By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steamgeek

Here is a list of all the postings Steamgeek has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Brass purchase
23/12/2018 13:59:48

Try these guys, they are normally about 20% cheaper then the rest

https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/?utm_source=googleadwords&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbLRj8i5SOgn9GQRE7AaoRPWe6QAA6OBy-Mb79yJnkFPKdDauGZrGMoaAvevEALw_wcB

Thread: Do you accept rave tool reviews as gospel?
16/04/2018 16:02:20

There is absolutely no guarantee that the quality of the tool reviewed will be the same quality that you receive once you part with your hard earned cash. We know from experience the output from China can be of very variable quality, I doubt that the sample for review is representative of the normal production line quality.

At the end of the day You Tubers who chose to partake in this advertising charade are putting their own reputation on the line

Thread: Chester 16V Mill
31/03/2018 08:32:59

When you bolt the column back on the mill table it is worth checking the nod on the mill, the only way to correct the nod on this model of mill is to shim between the column and the mill table. The last time I took the column of a similar mill I needed a 24" breaker bar to release the bolts, so I put the back with the same bar

Thread: super heaters
19/03/2018 19:02:53

Adding a small amount of common or garden table salt to flux when silver soldering stainless does significantly help the process, irrespective of your personal beliefs of how effective the superheaters / steam dryers are:

Thread: Safety Valve
15/03/2018 18:47:00

Polly sell the Gordon Smith safety valve drawings for 50p and have the springs and balls to match.

They probably don't list a one for a 5" Tich, but they give some indication of suitability for loco size

I have yet to see a loco fitted with this design safety valves fail the accumulation test

Thread: Making BA studs
30/01/2018 14:13:08

Coventry Grinders stock silver steel in 7/64 and 9/64

Thread: Martin Evans Royal Engineer
03/10/2017 07:19:27

Thanks all for the info, especially the link to the ME index

02/10/2017 17:35:30

Did Martin Evans serialize the building of Royal Engineer in ME ?

If he did any idea of when it was published ?

Thread: CAMLOCK D1-4 VS FLANGE FITTING CHUCK MOUNT, ADVISE PLEASE
19/06/2017 15:54:54

Camlock everytime, word of caution the imported back plates are generally of poor quality for the fit and finish of the locking pins. I search out secondhand backplates much better quality and generally a better price

Thread: Using nitrile balls in clack valves
15/04/2017 11:28:07

Sorry too quick on the post button

Maccs Models normally have a good supply at reasonable prices

15/04/2017 11:25:53

Nitrile balls have a habit of floating, problem becomes obvious with vertical clacks below the boiler water level when the boiler is not under pressure they will leak. Normally once pressure starts to build ( 3-4 psi ) they seal effectively. A solution to this is have a small screw in the top of the clack valve to force the ball down when not under pressure and stopping any leaks. Challenge here is to remember to unscrew it before running or you quickly start wondering why your injectors will not work.

Thread: injector problems still
02/03/2017 09:20:05

Having purchased injectors from all parties mentioned, I have to put my hand up and say they have all worked without complaint and that has been the experience of a lot of my friends in the hobby.

My personal view is that injectors are often treated as a fit and forget item ( and clack valves for that matter ). I clean my injectors after every run, normally with compressed air and then a quick dip in white vinegar every 6 weeks or so during the peak of the running season to clean up any scale on the cones.

Poor installation of injectors is often the root cause of peoples woes, poor pipework, air leaks on the water feed , no filters on the water feed and if there are filters , when were they last cleaned out?

When you look at the price we pay for these fittings and compare that to the amount of effort, skill and tooling required to produce a similar item in your workshop it's not a bad deal , will they have quality issues from time to time? of course they will and when they do encounter problems we ask them to deal with them promptly.

I am not associated with any of the suppliers mentioned, I am a club boiler inspector so do see more than my fair share of problems with injectors.

Thread: Workshops
22/02/2017 18:28:38

I am surprised we have not seen a picture of an armchair, tablet and slippersdevil

Thread: ALIGN POWER FEED SPARES
16/07/2015 18:24:50

Found a US company who will ship internationally, needed a control board for a Align 500 £130 UK price , $54 in the US plus $25 international shipping, ~ £6 vat to pay plus the Post Office £8 surcharge should still save me £50

Here is the link www.bestlinepro.com

Service so far has been excellent, dealt with all my questions with next working day

Thread: Simple way to control nema stepper motor
30/03/2015 09:59:07

Hi Ray

I have never gone above 500, I am using mine for a power feed on an ML7 cross feed so slow is the name of the game for me.

I have just been down the workshop to try it and I do have the same fault.

I am using a 24v 5A transformer to power the unit, and briefly switched it over to a 12v 63a leisure battery and the fault was the same

Regards

David

Thread: Thank you
29/03/2015 20:28:57

Hello Brian

I am looking for the Articles on the Springbok vols 121 - 123 , I would be extremely gratefull if you could supply them on a pdf

Regards

David

Thread: Archive Content
29/03/2015 12:10:27

I am planning to start building a Martin Evans Springbok loco, and as I understand it was serialised in ME vols 121 - 123, my question is if I take out a digital subscription would I get access to these volumes through the archive?

Thread: Simple way to control nema stepper motor
17/03/2015 08:25:16

I spent a couple of months researching this topic and eventually turned up that device, I did not find any alternatives. What started as a relatively simple idea turned out to be quite a chore, but I have to say I am very pleased with the result. I did think about powering a rotary table for the mill using the same solution.

17/03/2015 07:47:24

I used one of these **LINK** with a TB6560 board and a 24 volt power supply and it works a treat.

I used it to make a cross slide power feed for my ML7, have a look in my photo album

Thread: Myford Super 7 - Adding Power Cross Feed
16/02/2015 18:01:34

Especially if it's 5" and cast iron

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest