By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Waddington 2

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Waddington 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aluminium welding
15/11/2019 21:34:48

Define ‘small’ what are the dimensions of the hole, and what wall thickness ?

Thread: Inverters and stop switches
06/11/2019 19:56:30

Brian

Both of my inverters have the E Stop wired into the low voltage ‘Control’ side of the inverter. The lathe has a pendant with Forward, Reverse, Jog and E stop switches, wired to the inverter using alarm type multicore cable.

Thread: diameter calculation
13/10/2019 00:11:48

To quote my old gaffers well used phrase

“Come on lads, we’re not making gold watches here”...........

Thread: Threading on Colchester triumph 7 1/2
10/10/2019 12:57:38

Have a nice Ainjest high speed threading unit to fit that lathe if you are interested ? Makes thread cutting so much easier.

Thread: Why does the micrometer have a second knurled segment
05/09/2019 22:13:53

The second knurled grip is designed to afford the user better purchase when using the micrometer as a hammer during squaring operations and such like.

Thread: Frustration
02/09/2019 12:05:06

Well that’s one less you have to make.......

Thread: Is the price of this model boat at all realistic
01/09/2019 17:10:10

If it sells then its realistic.........market decides what things are worth, not sellers.

Thread: Dumb question from a none driver
31/08/2019 00:45:06
Posted by mark smith 20 on 31/08/2019 00:39:53:

Well thats whats confusing me. How do i prove im the owner if needed?

My son has insured it and taxed it today..

Edited By mark smith 20 on 31/08/2019 00:40:12

Did you get a receipt in your name when you bought it ? If so that’s your proof. No one will ever ask for proof unless there is a dispute over ownership between you and your son. And yes the seller should have filled in the existing V5c with your sons details (if he was to become registerd keeper), and sent of to DVLA Your son will receive a new V5c in his name in due course. 

Edited By Alan Waddington 2 on 31/08/2019 00:48:59

31/08/2019 00:38:24
Posted by mark smith 20 on 31/08/2019 00:32:38:

Alan, why have you repeated my post?

Mark

Ipad and fat fingers........sorted now

31/08/2019 00:30:13
No such thing as a Registered Owner.

Although Registered Keeper doesn’t mean said person is the owner of the vehicle.

Confusing.........you bet

The owner is generally the person who paid for the car, which could also be the registered keeper

Confusing........you bet.

Edited By Alan Waddington 2 on 31/08/2019 00:37:32

Thread: Ultrasonic toothbrushes
26/08/2019 09:21:16

We feed our dogs on Raw, perfect pearly whites due to The bone content, plus a host of other benifits.

Thread: be careful out there people!
26/08/2019 08:39:03

A friends son has recently been electrocuted at work, cardiac arrest at the scene but fortunately revived by a quick thinking colleague. Entry wound to his chin and a massive exit wound to the back of the head........nasty stuff electrickery, play safe boys yes

Thread: Borrowing
18/08/2019 11:38:06

I loaned a mate my work SDS hammer drill, told him explicitly that i needed it for a job on the coming Thursday, He didn’t bring it back, and wasn’t answering my calls, so i went and bought a new one.

When he did return it the week after, seemed a bit miffed when i explained i didn’t want it back but expected him to buy it, for what it had cost me to replace.

We are still friends, but he never asks to borrow anything these days.

Thread: Home built trailer
14/08/2019 18:43:52
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/08/2019 16:28:54:

Please don't encourage people to do that.

Acting in ignorance is one thing, if you kill someone when your trailer fails and it has a fake year plate you'll be done for a lot more than fraud.

The IVA check is actually FREE if carried out at a suitable place, and if you use the supplier who sold you the bits you used to make it the worst risk is discovering a fault.

Neil

Take your point, however its a fairly unlikely scenario, and considering the amount of old nails been towed around the country made from old car axles and bits of driftwood, that were built prior to the test becoming mandatory it all seems a bit daft. Test is £70 btw, or was last time i looked, and test centres are few and far between, with long lead times.

13/08/2019 22:37:29

It’s like a lot of things, technically you need to comply, but who actually checks...... unless you were unlucky enough to get a tug from Vosa or had a serious accident, no one will check. There was talk of trailers having to have an MOT but it’s not materialised. Just buy a plate off ebay and stamp the date as 2011 Job done.

Posted by Plasma on 13/08/2019 22:10:29:

Hi Martin.

Thanks for that enquiry, ts good to have your friends input.

I will wade through the guidance documents to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I will check before I commit to buying the parts and starting to build anything.

Regards plasma

Thread: Is your spindle bore large enough?
10/08/2019 14:26:53

Is Your Spindle bore large enough ?

Of course not, they never are cheeky

Thread: Safety Glasses
09/08/2019 20:37:41

I’m with you Nick, hot chips always seem to get me in the neck, so a full face shield makes more sense.

Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 09/08/2019 15:34:01:

As a varifocal wearer I find it easier and also cheaper to wear a full face shield when necessary. While safety glasses will protect your eyes, in my experience their lenses (or a face shield) can still be marked by a flying object - but the face shield is far cheaper to replace.

I look like Dan Dare from the Eagle in my face shield - so that may be either a disadvantage or selling point, depending upon your age.

Thread: Home built trailer
05/08/2019 23:02:28

Blank data plates are available on ebay.....you stamp them with the correct axle weights and the year of manufacture, but of course the 9 is missing from your stamp set, so you use a 0 instead wink

Thread: Recent threads
14/07/2019 10:34:03

It’s the internet Martin.......par for the course im afraid.

And are you aware how disrepectful it is to start a post with ‘Gentleman’ this implies all forum members are a specific gender, this could upset any members of other genders, or those who identify themselves as non gender specific, or as members of the opposite gender, or indeed some Myford owners, who identify themselves as a superior gender smile p

Posted by martin perman on 14/07/2019 10:12:39:

Gentlemen,

I enjoy reading the various topics that crop up on this forum and learn a lot but recently there seem to be a lot of one upmanship, using acronym's that are difficult to decipher and even swearing, putting people down when they have made an opinion and arguing over sometimes silly points. Why cant we all get along and respect each others views or opinions without reducing it to written abuse.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 14/07/2019 10:14:25

Thread: Osborn UK
13/07/2019 21:10:34

Osborn mushet steels, made/make drills etc, based in Sheffield UK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Osborn_%26_Company

Edited By Alan Waddington 2 on 13/07/2019 21:11:56

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Meridienne; London MES
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest