By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Hewes

Here is a list of all the postings John Hewes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Lathe leveling
23/02/2014 22:20:29

Hi, this is timely for me as I am just about to reinstall my Boxford, and want to do it properly this time.

I don't have a precision level and was wondering if anyone in or around N.E.Northants (I live near Thrapston), has one they would be prepared to lend me to help out.

I'd be happy to leave a deposit and would only need it for a couple of days.

Fingers crossed,

Kind regards

John

Thread: Base for a new machine shop aka "shed"!
18/02/2014 17:38:24

I have a concrete floor covered with 25mm of Celotex and then plywood about 18mm thick.

The floor is lovely to work on but you need to fix machinery direct to the concrete by long rawlbolts or similar.

Easy to fix things to the floor and warmer than concrete.

John

Thread: Advertising for paid work
14/02/2014 19:11:20

Mick, everybody on here helps everybody else where they can and that is a great community, just as it should be. I help other classic bikers who live around here, and they do likewise, in a different community, again just as it should be.

But there is a difference when people ask to be paid, that is NOT the same thing.

I have never asked for money to help anyone, and hope I never will. But if I needed to earn money from my meagre skills, then I would expect to pay for advertising the fact.

I don't think that professionals should use the forums for gain, do you?

John

14/02/2014 18:38:12

The rule seems perfectly reasonable to me.

If you want to advertise, then pay for it like everyone else. If you are offering specific help to an individual, on a one off basis, then PM them. But don'e expect any support if you keep doing it!

Cheers

John

Thread: How do I put a leadscrew handle onto my Boxford, please?
14/02/2014 18:33:45

Thanks John, very helpful.

Thread: Between centres
09/02/2014 20:08:37

Thanks, all.

I don't like the idea of turning it around, and favour the overlong and cut if off later approach, I think. I will try it when I need to, thanks again

John

09/02/2014 10:34:40

With a job between centres, using a catchplate to revolve the job, how can I turn to the left end, as the driving dog is there, isn't it?

Thanks, John

Thread: Internal keyway on a lathe
09/02/2014 10:31:42

Hello again.

Just to let you know that I managed this fine with all your help, Gents, thank you.

Nigel, I took your advice, but used a bungy rubber to hold the faceplate in place.

I now have another question but will start a thread under "beginners".

Thread: Milling ceramic tiles - socket cutouts etc
07/02/2014 22:27:36

I used a grit faced jigsaw blade, available from the "sheds", easy, quick, cheap. Just fit it into your normal powered jigsaw.

John

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
05/02/2014 22:35:28

I cut my first internal keyway in the bore of a multi size pully, the drive for my wood turning bowl lathe, after getting help on a thread posted only a day ago!

It is now on the new (old) motor, a single phase one, so should be knocking out wooden bowls soon.

Thanks to the guys who helped on this.

regards

John

Thread: How do I put a leadscrew handle onto my Boxford, please?
05/02/2014 22:24:10

Paul, I meant to ask, do you use the graduations?

John

05/02/2014 22:23:16

Thanks, Guys.

Paul, that looks lovely, a work of art, almost.

Michael, the leadscrew is 3/4" dia, so will fit through the mandrel easily.

Not sure how to disconnect the headstock end of it, though, but I guess I will find out.

regards, John

05/02/2014 20:18:02

Thanks Gents for your quick responses.

Basically, Robin says don't do it, Clive says do it the "proper" way, and Michael suggests quicker way, so I have to decide what to do.

Saxalby, I have a saddle stop and that is what I have been using, it works OK, but I feel that a more sensitive method would be better. (Or maybe I just want a project to get on with!).

Michael, I have not used Loctite in this sort of application, is it strong enough to take the torque with just a bar in a hole, please?

regards, and thanks again everyone, John

05/02/2014 16:07:30

Hi, I am really getting into this now, and thanks to those who have helped with my previous questions, they really are useful, and I'm learning.

I can now use my new vertical slide, and a cutter in the collet system I have made for my 1/2" Elu woodworking router collet holder. This holds a 1/2" end mill and it works OK.

However, I have read that I should use the leadscrew handle to move the saddle towards the chuck to increase the depth of cut when I am milling, but my old Boxford AUD doesn't have one and there is only a very short end of the leadscrew sticking out of the right hand end bracket.

I am not sure how to fix a handle on here, any ideas, please?

The Boxford handbook does mention a handlewheel at one point, but does not elaborate, so that's not a lot of help. I have been using the saddle handle, but it is a bit brutal for this job!

Thanks

John

Thread: Internal keyway on a lathe
04/02/2014 22:20:27

Thanks all for your advice.

I'm not sure Clive that I can drill such a small hole accurately enough though. I suppose I have several tries around the hole if I mess it up!

John

04/02/2014 18:34:20

Hi, I need to cut a keyway in the bore of an aluminium alloy pulley for a wood turning bowl lathe drive.

I am planning to do this on my Boxford lathe by making up a boring bar to almost the bore size and fitting an adjustable cutter near to the end so that I can use it as a broach, a little at a time.

Any advice, please as I haven't done this before.

Two specific questions:-

Is it sufficient to lock the faceplate by engaging the back drive as well as the mandrel drive pin?

Do I need a leadscrew handle, or should I just use the saddle handwheel?

Thanks in advance

John

Thread: Cost to build in brick?
03/02/2014 02:39:23

If you have a concrete floor, i would insulate it well with Kingspan or similar, then sheets of ply. I did this to my garage/workshop and it is so much more comfortable.

Mount your machinery on the concrete, though or it may not be solid enough'

John

Thread: Boxford 11-30 spindle reducing bush
06/01/2014 23:01:16

1-009.jpgSteve, here are a couple of pics.

The fixing holes on the vert. slide did not match the T slots, so I have drilled and tapped the slide to fix one of the vert slide holes.

John1-014.jpg

04/01/2014 21:32:33

Hi Steve, I got lucky!

i have had the lathe for about 10 years and have long wanted to try milling on it. I kept a look out on ebay and managed to get a Boxford lathe with the T slotted cross slide, so did a swop, tidied up the "new" lathe and sold it at a profit!

John

03/01/2014 22:57:10

Hello again and thanks to all those who have tried to help me.

I am really a beginner and my kit looks very small and old and tatty compared to the photos you guys have posted.

At the moment all I am trying to do is to hold a 1/2" end mill in the headstock. Could I use the collet and tightening cap from my Elu wood router, if I make the matching adaptor for the headstock bore? Would it need to be hardened on the bore?

From a mature student

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest