domestic circumstances I have had to use different approaches. When I first started casting I used to build a large wood bonfire and stack the wheels on top, as it reached melting temperature the aluminium would run out of the bottom of the fire and if you got to it before it cooled too much you could break it into small pieces with a hammer. This produced dirty material which I had to remelt in my furnace to cast clean ingots. This cost me nothing as I was using peat as fuel which I had obtained free.

When I had to start paying for fuel I used a different approach, I collected as much scrap wood as I could and built a fire in an oil drum that had a hole in the bottom and was perched on bricks. As the aluminium melted I placed a loaf tin under the hole  to catch the molten metal and produced 3 kilo ingots. Too big but they were clean,

Nowadays I live in a home closely surrounded by neighbours, I collect small pieces of aluminium that will fit into my crucible. I find it very restrictive.

As for casting blocks for machining I use bean cans, old tobacco tins or anything that is near to the size that I need. I do open topped castings, I am not looking for precision. Yes, it takes longer to machine it to size but hobby time is free.

Edited By norman valentine on 25/08/2020 19:19:02

25/08/2020 17:18:01

I am sure that many of the people arguing against this have not done much aluminium casting. Once you have a furnace it is quick and easy. As a raw material I usually use car wheels which are a good quality source,

Inclusions? In over ten years of casting I have never had a problem. I never degass, but a few tiny bubbles in the casting do not matter, I would not use it for a critical part in my car.

But what a saving in cost and time! If I want to make a part that requires a large chunk of aluminium I can be machining it the same day for just the cost of the gas. I scrounge the wheels.

Thread: Wireless doorbell without tunes
22/08/2020 19:30:06

Life is too short to worry about such unimportant things.

Thread: cutting upholstery foam
01/08/2020 17:19:18

Bit late in the day to advise against hot wire cutting foam but if you do it you will be left with a horrible sticky surface. It will cut with a band saw but a band knife is better.

Thread: We need Pi
05/07/2020 17:02:36

Numbers are wonderful. If you take 22/7 you will get 3.142857142857142857 recurring.

If you throw away the three and the recurring bits you are left with 142857. This is a magic number! Multiply it with any digit from 1-6 you will still find this number eg 142857x 5=714285. 142857 rotated! Multiply by 7 and you get 999,999. But, it does not end there, try multiplying by a larger number and the magic number is still there!For example 142857x18 gives you 2,571,426. Where is the number? Start at the one, so 142, add the six and the two from the front, you get eight and finish with a flourish with five and seven. I love numbers!

Thread: Hermes Parcels
27/06/2020 13:16:29

I phoned the Hermes helpline and got through te the automated helpline that just told me that my package was with the courier. Today, a day late. I received an email saying that my package had been delivered with a photo to prove it.(on my front doorstep). The irritating thing is that I was sitting less than two metres from my front door and the b*****d did not ring the doorbell.

Edited By norman valentine on 27/06/2020 13:25:07

Thread: Making a Nikon P1000 stable to be able to take moon & star shots
26/06/2020 17:09:55

Yes, that is my point. I believe that it should balance directly above the large round shiny bit some way in front of your red line. At the moment it is hanging behind it which will encourage vibration.

Thread: Hermes Parcels
26/06/2020 12:06:24

I have been given the Hermes customer service number by a supplier, I haven't tried it myself.

0330 08 08 5456

Thread: Making a Nikon P1000 stable to be able to take moon & star shots
26/06/2020 06:35:54

Steve, in your video, when you are pointing at the mount to show the centre of balance you need to take into consideration the top plate of the tripod. In fact your thump is pointing at the position that you should balance the camera around. Norman

At least that is how it appears to me, I could be wrong.

Edited By norman valentine on 26/06/2020 06:54:48

25/06/2020 19:13:03

Whoops , yes, you could call that a tripod but that is what I was talking about. It is far too flimsy, you need to get a substantial tripod, mount the camera near to its balance point and then you will get shake free pics. Trust me, I am an expert.laughlaughlaughangry

25/06/2020 15:55:33

If ir works for you that is fine but...... The centre of gravity of the whole assembly is a long way behind the the support point of the tripod head. In my mind the whole thing is just too flimsy to give a stable support. You don't show your tripod but I wouldn't mind betting that it is not that rigid. For 12000mm lens you need absolutely rock solid support. A normal photo tripod can't do it.

Thread: inland seagulls
30/04/2020 21:22:38

If you leave the seagull crap on your car for too long it will remove the paint . It happened to my car.

Thread: Taper reamer
31/03/2020 17:20:00

That was quick, thank you. I am surprised that it is so inexpensive, it looks far too well made to be that cheap.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest