By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grotto

Here is a list of all the postings Grotto has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Should I have 3 phase supplied to my house?
30/05/2019 05:22:06

I looked at getting 3 phase into the house, but it was going to be minimum $12k (6,000 pounds) to get it to the switchboard.

Bought a rotary converter (4kw) for less than a sixth of the price which works great. I can also take the converter with me if I ever move.

If I’d got 3 phase in, I would have had to pay a monthly connection fee in addition to the one I pay for single phase.

There's a monopoly on power connections here in NZ so they can charge whatever they want.

Thread: HSGT Taps
26/05/2019 23:47:02

I've been having a sort out in the workshop and have found a few taps marked “HSGT”.

the business end is gold, I’m not sure if this is relevant.

I wondered if anyone knows what HSGT stands for.

b2c4b1b5-5834-4cd6-a87e-b941d95f0ef2.jpeg

Thread: Drill bits
25/05/2019 10:02:00

I recently bought a bunch of drill bits and when sorting through them found a few are left hand.

I'll be able to use them in my mill, but wondered why they are made. I guess there’s a good reason, just can’t think of it. Anyone know why?

Thread: Unknown tool
23/05/2019 21:47:15

Patent no. 55237

23/05/2019 19:18:09
Posted by not done it yet on 23/05/2019 15:13:24:
Posted by Grotto on 23/05/201
Going back tomorrow with a torch to see what else I can find

Is that at night? Or a cutting torch? Or just dim and dark hidey-holes?

Just asking.....smiley

Hmm, hadn’t thought about a night trip, would be cheaper but not by much (I reckon I’m only paying cents per kilo).

The power has been disconnected so it's all pretty dark, was using my phone for light yesterday. A cutting torch could be useful but there’s enough manageable stuff around to avoid cutting, although the surface plate I grabbed would have been around 60 kilos.

23/05/2019 10:25:17

Just cleaned all the gunk off it and answered my own question.

It's marked “Concentric Knurling Tool” No makers name, just patent & serial numbers.

unfortunately the Morse taper is part of the tool, I was hoping I may be able to remove it and fit an MT2.

23/05/2019 09:55:25

All welcome, but may take awhile to get here (it’s in NZ).

23/05/2019 09:36:46

A large foundry/engineering company is closing down, and I bought a few hundred kilos of stuff from the demolition guys.

included was this tool, which looks like a knurling tool to fit in the tail stock, but I've not seen one before. I got two, one smaller than the other. Both are MT3 or MT4 so won’t fit my lathe, but I’ll hang onto them as I may get a larger lathe at some point.

fb57c61f-7ad9-4eba-922b-d7891ce7f115.jpeg

4614c629-73c1-4c96-8bf4-25f074315a0c.jpeg

Was really eerie wandering around the place (a few acres of factory). No lights, most stuff gone, just the furnaces. Conveyors, molds. and a bunch of bits and pieces. Going back tomorrow with a torch to see what else I can find

Thread: "Screwing" a car round a corner!
28/04/2019 07:02:13
Posted by Jon on 27/04/2019 22:16:17:

Common knowledge RWD with power on induces over steer controllably.

Common knowledge FWD with power on induces under steer and no control.

We used to do “left foot braking” in our FWD Minis. Hit the corner fast, turn the steering hard, and hit the brake whilst keeping the accelerator pressed down. Drive would keep front wheels turning (helped by fairly average front drum brakes), rear wheels would lock, break traction, and rear of the car would hang out. After a bit of practice it was fairly easy to control how much the rear hung out by adjusting pressure on the brake. Best done in the wet. Apparently it was common practice in rallying, I got put onto it by a mate who raced a Mini in rallys.

Thread: Moving to Australia - Moving Workshop Machines
18/04/2019 02:46:04

Don’t take TV's with you. I’m not sure about Australia, but here in NZ the gap between picture and sound frequencies is different from the UK.

i ended up being able to tune into sound, or picture, but not both at the same time.

Also as Peter said, fridges don’t seem to last out here due to climate. Ours worked for about a month.

I bought a load of UK electrical plugs and sockets, and have most of my tools fitted with UK plugs which are more robust (& fused), and have UK sockets in the workshop. Any new tools I buy get their plugs replaced with UK ones.

11/04/2019 22:16:05

When I moved from th UK to NZ, I ended up getting a container. The cost was about the same as shipping a few individual items. Went with a 40 foot one in the end, as the total cost wasn’t a lot more than a 20 foot, and it saved making tough decisions about what to take and what not to take. It also meant I had an excuse to buy a load more stuff as it wouldn’t have been sensible to send it only 3/4 full.

I've never regretted it, just wished I bought a few more tools before I left, as the selection on decent stuff here is more limited, and prices are much higher.

It's quite a lot of time and work trying to source decent quality replacement tools if you leave it behind, much better to keep the tools you know and trust.

you could always buy some stuff before you leave and sell it for more in Brisbane to subsidise the cost of a container.

Thread: Old screwdrivers - any use as a materials source?
04/02/2019 23:16:17

I've used old screwdrivers as handles for welding hammers (for chipping slag off weld when arc welding). Head is just a bit of mild steel (or whatever is sitting around) welded to the end of the old screwdriver.

Thread: Milling for beginners
24/12/2018 20:33:53

I’ve been surprised at how much better spiral taps are than standard ones. I only have a few metric ones, I’m not sure if they’re available out here in Whitworth, but guess if they are they’ll be prohibitively expensive.

I've never broken a spiral tap, wish I could say the same about standard ones.

Thread: Unknown tools
11/12/2018 21:54:14

image.jpeg

11/12/2018 21:45:46

Hi all

I bought these two tools at the weekend.

I’m not sure if they are for use on metal or wood.

looks a bit like an end mill, it won’t drill holes as it leaves a nipple in the centre like an end mill.

The other looks like it's for counter sinking?

They are both “Louis Eichman”, but google seems to give loads of info on a famous war criminal and little else.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thread: Cost of deliveries
11/12/2018 21:15:53

I’ve bought a few items from the UK where they don’t charge VAT (as it’s an export to outside EU), and freight cost is only a bit more than the VAT. It does seem to depend on weight.

I have found some sellers have really high freight charges but guess they don’t really wish to get into selling overseas.

I still don’t understand how Aliexpress sellers can do free shipping. Often I can buy items with free postage from China for a fraction of the cost I can buy exactly the same thing locally.

Thread: Cheap carbide inserts - where's the market?
30/11/2018 18:42:20

I like the cheap carbide inserts because they are cheap. As an unskilled beginner I've chipped quite a few inserts inserts. I’d rather destroy cheap ones than expensive ones (have done both). I’m starting to get better at with practice, and maybe when my skill levels are higher I’ll start using the expensive ones I’ve got in the drawer.

It would be tempting to blame poor results on cheap inserts, but find they're lasting longer and performing better with practice.

Thread: “Every Boy His Own Manufacturer"
17/11/2018 04:18:26

And a complete chapter on making your own fireworks.

Don’t see that in modern books

Thread: Machine light
05/11/2018 04:06:46

You may find you can sell the old lamp for more than a replacement costs. They’re quite collectable and sell well on eBay. I looked at replacing the one on my lathe with a period lamp but after seeing the prices went with led

Thread: Dewhurst Switch 3 phase wiring
08/10/2018 08:35:38

Switch is rated 500v 3 phase.

I’ve wired it up and it works, but sometimes it tries to start the motor rotating the wrong way. Motor won’t start if belt on Myford is tight (need to have belt slack to start). Once motor is running it’s fine.

I’m wondering if I’ve got the R, W & B wires going to the motor around the wrong way?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
cowbells
Meridienne Dec 5th 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest