By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oompa Lumpa

Here is a list of all the postings Oompa Lumpa has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting granite worktops
01/09/2014 14:34:11
Posted by JasonB on 01/09/2014 14:01:05:

Diamond blade in your Stihl will all do it quite quickly

J

Edited By JasonB on 01/09/2014 14:02:22

This.

Diamond 12" blades aren't that dear anymore. I let the hosepipe run down the cut last time as it stops the dust.

graham.

Thread: Not a "modeller"!
01/09/2014 14:20:45
Posted by Thomas Gude on 01/09/2014 14:08:13:

Way TL;DR!! I don't think I'm gunna return to this site any time soon. Bunch of bickering nit pickers.

(sorry forgot the hyphen: nit-pickers)

Thomas, you are taking this far too seriously. It is all semantics anyway and I for one am not so far up myself to take myself seriously at all. In faxt, take anything I say with a pinch of salt!

graham
(who just invented a new word)

01/09/2014 08:27:49

When I read or hear the comparisons between Professional/Amateur it always brings to mind a "Which?" report I read many years ago comparing Computer Operating Systems. You have to first grasp that the report was for the 'general public' to make a decision about which operating system and therefore which type of computer it was they would look to purchase.

The list went on, Sun Solaris the type of application it was used and who would use it, the Mac OS, type of application and so on, MS Dos... And when we finally reached Linux the description said something like: "Only really suitable for the Amateur Hobbyist or Serious Professional user."

Says it all really and has been a sort of yardstick for me ever since. I really wish I had kept that article.

graham.

Edited By Oompa Lumpa on 01/09/2014 08:29:09

Thread: 'War Department' (arrow) Marking
31/08/2014 22:07:04

The old "Broadarrow" - to be found on everything from Watches to Gluepots and surface plates - I have at least one of each. I don't know that they have actually stopped using it on WD gear, if someone could confirm that? Always top notch stuff, the government tend to buy good quality kit.

graham.

Thread: Hardness of gun bolt
31/08/2014 17:03:06

File test first then if it passes that a small carbide cutter at high speed usually works. It is always a "suck it and see" exercise without definitive info. Which is usually the case with the Chinese made guns. You quite simply wouldn't believe how many Chinese made guns, of all types and Calibers I have scrapped. Not saying your friends is rubbish, just that the quality of production can be "variable"

graham.

Thread: EN8 steel finish
31/08/2014 08:43:42

I have a 4" x 3' bar of EN8 that I cut slices from once in a while. In fact I did this just the other day to make a collar for my Drill Press shown in my Elliott Drill Press thread.

I achieved a beautiful finish using tipped tools. Almost mirror polish. However, and there is a big however, it was done almost by accident. I bought some tooling and along with the tooling were some boxes of tips. All the same CCMT format but different manufacturers, working my through them, as you do, I reached the box marked Widia Valenite and these tips are just dynamite on EN8. I have scoured the Internet without success looking for the exact same tips with the same reference code (not the tip code, that is pretty generic) but so far no success.

The problem we little guys have, is that we can't get manufacturers support to come down and throw a load of research and development knowledge at us. That would make it too easy. I agree, HSS is the way forward here but it would be nice to find another box of those tips.

Oh, and the advice about long sleeves here, I burned my arm pretty badly. I am a pretty stubborn dumbass some days and as I was on a bit of a roll I just refused to stop. The swarf burned actually through the carpet as it was landing on the floor so it burned my arm pretty badly. It'll heal.

graham.

Thread: Workshop Lighting
31/08/2014 07:54:58
Posted by ronan walsh on 30/08/2014 21:21:56:

Are these led fluorescent tubes a straight replacement or is there something else that has to be done to get them to work ? Can the bothersome starters be done away with ?

You take out the tube AND the starter and replace it with the LED tube. Instant on - no waiting and no more fiddling with the starters on cold mornings.

graham.

Thread: Restoring an Elliot Progress Drill
30/08/2014 11:43:31

Here is a quick pic of the light that I have fitted. It is a 3.8 watt LED bulb from Ikea, the bulb holder - I have plenty of but can be found on that auction site for ablout 25p - is fitted to a bit of Vero Board fastened to the Head and connected to a Transformer concealed inside the unit. Now when you turn the Drill Press on from the rotary switch it turns on the light and powers up the Inverter.

drill-23.jpg

29/08/2014 22:34:02
Posted by ronan walsh on 29/08/2014 21:31:42:

I have an identical drill oompa loompa. Mine came out of a scrap skip, wrestled out by a friend of mine in his lunch hour. They are a proper professional grade tool and light years ahead of the taiwanese and chinese junk. All i did with mine was replace the three phase motor with a 1 hp single phase unit and gave it a quick lick of paint to stop it rusting.

I might rebuild it over the winter as its starting to jump out of high gear under load (caused by idiots not stopping the machine before changing gears) . There is an excellent thread on an elliot drill rebuild over on the mig welding forum (its not you is it ?).

He must have been a fit lad this friend of yours as they are no lightweight.

It isn't me on the Mig Welding forum thugh I have seen that thread and there are some useful tips in it.. I love the thing now it is all working. It is rock solid and as smooth as silk. It replaced my twenty year old Tiwanese made drill which served me well and was a terrific machine for the money. The chap who has it is putting it to good use.

With the Inverter and the three phase motor I have an incredible range of speeds if I incorporate the pulleys and everything else.

graham.

29/08/2014 20:53:45

So - an update. It now lives, has a heartbeat and everything!

I made a small modification, I made a steel ring approx 10mm x 10mm section that is a snug fit on the column and as you see, welded a block to it which I drilled and tapped. How many times have you slackened the table off to turn it a little and it drops an inch or two? (I exclude those of you with a rack and pinion mechanism for raising and lowering the table!)

drill-21.jpg

And here it is, motor and control fitted - i even drilled a hole with it today. Also, but not very apparent is the LED light now fitted under the head an it comes on with the main controls. This is essentially a 3/4 horse motor on there and my initial testing indicates that it isn't going to be easy to stop it.

drill-22.jpg

graham.

Edited By Oompa Lumpa on 29/08/2014 20:57:26

Thread: Preserving a lathe for long-term storage?
29/08/2014 18:52:51

DO NOT USE WD40

I can't begin to explain all of the very good reasons why not, suffice to say WD40 actually attracts water. I use THIS product from Cromwell for all my bright steels and such like but a good thick layer of grease is good. Everywhere.

graham.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
28/08/2014 08:51:00

Irrespective, don't you just feel like a Balloon when something like this happens!

I really need to get myself something along the same lines but without the wonky foot

graham.

Thread: Damaged Sieg C0 lathe...what to do ?
27/08/2014 08:55:12
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 23/08/2014 10:54:24:
Posted by Steve Withnell on 23/08/2014 10:34:59:

As an aside - when you sign paperwork acknowledging delivery from a courier often the wording is "received in good condition". When this is the case I delete the "in good condition" and write "not inspected". These are contractual documents.

Not so easy these days. Many carriers just present you with a handheld terminal with a touch screen or even a smartphone to scrawl your signature on.

Russell.

In which case I just preface my sig with "without prejudice" and sign it underneath. People may scoff, but it worked in my favour this year when I ordered some car bits. The carrier was the one that is very similar sounding to NOdel.

graham.

Thread: Workshop Lighting
27/08/2014 03:48:00
Posted by Geoff~ on 21/08/2014 11:11:12:

That sounds like a major investment Graham, which make of tube did you go for?

Geoff~

They are Philips branded and were £21 each - they fit right into the original fittings.

graham.

Thread: How do I delete my account?
26/08/2014 20:20:34

I just can't work out why someone would want to delete their account. It's not as if it would cost you anything to keep it, your posts don't vanish and you effectively lock yourself out of the forum.

Each to their own though,
graham.

Thread: warco wm18 versus chester century
26/08/2014 08:59:52

Well, I have the Chester machine. I can only say that Chester were brilliant at sorting out a simple fault with the machine and they were not obliged to as I was not the original purchaser.

For a small Mill I have found it to be quite versatile and I fitted a simple DRO system bought from Arceuro and it was worth the effort. Mine didn't have a stand and so I made one and after looking at the stands "in the flesh" so to speak I wouldn't have bought one as they are just a big cupboard. They weigh in at 165 kilos or thereabouts so they are no lightweight but I happen to have a very handy son who is built like the proverbial Brick outhouse and a prospective Son in Law the same (I think they make them bigger nowadays) so with a bit of "guidence" they put it in place for me.

I will be buying another Mill to go alongside this one and the Chester 626 is probably going to be it. Here is a pic of mine, taken just yesterday:

century mill.jpg

Thread: Not a "modeller"!
25/08/2014 22:09:16
Posted by alan frost on 25/08/2014 21:38:54:

Got an idea. If someone could write an article for MEW on making model axes then someone else could write a little article on grinding them.

LMAO!
The best comment in the thread in my opinion.

graham.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
25/08/2014 15:12:23

I have repaired and painted the living room door today. One of my dogs has worked out how to open doors but the next step is to teach him how to do this gently!

graham.

24/08/2014 10:12:47
Posted by Bazyle on 23/08/2014 22:42:30:

Painted house chimney cap. Pretty good view from 1200 ft asl. Not as good a job as I would like but running out of summer days. Wonder what age I will have to give up this sort of DIY caper - 75? Lit fire this evening - in August!

As my roof is now dry-ish I will be climbing up later to remove the antennas that were blown cockeyed during the storms. The ones I told the last antenna installer to take down, but didn't. I will let you know how I get on.

graham.

Thread: Jointing compounds
24/08/2014 03:55:05

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest