By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oompa Lumpa

Here is a list of all the postings Oompa Lumpa has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
02/11/2014 09:56:34
Posted by JasonB on 01/11/2014 20:22:19:

While everyone else has been busy measuring their oil film thicknesses I got another couple of bits finished on the latest project

Did I miss something, did I miss something? Eh? Eh?

I must say, the thread was a terrific solution to a bit of insomnia. So it did have some value.

graham.

Thread: dreaming or just getting old ?????????????
29/10/2014 03:23:11

You are dreaming Frank - wake up!

graham.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
26/10/2014 20:47:30

George, I would be proud to just own your Tractor, never mind having built it too. Lovely.

Anyway, been busy today and one of the jobs was to cut half a dozen short lengths of aluminium bar. I often read on here threads with titles like: "should I use cutting fluid" or "is cutting oil needed on xxxxmetal?" Usually the answers for Aluminium are "spray a bit of WD40 on it". Well I almost always use cutting fluid on the hacksaw (I bought several litres of rotabroach at a terrific price) and today was no exception. But the photographs below show what happens when you concentrate on one thing and forget another.

With cutting fluid applied during the cut:

bar-01.jpg

Without cutting fluid:

bar-02.jpg

Don't you just hate it when you do that?

graham.

Thread: Vintage Rifle
24/10/2014 11:43:34

Sorry about the double posting would some kind soul come along and delete one of them please?

graham.

24/10/2014 11:08:03
Posted by ronan walsh on 23/10/2014 22:21:59:

An home workshop engineer or model maker wanting an interesting air rifle project could do worse than building HM Buckleys air rifle. He has two books of plans available for a butt reseivor model and another with an air container integral to the body of the rifle. Mr. Buckley can be hard to contact, but like everyone else is busy. Details in the link below.

http://airgundevelopment.com/buckley.html

This is a very nice model and I have actually fired one which was completed by a chap at one of the clubs.

I once saw a beautifully made Ball Reservoir rifle which had been made by someone in his shed. It was absolutely splendid. Hammer action and single shot. One of the guys offered him serious money for it but the rifle wasn't for buying. Can't blame the chap, I wouldn't have sold it either.

There was a range of rifles produced commercially but I forget the name just now and they were all being produced by one man in his garden shed. Very popular they were too.

graham.

23/10/2014 14:36:53

Well, here is that Mk1 that I repaired the stock for, needed a good deal of other work doing to it too:

webley-mk1.jpg

It is lovely now. Always fun doing a six yard challenge with these older guns as there is a much higher element of skill involved. Some of the new target guns leave me cold.

Then there are some true miniatures, like this:

More can be found HERE

Love the Thompson Machine Gun.

graham.

23/10/2014 10:14:12

Thought these might actually be "on topic". The first picture shows a vintage Mk1 Webley rifle (quite rare) But underneath is a fully working model of a BSA Airsporter.

tim4.jpg

I don't know what scale it was made to - if any but the barrel is a turned down .177 cal. BSA barrel. The two miniature pistols shown in the pic below are also interesting. The model of the Webley Junior in it's box is just fabulous and I just missed owning this myself. The present owner is a friend of mine and I have first dibs should he ever sell it. Again fully functional but you have to use cocktail sticks as ammo!

The other tiny "Pop Out" pistol is a model of a Diana and I suppose most of us had a Pop Out be it Diana or Gat at one time or another.

tim1.jpg

the other Wenbley pistols are also interesting, but only to an anorak like me

graham.

22/10/2014 22:49:14

Ronan, an interesting question. I have access to another and if I get a chance voer the next few days I will put it over the Chronograph and find out. The chap who has it uses it regularly.

graham.

22/10/2014 22:45:46

Another pic showing the colour on the Breech Block. I do know the photographs have been "enhanced" in Photoshop but the colouring is genuine:

giff block lh.jpg

graham.

22/10/2014 21:52:07

So, as interesting as the Vintage Motorbike thread is, I thought it would be of interest to some of you if I posted these pictures of a very rare Giffard Air Rifle.

This particular rifle is 6mm bore and pneumatic, made in England (yes, really we were very good at this sort of thing) in or around 1870. For your delictation:

giff rh.jpg

giff buttplate.jpg

giff breech.jpg

The photographs show it well but in the flesh as it were it is of several magnitudes nicer.

The finish is superb.

graham.

Thread: Mega Adept
22/10/2014 21:26:57

Very helpful shot of the Adept there. Having never seen one it gives a sense of proportion. My Taig Micro is bigger than that and it is tiny!

graham.

Thread: poor engineering companys
22/10/2014 17:20:28
Posted by JasonB on 22/10/2014 17:10:31:
e as postage from the UK to Oz and back would not be practical.

Edited By JasonB on 22/10/2014 17:11:39

You are quite right it might not be practical Jason, but I can guarantee it will be four times the cost of the part as well. Postage in Australia is a real dear do.

I have learned over the years that it is far better to have the item in front of you that needs the part rather than someone send a drawing. There are only a few people who send me drawings that are any good. The rest are "variable". Mostly it is all hand fettling to make vintage stuff fit together properly.

graham.

Thread: Vintage motorbike
22/10/2014 09:54:43
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/10/2014 09:33:45:
Posted by OuBallie on 22/10/2014 09:28:12:

... but how did the name 'Kettle' come about?

Kettle = Device for heatng water

The Suzuki 750 was one of the very first Commercially built and sold in numbers, water cooled motorbikes. A rare sight when they first appeared and always promoted comment. As the ignoramuses (ignorami?) we were at the time, derogatory names were rife. Half envy though I think.

The Suzuki 380 was not know for it's handling so I was unwilling to take a chance with what would have been all my cash on yet another unknown so I bought something that had rave reviews, a Kawasaki Z900. Now that was quick. It still lives on in absolutely pristine condition in a friends kitchen. Don't ask!

graham.

22/10/2014 09:46:56

I always have a quiet sigh when I hear people pontificating "Oh yes, it is becoming increasingly expensive to manufacture overseas, we will bring manufacturing back to Britain"

Really? And just who, exactly, is going to be doing this "manufacturing"?

graham.

21/10/2014 10:39:29
Posted by John Olsen on 21/10/2014 08:29:25:

. Telling people what they may not talk about seems like a waste of breath to me...if you don't like the topic go away and get on with your own life.

It has lots of names John but we have all seen this type of behavior. I am in company I will reserve my comments. So, the bike is impressive, I had a 380GT "Ram Air" - remember those? Well I aspired to a "Water Bottle" but I just couldn't get the 380 to handle and bought a Kawasaki instead.

But just getting back on track, this is the only photograph I have of one of my best Pinto engines I built. The fuel rail was a piece of office chair leg and the trumpet extensions are scaffold pole. The porting and polishing was all done in my shed and I built the injection system from bits I could scrounge, beg, borrow and steal!

I had access to a Superflo 110 flow bench and still have the glass measuring kit I used to make sure the combustion chambers were equal. You can't see the block but that was a bit special too. I had friends who could get me access to TiG welders and another who worked in the tank factory on the Tyne so the Rods were sent off for Shot Peening. - amazing what you can achieve with absolutely no money!

pintohead.jpg

graham.

Thread: Which lathe?
20/10/2014 21:26:21
Posted by Max Desmo on 20/10/2014 18:28:20:

a chester 3 in 1 which on paper ticked all the boxes but extensive research on the net showed a) poor customer service b) apparently substandard built.

Max, with respect I would take exception to that.

I have both a Chester Mill and Lathe and Chester - especially Tony - have been exceptional in their help and service. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them - and what's more I will be at their winter open day again this year..

Goes to show, don't believe everything you read on tinternet!

graham.

20/10/2014 10:22:09

I don't really believe anyone needs to justify this, or indeed any, thread on here but I would invite Bert from Ashton-under-Lyne to justify his comment. I would be fascinated to read that.

graham.

Thread: How to Face, the end of square bar in mill
20/10/2014 10:08:10

As John says, sounds like something is out - tramming the Mill would be a start. But before you embark on that could you give us a bit more info please. First off, what is this bar made from? Steel, Aluminium?

Next, what sort of cutter are you using? Diameter, length, number of flutes? How are you holding the cutter?

graham.

19/10/2014 22:08:59
Posted by BERT ASHTON on 19/10/2014 13:12:51:

Point taken Michael, but I still think that we should stick to model engineering.

If that were to be the case, this thread would be a void. A blank space in the Internet somewhere. Nature doesn't like voids......

graham.
(taken more than a little aback by this comment)

Thread: Quit while you are ahead!
19/10/2014 21:13:12

The hazards of Titanium are well documented and I really should have known better. I have machined (not massive amounts) quite a bit of titanium over the years and never had a problem. As Trevor had noticed, the swarf in the tray will go up once it starts and I do tend to clear it as I go along, in this instance the only swarf in the tray was the bit that went up.

And I don't care how fast you think you can move, when it lit I was mesmerised like a bloody snake! The reason for this conflagration was simple - a blunt tool and a good deal of pressure on a big cut. As I was having to force the cut I just knew it was wrong and I should have backed off but it was late and I wanted to get finished. You know how it is.

Anyway, no harm done and if this is a caution to anyone machining this stuff then that is not a bad thing at all is it?
And the bits are all finished now

graham.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest