By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Oompa Lumpa

Here is a list of all the postings Oompa Lumpa has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: LEDs ... The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
05/10/2014 19:49:26

Frankly Michael, I cannot remember. They have been there for three years now and they are in daily use.

The issue with LED's I feel is they are developing so fast some people are reluctant to dip their toe in, but my question for those people is - When do you want to start saving money? I have a LOT of LED lights in the office and workshop, even the fluorescents are now LED and it has made a difference.

graham.

05/10/2014 16:33:09

Here you go, this is all LED strip.

leds-01.jpg

leds-02.jpg

Gives you a general idea anyhow. Works well.

graham.

05/10/2014 16:10:30
Posted by Michael Horner on 05/10/2014 11:56:49:

Hi

Anybody used the 5M LED strips to make up lighting strips. I desparately need some extra lighting, I have 1 CFL in a single garage. I was going to go down the flourescent tube route and saw this thread.

TIA

Michael.

I have used them extensively in my office and workshop with great success. I will try to dig some pictures up. What I did was nail plasterers J Bead up towards the top of the walls and then blend it in with plaster. I then ran LED strip around the walls so it gives an uplight effect.

graham.

Thread: Milling Vice ......... Avice.
05/10/2014 09:39:51

It doesn't matter which vice you buy, you will always have that nagging doubt in the back of your mind that "another brand" would have been a better decision!

I would go with a combination of suggestions given above. For some jobs, a vice is the simplest, quickest and most accurate solution. The Vertex vice Jason uses are around £70 so there is about half your budget, then you could buy a toolmakers style vice with three inch jaws and these can be had for around £50 from Arc. Then get yourself a clamp kit (£30 ish from Chester) and you have most of your bases covered. As you go along you can collect up other things such as parallels and angle plates. For a start a couple of pieces of tool steel can be used as parallels but then you can try out the various solutions. Personally I use a set of so-called Wavy Parallels most as these are - in my opinion - the most versatile.

Angle plates, hardened steel ball race outers and all sorts of things I have to help getting a grip of whatever I am working on are all in a drawer under the Mill. The page Bob linked to is a useful reference and I suggest you either bookmark it or print it out for future, ie when you get your Mill. In my humble opinion, fifty percent of Mill work is figuring out how to get a grip of some awkward shape so it won't move during machining.

graham.

Thread: Free Plastic
04/10/2014 21:24:42
Posted by AndyB on 04/10/2014 21:03:13:

Hi Graham,

I hope I am not too late. I have sent you a PM.

Many thanks.

Andy

It is never too late Andy!

graham.

Thread: Please take care when posting or responding off forum
04/10/2014 21:21:09
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/09/2014 17:24:06:

Most advertisers and respondents are genuine, but gthere are exceptions. Several people (including me) have had 'phishing' responses purporting to be from Belarus, for example.

Neil

I confess. I had placed a small "wanted" ad on another forum I frequent and I did receive two offers for the item I was looking for. One reply was from a very nice chap in Glamorgan who had exactly what I was looking for. Another was from a "person" in Belarus (can't these people at least get creative with their names - they used the same one everywhere) so I confess to having baited the person relentlessly but my last request to see the actual item balanced on a certain body part - just to prove they have the item you see - was met by silence and now I cannot get a response from the people, they are ignoring me. I really wanted theirs too

Childish I know, but it amused me.

graham.

Edited By Oompa Lumpa on 04/10/2014 21:21:48

04/10/2014 20:48:35

Well, here we are again boys and girls, more plastic (my missus is starting to get suspicious).

After my last foray I thought - "oh this will be more than enough" - little did I know how much interest this had garnered. Anyway, Friday last I collared the ever enthusiastic Reece and off we went for another bootfull!

plastic0112.jpg

We had to empty the skip out again because, naturally, the booty was all at the bottom - but we came away with a good haul:

plastic-011.jpg

I made up another nine packages and they are on their way to the lucky recipients

So, the deal is guys I am just plodding on and I will make my way through the list. This is ongoing and it looks like I will be having permanent access to this supply so there is no panic - a sort of endless supply.

I will be having a bit of a reconciliation as to what has been sent out and what needs sending out tomorrow and get back to you all with a realistic idea as to the length of the ongoing shipping as I really did not expect the level of interest. It takes me a good half day to cut up, bundle, weigh and make secure about ten packages and then I need to sort the shipping. I am not moaning about this, I think it is great, but I need to fit it in my week. I wish I could just take time out and concentrate on all the orders but this is just not possible so I do as much as I can then get on with work until the next opportunity.

Finally, on the subject of overseas posting. I have had a number of enquiries from people who want to know if I will post overseas. The answer is yes of course. If you pay the postage I will ship it. I can get extremely good rates if I send via sea as opposed to airmail which is prohibitively expensive. The only downside is it takes a little longer, typically 14 to 21 days to the US for instance.

graham.

Thread: welding bms
16/09/2014 21:35:09
Posted by Mick Henshall on 16/09/2014 19:58:13:

I've just googled and found a piece on "Lincoln Electric"website and apparently it can't with much success so I

May try silver soldering

Mick

It all depends who is doing the welding. Generally speaking everything metal can be welded (there are a few notable exceptions) and I have never had a problem with leaded steel.

graham.

Thread: Rubber Sheeting on Offer
15/09/2014 21:43:21

Very interesting. I wonder if I can line my Acids box with some of this?

graham.

15/09/2014 19:38:17

First off - Trevor (Toolgrinding) please check your messages.

Well, so far so good. I managed to get nine parcels out last week and I am going to try to get ten away this week. It is taking me a little longer than I thought as I am having to be quite careful with the packaging so I am having to cut the sheets to make them fit my template. The last thing I want is the parcel man to appear on someone's doorstep and ask for payment for an "oversize" parcel. That would be embarrassing.

I sincerely hope everyone is happy so far and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. The only thing is that this will take longer than I thought as I have quite a list to get through.

graham.

Thread: Drilling stainless steel
15/09/2014 08:09:03
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 14/09/2014 21:59:24:

I posted the following comments recently on the forum. The MAFord drills have done many a hole in calipers for homemade DRO's.

http://www.maford.com/products/index.aspx?series=200

Good luck, JD

Jeff, very useful, where do you buy them from?

Thanks
graham.

14/09/2014 21:47:33

This is all very well, I drilled half a dozen holes myself in some stainless 316 today, it isn't difficult, but the OP is drilling through a vernier caliper which is induction hardened stainless. And it really is drill resistant. Far easier to grind through the stuff because you will quickly spend real money replacing some quite expensive cobalt drills if you go down that route. The other alternative is a Carbide Plate drill (NOT dinner!) John Moore showed me some very useful examples, maybe he will come by in a bit and remind me.

graham.

14/09/2014 20:08:35

Yes, this has been covered a few times. The issue is that the stainless is actually hardened. I have had success with a small diamond burr in the Dremel.

Though I am seriously considering building a Spark Eroder.

graham.

Edited By Oompa Lumpa on 14/09/2014 20:09:42

Thread: modifying Schaublin collets
13/09/2014 23:03:22
Posted by Emma Watley on 08/09/2014 21:42:27:

hi im new and just started an engineering course in college, just on here to look for help and advice, emma x

You are the daughter of Godzilla and I claim my five pounds!

graham.

Thread: Backyard Casting
12/09/2014 16:15:20

Here you are, I bought these molds as a "kit" with the ladle and spring clamp when I was on holiday with my parents in Sweden from a toy shop. I would be around twelve at the time. I made a good number of soldiers and painted them and then sold enough to cover the cost of the kit. The white metal was helpfully provided by my uncle who was a craftsman turner for Head Wrightsons in Teesside - when the place was actually in existence - now long gone. Wonder what the parents would say today if little Jimmy came home with this lot!

soldiers.jpg

Thread: CovMac Lathes
11/09/2014 22:16:16

Don't use rollers. Far easier to put angle iron down and slide along the tops. Mr Stevenson describes this in detail somewhere but there is no risk of it falling off rollers this way.

graham.

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
10/09/2014 21:15:21
Posted by Bazyle on 10/09/2014 17:42:40:

Too late for Clive but thick felt is available from Piano parts suppliers.

That is very helpful. I am restoring a Hydrovane compressor and need some thick felt. Now to find a piano parts supplier

graham.

Thread: Backyard Casting
10/09/2014 09:24:22
Posted by Bogstandard2 on 09/09/2014 06:34:44:

As you know Graham, when it comes to certain things, especially ones you want to repeat many times over, it is much better if you can make a more permanent mould.

John

But as you know John, it is far easier for me to just come 'round your house and pinch a couple from under the bench!
The one I made Sunday was more like a sledgehammer

Definitely the way to go though if you want a steady supply of lead hammers as they do deform during use and that is the whole idea.

graham.

Thread: Workshop Electrics
09/09/2014 21:41:53

There is a fairly simple - and reasonably priced - dodge around most of this certification malarkey.

Just take out a maintenance contract with British Gas. They will be straight 'round doing a "survey" and not only will they certify your electrics, they will check the gas too and certify that.

As Paul says, if the installation is already there, there is nothing stopping you "repairing" it, say by replacing the old wire with new. I too have my C&G part III Electrical Engineering (somewhere) and yet I need a window cleaner sans ladder to "certify" it.

graham.

Thread: Adcock& Shipley horizontal Mill
09/09/2014 19:15:56

Mick, you have PM.

graham.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Meridienne; London MES
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest