By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Llongford Railway

Here is a list of all the postings Llongford Railway has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Trying to find an Article regarding 7 1/4" Petrol Loco
01/05/2014 12:53:33

Hello,

I am looking to build this: **LINK** which I am aware is based on a model engineer article. The loco uses a Suffolk Punch petrol engine but I can't seem to find a back issue to refer to the article in question.

Is anyone aware of when thie article was published so I can try to get a back issue?

Regards

Daniel

Thread: Steam Raising Coal
05/02/2014 12:50:30

I think sometimes it is a trial and error approach as each engine has its own demands and temperments. I use anthracite but have my own supply of welsh steam coal and house coal at home. I personally put a lump or two of house coal on every now and again when running but mainly run on anthracite. I have found little different between anthracite and steam coal except more of a "authentic" smell. I like the look and smell of house coal but some clubs can be funny about these things but it is generally not a problem. I know a chap who runs his engine solely on house coal. I think his boiler tubes and chimney are cleaned after every run but the sight and smell is fantastic!smile p

Daniel

Thread: auto drain cocks polly 4
21/01/2014 18:45:41

Hi terry,

Its disappointing thst younfeelmyoumdid not have good feedback from, I have always found them extremely helpful even for general advice about polly's. I have manual drain cocks on my Polly and find them fine, I wonder if yours aren't throwing the arms enough? You could always try making your own? Immsure there is someone who can provide you with some drawings.

Regards

Daniel

Thread: Titch or Juliet
17/01/2014 12:52:32

Hi Bob,

I am building a tich as my first engine. Why? Well I have a small lathe (unimat SL) and I knew I would make lots of mistakes due to my lack of experience. Castings are cheap enough if I make a mistake to start again. It won't pull much but I'm not building it for that. I think you need to build to what you feel is ascertainable for you. Tich comes with a construction manual with a step by step and methodical approach which is exactly what I need as I knew I would struggle to build an engine just from drawings.

I think it can be fashionable these days to build a 5" or 7 1/4" engine on your first time out but if you don't have the space, experience or machinery, you may struggle early on and the engine may take a long time to be finished- if at all.

Just my 2penneth.

Daniel

Thread: Workshop Break in
03/01/2014 12:46:48

Hello Kevin,

I am very sorry to hear your unfortunate news. A fellow club member from a previous club a few years back was working on his engine in his workshop, nipped in the house to make a drink and heard a loud thud. He poked his head out of the door to see what the noise was only to see two young men and his steam engine in his own wheelie bin being wheeled away. He gave them chase and I believe the bin was abandoned and he got his engine back. Clearly an opportunist thief but an unpleasant experience all the same.

I personally think a balance needs to be struck when securing a workshop. You want to make sure it is secure so a passing tea leaf doesn't make easy work of your locks and is in you workshop in a matter of seconds but likewise you don't want it secured like Fort Knox and make the thief think it is "really worth his while" to get in because anything with this much security must be good! Being discrete is always good. Covering the engine when in transport and keeping it covered when getting it out of the car into the workshop/house. No one needs to see what is it when you’re not at the club.

I think having 3 locks on the door to the workshop, top middle and bottom is subtle enough to not rouse too much attention but more effort than it’s worth to see what’s available. Covered windows by a wire mesh or panelling is also worth exploring. An alarm inside is also a good idea but bear in mind would anyone hear it or be able to respond if it went off? Most people's workshops would be in a shed so having a shed with clip locking panels rather than overlapping is also a good idea as overlapping panels can easily be lifted unfortunately.

I also think insurance is a good idea in this day and age. Insurers like Walker Midgley offer reasonable rates and thinking about cost of some of the steam engines people own compared to the yearly cost of insurance is an easy justification to make.

I think the bottom line is that if someone is determined to get to a particular item, whether it is in a garage, shed or house, they will probably find a way to get to it. Deterrents such as locks and alarms help deter the opportunist thief and by keeping a low profile will minimise others knowing what you have thus minimising theft to order or being targeted.

Daniel

Thread: 3 1/2 inch small boilered TICH
02/01/2014 13:00:47

Hi Ryan,

I may do but won't hijack this thread. The difficlty is that this is my first build so progress is slow and mistakes are high. I also have limited machinary (pillar drill and unimat sl lathe) which also doesn't help. My new years resolution was to focus on the build so as progress picks up I may start my own thread of the build.

Daniel.

28/12/2013 20:35:51

Hi Ryan,

Well done on your progress. I have just joined the forum to be able to chip into this thread. Although, I have been a member of other engineering forums, I have yet to come across someone else who is building a tich at the moment. I must admit, I have been building my tich for about 1 year and I am just coming to the point where I will be finishing the steam chests and will hopefully have a running chassis soon.

I'll be interested to see how you progress as you'll be ahead of me before not too long!

Regards

Daniel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest