By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for norman valentine

Here is a list of all the postings norman valentine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can you identify these castings?
09/11/2018 08:19:45

Thank you very much for the quick replies. I will have to do some research to see if I can find the drawings.

08/11/2018 19:30:55

I have been givenimg_0424.jpg some castings for an interesting model. I do not know if they are all for the same model. I have assembled some how I think that they might go. Can anyone identify the model? Thanks.

Thread: Fitting nuts in awkward spaces
13/06/2018 16:23:35

Have you got any young children? Small fingers might help.

Thread: Chuck removal - Henry Milnes 1940s lathe
03/06/2018 12:20:52

I bought a Loughborough training lathe with a 3 jaw chuck fitted. The previous owner said that he had never tried to remove it. I was very pessimistic of my chances of removing it. Inside the headstock the spindle has a tommy-bar hole, I put a length of bar sideways in the chuck and heaved on it. Guess what? It came off first try! I couldn't believe my luck, I was expecting to have to turn the back plate off. I have always been lucky.

I hope that you get it off without having to machine it off.

Thread: Old model engineer magazines
28/05/2018 16:17:57

I had a huge pile of old ME mags, mostly in complete volumes. I managed to sell a few but the remainder I went through pulled out the articles that interested me and scanned them. The mags that I had read went in the dustbin. I have now got rid of all of them without having to go to the trouble of going to the tip. Visiting the tip would have been upsetting seeing them all go like that but by doing it piecemeal reduced to loss that I felt.

Thread: Clean hands?
25/05/2018 21:07:19

Washing up liquid mixed with some detergent powder for really dirty hands. I am sure that it is bad for the skin but I don't seem to suffer any ill effects.

Thread: Anyone been involved in a car crash recently
01/05/2018 14:18:21

"The case might still be rumbling on like a latter day Jarndyce and Jarndyce"

What the Dickens are you talking about?

01/05/2018 12:53:16

I used to be insured by Hastings, I only moved because their price went up too much.

I had my car vandalised, broken windows and dents from stones, I phoned them to report it and after a five minute phone call they agreed to have it collected and a courtesy car delivered. Two weeks later my car was returned and the courtesy car collected.

I did nothing other than make the phone call. I have nothing but praise for their service, shame about their prices.

It is strange how people can have such different experiences.

Thread: Tool/cutter grinder using Lidl grinder disc
22/04/2018 09:10:23

I went and bought some of the Lidl discs. I found that they are very coarse and give a very rough finish on the tool. Or do they make them in different grades and I picked up the rough ones?

Thread: Turning paxolin
19/04/2018 17:22:21

You could place a sacrificial piece of wood or maybe metal behind it to support the edge.

Thread: Castable refractory - any experiences with Ciment Fondu?
27/03/2018 18:19:22

I am afraid that I have forgotten where I bought mine, all I can remember is that it was a company in Nottingham. They sold refractory bricks to industry.

Sorry that I can't be more help.

25/03/2018 22:41:57

I agree with Nick, I bought the right stuff and my foundry is in its sixth year and nothing flaking off.

Thread: Un workable steel
25/03/2018 12:02:09

Yesterday, at a car boot sale I bought 3 flat irons as a potential source of cast iron. I tried machining one and found it rather hard, so I put them in my furnace and heated them up to red heat for about 20 minutes and then left them to cool down overnight. I have just tried to machine one again, it is hard but machinable. I am pleased to have found some cast iron that I can use for future projects.

Thread: Wooden Clock
17/03/2018 16:20:50

Here is a challenge to clock makers here.

**LINK**

Thread: Is society becoming more stupid
10/03/2018 13:51:27

During my daughters formative years we lived in the Falkland Islands and behind our house was a mountain. They used to go there to play and there was many a time that I would look up, with my heart in my mouth, to see them standing on the top of a rocky outcrop. Despite my fears I never told them no, I did say take care. They have grown up to be very self reliant and prepared to take on challenges that their peers in UK are too scared, or their parents won't allow, to accept.

Let kids take chances, don't blame somebody else for the accidents. It is all part of growing up!

Thread: Rack and pinion efficiency
05/03/2018 17:22:30

My Loughborough lathe has rack and pinion drive for the saddle but I found, when cutting 3mm wide keyways that the force required was enormous and I quickly gave up and made a slotting attachment that does the job without any strain on the lathe mechanism.

The point of my reply is that I think that it is possible to put so much force into it that something is sure to break, so avoid it!

Thread: FREE TO GOOD HOME
26/02/2018 22:43:40

Dougie, good luck with trying to find a home for your mags. I had an almost complete set from 1940-1995 and advertised them at a price that would cover my costs. Very few takers, instead I am reading them, keeping the few that seem important to me and the rest go in the dustbin. I have got rid of threequarters of them and am still working my way through the pile. I am currently reading wartime issues from 1940, the staples are so thin that they have rusted away. It is such a waste.

26/02/2018 19:24:51

"So is that "The West Lothian Question"?"

Good one Neil.

Edited By norman valentine on 26/02/2018 19:25:18

Thread: Accurate measurement
09/02/2018 19:51:22

I use a dial caliper for most of my work, I find that it is accurate enough for me as long as I wipe the jaws each time I use it and pinch on the outside of the jaws to ensure that they close properly on the work. I find that they agree with my micrometers.

I used to use a Lidl digital caliper in the mistaken idea that repeatability not absolute accuracy was the most important factor. Then I realised that they don't score in either.

Edited By norman valentine on 09/02/2018 19:52:01

Thread: Lathe bench height
07/02/2018 22:03:29

I disagree with both of the above, my lathe is set with the cross slide at 1100mm from the floor and I still find myself stooping. I have thought of raising it another 100mm.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest